Lynn226

Folks, hold your horses. I believe that Valieva has a month to file an appeal with the Swiss Federal Tribunal. It might be a while before the Olympic and European medals are awarded/redistributed.
I read somewhere, maybe on this thread, appeals are only accepted on narrow procedural grounds. Hopefully, they won't appeal or it will be over quickly.

ETA: Others beat me to it. 😂

Jammers

I'm not trying to put words in YOUR mouth. It's just a rhetorical path that I can envision the media in Russia taking as a way of devaluing the entire situation and assuaging their bruised egos.

I laughed at the TE when it first came about in 2014 but a decade on the meaning and value of the event and that medal is clearly changing - Germany ties funding to the TE result, countries get excited about even just qualifying for the TE - we see that here with our Aussie, Ukrainian, and British posters, and I'm sure it's true for other countries as well.
Even back in 2018 you could see the difference in the TE compared to 2014. In 2014 the skaters didn't even know how to react should they treat it like the WTT or take it more seriously but in 2018 it was a more intense competition not just between Canada and Russia but Italy was pressing the US for Bronze until Mirai had the skate of her life and landed the triple axel. And Russia didn't seem to think the TE was silly in 2022 when they didn't substitute a singe skater to make sure they won Gold.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
while we're still partying I'm going to admit I completely forgot some of the other teams lol like Vanessa James??? She was at that Olympics for Canada?????? I have zero recollection of this ever happening tbh

skatingguy

decently
while we're still partying I'm going to admit I completely forgot some of the other teams lol like Vanessa James??? She was at that Olympics for Canada?????? I have zero recollection of this ever happening tbh
And World Bronze medalist that year as well. By the time the Pairs event came around at the end of the Olympics I think we were all so exhausted we were just surviving. @Karen-W you'll be able to add another chapter or two to that thread you compiled of the sequence of events. Might be time for a reread after Four Continents, and before Junior Worlds for a trip down memory lane.

Jammers

I would love the see the ceremony at Boston Worlds the US team might have missed the medal ceremony at the Olympics which can never be duplicated but getting the Gold medal after all of this time in their home country would not just bring the skaters to tears but probably everyone in the arena. But it's probably too long of a wait since it's coming up on 2 years that they've been waiting.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
USFS has also confirmed that Team USA will be upgraded to the gold medal -

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
And the Team USA announcement -

I can't stop crying at how happy I am for these nine incredible athletes. I don't think I realized until the official confirmation came out just how convinced I was that they would somehow be cheated of their rightful, golden honor. If I'm this happy and thrilled, imagine how they and their families must be feeling. I hope they've all broken out more than a few bottles of champagne.

On My Own

How do you change the profile text from "well known member" to something different like "Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!" as is karen's

Hedwig

Antique member
I disagree.

Figure skating is not swimming, and doping is not some magic potion. Taking an illegal substance 2 months before a competition should absolutely be punished, but very unlikely affected the actual performance on the night. Making it sound as if the only reason why Valieva won was doping, or that other skaters didn't win because they didn't use doping, has nothing to do with how figure skating (or doping) work.

So she should absolutely get disqualified, but on the end of the day, everyone else lost and now get bumped up, while the Russian team won and gets bumped down.

I think maybe Tuktamysheva is the only one who really has a good reason be pissed.
But that is absolutely untrue. As is your earlier claim that there is not a lot of doping in Russian figure skating.
That is well established and also how widely her „medication“ was used in Russian fs before it was banned (even by Tuk) and how Eteri was openly saying that she now needs a substitute.

This particular doping enables skaters to recover faster after training and to let them train more in the day. Every day. So having even half an hour of more practice in every day for years does have a HUGE effect. Much more than a one off doping for - say- more strength on one particular day.

Eta- I see it has beed debated to death in the next few posts as well 😂

eta- I actually like the team event now and what it has done to the development of the sport.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Re: prize money, Communication 2368 from 2021 was in effect for 2022 championships, until it was replaced by Communication 2516 for 2023 until they replace it again. (I don’t see a difference in the figure skating numbers.)

The ISU -> Feds, which take their cut and handle taxes, is the way prize money flow outwards, but I don’t know if CAS expects her to write a check, or if it is supposed to go the other way around. The ISU would be owed the $21K Valieva won at 2022 Euros.

If they bump everyone up, Scherbakova (16-21K) and Trusova (11-16K) would be owed $5K each, Hendricks (7-11K) would be owed 4K, Kurakova (5-7K) and Ryabova (3-5K) would be owed 2K each, and Gubanova (0-3K) would be owed 3K. Which equals the $21K owed by Valieva.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Is there any official IOC or ISU statement about the decision to award the US team gold?

I applaud the statements from the USFS and USOPC, but so far these seem like unilateral declarations, perhaps designed to apply some political pressure to officially resolve the situation.

Allskate

Is there any official IOC or ISU statement about the decision to award the US team gold?

I applaud the statements from the USFS and USOPC, but so far these seem like unilateral declarations, perhaps designed to apply some political pressure to officially resolve the situation.
I share your interpretation of those statements. The USFS video says that "it is now up to the ISU to get together and award us the gold medal." Christine Brennan said that Sarah Hirshland confirmed that the U.S. would receive the gold medal and that this was based on the IOC statement. The IOC statement said that it will award the medals based on a ranking that will be determined by the ISU. The ISU hasn't issued a statement saying who gets what medal. So, I don't think it's official yet. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I won't believe it until I see it. I think you may be right that the IOC, USOPC, and USFS are trying to publicly pressure the ISU.

ETA: Looking at the language of the ruling, I can see how someone who wanted to help the Russians could find wiggle room. It says that all competitive results of Valieva are disqualified from 25 December 2021, with all resulting consequences, including forfeiture of titles and medals. It does not explicitly say what happens to the rest of the Russian team members. In fact, it says that the consequences "linked" to Valieva's retroactive disqualification, including the Olympics, were not within the scope of the arbitration procedure and will have to be examined by the sports organizations concerned. I really hope that some of these skaters who are being led to believe right now that they are going to receive certain medals are not about to be told something different by the ISU.

A link to the ruling: https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1751975490959671760/photo/1

And here is the ISU's statement yesterday saying that they will issue a statement today:

Last edited:

Bigbird

Folks, hold your horses. I believe that Valieva has a month to file an appeal with the Swiss Federal Tribunal. It might be a while before the Olympic and European medals are awarded/redistributed.
Which version of the grandpa prepared drug cake will be palatable in the SFT? For once due process should be denied...please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information