Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
You know what? This Meghan is evil crap reminds me of the Beatles/Stones arguments in the 60's.

I didn't personally know Paul or Mick. I preferred one over the other, could find evil or horrible intentions or angelic or nice depending on which one I liked best. I could assign negative attributes to either one.

But bottom line? I didn't PERSONALLY know or interact with either of them and in actuality have ZERO knowledge of intentions or traits.

FFS unless you are actually in the inner circle of the BRF you have no effing idea of motive or who asked whom or who is or is not a gold digger.

skategal

Bunny mama
I do agree that she was shocked but I don't understand how she could not have realized this ahead of time. Everyone knows that the BRF has all sorts of rules and behavior that are not allowed or are expected. This should not have been a surprise to her.
I think knowing something and living something are two different things.

For example, I knew being a mother would be hard.

I didn’t realize how hard it would be until I was one despite my family members telling me repeatedly that parenting is hard work.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I can't really contribute to the "gold-digger" discussion.

What I noticed is: Celebrities marry very often celebrities.

I don't think that money is the driving force. It seems to be a question of social status. To play a role on the big stage. To feel that you are important. At least, this is my impression.

Celebrities marry other celebrities because those are the people that they meet and interact with. If they want to have a drink with an attractive person, they can't wander down to the pub on their own and chat up whoever might be around. They have layers of security and management separating them from "normal" people, and when they work, they tend to work with other celebrities. So they find partners in the social and work circles that they're part of, kind of like non-celebrities do.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'm really surprised that the "Meghan just remembered that she cooperated with the book" story isn't getting more traction. She basically admitted that she lied to the court. That's pretty amazing, especially since her lawyers would have wanted the case to be as waterproof as possible, and must have gone over this with her more than once.

And as to whether the BRF knew that H&M had cooperated with the book - come on. They probably didn't have any direct proof, but if we non-royals could see that there had to have been some input (e.g. descriptions of conversations between two people, and the other one not denying that the description was accurate), the BRF would have been able to draw those same conclusions.

Last edited:

Judy

I'm really surprised that the "Meghan just remembered that she cooperated with the book" story isn't getting more traction. She basically admitted that she lied to the court. That's pretty amazing, especially given that I'm sure her lawyers would have wanted the case to be as waterproof as possible, and must have gone over this with her more than once.

And as to whether the BRF knew that H&M had cooperated with the book - come on. They probably didn't have any direct proof, but if we non-royals could see that there had to have been some input (e.g. descriptions of conversations between two people, and the other one not denying that the description was accurate), the BRF would have been able to draw those same conclusions.
I knew they cooperated although thought it was their friends being allowed to speak. I never followed that lawsuit trial though. The Royal Family has a thing for not allowing members to discuss anything much less get involved with a book. Historically it has bitten them in the arse a few times especially with the Diana/Charles marriage. That was a whole chain of an exploding mess that led to them being able to divorce. Likely the best thing that could happen to them considering how unhappy both were.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think even the most well prepared woman will struggle with the BRF. Diana was from the sort of family that taught her how and when to curtsy and exactly what kind of nylons she had to wear. She still struggled.
This is true. I guess my issue is that Meghan and her defenders often say "I/She had no idea!" as if she really had not one clue. I think it would be more accurate to say "I thought I knew but I didn't". I do think she has said that before but mostly it's the naive "I had no idea" which is a bit disingenuous.

ballettmaus

This is true. I guess my issue is that Meghan and her defenders often say "I/She had no idea!" as if she really had not one clue. I think it would be more accurate to say "I thought I knew but I didn't". I do think she has said that before but mostly it's the naive "I had no idea" which is a bit disingenuous.
I think whether or not she had no idea depends on whether or not she and Harry truly talked about it. Sure, everyone knows there are rules but who knows what these rules are other than the members of the BRF? So, how much was it discussed?
This is also why I think it's likely true that William encouraged Harry to wait; he went through it with Kate and I think, it was even more difficult for Meghan to make the move/transition as her circumstances are so very different. She's not British, she's a POC, she had a career of her own. I may be completely wrong about it but as the future king and someone who married a commoner, I find it likely that William might have had a better idea of what Meghan would be up against than Harry or, at the very least, he might have been able to assess the situation better.

That said, I can't really fault Harry for not waiting. Maybe the entire story would have had a better ending if he had waited but overall, everyone should be able to marry anyone they want to marry whenever they want to marry them without it ending in a split from family.

(And, of course, it's also entirely possible that she knew but didn't really or that Harry assured her that there were certain things she didn't have to do without taking into account how it would be received. (I'm thinking about Meghan not using a stylist. I don't know if that was confirmed or rumored but I would imagine that if it's true, it may not have been well-received). Harry always was the rebel, or at least, that was how he was portrayed in the media, so maybe he thought it would be easier to change things? Maybe he didn't think the public/palace would be so disapproving of changes that Meghan wanted to make because the public always seemed to like him and she would be his wife? Maybe all of the above?
I know we'll likely never know but the entire situation still makes me sad and I just hope that everyone is at peace with their choices).

antmanb

Maybe Meghan can’t change her PR because there are a legion of people out there who hate her and look for negative connotation in anything she does, even something like not posting a picture of her baby.

