#2 KAETLYN OSMOND : CANADA'S SWEETHEART

Messalina

I love Kaetlyn's skating so much and was very, very low when she was out for a year, then had her hard comeback year. Now I've just watched the videos from Finlandia and am SO looking forward to seeing her skate this weekend at SC!

These programs are perfect for her. To turn on its head a thing Jenny K. said about a skater who shall remain nameless: Kaetlyn skates like she loves her life. And that's part of why I love watching her, can't tear my eyes away. I also hold my breath when she flings herself into her HUGE, wild jumps ... but so worth it when she lands them. She is pure personality on ice.

I hope I am not jinxing Kaetlyn with my mash note here. Lol. But I have definitely put her in my predictions again. Go Kaetlyn!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
FIERCENESSS!!! Man I lovessss her

She scored higher on most elements than Medvev so trying to add up and see why she scored slightly higher than Osmond for technical mark.

After I saw 74 and change I thought she cold easily endup in first

I LOVE HER!!!

alexikeguchi

I haven't been a huge fan of Katelyn's overall since I prefer a more lyrical style, but what a fabulous performance today! She actually does look a little more refined to me while keeping the energy level that makes her so fun to watch and engaging. The music selection is perfect for her, and it is obvious how much she enjoys the program. She really ought to be in first by several points for superior execution and components; hopefully the FS will be equally fantastic.

Cachoo

I missed her last year. I don't want to get ahead of ourselves but I just have to say this: Gracie is so up and down. She can do it but will she do it? I think Wagner has grown in her confidence on the ice and I think Osmond is THE North American skater to watch this year. She is due and she is determined. Sometimes you just have a feeling...

clarie

That girl has something special, whether she skates well or not so well....just that presence on the ice. She's going to have a great career as a show skater once she's finished competing (which I hope is not for a while yet)....what an attitude, and it doesn't hurt that she's very very pretty. She took a step back last year, so it looks as though she's got the game now

bluesanymore

I liked the SP better than the FS but she is such an engaging performer! So happy for her.
She's come such a long way and here's hoping she stays healthy and more good things will come in the future!

kwancomeback

Fabulous competition for Osmond!

It is so fantastic to see her back at her very best and for me, she is absolutely the best performer out there :cheer2:

What I really like is that she seems to "fight" more, she fought for every landing and that fall on her 3Loop (when did she start to incorporate the loop in her LP?) did not affect the rest of the program.

For sure, her personality shines through more in the SP but I think this LP has a lot of potential too.

When landed, her jumps are out of this world and there is such spring and freedom to them..gives me the chills !

I hope she finds some consistency as no matter how good Medvedeva is, you really don't get that COP formated feeling when Osmond is skating..

The Canadian ladies are really doing well so far and Nationals will be very interesting!

For the moment, I préfère Osmond and Gabby but Chartrand is a fierce competitor too!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Whats amazing about Osmond is that when she jumps shes is almost always crooked or leaning in the air but still always lands them. She has so much power and she seems so fast while not losing any fluidity in movement.

I just love her.

I think I wold have had her in first place in SP.

Medev programs just seem like last years but with different music. I even thought for a moment her SP dress was last years free dress. Im also growing a bit tired of the overdramatic or pantamime acting that has to be in all of her programs. I havent seen any versatility yet from Medev,,,, same gloves, same exact hairstyle, (I do love how Ash and Duhamel mix theirs up), same dresses, same jump patterns. have never gone back and rewatched a Medev program but have watched Osmond's La vie En Rose more times than I could ever remember. lol

Anyway I ALWAYS prefer the woman (Osmond, Wagner, Asada, Kostner) over the girl.

Fingers crossed for Osmond to go to GPF.

And how exciting is it that Canada has 3 TOP WORLD LADIES CURRENTLY?

As much as i LOVE Osmond I must say I have my eyes on Daleman and Chartrand as well.... I wish I could redo Chartrand's SP dress and re-choreograh it. I know the sone Sway very well, and in my imagination I have me whole routine to it and how it should look on the ice.

