2024 World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal

Judy

@Judy I’ve been looking at the Accuweather 15 day and 45 day projections. The reason I asked about snirt (the combo of snow and dirt still remaining several weeks after a storm) is that I have several boot choices. With minimal snirt, a low boot will do.
I’ve seen kids with running shoes in winter 🤪 I generally wear my boots until the salt is kinda gone vs ruining my shoes. I’ve never been in Montreal during winter but I know my city just uses a ton of salt.

Sonata

It’s unfortunate about poor sales, because Montreal is a great tourist city. The event is downtown, near so many shops and tourist attractions, and the metro is so easy to use. People can speak French if they want to, but still get around easily with English. There’s so much history there too and beautiful sites that make for great photos. After getting cancelled in 2020, Montreal worlds deserves a chance to shine.

Are ticket sales / format decided by Skate Canada or ISU?

Former Lurve Goddess

Considering that Montreal is currently the ice dance capital of the universe, had I been queen of the world;) I would have focused on pumping up the dance comp to local audiences and featuring La & La, Chock and Bates, Fear & Gibson, etc. The unfortunate situation around a certain other local Montreal-based team (whom I used to uber) does complicate things, however.

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Although I agree the tickets are too expensive, we need to remember Montreal costs for hotel and food is a lot less than Boston. I am paying $129 cdn a night walking distance from the rink for a nice hotel suite with kitchenette pool etc this is less than a $100 US. Meals out are cheaper as well. $574 cdn (which is $423 US) for a 7 day all event ticket I don’t think is that bad and unlike other Worlds includes the gala and practices? I spent more going to Helsinki worlds.

Last edited:

Sonata

To be fair, costs of everything are up substantially post pandemic. People who could make it work in early 2020 may be looking at their budgets and just saying no.
Agree, just saying Montreal is unfortunately victim to poor timing, twice. And I think it would be a place skating fans would enjoy. I am rather annoyed by the lack of variety in ticket packages.

Former Lurve Goddess

Montreal is a great place to hold this event for all the reasons noted above!

Tickets are expensive but one can easily expect to pay $500.00 for a one night rock concert?

Perhaps it is just easier to watch via streaming or on tv.
Tickets to see Taylor Swift in Toronto are a lot more than $500. And if it were up to me, I'd be getting after La Presse, Radio Canada, CBC Montreal and the Montreal Gazette to share La/La's Cup of China RD on their socials. And for historical context Michael Jackson rocks (and weirds out) Montreal.

Last edited:

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I’m just telling myself that even if ticket sales were great it’d still be unlikely we’d get Worlds back anytime soon. But hopefully the promos will step up the last two weeks and get some last-minute interest.

Former Lurve Goddess

I’m just telling myself that even if ticket sales were great it’d still be unlikely we’d get Worlds back anytime soon. But hopefully the promos will step up the last two weeks and get some last-minute interest.
Hmm... maybe I can whisper into the ears of some media people I know? ;) Come to think of it, there are a bunch of CanLit writers who are skating fans, maybe I can get some of them to do social media promo for Worlds. I'm sure there's slam poet out there who can annoy certain FSUers by doing a 3-minutes spoken word piece on Montreal: the Ice Dance Capital of the Universe.:D

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Hmm... maybe I can whisper into the ears of some media people I know? ;) Come to think of it, there are a bunch of CanLit writers who are skating fans, maybe I can get some of them to do social media promo for Worlds. I'm sure there's slam poet out there who can annoy certain FSUers by doing a 3-minutes spoken word piece on Montreal: the Ice Dance Capital of the Universe.:D
Do it!!!! This must happen! We need something to snark on during the next 3 weeks before Worlds starts!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Tickets are expensive but one can easily expect to pay $500.00 for a one night rock concert?

Acts can charge that much and more. That doesn't mean it's what ticket buyers are able or willing to pay.

I suspect that staging Worlds is nowhere near as expensive as staging a live music event in an arena. Even if the touring music act brings its own lights, sound system, stage, etc.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Yes at the main rink for practices but not sure if it also includes the practice rink 15 mins away (Verdun).
Skate Canada sent out an email promoting tickets for practices at Verdun Auditorium. Here is the link for tickets:

Karen-W

Well, heck, I need to reschedule my doctor's follow up appt since I'm not missing any of Worlds. I thought I selected a time that was in the window between the Pairs SP and Women's SP but it turns out not quite.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I'm trying to figure out about what time Group 5 of the RD will take the ice. Around 2:00? I'd like to see the last group of men practice at the secondary arena, but I think it might be cutting it too close to get back to the big arena.

Reactions: LSp

Judy

Perhaps it is just easier to watch via streaming or on tv.
People will always pay for something that is important to them. Inflation and the insane food prices are really making people choose. I cannot speak for everyone but … the inflation rate unexpectedly dropped to 2.9 but it’s going to have to hold at that rate too. My smaller mtg renews in May so I’m hoping for a prime rate drop as it’s gone up 8 times.

Karen-W

Ted Barton mentioned at the end of the Junior Worlds EX Gala livestream that Mark Hanretty will be the commentator for the ISU's livestream/world feed.
I figured as much - Mark posted a brief IG story earlier this week where he mentioned doing some commentary prep with his laptop screen showing an ISU bio and he tagged isufigureskating. DOI ends next week so the timing is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information