US Men of the Past!

On My Own

Yep! I appreciate the interview, by the way, I think I might have read it before, but completely forgot.

I think it was 2006 Nationals, going to link that here too.

What I appreciate about his transitions, is that I 100% think quite a few of those being used properly in terms of phrasing. Not all of them, but quite a few of them, which I just don't expect from figure skating. Guy even did a forward spiral into a 3Lz here, most would just do a back spiral, so difficulty too.

eta: turned out to be his (also beautiful) sp lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwCxEkmEP3c&ab_channel=SKATING102
😗

On My Own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w872zjNfzY&ab_channel=shineluvslambiel

Rather familiar music from Gershwin, I actually prefer this program to Yuna's. And yet another stunning entry into the 3Lz, and soooooo late in the program.

I think he's the male contemporary of Michelle during this time. It's great that the States produced such amazing overall skaters who competed during the same time.

On My Own

Don’t forget Braden Overett’s Pirate of the Caribbeans. Is there a video somewhere?
And of course many of Jeremy’s programs which I loved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFj1FXhvgj0&ab_channel=biscuitz123 (mostly the steps)

Seerek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w872zjNfzY&ab_channel=shineluvslambiel

Rather familiar music from Gershwin, I actually prefer this program to Yuna's. And yet another stunning entry into the 3Lz, and soooooo late in the program.

I think he's the male contemporary of Michelle during this time. It's great that the States produced such amazing overall skaters who competed during the same time.

I know this was the 6.0 era, but the fact that this long program placed 11th in the segment at 2002 Worlds is just ...🤦‍♂️

Any historical thread is good reason to post Robert Wagenhoffer - who knows how his career could have gone without figures.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I know this was the 6.0 era, but the fact that this long program placed 11th in the segment at 2002 Worlds is just ...🤦‍♂️

Any historical thread is good to post Robert Wagenhoffer - who knows how his career could have gone without figures.

Robert was a fantastic free skater.

Even with the tiny blips in his free skate at the 1981 World Championships, I personally thought he should have won that portion of the event over the likes of Hamilton, Bobrin, Santee, Igarashi and Orser. His musicality here is out of this world. (If there was any question about his technical ability, he could apparently land quad toes in practice. Just look at the first triple toe he hits in this routine at the forty second mark. It is gigantic!)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Oh, Jeremy. What might have been.

It always kills me how great he skated at the 2010 US National Championships, only to fall apart a month later at the Olympic Games. If Abbott had skated the same way in Vancouver that he did in Spokane, gold would surely have been his for the taking.

jlai

Question everything
Oh, Jeremy. What might have been.

It always kills me how great he skated at the 2010 US National Championships, only to fall apart a month later at the Olympic Games. If Abbott had skated the same way in Vancouver that he did in Spokane, gold would surely have been his for the taking.
Doesn’t that apply to most of the medal contenders though? At the end of the day, usually only a handful of the medal contenders skate clean at the big events

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Doesn’t that apply to most of the medal contenders though? At the end of the day, usually only a handful of the medal contenders skate clean at the big events
Probably. But in this instance, commentator Sandra Bezic indicated in Spokane that if Jeremy skated like he did at the 2010 US National Championships at the Olympics, he would have been on the podium in Vancouver.

On My Own

Since some already discussed results, does anyone also think Matt should have won the free skate at 2006 nationals lol?

I found the TSL link to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgjZ4xZSzUw&ab_channel=TheSkatingLesson

There's nothing remotely special about Lysacek's skating, and I'd give a huge PCS lead to Matt. Several parts of Johnny's program were also better than Lysacek's, but it's still quite bland, so wouldn't mind letting Lysacek have the lead in the free over him.

Last edited:

bardtoob

The only men's skater with a comparable record across Pairs and Singles to Ken Shelley was Rudy Galindo.

Ken never won a singles medal at Worlds, but he did win a singles bronze at the North American Championships, which did not exist in Rudy's time. Ken won more competitions.

Rudy never won a pairs medal at Worlds, except every type in Jr Worlds, which did not exist in Ken's time. Rudy introduced the 3F to pairs and did 3A-3T in singles.

Last edited:

briancoogaert

Tim Dolensky 2015 SC. I don`t think he ever landed a quad and he was not the strongest competitor, but otherwise such a complete skater. I thought his head would fly off on the final headless scratch spin.

I remember his name, but not his skating. Thanks for sharing, he is very pleasant to watch ! Nice basics, big jumps !! ;)

On My Own

He has astounding speed and the height on his jumps is fantastic. I like the moves from that era of figure skating - delay axels, huge split jumps. You can hear the crowd reacting with awe.
Right, as I said, he's a great technical skater.

Seerek

Mentioned previously in this thread, Terry Kubicka would go on to be a veterinarian, now practicing in Concord, CA.

Another men's skater from that era who would go on to be a doctor was 2 time national silver medalist (1977 and 1979) Scott Cramer, who went on to be an chiropractic orthopedist, now based in Colorado Springs.

(also mentioned in the thread, John Misha Petkevich is also a PhD recipient, albeit in biology).

jlai

Question everything
Does anyone have alink to Scott Dyer's On the Waterfront? That was one program I really liked from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information