Sylvia

TBD
Post-free skate comments to the media by a happy Kaetlyn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaKfyyeadUY

Steve Buffery's Ladies FS article: http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/29/gloomy-programs-excellent-scores
... Osmond, who admitted that during the recovery from her leg surgery in Sept. 2014, there were times when she didn’t think she’d make it back. In fact, her coach, Ravi Walia, had to come up with ways just to get her back on the ice.
“I think there was a very good possibility that she would not skate again after she broke her leg,” Walia said. “I remembered that the doctor told her she could come back to skating on a Monday, but she didn’t go back on Monday. I know she was afraid.”
Walia found subtle ways to get her back on the ice, like getting her excited about a coming show program. Eventually, after having a second operation to remove a screw in her leg, Osmond came around, though it wasn’t easy.
Last year she was back physically, but struggled and was unable to regain her national title. But after winning gold at the Finlandia Trophy earlier this month and finishing second to the world champion at Skate Canada on Saturday, Osmond is on cloud nine and determined to make noise at the 2018 Olympics.
“I’m beyond excited to be where I am right now,” she said. “Even moreso I’m excited about the fact I did make two personal best scores this weekend and they’re still a lot of room for improvement in my programs.”

shutterbug

Interesting (to me anyway) discussion between Ted Flett from Golden Skate & Elvis Stojko about Kaetlyn's jump technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WjI9GvfQJo Their conversation about KO starts at 16:00.

FWIW, watching her at SCI, I definitely felt she's made progress with her consistency since last year at Canadians. She typically practices as she competes, and at this competition was able to get her jumps back in practice after they started to go south. Last year, once they were gone, they were gone. It was very encouraging to see her do the same in the FP and come back with a strong flip after the fall on the loop. :) Very much deserved her score in the SP, IMHO, possibly a little overmarked in the FP, but so was Medvedeva.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I've been such a boob about her scores, but her jumps really are incredible. :respec: and she's very fast. :cheer: Plus she's a happy person and very positive and kind, she's going places. :kickass: Her skating has grown and is impressive to watch! And she's beautiful and has a great smile, her edges are very strong and did I mention that she's incredibly fast yet, because she is. :cool:

The rideout on her jump landings and the height :cheer:

Last edited:

shutterbug

Aww, Stephane Lambiel is a fan :): https://twitter.com/StephaneLambiel/status/799918937492180992
Absolutely LOVE @kaetlyn_23! Such a great skater! Just go for these jumps—no hesitation! #GPFigure
Congrats to her on qualifying for the GPF! :cheer2: Hope she skates her best and just enjoys the experience.

Also, she's going to be one of the guests on this week's "Ice Talk": https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/800466355862568961
This week on #IceTalk! We want your questions for guests @kaetlyn_23 and @JohnCoughlinUSA. Serious or 'Fire and Ice' themed! @icenetwork

yurokis40

she's great but can anybody fix her jump technique your always holding your breath when she goes full speed into her jumps I know she has kept the same coach all these years Ravie Walia her triple loop seems very problematic and its costing her a lot of points when she falls, I think she could be the best female skater in the world I can only imagine a coach of say Orser or Mishin stature what they could do with this girl.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
She's had so many lower leg injuries. I wonder if those frequently wild, almost always super powerful jumps are a cause? When she lands it cleanly, she has some of the best landings I've ever seen. But she's generating a lot of force, so I imagine the misses are rough.

Jammers

she's great but can anybody fix her jump technique your always holding your breath when she goes full speed into her jumps I know she has kept the same coach all these years Ravie Walia her triple loop seems very problematic and its costing her a lot of points when she falls, I think she could be the best female skater in the world I can only imagine a coach of say Orser or Mishin stature what they could do with this girl.
As long as she doesn't control her speed as she goes into her jumps they will always be a bit wild and i can't see her being consistent with that kind of technique.

Jeanne7

She actually has a great jump technique. It's just controlling the adrenaline and speed. Her speed is amazing.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Question....

Shes got great jumps... FLOW IN AND OUT of combinations and tremendous ride outs on all of them.. Question is is that she is leaning or tilted in the air on a lot of them but somehow lands them so well!!!! Could a judge ever give her a negative GOE because of the tilt in the air regardless of the speed, power and flow out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information