ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

Foolhardy Ham Lint

So I was looking at Harley’s Insta stories and I’m amazed that in Europe he’s at someone’s wedding. Can’t quite figure out whose. And him and Brendan and Luc, so many people at this wedding on the dance floor .... not a single mask. Celebrating and partying. Everyone shoulder to shoulder and embracing.

Weddings and choirs are the super spreaders.

It frustrates me that I see this behavior and I think that things wont improve. And then to post it....

I’m just like what are they thinking…

Is it Florent?? I think I see Morgan in one of the stories. So strange

Could they be any more naive or stupid?

I think you have summed up how cavalier some young people have been about the virus, thinking it is something only the frail and elderly catch. Such thinking caused a spike in cases, particularly in that very age group.

I seriously worry for their health after reading that.

euterpe

Could they be any more naive or stupid?

I think you have summed up how cavalier some young people have been about the *****, thinking it is something only the frail and elderly catch. Such thinking caused a spike in cases, particularly in that very age group.

I seriously worry for their health after reading that.

euterpe

Even worse, some of those thoughtless young people have elderly or health-compromised relatives who could catch the virus from them.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Admittedly, when I first saw Harley's stories I wasn't sure what I was more disappointed in; them attending a wedding that looks like absolutely no precautions have been taken...or Harley taking pics with Cipres and calling him his buddy. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww. Harley. What are you doing man.

Orm Irian

So disappointed to see Harley and Brendan and everyone else at the wedding behaving that way. I get that the event was probably planned well before France's current explosion in case numbers, but it's just so irresponsible to carry on like that right now.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

So disappointed to see Harley and Brendan and everyone else at the wedding behaving that way. I get that the event was probably planned well before France's current explosion in case numbers, but it's just so irresponsible to carry on like that right now.

I sincerely hope they don't get sick.

But to play the odds like that, with the endless warnings and casualties, what can I say.

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I enjoyed the skating at Russian test skate, BUT I'm also afraid that it may turn out to be a super spreader event, especially after hearing that Samodurova was permitted to compete while having a fever yesterday.

angi

A while ago we discussed the subject here and many insisted that it is doable to have skating events and make sure everyone involved will take the necessary precautions. Russian Test Skates might be the proof needed to show how it's unlikely to happen - crowd without masks, coaches without masks, officials without masks, almost no social distancing, and on top of it all a skater who skated her SP with a fever (Sofia Samodurova) while being coached by her 80 years old coach. It will be a miracle if there will be no outbreak related to this event.

Tahuu

^ Russia had skipped phase 3 trial and approved their covid19 vaccine in early August. It’s possible the skaters and audiences have been vaccinated. If the vaccine would prove ineffective from their ongoing phase 3 trial, the false security could cause them dearly.

concorde

^ Russia had skipped phase 3 trial and approved their ********* vaccine in early August. It’s possible the skaters and audiences have been vaccinated. If the vaccine would prove ineffective from their ongoing phase 3 trial, the false security could cause them dearly.
I wonder how many of the skaters, coaches, and other officials have received the vaccine.

Vagabond

Vladimir Morovoz is out of the Russia Cup with YNW.

Not surprising as the v**us has left her [Anastasia Shpilevaya] unable to resume her skating career for the time being. 😥
The injury came as her body was so weak after the v***s.
It doesn't feel right to clutter up #TTW with my ranting, and I'm not sure where else to post this.

I've seen plenty of links here on FSU to Twitter and Instagram posts showing skaters not wearing masks and/or in close proximity to others who clearly aren't in their pod. I've also read a discussion here of how Florent Amodio had a big wedding at which mask and social-distancing guidelines were not observed. The foreseeable consequence? Elite skaters and others will get infected.

As much as I miss elite international skating, if skaters are not going to take basic safety precautions then perhaps the ISU should cancel the season.[/RANT]

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
It doesn't feel right to clutter up #TTW with my ranting, and I'm not sure where else to post this.

I've seen plenty of links here on FSU to Twitter and Instagram posts showing skaters not wearing masks and/or in close proximity to others who clearly aren't in their pod. I've also read a discussion here of how Florent Amodio had a big wedding at which mask and social-distancing guidelines were not observed. The foreseeable consequence? Elite skaters and others will get infected.

