Zimmerman suspended for 2 years by U.S. Center for SafeSport

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Maybe the parents should sue the rink for employing these coaches who basically got a slap on the wrist

One thing is I don’t understand why does Morgan have the phone number of a teenage girl on his phone. I don’t think there’s anybody under the age of 30 on my cell phone

How does that happen? Were they talking at the rink and overtime they exchange phone numbers?

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Regarding prohibitions for probation maybe it would prohibit them from having a little less free time, if the conditions mandate any sort of recurrency training regarding professional standards. Probably nothing else as long as they don't commit any new unethical or improper actions.

The parents and athlete might possibly have recourse against the coaches, such as some form of negligence or failure to act in the best interests of the skater and violating guidelines. But even if they pursued it and negotiated some kind of monetary damage reward, it would probably be paid by the liability insurance. All this comes down to just another big "so what" for any coaches who want to ply their trade in this manner.

Orm Irian

One thing is I don’t understand why does Morgan have the phone number of a teenage girl on his phone. I don’t think there’s anybody under the age of 30 on my cell phone

How does that happen? Were they talking at the rink and overtime they exchange phone numbers?
From Brennan's previous reports it appears the contact was via his Instagram account, not texting, so he wouldn't have needed to know her number, only her Insta handle.

Erin

Banned Member

The picture was sent through Instagram DM, not using phone numbers. In one of the older Brennan articles, she said she was able to confirm that the picture came from Morgan’s verified account.

BittyBug

Disgusted
He can still coach in the US privately in rinks, and even to elite skaters. He cannot do USFS clinics or be the coach of record at USFS events.
Yes, so since Fontana only got probation, it seems like she will be able to coach skaters at USFS events. All three will be able to continue teaching at their rink.
It's been a while since I was involved in coaching oversight, but as far as I remember, coaches need to be registered with U.S. Figure Skating to obtain liability insurance through the PSA. So yes, in theory, Zimmerman could coach, but he would need to have his own liability insurance, which may be difficult or overly expensive to obtain given his suspension.

Separately, given that the victim's father is a lawyer, now that Zimmerman's actions have been effectively certified as negligent by Safe Sport, I wouldn't be surprised if the family brought a civil suit against him, which could complicate efforts for him to salvage a coaching career.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

Though the picture wasn't sent via cell phone, Cipres coached her. My coach had my cell phone number and I had his. I think that's pretty normal once kids are teenagers.

WanderlustTO

Maybe i'm missing something - but i'd really like to know why a coach who participated in this behaviour against a 13 year old is allowed to coach again or, if he is, why it's only a 2 yr suspension.

This is the type of behaviour that, imo, should be taken out of the sport for good - not given a brief time out.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Maybe i'm missing something - but i'd really like to know why a coach who participated in this behaviour against a 13 year old is allowed to coach again or, if he is, why it's only a 2 yr suspension.

This is the type of behaviour that, imo, should be taken out of the sport for good - not given a brief time out.
How arrogant are these people? Pairs men in the western world. What’s been revealed just in the last couple of years.

Carolla5501

And this "sham" of "justice" is why we need to quit using this "pretend" system and get REAL law enforcement involved.

Maybe some jail time where these abusers get a taste of their own meds would be better for them?!

Frog Foot

It's been a while since I was involved in coaching oversight, but as far as I remember, coaches need to be registered with U.S. Figure Skating to obtain liability insurance through the PSA. So yes, in theory, Zimmerman could coach, but he would need to have his own liability insurance, which may be difficult or overly expensive to obtain given his suspension.

Separately, given that the victim's father is a lawyer, now that Zimmerman's actions have been effectively certified as negligent by Safe Sport, I wouldn't be surprised if the family brought a civil suit against him, which could complicate efforts for him to salvage a coaching career.
I believe there is an investigation in Florida that is ongoing.

VGThuy

And this "sham" of "justice" is why we need to quit using this "pretend" system and get REAL law enforcement involved.

