Todd Sand Recovering from Heart Attack at Home

cheremary

LA Times column by Helene Elliott:

No particular updates, but some lovely quotes about Todd as a person and coach from Tai Baibilonia, Alexa Knierim, and Brandon Frazier, and a bit about K/F‘s current training before Worlds.

A few excerpts:
“There’s no such thing as the perfect person or perfect coach but he comes very close to it,” said Brandon Frazier, who won the world pair championship last year with Alexa Knierim under the guidance of Meno and Sand. “He’s a perfect combination of happy, supportive, positive. He knows how to push an athlete and make them stronger but make sure they’re comfortable while being pushed to their limit.”

When Chris Knierim retired and Alexa teamed with Frazier, there was no question the new duo would stay with Meno and Sand. “I had the opportunity to go wherever I wanted to when I started over with Brandon, but they provide such a safe and comfortable environment to train in daily,” she said.

“The way he creates such a warm environment is just his gentle nature that he brings. He has this aura that is just accepting and forgiving, and he just has a way of making you feel like you’re enough, no matter what you do. He’s always, as a coach, wanting to push and strive for more, but you never feel like you’re not good enough, and he just has a natural way of instilling that belief in his skaters. His energy is very unique because it’s strong, but he has a stillness about him that resonates deeply.”

Knierim and Frazier last year became the first American pair skaters to win the world championship since Babilonia and Gardner, but they’ll have to defend their title later this month in Saitama, Japan, without Sand by their side. They’ve had difficulty accepting that, so badly does his absence sting.

“We have our good days and we have our tough days right now,” Frazier said. “It’s been a little tough managing those emotions during our training practices, but we are doing the best we could and doing what we know Todd would want us to do.”

That’s the best way to honor him. “There aren’t many things we can control,” Knierim said, “but one thing we can control is how we approach practice and training and approaching it in a way that Todd would be proud of, and that’s kind of been our focus right now.”

That’s Sand’s strength shining through them. May that strength flow back to him and make him strong again in every possible way.

Sylvia

TBD
Direct link to Jenni Meno-Sand's post today, 3 hours ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cpsj7IbrDFH/

Our family is absolutely blown away by the love and support from all over the World. Todd continues to be treated in the Cardiac ICU in Calgary, Alberta where he is surrounded by an amazing group of doctors and nurses. We are here with him every step of the way.

In true Todd form he’s shown the true meaning of fight and determination over the past 10 days. I keep reminding him to fight…”one thing at a time”. We’ve listened to hours and hours of Tom Petty…I think I might even be a fan now.

Yesterday was a very big day as they were able to remove the ventilator. We still have a long journey ahead of us. Our hope is to get him strong enough to move back to the U.S to continue his hospital care. We know he will need extensive rehab as well. He’s a fighter and we are all here cheering him on.

Please continue to pray for his continued improvements.
Much love,
Jenni, Jack and Matthew

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Jenni took the time to wish Alexa and Brandon well at Worlds. For those who can't see it, the post reads: "This picture was taken 1 year ago before the World Championships. Alexa and Brandon have had an amazing journey over the last 12 months and I honestly couldn’t be more proud of them. They are true champions on and off the ice. Alexa and Brandon are not just our athletes they are a part of our family. They’ve shown an incredible inner strength over the past 2 weeks. Our hearts will be with them every step of the way in Japan. They’re ready to fight!!! #greatparkpairs #StandYourGround"

Sylvia

TBD
Jenni also wished Daniel Tioumentsev a happy 21st birthday yesterday in an IG post. I tweeted a photo I took of him displaying his Nationals pewter medal with Sonia, Todd, Jenni & Christine Binder: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1635645543937343488

Binder is the organizer of the fundraiser: https://giveahand.com/fundraiser/todd-sand-and-jenni-meno-medical-funds
Comment posted by a skater yesterday:
I never worked with Todd during my skating days but he was always kind and friendly to me everyday I was at the rink. His kindness has left a lasting impact on me. My prayers and thoughts are with Todd and his family, praying for a fast and full recovery.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Jenni posted on her IG story a little while ago -

"We made it back to California safe and sound. All settled in at our new hospital! Thank you Canada for the amazing care and support."

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

"We made it back to California safe and sound. All settled in at our new hospital! Thank you Canada for the amazing care and support."
Best news of the day!

skatingcheckers

This is the best news ever! (I've been so worried ....).

Allskate

Jenni has an IG wishing Brandon and Alexa good luck:

"Alexa and Brandon are ready to get after it this week in Japan!! Our hearts are with them every step of the way!!"

I'm sending out good vibes to Jenni and Todd and Brandon and Alexa.

Sylvia

TBD
Alexa's reply in the Pairs SP press conference, with a very supportive Brandon, starts at this point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4c85smJYA8&t=624s

(on the challenges they’ve faced following coach Todd Sand’s heart attack on March 2) I think it’s a very deep question because Todd’s condition is very serious so it’s difficult to train when you feel broken inside, when your person is not there. However, that person is the one who instilled fight in us so we’re able to work hard every day to make him proud (voice wavering as she becomes tearful) and I think we did a good job of that today.

Sylvia

TBD
Just noticed a new update was posted on the fundraiser page: https://giveahand.com/fundraiser/todd-sand-and-jenni-meno-medical-funds

Here is a new update from Jenni today, March 20, 2023

Our family is very happy to be back together in Orange County. We feel extremely blessed with the care Todd received in Calgary.
Todd still has a long recovery ahead of him. We’re hoping with continued dialysis he will regain his kidney function. We are focused on taking his recovery day by day. This week we’ll cheer on Alexa and Brandon competing at the World Championships in Japan.
Thank you for your continued support and prayers.
Love,
Jenni, Todd, Jack and Matthew

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Oh gosh does that mean renal failure as well? Had a friends husband end up on dialysis after heart failure. That’s a really tough prognosis. Sending positive vibes glad he’s fairly young to fight this! Sounds like he has a good support team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information