As much as I miss elite international skating, if skaters are not going to take basic safety precautions then perhaps the ISU should cancel the season.[/RANT]

Totally understand where you're coming from. People are starting to wear down from the YKW but it doesn't mean it's okay to go mask-less. You should see the high schools here, teenagers everywhere without social distancing or wearing masks. It's a disaster.

litenkyckling

I think it seems like the virtual competition that the USFS are running for their ISP seems like best way forward - the ISU could feasibly carry out a Grand Prix season with the same rules which means that no skaters need to travel or leave bubbles. I'm sure they could easily figure out a proctor system and then have the judges meet on Zoom to evaluate. That way, you could have people compete against a variety of people regardless of their training location.

Lemonade20

I think it seems like the virtual competition that the USFS are running for their ISP seems like best way forward - the ISU could feasibly carry out a Grand Prix season with the same rules which means that no skaters need to travel or leave bubbles. I'm sure they could easily figure out a proctor system and then have the judges meet on Zoom to evaluate. That way, you could have people compete against a variety of people regardless of their training location.

in theory it sounds good, but it would be difficult to pull off.

PeterG

I believe at one point in the history of figure skating, there was one instance of judges cheating. I could be wrong though.

Lemonade20

arguably no more difficult than what they are currently trying to pull off?

okay here’s the problem: they have to get the judges online at the same time. They all need a strong connection. You still need people to set up cameras and follow the skater. you can’t assume the skaters are all at the same rink, so imagine trying to set up everything at each rink for Zooming. It’s more complicated than it looks. And the worst part? It’s not the same as watching in person. They don’t get playback on Zoom

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It's hard enough to sit through a work meeting on Zoom and follow everything that's going on. Trying to judge figure skating via Zoom would be next to impossible. There's just too much going on during a live performance to be able to fairly evaluate it with only video.

litenkyckling

okay here’s the problem: they have to get the judges online at the same time. They all need a strong connection. You still need people to set up cameras and follow the skater. you can’t assume the skaters are all at the same rink, so imagine trying to set up everything at each rink for Zooming. It’s more complicated than it looks. And the worst part? It’s not the same as watching in person. They don’t get playback on Zoom
ok, but I mean it's already happening in the US? They've figured out a system that works. It's not on zoom - skaters submit videos which are then judged once all are submitted. Here are the details.

There will never be a perfect system during this time, but there can be a safest system. I think thats more important.

Lemonade20

ok, but I mean it's already happening in the US? They've figured out a system that works. It's not on zoom - skaters submit videos which are then judged once all are submitted. Here are the details.

There will never be a perfect system during this time, but there can be a safest system. I think thats more important.

Again, not a fan of this. Submitting a video means the skater only gets to show the best performance they can. It’s still not the same as watching it live. It’s only a workaround solution for local events

litenkyckling

Again, not a fan of this. Submitting a video means the skater only gets to show the best performance they can. It’s still not the same as watching it live. It’s only a workaround solution for local events
um, they have a proctor? So they can't always show the best? If you watch the events that have already happened, such as the Junior RD you will see that one of the teams fell on the pattern and that was submitted.

You will never have the same essence as watching it live, but I'd rather see skaters, coaches, organisers and audiences not catch a life threatening virus and live at this time.

carriecmu0503

It seems some of you want the "life is cancelled" mentality to go on indefinitely? Did you not see the articles coming out, FINALLY, written by scientists/ physicians, that to many, the health effects of prolonged social isolation are far more detrimental than the very minuscule chance of a young healthy person dying of the virus? In the US, only 6% of the people who died did not have at least one other serious health condition. Of that 6%, many of them were already very old, having outlived the normal human life expectancy. Scientists/ physicians have actually asked for the crucification of young people just living their lives to stop. EVERY country has a spike in cases after opening/ reopening. This virus is not going anywhere anytime soon. It is not sustainable to keep the world shut down for it on an endless basis. We are going to end up losing far more (especially young/ middle aged) people to depression/hopelessness/suicide/consequences of poverty than would have ever died of the virus. At some point, it is needs to become a personal responsibility thing. Those who are at risk/ afraid can stay home. Others NEED to get back to living. We can't keep robbing children of a proper education because the very old or the already very sick might die. Those people can stay home if they so choose. Some will say the quality of their remaining days is more important to them than quantity, and that is okay, too. Actual in person interaction and touch is a basic human NEED, so stop crucifying people for just wanting to live their lives at this point! It has been nearly a year of extreme isolation in some countries, and this cannot continue. Every time I hear people should not meet in person with people they don't live with, it is painfully obvious they are completely and totally clueless and insensitive to the misery of those who live alone. Again, if you are at risk or afraid, stay home. For others, it is time to let them make their own decisions and not crucify them for it.

