The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Green

F/G aren't gunning for the top of the podium, so okay technique is fine. If I were them, I'd 100% focus on flashy, appealing packaging, because I'd want the attention, social media/tiktok reposts, luxury sponsorships, and invitations to Dancing on Ice/DWTS.
They're almost certainly going to be Euros medalists, at least, by next season.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
They're almost certainly going to be Euros medalists, at least, by next season.
Could happen as early as this season if Step/Buk can't make it through the season uninjured.

Next season... That's going to be really interesting on the Euros front with SinKats and G/F most likely retiring.

litenkyckling

Could happen as early as this season if Step/Buk can't make it through the season uninjured.

Next season... That's going to be really interesting on the Euros front with SinKats and G/F most likely retiring.
that and the possibility of P/C retiring too

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
I’m totally expecting Fear/Gibson to get the now traditional GB Euros dance bronze before too long.

I can see them being in a similar position next quad to Gilles/Poirier in this (although hopefully keeping it fun and avoiding a late career detour into sappy FDs) - audience appeal, continental medals, final group at Worlds, but without the underlying technique to really challenge for a top spot. If Fear/Gibson are potentially the number one Gadbois team that should give them a political boost but if they stay there (which I think they will) I’d be surprised if they suddenly have huge improvements in technique.

In the nearer term, The Lion King wasn’t the direction I was expecting them to take this year but I think it could work for them without being too much of a retread of previous seasons. I’m looking forward to seeing them at Finlandia.

Cayuse

Loved Paul and Piper's RD debut at Autumn Classic! Eye popping orange costumes stand out in this year's sea of black. Piper's bell sleeves and bell bottoms are spot on for the era. Elton John brings out more animation from Paul than we've ever seen! Maybe the "blues" song goes on a little long, but I've watched it several times and don't see how you would improve the choreography by shortening it. The dance break is the best, followed by the upbeat step sequence. The program WILL get the crowd! I would drop the beginning "feel up" move--doesn't fit Paul or Elton John.

Smart and Diaz go back to Tina Turner for one of the most cohesive rhythm dances. Proud Mary is perfect since it starts slow and speeds up, so no need for multiple music cuts. They need to increase the "sizzle" to resell this dance.

At the US Classic, Hubble and Donahue executed their Janet Jackson RD very well technically and expressively. Their stationary lift was different, but not much else stood out to me. This program definitely works style-wise for them and there should not be any complaints about her "dress" this year- sexy, black and body revealing cat suit.

Let the competitions continue!

Bigbird

Loved Paul and Piper's RD debut at Autumn Classic! Eye popping orange costumes stand out in this year's sea of black. Piper's bell sleeves and bell bottoms are spot on for the era. Elton John brings out more animation from Paul than we've ever seen! Maybe the "blues" song goes on a little long, but I've watched it several times and don't see how you would improve the choreography by shortening it. The dance break is the best, followed by the upbeat step sequence. The program WILL get the crowd! I would drop the beginning "feel up" move--doesn't fit Paul or Elton John.

Smart and Diaz go back to Tina Turner for one of the most cohesive rhythm dances. Proud Mary is perfect since it starts slow and speeds up, so no need for multiple music cuts. They need to increase the "sizzle" to resell this dance.

At the US Classic, Hubble and Donahue executed their Janet Jackson RD very well technically and expressively. Their stationary lift was different, but not much else stood out to me. This program definitely works style-wise for them and there should not be any complaints about her "dress" this year- sexy, black and body revealing cat suit.

Let the competitions continue!
I found Piper and Paul flat. The first song doesn't fit the blues pattern or the first 2/3 of the dance. I hope they change that. It all just looks like set of random steps separate from the music except the last minute.

I really liked Hubbell and Donahue. The pieces just fit. Lurved there really soft knees. The end just needs more practice and energy.

Davis and Smolkin's RD is a pleasant surprise. The kids had the right vibe for the whole dance. They skate very close to each other. I thought their 75 and mash was a tad low.

Smart and Diaz were just being cautious. Again the IAM understand the concept of street dance and created something that shows off their strengths maybe they're not in their best shape yet. But in comparison to Hurtado/Diaz they understand the assignment that was this seasons RD.

I absolutely hate the D/S FD. But I look forward to all the other FDs.

VGThuy

Im disappointed in the RDs I’ve seen so far but it’s early in the season. I thought Piper and Paul were boring and H/D have the moves but not the groove or the attitude to pull off what they’re trying to do but I suspect it’ll be good by the end of the season. It’s early.

Karen-W

Finally got a chance to really watch Gilles/Poirier and HubDon again, plus first time views Smart/Diaz, L/L, Green/Parsons, Davis/Smolkin and Min/Eaton (too much work today kept me from being able to pay close attention).

I still think H/D have a really good RD this season and by the Olympics it will be FIRE. Like, Green/Parsons, they're really able to capture the essence of Janet Jackson and translate it to ice dance very well. I know we haven't seen Hawayek/Baker yet but I think they should be looking over their shoulders and worrying a bit because GrePar are coming on strong. Today's score was nothing to joke about.

Gilles/Poirier - I found the first part boring this morning on first watch and I still find it fairly bland. They need something more energetic than "I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues" for the first section before they go into the pattern dance section. "Still Standing" is good and should get the crowd on its feet.

On first blush - HubDon and GilPoir have very solid RDs, much better than SinKats or GuiFab and, if HubDon can win the RD in Beijing with GilPoir sliding in between them and SinKats, that changes the handicapping of the Team Event entirely and puts the US in a better position than one might think based on the strength of Russia's pairs and women. In the words of Monica Geller - "it just got interesting!"