Maybe some jail time where these abusers get a taste of their own meds would be better for them?!
Again, there is nothing in SafeSport procedures that prevents law enforcement getting involved. Both bodies do different things. I remember the Florida authorities searching for Morgan but he’s in France. As for why they didn’t go after the other coaches involved, you’d have to ask the authorities about that. And let’s face it, in these kinds of cases, law enforcement hasn’t had the best track record. Ask anyone who went forward with sexual allegations. They become the suspect.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member

yes, because REAL law enforcement is known for providing adequate justice for sexual assault victims.

Last edited:

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
It also sounds like the victim in this case was reluctant to come forward at first. Given the way law enforcement treats survivors of sexual abuse, and the low, low rates of guilty verdict/incarceration, I do not blame the girl or her family for not getting police involved. Should they choose that path in the future, I hope they are able to get a satisfactory outcome.

Kathryn2001

Someone wrote: "Maybe i'm missing something - but i'd really like to know why a coach who participated in this behaviour...."
My undersanding is that Zimmerman didn't participate in the photo behavior, he participated only in trying to cover it up and persuade the girl "not to tell", which of course was wrong and deserves punishment.
Just wanted to make sure everyone understands what I believe John did or did not do. I'm with whoever feels that Vinny D was very involved in Morgan sending the photos to the girl, and he should have had more punishment and been suspended.

bladesofgorey

The fact that rape and sexual assault is rampant in the prison system isn't something to celebrate or encourage as a way to punish someone. Prison rape jokes/ thinking prison rape is ok since it's a form of justice is not acceptable.

aliceanne

My understanding of the story is that the girls’ coach Vinny Dispenza dared the girls to ask Morgan for dick pics (he promised to reward them with a pizza if they did), so however they sent the request all Morgan would have had to do is hit “reply”.

I’m not sure why Vinny isn’t being punished for initiating this, but maybe Safesport doesn’t have sufficient proof of his involvement.

Carolla5501

Someone wrote: "Maybe i'm missing something - but i'd really like to know why a coach who participated in this behaviour...."
My undersanding is that Zimmerman didn't participate in the photo behavior, he participated only in trying to cover it up and persuade the girl "not to tell", which of course was wrong and deserves punishment.
Just wanted to make sure everyone understands what I believe John did or did not do. I'm with whoever feels that Vinny D was very involved in Morgan sending the photos to the girl, and he should have had more punishment and been suspended.
you’re missing something. He was a mandatory reporter and he decided instead of doing what he’s required to do under the law what he would do is intimidate the victim.

The fact that rape and sexual assault is rampant in the prison system isn't something to celebrate or encourage as a way to punish someone. Prison rape jokes/ thinking prison rape is ok since it's a form of justice is not acceptable.

I’m not being funny. This man failed in his duty to protect a child. And what does he get? two years you can’t coach and then you can go back to your life and nothings going to happen to you. and in the meantime your wife can still work so she can support you. Your wife who should have also been a designated reporter. This man failed to do his job.
Maybe if some of these people who don’t do the right thing go to prison it will encourage the rest of the coaches who think this is no big deal and they shouldn’t have to do the right thing either to start paying attention.

And if someone who fails to protect the child has to go to prison and bad things happen to him, I don’t feel sorry for him. This could’ve been prevented. He could’ve done the right thing. But he was more interested in making sure his skaters got a medal I’m sorry, but maybe if some of these people who think doing the right thing is to hard paid some higher prices than a little slap on the wrist we wouldn’t have as many problems in skating.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Remind me please - Who coached Zimmerman when he skated with Stephanie Stiegler? Was it Oppegard or was Oppegard their choreographer? Just a curious coincidence.

As for the Cipres photo matter, this Vinny fellow seems to have initiated what took place. I don’t get how he received such light punishment.

Debbie S

Remind me please - Who coached Zimmerman when he skated with Stephanie Stiegler? Was it Oppegard or was Oppegard their choreographer? Just a curious coincidence.

As for the Cipres photo matter, this Vinny fellow seems to have initiated what took place. I don’t get how he received such light punishment.
Oppegard was their coach and choreographer.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information