Japanfan

It seems some of you want the "life is cancelled" mentality to go on indefinitely?

Some will say the quality of their remaining days is more important to them than quantity, and that is okay, too. Actual in person interaction and touch is a basic human NEED, so stop crucifying people for just wanting to live their lives at this point! It has been nearly a year of extreme isolation in some countries, and this cannot continue. Every time I hear people should not meet in person with people they don't live with, it is painfully obvious they are completely and totally clueless and insensitive to the misery of those who live alone. Again, if you are at risk or afraid, stay home. For others, it is time to let them make their own decisions and not crucify them for it.

The problem with your view is that if people make their own decisions, they may pose a risk to other people, including the vulnerable/immuno-compromised.

Sometimes, the welfare and safety of the general public has to take precedence over individual liberty.

And you may have noticed that societies are reopening and restrictions are being reduced in some cases? Unfortunately, this has had the negative consequence of increasing numbers - for example, schools are reopening, only to close again.

carriecmu0503

The problem with your view is that if people make their own decisions, they may pose a risk to other people, including the vulnerable/immuno-compromised.

Sometimes, the welfare and safety of the general public has to take precedence over individual liberty.

And you may have noticed that societies are reopening and restrictions are being reduced in some cases? Unfortunately, this has had the negative consequence of increasing numbers - for example, schools are reopening, only to close again.

With your view of the welfare and safety of the general public in mind, it is time to return to regular life. The vast majority of people who have died of this disease around the world have been 85+ years old, and/ or already had severe underlying medical conditions. We cannNOT keep robbing EVERYBODY of the chance to live their lives. We are not truly living, we are existing. Children are being robbed of proper educations. Anxiety and depression rates are through the roof. People in their 30s and 40s have already been completely screwed economically twice, the Great Recession of 2008/2009 and now again. Billions of people around the world are suffering immeasurably. Exactly how much do you want the young and healthy to sacrifice/ throw away their lives just to save the very old and the very sick? For the good of society, it is time for the very old and the very sick to stay home if they so choose, and let other people simply live their lives, not be sentenced to a miserable existence. We can't just all roll over and not live, which is what we will have to do if society closes down every time there is another positive case. This is not going anywhere. I live in a county with 3.3 MILLION people. We have had 700 deaths, the vast majority of whom were 85-90+ years old. To me, the far bigger tragedy is the number of children who will never catch up educationally, socially, or emotionally, the people who have lost business and homes, developed anxiety/ depression etc. Millions are suffering because 700 mostly very old people have died. That is tragic. Again, if you are going to talk about the needs of the general public, the needs of 3.3 million need to trump the needs of 700.

Last edited:

Miezekatze

I'm somewhere in the middle on this.

Skaters are not only skaters, they are normal people too and of course they can be infected with the virus too, either in private or at work. But skating is their profession. I don't see how you can force people indefinitely to not work, just because some of them will possibly be infected. Just because skating is "just a hobby" for skating fans, doesn't mean it's "just a hobby" for the athletes.

Austria has tightened their restrictions again for example, only 10 people are allowed for private parties inside (in public spaces). In restaurants people can only have meals when they sit down and only 10 people can sit together at a table. So no big parties in nightclubs anymore and stuff like that and no bars with guests standing around, like they had over the summer.

But their rules for sports and sports events and cultural events are not being tightened, because there were no problems in those areas. People there infect themselves when having private parties in clubs and bars, bigger public events and sports worked well, so it's still possible in Austria to have 3000 seated spectators outside and 1500 seated spectators inside and to do sports both professionally and as amateurs. In Germany some soccer clubs will start the new season with spectators and some without and I suppose it will change a lot during the season, because it's a very dynamic situation.

Lots of sports are going on and when it's possible to hold a GP I'm sure it will be going on. Some might be cancelled because the situation is too bad. If some skaters are not very responsible in private, that's something you can't really control, just with any other part of the population. If those athletes take part in an officially organized event, they even organizers have to make sure they comply to the rules there. You'll never have anything "perfect" there though.

Dobre

Regarding the whole let's-be-fair issue, attending group events without wearing masks & social distancing isn't fair to any of the other skaters/coaches/judges on the circuit. It places everyone's season in jeopardy. I think we've seen the consequences already in almost every sport.

You can advocate to have things continue live, but it is the people who ignore the safety advice who wind up shutting things down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information