2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

mag

The criteria are set up well before the season starts and are well-known by coaches. It is not like it is a big surprise.

And it is not like SC isn’t known for sending skaters out who do not meet the criteria when it suits them. Again, confidence is a huge part of figure skating success. Being able to bring it under pressure and get on the podium at Nationals should mean something. And again, again, Millard also performed very well during the summer series and I believe was the only BC novice girl who earned a bye to Challenge so clearly she has been more consistent than Zhu or Harwood.

DE93

And it is not like SC isn’t known for sending skaters out who do not meet the criteria when it suits them. Again, confidence is a huge part of figure skating success. Being able to bring it under pressure and get on the podium at Nationals should mean something. And again, again, Millard also performed very well during the summer series and I believe was the only BC novice girl who earned a bye to Challenge so clearly she has been more consistent than Zhu or Harwood.
Is it possible she was offered the opportunity & turned it down? (Genuinely asking).

mag

Is it possible she was offered the opportunity & turned it down? (Genuinely asking).

I suppose so but I doubt it. It is also possible they are sending another team to a later comp. It would just seem strange to send one (or I suppose 2, I can’t remember who was 6th) out separately from the rest.

Sylvia

TBD
Local Vancouver article on Emily Millard, 14, after she won the Novice bronze medal at 2019 Canadians: https://www.nsnews.com/sports/north...ls-at-figure-skating-u17-nationals-1.23611753
Millard has been skating since the age of four and was initially coached by North Vancouver legend Karen Magnussen. She trained for many years with the Vancouver Skating Club in North Vancouver before moving to the Champs International Skating Centre of B.C. in Burnaby in 2018, and is now coached by Joanne McLeod.

Millard is an all-around athlete who competed in track and field at Handsworth and with the NorWesters Track and Field Club. She won bronze in Grade 8 girls pentathlon at last year’s B.C. high school track and field championships.
Perhaps Millard is under consideration for a later novice international assignment that may be more compatible with McLeod's schedule? As I mentioned earlier, Skate Canada sent a large team to Egna Spring Trophy last year (juniors & novices).

mag

Nice article about Emily. It is great when local papers recognize athletes in the community. I hadn’t realized she was coached by Karen - that must have been just very early on as she has been retired since 2011. I know Emily was coached by Sherry Solecki and then Tina Leininger at the Vancouver Skating Club. (No, I don’t have any real inside knowledge, but the skating community is really not that big and I have seen Emily with her coaches at local competitions over the years.) She seems like a really hard working kid so hopefully she will continue to progress. Maybe she will be considered for one of the North American novice comps in the fall.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
All I can say following 4CC short program - I hope Gabby's gonna be ready. Austman missed the TES by 0.01 after falling on her double axel (she'd have been close to 60), but she still beat a clean Mallet (barely). Alaine did all double jumps and is in second last....

Please let Cotop get the TES minimums this week-end so we can have some good news on the Canadian ladies front...

Colonel Green

All I can say following 4CC short program - I hope Gabby's gonna be ready. Austman missed the TES by 0.01 after falling on her double axel (she'd have been close to 60), but she still beat a clean Mallet (barely). Alaine did all double jumps and is in second last....

Please let Cotop get the TES minimums this week-end so we can have some good news on the Canadian ladies front...
I thought Veronik was a smidge underscored, even if her tech content isn't exactly high. Her being away for so long probably didn't help there.

Rock2

I thought Veronik only got level 2 on her step sequence. That surprised me if correct.

Yes, and two level 3s.
I thought her skating lacked power compared to her usual self today and her jumps were much smaller than I have seen in the past. As a result, not much GoE to be had.

And, as much as she's adorable, her program looks juvenile back to back against Larkyn.

caseyedwards

Canada ladies
Austman 4CC 11th place- 4th place nationals
Mallet 4CC 12th -Nationals bronze ,
Chartrand 4CC 21st -National Champ

Last edited:

Rafter

She did.

The finer details of that are beyond my ability to observe, but on a performance level I thought it was great.

It's such a shame that Larkyn doesn't have the tech, because she's got tons of presence on the ice.

I agree Austman has some presence on the ice but she’s as slow as molasses out there. She also telegraphs her jumps badly and her spins are slow. With no triple-triple and no 3flip or 3lutz in the SP, she’d get buried at Worlds.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I agree Austman has some presence on the ice but she’s as slow as molasses out there. She also telegraphs her jumps badly and her spins are slow. With no triple-triple and no 3flip or 3lutz in the SP, she’d get buried at Worlds.

I just had a look at the ladies' short program scores from Europeans, and if everyone skates in Saitama as they did yesterday in Anaheim and last month in Minsk, then Austman would be on the knife edge of qualification.

Rock2

With Mallet qualified for world's I really wanted to see a 3T/3T attempted here. At this point I'd almost prioritize a hobbling Pineault over her. I'm losing interest.

