13-year-old Russian, Alexandra Trusova, is first female figure skater to land two quads (video)

Sylvia

TBD
Short article with clips of her 4S and 4T: http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/...eo-figure-skating-world-junior-championships/

From the ISU's recap titled Trusova (RUS) makes history with two quads in golden performance:
“I am very happy to have won, but I’m even happier to have landed the two quads. I prepared for that and I did it,” Trusova said.
“After I landed the quads, I was very happy, but I still had the rest of the program to do. There were still three difficult combinations to come and I had to pull myself together.”

Trusova's full free skate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EUyG7cA01o

mag

Very impressive! Here is her with the other two medalists on the podium and......notice her waist length hair ? :eek: On a 13 year old figure skater? That's gotta be a first! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5rqKuLqOc And, watch at the 5:00 mark where she's singing along to the Russian National Anthem! Talented and adorable!

She is a cutie! Oh, pretty much every 13 year old figure skater around here has waist length hair. It is the style and hasn’t been for quite a while.

barbarafan

:confused: Why is that "scary"? Sad for her, maybe. But people lose jumps all the time and nothing bad happens. :confused:

Anyway, those were very nice quads. The quality was actually better than when the Mens skaters started doing them way, way back when.

Hopefully she is watched carefully when she starts to grow. Our CDn male phenon is starting to grow and his practice of quads at all times is very limited but when he has any pain at all they do not let him jump at all. Of course if that happens and a competition is coming up she might not do well as training was not consistant but health and safety first. Each time there is a growth spurt technique might have to change slightly. It is a start stop situation but is doable.

Tinami Amori

Hopefully she is watched carefully when she starts to grow. Our CDn male phenon is starting to grow and his practice of quads at all times is very limited but when he has any pain at all they do not let him jump at all. Of course if that happens and a competition is coming up she might not do well as training was not consistant but health and safety first. Each time there is a growth spurt technique might have to change slightly. It is a start stop situation but is doable.
Trusova is not getting much bigger or taller. Her father is a fit athlete in triathlon, and mother is tiny, not much taller than Sasha, and her 2 brothers are thin and trim.. https://s10.stc.all.kpcdn.net/share/i/4/1376382/wx1080.jpg

oleada

I think this is awesome and a great athletic accomplishment :respec:

Even if she grows and can't land quads again, this is an amazing feat that should be celebrated. No one can take the away from her. Yes,she's small and young, but this is brutally hard. It hadn't been done by anyone before, for a reason.

I think it's so cool that the junior ladies champion has higher TES than the men's champion. I don't think this is the start of a quad revolution but it feels like a sort of tipping point.

ETA: she also had tried the 4S without success all year and to land it at her biggest stage of the season and throw in a 4T for good measure is ballsy as **** and shows she is a fierce competitor.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Maybe she'll have to trim a few pounds off her hair to compensate. I bet she has had her hair all her life - never cut it, that would be sad if she had to do so for skating.

you're right.. :D She gave her “hair story” in some earlier interview, after letting it out at either Rus. Nat or GPF. When she was very little she saw some fairy tale about a girl who had hair long enough to fall to the ground from a tall Tower and let a boy climb up (Rapunzel??). She found it fascinating, and decided something like “I will have the longest hair in the world and will never cut mine”. So since then she never had a hair cut, only trims few mm off the tips to keep it “clean”. (and i will not say what i think about women, especially women athletes, having long hair in 21st century... :lol:)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I watched her LP (haven't watched the SP yet). Amazing! She could beat many of the men. In the K&C she is just an adorable kid. I am happy that she is going for the most difficult jumps instead of putting all the jumps in the second half, which is the current trend. Congrats to her.

barbarafan

I watched her LP (haven't watched the SP yet). Amazing! She could beat many of the men. In the K&C she is just an adorable kid. I am happy that she is going for the most difficult jumps instead of putting all the jumps in the second half, which is the current trend. Congrats to her.
Be sure to watch the short. Her other talents show strongly as she is not rushing to get everything in. Her timing and spring is natural in her jumps and they just flow. She has lots of musicality, personality as well as great extension in legs and arms. I loved her spins as well. She is totally the whole package.

Skate Talker

I was cracking up every time she flipped her hair. I'm astonished at how she manages to get all that up into her bun.
I'm astonished she manages to jump with all that weight on her head! :lol:
Maybe it's just me but all that hair looks very thin and wispy so the bun and the weight don't seem that much of a problem to me. Perhaps even a help as the slight pull of the bun helps keep her chin up for the jumps (ala Stoyko)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information