2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

danafan

Canadian ladies über
A new season is here so I thought I'd start the next thread for the Canadian ladies.

The big news is that world champion Kaetyln Osmond is taking the grand prix season off. I hope she will come back for nationals/worlds. It would be great to keep three ladies spots for 2020 worlds in Montreal.

Grand Prix assignments are out. Gabby Daleman got Skate Canada and NHK. Alaine Chartrand and Larkyn Austman were assigned Skate Canada. To be honest, I was hoping they would leave a TBD for Skate Canada and see if anyone shows well in the summer.

The first three JGP assignments were posted on Skate Canada's site today. Aurora Cotop (JGP Slovakia), Alison Schumacher (JGP Austria), and Emily Bausback (JGP Lithuania). This is the third JGP season for Bausback and second for Cotop and Schumacher (third season of junior international competition for Cotop).

https://skatecanada.ca/event-schedule/#tab-31263c319f20cf01436

Canada should have three spots at the Vancouver JGP that aren't assigned yet, and one spot at JGP in Slovenia according to the ISU announcement.

Several top skaters are scheduled to compete at summer competitions including Minto and Quebec Summer skate. These events should help decide some other international assignments.

I noticed on instagram https://www.instagram.com/kimmie_skate/ that 2014 junior Canadian champion Kim Deguise-Léveillée has relocated to Oakville. I wonder who is coaching her? She was sixth at 2018 nationals, the highest finisher who did not get an international assignment that season and I felt she was overlooked.

Of course I'm very curious to see how Chartrand rebounds this year, and who her coach(es) will be.

And I have tickets for the Autumn Classic so I hope to see a few of our Canadians skate there!

Let the new season begin!

honey

Do we know anything yet about Alaine’s coaching situation? McLoed was with her at 4CC and many of her Instagram pictures in the spring were tagged in Vancouver. More recently she’s been tagging places in Ontario. Anyone have any intel on this?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Do we know anything yet about Alaine’s coaching situation? McLoed was with her at 4CC and many of her Instagram pictures in the spring were tagged in Vancouver. More recently she’s been tagging places in Ontario. Anyone have any intel on this?

No intel, but she's on her way to Vancouver today based on her latest instagram story.

coppertop1

I think it's really important she gets away from her father who I have heard from a reliable source, gives Alaine a really hard time when she doesn't win. No skater needs that lack of parental understanding.

That may explain part of her problems last season. I still question if Joanne McLeod is an ideal choice.

IMO, Skate Canada should start looking at some of the younger skaters more instead of going with the established ones all the time. We have two world contenders in Kaetlyn and Gabby. We should start looking at the future prospects.

Rock2

IMO, Skate Canada should start looking at some of the younger skaters more instead of going with the established ones all the time. We have two world contenders in Kaetlyn and Gabby. We should start looking at the future prospects.

I'm not really sure what that means. You look at everyone and give everyone an equal chance. Monitoring Alaine sacrifices zero resources that go against other skaters.

Whoever monitors well (combined with past results) gets assignments. Plenty to go round. Whoever crushes it at nationals gets international assignments in the spring and fall. Sounds simple to me.

Until we have 7 or 8 CAN ladies doing 6-7 triple programs on the regular we can discuss making way for the up-and-comers, IMHO.

Rock2

Katta

I think it's really important she gets away from her father who I have heard from a reliable source, gives Alaine a really hard time when she doesn't win. No skater needs that lack of parental understanding.

I met her grandmother at last year's Skate Canada in Regina. She was not a happy camper after the short program. She was telling me how they all had their air and hotel as well as event tickets already for Korea...... and that "Alaine knows what she has to do" Ouch!!
The conversation left me kind of cold and feeling sad for Alaine :(

barbarafan

Completely OT -- and I'm sure I'll hear it from the CAN Ladies Uber over this -- but what jumped out at me on the link was the list of boys staying junior...PLUS....FINALLY.....Gogolev.

I feel like I've aged over a decade waiting for this guy to skate internationally.
He's prob 6ft 2 now and can't rotate his jumps, but whatev. Good to see him finally eligible

Hope his body gives him a bit of a lull for a few months.He has been growing some but is still pretty squishy.

coppertop1

I met her grandmother at last year's Skate Canada in Regina. She was not a happy camper after the short program. She was telling me how they all had their air and hotel as well as event tickets already for Korea...... and that "Alaine knows what she has to do" Ouch!!

Ever heard of don't count your chickens? I wonder what they did with the tickets. No one needs that kind of pressure. It reminds me of how Vanessa Atler self-destructed prior to the 2000 Summer Olympics.
If she has a good summer of training, I hope she busts out a 4T attempt in a senior B or on the GP. If there's a year to experiment, this is it.

I would love to see that! I wonder what she would change her 3-3 combo to.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

That reminds me of Joan Ryan's book, Little Girls In Pretty Boxes, on the section detailing Kristi Phillips rise and fall in US Gymnastics. The athlete said she felt incredible pressure from her family leading into the US Olympic Trials for Seoul, where making the team would validate the time and money spent on her.