Smart/Diaz - I said this yesterday in the JGP Krasnoyarsk dance discussion about the junior team that's using "Proud Mary" - it's a really great, smart choice because of the rhythm changes in the song itself plus using the original version is going to play well with the audience. It's another winner and it could very well put them on the Olympic team because it's certainly better than the RD that H/K debuted last weekend.

L/L - boring. Not sure why people love them. I was a little surprised they lost the RD to GrePar until I went back and watched again this evening. They're decent enough but nothing about the RD makes them stand out from what they are - the 14th ranked team in the world. Maybe I'll change my mind tomorrow with their re-worked "Rio" FD - which I wasn't a fan of at Worlds last year.

DavSmo - it seemed better than what we saw last weekend. I know a couple people in the arena said they're much faster in person and I'll take their word for it.

Min/Eaton - that was such an improvement over Cranberry Cup! Not sure they'll be able to nab one of those 4 Olympic spots next week but they're back in the mix.

Karen-W

At this rate I totally see Davis / Smolkin going to Olympics and becoming World medalists next season. Ha.
At this rate, if StepBuk or SinKats can't make it through the season, I totally see both DavSmo and MorBaz on the Olympic team.

cris

My feeling is that, unfortunately for them, Tiff and John will only go to Beijing if one of S/K or S/B don't make it. Otherwise, Russian Federation will want a younger team, to get a name for the next cycle, and Davis/Smolkin are the most probable candidates. And not particularly unworthy IMHO. Too bad their FD is soo boring.

sap5

Im disappointed in the RDs I’ve seen so far but it’s early in the season. I thought Piper and Paul were boring and H/D have the moves but not the groove or the attitude to pull off what they’re trying to do but I suspect it’ll be good by the end of the season. It’s early.
Between G/P and H/D's Janet RDs, I think G/P have the better music edit and choreography, but Caroline is just not a good hip hop dancer. Michael is better, but because he puts all the focus on her, it's just not working for me. She's really young though, so there's plenty of time to learn and grow. H/D are good dancers, and I can see that they like this program; they just need to settle into the program more. Agree that by the Olympics, it will be good. I wish they mixed the songs better. Nasty and Rope Burn are just smashed together with no transition. It's so jarring.

deegee

IMO, Kana and Daisuke have the best RD so far. Currently I am more impressed with the Jr RDs.
yes, so far they are the only team whose rd gives any sense that they are dancing hip hop. and they have my favorite music selection thus far, too.

i like janet jackson, but i agree with whoever above that said that h/d aren't demonstrating the proper feel for this music. the movements are too much like their mc hammer number from last olympics but needs to be closer to the feel of that bluesy fd they did a while back. jj's music and choreography are inherently sensual, which h/d have proven they can do but they're not doing it here.

Last edited:

Peepsquick

yes, so far they are the only team whose rd gives any sense that they are dancing hip hop. and they have my favorite music selection thus far, too.

i like janet jackson, but i agree with whoever above that said that h/d are demonstrating the proper feel for this music. the movements are too much like their mc hammer number from last olympics but needs to be closer to the feel of that bluesy fd they did a while back. jj's music and choreography are inherently sensual, which h/d have proven they can do but they're not doing it here.
Am I the only one to think that H/D's RD has a very strong V/M-style vibe?
I am also disappointed with almost all the music choices ... :slinkaway
Davis-Smolkin were impressive, lots of energy!

mjb52

It's the beginning of the season! We never even used to see these competitions pre-internet or even pre-streaming. The whole point of them is to get out there, get feedback, and work on polishing these programs and developing them, not to be Olympics-ready in mid September. It's not like we can't critique the programs but I feel like sometimes people forget that.

yeslek

It's the beginning of the season! We never even used to see these competitions pre-internet or even pre-streaming. The whole point of them is to get out there, get feedback, and work on polishing these programs and developing them, not to be Olympics-ready in mid September. It's not like we can't critique the programs but I feel like sometimes people forget that.
But that doesn’t mean their scores should pick up where they left off last year. Teams are scored too high with these new programs.

VGThuy

I think H/D going for Janet from the Rhythm Nation period as opposed to the janet. period which was more staccato but @deegee is right that the cuts are off and using “Rope Burn” requires sensuality. H/D never displayed that fluid movement or hip action to really pull off this genre IMO, but I bet they’ll rework this RD to make it work more for their own style and it’ll be good by Worlds like their previous hip hop RD (wasn’t a fan but it got better at Worlds). I know people may be :eek: at this, but I’m looking forward to Chock/Bates’ RD because I find those two can truly dance with their bodies, yes even Evan. He knows how to move his hips but most people don’t notice since the choreography mostly focuses on her especially during the Igor days.

sap5

I think H/D going for Janet from the Rhythm Nation period as opposed to the janet. period which was more staccato but @deegee is right that the cuts are off and using “Rope Burn” requires sensuality. H/D never displayed that fluid movement or hip action to really pull off this genre IMO, but I bet they’ll rework this RD to make it work more for their own style and it’ll be good by Worlds like their previous hip hop RD (wasn’t a fan but it got better at Worlds). I know people may be :eek: at this, but I’m looking forward to Chock/Bates’ RD because I find those two can truly dance with their bodies, yes even Evan. He knows how to move his hips but most people don’t notice since the choreography mostly focuses on her especially during the Igor days.
I wish H/D had gone with "Janet." era music, because everyone dances to "Nasty" and "Rhythm Nation." H/D could do really well with songs like "That's the Way Love Goes" and "If." "Rope Burn" requires a kind of sensuality that I don't think H/D have (as a couple), tbh.

shuilee

Only a 123 for H&D. Low-ish score. Time to bring back "Hallelujah"? I don't think this music choice for the FD is gonna get them an Olympic medal. Sometimes it's the warhorses that would score better, especially in an Olympic season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information