BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Since the TE is a unicorn, it has its own rules. It’s permissible to compete without having a skater or skaters in one discipline and this is now essentially what ROC did. I don’t have a problem with them keeping the bronze, their other skaters did well.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if they had competed without Valieva (meaning if they had not competed in the women's segment of the team event) they would not have won bronze.

There's no conceivable justification for this. "AndreyakaPushkin thinks Roman Sadovsky is not a worthy skater" is a better reason than whatever gunk the ISU chokes up to explain this.

Last edited:

Tesla

Whippet Good
I wonder if it's something as simple as they didn't think of doing the math. I wonder if they just went the easy route of just dropping Valieva and didn't think beyond that. To be honest, I think the entire Russian team should be disqualified because how many times have a relay or team been disqualified for one person doping?

honey

Correct me if I'm wrong but if they had competed without Valieva they would not have won bronze.

There's no conceivable justification for this. "AndreyakaPushkin thinks Roman Sadovsky is not a worthy skater" is a better reason than whatever gunk the ISU chokes up to explain this.
It is especially illogical considering the precedent IN THE SAME COMPETITION. Consider the pairs short program team event. This was contested by just 9 teams instead of 10. Yet the points were allocated out of 10, not 9. They are applying a different standard to the women’s event, which was now contested by 9 women, not 10. But the points are being allocated out of 9 in this case.

lexeoe

It is especially illogical considering the precedent IN THE SAME COMPETITION. Consider the pairs short program team event. This was contested by just 9 teams instead of 10. Yet the points were allocated out of 10, not 9. They are applying a different standard to the women’s event, which was now contested by 9 women, not 10. But the points are being allocated out of 9 in this case.
they're probably thinking there won't be too much pushback. but i believe as fs followers there must be louder pushback.

On My Own

Correct me if I'm wrong but if they had competed without Valieva they would not have won bronze.
Actually, given that the other two were not exposed for doping, if Valieva hadn't competed, Russia would have gold.

I do agree that Valieva being removed and the rest of the ladies not being bumped up makes no sense.

Primorskaya

So, apparently Russia doesn't want anything. Talk about cutting off their noses to spite their faces. There is no way they come out of this with those gold medals still in their grasp. There is way too much precedent across multiple sports both winter & summer where a doping DQ of one athlete has resulted in the whole team being DQed.

Man, talk about incredibly dumb on their part. The ISU held out an olive branch here and the ROC just swatted it away. How do you even, for one second, consider letting them back into competition if this is the way they are going to behave?
This is a telling decision. I just read this whole thread and looked around for extra info. Basically, reacting that way is a choice between a) giving priority to their athletes and their national sports program, swallowing that pill and beginning to work their way back on to the international scene and b) putting propaganda first, with everyone closing ranks against the Evil West, and throwing away their chance to mend bridges.
I'm personally not surprised. Sports are 100% state-funded, the decisions come from on high and are not to be discussed. RusFed answers to the ministry of sports who answers to Putin, end of. Valieva makes for a convenient martyr figure to hide vileness behind. Ultimately, it's her and all other athletes who are being thrown under the bus by going that way. They should be used to it, it's not like the state ever cared about the well-being of their athletes, kids included.

airgelaal

Hey, all those "team" members are more than happy to call themselves Olympic champions and benefit from that achievement financially. Live by the "team", die by the "team" and suffer the consequences if one of the "team" members decides to cheat.
meanwhile team member :rolleyes:
“Modern “science” has made a big step forward and found a way to instantly transform gold into bronze and silver into gold. If you answer in one phrase, then "they're not gonna get us,” Gallyamov told TASS in response to a request to comment on the decision.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Actually, given that the other two were not exposed for doping, if Valieva hadn't competed, Russia would have gold.

I do agree that Valieva being removed and the rest of the ladies not being bumped up makes no sense.
What I meant was if Russia had no one compete for ladies in the team event i.e. they had contested only three disciplines which seems to be what the ISU is going with here.

It does appear from the Christine Brennan post that the ISU's rules is that a team should be disqualified if a member is disqualified for doping.

They are making it up as they go along and I don't care what their reasons are its wrong.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think Skate Canada's reply is succinct and hit the major point - the ISU rule that addresses this.

I questioned way back when if this would be their outcome just to still give Russia... or OAR or whatever they were in 2022.. 'something'. I know the team event adds another layer of complexity not seen in Olympic competition as far as DSQ, but they've already assigned 0 points to a team elsewhere when a member could not compete (Rizzo), and every other time they've moved results up in individual competitions-- B/S being DSQ in 2000 Euros, for example. When China sent too many skaters to Junior Worlds 2010 and I kept questioning the ISU on how that slipped through the cracks, they finally acknowledged it and DSQ one of the teams and moved everyone else up. So there is precedent in a variety of different situations.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Also, what should be hammered in to the ISU right now is that the ISU was proactive in letting 25 women compete in the free skate at the Olympics in the event that Valieva would eventually be DSQ. So if you're going to move everyone else up in the individual segment (and were prepared to apply that to the situation ahead of time), why not move everyone else up in the team segment?

I know that the failed result came between the team competition and the individual competition, but it's still applying the rule in one place and ignoring it in another.

Aaron MB Fan

I'm sorry but this decision by the ISU makes me so angry, it makes my blood boil. After yesterday's surprising news, I honestly didn't think the ISU could pull this kinda BS, but should have known better.

I feel like this will also taint and hangover Montreal Worlds as the Canadian fans are not going to be pleased. Montreal Worlds was already tainted 4 years ago by COVID, now the ISU taints it again with their pandering toward Russia. Disgusting.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
Correct me if I'm wrong but if they had competed without Valieva (meaning if they had not competed in the women's segment of the team event) they would not have won bronze.

I agree, especially with the part where I should be the decisive factor.

Brennan also pointed out that this decision seems to violate the ISU's own rules regarding anti doping (I think this was mentioned already).

That's not correct. According to the ISU's rules, the disqualification of the entire team comes if the doping occurred during the competition itself. In Valieva's case, her positive result came from a different competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information