Rock2

I wouldn't expect Gabby to try the 4T in the short (are women allowed to?). She'd probably test it in the LP.

I would also expect she'll try the 3Z+3T and 3F layout in SP. Having said that her old layout might be better under the new GoE rules. I'm sure she'll experiment with both to compare results.

Cleo1782

Not a Canadian team, but I knew a heavily favored US pair team that already had all their arrangements for Vancouver in 2010 and didn't make the team. They ended up offering up their tickets and accommodations to another team that made it lol. I am not surprised Alaine's family did this as she seemed all but a lock as did the US pair team. Oh well as they say ice is slippery.........

Marco

I would also expect she'll try the 3Z+3T and 3F layout in SP. Having said that her old layout might be better under the new GoE rules. I'm sure she'll experiment with both to compare results.

She tried 3lutz3toes a few times in competition before but the rotation and quality was nowhere near that for her signature 3toe3toes and that's why she reverted back. And I agree she will likely earn +4s / +5s for her better 3toe3toes.

Rock2

She tried 3lutz3toes a few times in competition before but the rotation and quality was nowhere near that for her signature 3toe3toes and that's why she reverted back. And I agree she will likely earn +4s / +5s for her better 3toe3toes.

I think she will revisit. She was doing lutz combo in 2013-15 and she's a much better jumper now. The 3Z+3T she has posted on Insta definitely have GoE potential.

Cleo1782

The problem is if you wait until after selection it's so close to the games that your costs could be dramatically higher. Tough spot.
Yes that is so true. For Vancouver it was super difficult for a team who really had no notion they were going to make it to find housing and tickets for the family. They were lucky the other team offered it up otherwise the whole family wouldn't have been able to go. It was a nice gesture on the other team's part. Very good sportsmanship on their part and made me respect them a lot.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

I think she will revisit. She was doing lutz combo in 2013-15 and she's a much better jumper now. The 3Z+3T she has posted on Insta definitely have GoE potential.
Under the new GOE rules I would say she should probably keep the 3T-3T in the short program, but she needs to start incorporating other combinations into the FS because using both her 3Ts in one go has stuck her with a too-low base value that leaves her with no real cushion if she doesn't skate perfectly.

Cleo1782

That reminds me of Joan Ryan's book, Little Girls In Pretty Boxes, on the section detailing Kristi Phillips rise and fall in US Gymnastics. The athlete said she felt incredible pressure from her family leading into the US Olympic Trials for Seoul, where making the team would validate the time and money spent on her.
Her mom was known to be especially intense, but didn't the media play a huge part too? Calling her the next Mary Lou on the cover of Sports Illustrated.. But I also remember athletes from Seoul wouldn't let her set up mats or equipment because her and her mom were saying she was one athlete injury away from making the team (she was an alternate). How awful..

savchenkoboss

Banned Member

If Daleman does not earn lots of +5s for her best 3toe3toes I have seen her do I will be pissed. If she were wearing a Russian or American flag it would be a lock.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Her mom was known to be especially intense, but didn't the media play a huge part too? Calling her the next Mary Lou on the cover of Sports Illustrated.. But I also remember athletes from Seoul wouldn't let her set up mats or equipment because her and her mom were saying she was one athlete injury away from making the team (she was an alternate). How awful..

Yes, that was all detailed in Ryan's book. Especially the part about one of the athletes allegedly overhearing Phillips say that if she had a magic wand, she hoped one of the other girls would get hurt.

Kristi's mom indeed sounded like the ultimate stage parent, and a bit of a back-stabbing monster towards the other mom's at Karoli's who in any way, threatened her daughter's star.

US gymnastics was riding high after the LA Games. It is understandable that Sports Illustrated was looking for 'the next one'. But, what a hard label to live up to.

Cleo1782

Yes, that was all detailed in Ryan's book. Especially the part about one of the athletes allegedly overhearing Phillips say that if she had a magic wand, she hoped one of the other girls would get hurt.

Kristi's mom indeed sounded like the ultimate stage parent, and a bit of a back-stabbing monster towards the other mom's at Karoli's who in any way, threatened her daughter's star.

US gymnastics was riding high after the LA Games. It is understandable that Sports Illustrated was looking for 'the next one'. But, what a hard label to live up to.

Thanks it's been awhile since I read the book.
I always wondered what happened to the little girl (Holly Bragg) that her dad gave custody to the coach so she could skate. She never appears to have made it to Nationals, but a very non advanced internet search told me she wd from regionals in senior ladies in 2001, so she continued at least until senior. What an interesting story.
Anyway, go Canadian ladies lol!!!

Marco

Daleman already gets straight +3s for her best 3toe3toes already, so there's no reason to believe she won't get +4s and +5s this season.

That would make it competitive with the +1s or +2s lutz-toes, esp since her solo lutz would get better BV than the solo flips that others do.

savchenkoboss

Banned Member
In addition to her powerful jumping Daleman is improving so much artistically. Her short program last season espeicaly was beautiful. I hope she gets the PCS she deserves this year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information