I am sooooo curious to see what Cotop attempts this weekend in the short. How do you balance showing upgraded content with not inserting undue risk that prevents you from qualifying? I just think her short program plan for Nationals leaves her zero room for error to get 29.

I'm going to guess 3T/2T and 3F becomes the strategy for this event. And then if she goes to world's she works to get the 3T/3T back in place to qualify for the free. Crossing my fingers.

Colonel Green

With Mallet qualified for world's I really wanted to see a 3T/3T attempted here. At this point I'd almost prioritize a hobbling Pineault over her. I'm losing interest.
I spoke to Veronik at Nationals. At that point, she was hoping to reintroduce the other toe jumps and maybe the 3-3 next season.

mag

Well the obvious one is not insisting Austman land a 3/3 in competition prior to giving her SC in 2017. It is clear that was the criteria because she messed up the one in the short at BC Summerskate so decided to go for a 3F/3T in the long (a combo she doesn’t have) and it backfired. Yet, she still got SC over other senior ladies who had landed clean 3/3’s in the pre season.

The sad part about this is I think it has totally backfired for Austman. Yes, she is an Olympian and that is nothing to sneeze at, but it might have light a fire under her if they had given SC to someone else. I know for a fact she has landed 3S/3T in practice many times, yet she is no longer even bothering to train it. Her programs are now completely stripped of anything other than arm choreography, she is stalking her jumps, and had watered down content. This is a skater who had a 2A,3S,3T by about 13, and was trying 3loops in competition at 14. She is 21 and basically has gone back 7 years in her content. Why? Because she can. She can show up and still get 8.00’s from the Canadian judge. The Australian judge was the only one brave enough to give her what she really earned.

Rock2

I spoke to Veronik at Nationals. At that point, she was hoping to reintroduce the other toe jumps and maybe the 3-3 next season.

Yeah and I'm hoping to launch my talk show on NBC daytime by then, too. It's great to have goals.

I do wish her well with that but until then I'm a bit more focused on who's ready to make an impression on behalf of Canada at this point in time.

Colonel Green

Is Daleman still under consideration for worlds? Does anyone know?
They haven't phrased it quite so bluntly, but the only reason Gabby would not be sent to Worlds is if she doesn't want to go.

As for whether she and her coaches think it's a good idea, still TBD. She posted a video of herself doing a 2A-3T earlier today, though, so I'd guess she's still hoping to go.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Is Daleman still under consideration for worlds? Does anyone know?

man.. with Worlds in Montreal next year it would be a shame if they only have one ladies entry at their hosted Worlds.....

:(

Hopefully Daleman or Cotop (should she get minimums) or whoever can stay strong next month finishes high enough for 2....

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
They haven't phrased it quite so bluntly, but the only reason Gabby would not be sent to Worlds is if she doesn't want to go.

As for whether she and her coaches think it's a good idea, still TBD. She posted a video of herself doing a 2A-3T earlier today, though, so I'd guess she's still hoping to go.

Wow! That tech alone would beat Chartrand!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

One of the harsh realities of competitive skating is what athletes were capable of doing last year (or even last week), they may not be able to do now. Whether Austman is seen practicing certain jump combinations or not, may simply mean that the skater has reached her technical ceiling. She would know her own limitations better than anyone.

Sometimes it is better to take risks at smaller competitions with no consequences, than bigger events like the national championships or Four Continents.

At this stage Austman and Mallet are out there doing their best with what they have.

fsfann

man.. with Worlds in Montreal next year it would be a shame if they only have one ladies entry at their hosted Worlds.....

:(

Hopefully Daleman or Cotop (should she get minimums) or whoever can stay strong next month finishes high enough for 2....

Yes, but do we really deserve more than one spot?? I really don't think we do at this point. Of course, if Kaetlyn Osmond is back (which I don't) then I would say it would be nice to have 2... but we don't have the depth to warrant two at this point in time IMO.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
How bad do the Canadian ladies have to do at Worlds to lose all spots for next year? I'm getting Susan Humphries vibes.

skatingguy

decently
How bad do the Canadian ladies have to do at Worlds to lose all spots for next year? I'm getting Susan Humphries vibes.
Well if all 3 miss the free skate that would do it - basically all finishing lower than 14th and we'll have one spot for next season.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Sorry state of affairs for our women :( I must say that I really enjoyed Mallet long program it was simple yet beautiful. I prefer her over Austman and now that Austman doesn’t have the minimums she is out of the mix. But NBC broadcasters .. Tara said the Veronique said it might be her final skate?

starrynight

Sorry state of affairs for our women :( I must say that I really enjoyed Mallet long program it was simple yet beautiful. I prefer her over Austman and now that Austman doesn’t have the minimums she is out of the mix. But NBC broadcasters .. Tara said the Veronique said it might be her final skate?

Forgive me for being out of the loop, but is there an issue with having the minimum score for Worlds entry?

Who will Canada send?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information