I find it interesting how Meghan/Harry haterz feel a need to continuously project their contempt and anger. Since the Kardashians were brought up … I’m not a fan of that family or what they represent. Do I feel the need to constantly re-state that and call the Ks every epithet in the book, and in what arguably is a fan thread, or at least an interested observer thread? No. (Only Republican politicians get me that angry. 😕)

While there are loads of detractors all over the place, this article with data from Twitter suggests that on that platform it's the vocal minority (like all the bullshit on twitter is) https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/bot-sentinel-meghan-markle-prince-harry-twitter

I imagine there was a rather large helping of magical thinking and optimism going on too - yes it's crazy but I'll be ok because X,Y,Z and maybe naively thought she'd be able to change things from inside without realising the uphill struggle it would be.

skategal

Bunny mama
While there are loads of detractors all over the place, this article with data from Twitter suggests that on that platform it's the vocal minority (like all the bullshit on twitter is) https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/bot-sentinel-meghan-markle-prince-harry-twitter

I imagine there was a rather large helping of magical thinking and optimism going on too - yes it's crazy but I'll be ok because X,Y,Z and maybe naively thought she'd be able to change things from inside without realising the uphill struggle it would be.
Yes all of the magical thinking.

Love can be blind and deaf and stupid. :lol:

No one wants to hear or believe that things won’t be perfect once they find the one they want to settle down with.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I knew they cooperated although thought it was their friends being allowed to speak.

Their friends were being fed information by Meghan, at least, telling them what points to emphasize to the authors. This is all in the documentation that was given to the court by Meghan's former PR rep, and it was after that she "remembered" she had sent those communications.

I never followed that lawsuit trial though. The Royal Family has a thing for not allowing members to discuss anything much less get involved with a book.

You should follow the trial. It's very revealing as to how the UK media work and how the Royals work.

And yes, I think by now most participants in this thread are aware of what the Royals do and don't do.

canbelto

I think the biggest damage to come out of the revelations of how they cooperated with the Scobie book is it will sort of dampen their branding themselves as fighters of truthful journalism. They've taken such a strong, litigious stance that the knowledge that they too sort of worked the back alleys and got their story out there will weaken their position.

I'm not surprised, and I get why they did it, but I wish they hadn't also branded themselves so strongly as people who avoid the press at all costs.

Judy

Their friends were being fed information by Meghan, at least, telling them what points to emphasize to the authors. This is all in the documentation that was given to the court by Meghan's former PR rep, and it was after that she "remembered" she had sent those communications.

You should follow the trial. It's very revealing as to how the UK media work and how the Royals work.

And yes, I think by now most participants in this thread are aware of what the Royals do and don't do.

I never had any interest in the trial actually. Not really willing to involve myself with crap media vs Meghan. My feelings for crap media date far back before even the Charles and Diana stuff though.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I never had any interest in the trial actually. Not really willing to involve myself with crap media vs Meghan. My feelings for crap media date far back before even the Charles and Diana stuff though.

There is a lot of information coming out of the trial about how the "crap media" work, and how the publicity for the Royals works. If you think the media are "crap", maybe pay some attention to the trial and learn about how they got that way, and why H&M are so upset about how the media treat them.

Husky

I am not sure if I understand this article completely - it's pretty long - but it looks like the RF is very upset over a BBC documentary The Princes and The Press. I haven't seen the documentary, just reading the article, I thought its contents are not really new. But I think it says that William or Charles or even the Queen (="other royal households") forwarded negative stories about Meghan to the press. Maybe I am wrong. Harry's former girlfriend appears to have been spied on by journalists, as they recorded her phone calls. I don't know if there is a connection? Maybe it's just a very Harry-related documentary that sums up a lot of things that made him leave Britain and the British press.

The RF says in a joint statement, given to the BBC representing the Queen, Charles and William: "A free, responsible and open Press is of vital importance to a healthy democracy. However, too often overblown and unfounded claims from unnamed sources are presented as facts and it is disappointing when anyone, including the BBC, gives them credibility."

ballettmaus

^I truly wish the British media would let it go. There are things that Meghan did that I don't think she should have but there are also things that were completely blown out of proportion/unacceptable on the other side (I recently learned that she was bashed for loving avocados after a friend of hers posted on social media that she made the best avocado toast. Seriously?)

But Meghan and Harry left the royal family and I feel the British media should just let it go. Let them move on with their lives, let the BRF move on with theirs. Instead, it seems like they're thrilled to have another "divorce" and don't care what their "reporting" ended in all those years ago.

Husky

It wasn't a mere documentary "on" the topic. Scobie and MM's lawyer were interviewed and represented the Sussexes. I think this is another reason why the RF is so upset. They weren't even allowed to see it beforehand.

millyskate

The British media are absolutely awful about all topics and sadly the RF is one where they feel free to let loose.
One thing that has struck me is that Meghan has been consistently hounded on her personality where previous royal women were hounded on their bodies. (Diana, Beatrice, Kate).
Beatrice suffered horrendous bullying about her body, Kate was hounded for intrusive / exploitative pictures and Diana's figure was constantly scrutinised. Meghan has not been subject to the same maybe because times have moved on and body-shaming / sexually exploitative pictures have become unacceptable.
Instead, there have been attempts to transform every tiny detail of Meghan's life, including making avocado toast, into a smear on her character.

It makes some of the more serious accusations like those of bullying much harder to evaluate. Nevertheless, I found a lot of the counter-arguments a little disingenuous. "American-style" management is not bullying and to patronise potential victims by telling them they are just not use to working with a US boss just doesn't cut it.

The problem is that the press have earnt instant distrust so it's not always easy to figure out truths from untruths.

millyskate

@taf2002 I wasn't aware of those rumours until you mentioned and if true that is sad indeed. Sad that nearly all men of the Royal Family value loyalty and faithfulness to their spouses so little. The Queen herself has had to live with an unfaithful husband and how these women do it I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information