Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

Alexa

More ATS videos from honeywater
group number Sing Sing Sing and ending with Yuna, Javi, Shoma etc.

Day 1 boy’s number Thunder with Javi, Shoma and Junehyeong Lee

Video she made from his Korea visits last year: The record of Nathan ATS 2019

Alexa

SA videos fro honeywater
gala group number

Next To Me

SP run through

and some beautiful practice moments

Alexa

Back to ATS 2019, I couldn’t believe I didn’t post all these video links
Nemesis SBS

SBS version on Youtube

a very good fancam of Day 3 Nemesis, some hand details not captured in the SBS video

Next to Me SBS

next to me day 3 fancam

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Yale just published its undergraduate and graduate return to school COVID-19 requirements. If Nathan intends to return to campus, he would have to arrive mid-August to quarantine for at least 14 days. California is one of the states that Connecticut requires that quarantine period in addition to a negative test. I wonder if his posting about The Whale is a hint.

Sylvia

TBD
Relevant excerpt from the NBC Sports article:
Chen’s pre-pandemic plan was to move back to New Haven for his junior year and then take a break in the 2021-22 academic year to focus on the Olympics. But now, he’s leaning toward staying in California this fall, perhaps taking some non-core online classes. Most of Yale’s classes are expected to be held remotely.
“I’m going to take time off, I believe, because I just think that given the situation it’s going to be not really worth it to try to still attend while doing all this. I can just focus a little more on skating,” Chen said, noting he has two weeks to make a final decision. “I want to be able to return to school as a student rather than an online student.”

believed

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan reprised his Rocketman FS for the Carnival on Ice virtual exhibition (threw in a 4T & 3A at the beginning, 3T-half loop-3F, 3Lz, 3S, 3F, 3Lz and a backflip near the end):

I meant to post this article in here last week but forgot:
... It's a Wall Street Journal article (subscription required to read) - refers to USFS' ISP Points Challenge virtual competition that has its own thread in GSD:
...I was able to read the WSJ article on my phone and here's the best quote, IMO (from Nathan):
Alone on the ice he was able to skate without the mask he has worn for training--sparking a shocking realization mid-performance: "I've forgotten how to animate my face."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from GSD:
A side-by-side videos of Nathan's SP and FS for the opportunities 1 and 2 are made by his fan. Very interesting to see them. He changed a part of FS music from opportunity 1 to opportunity 2 (at 3:04 time stamp).

SP https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGDRCu9JwA8/
FS https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGFalLmp9Kx/
His ISU bio is updated with his 2020-21 program music: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054124.htm
SP: Asturias, Canción del Mariachi (from "Desperado") performed by Los Lobos, Antonio Banderas
FS: Selections from Philip Glass
Choreographer: Shae-Lynn Bourne

4 Glass pieces are identified in this tweet: https://twitter.com/dsntedge/status/1313597741428207616
Metamorphosis II
Violin Concerto I
Truman Sleeps [from The Truman Show OST]
Escape! -Kummerspeck Remix

Nathan made an appearance yesterday on ESPN's NFL Countdown show in the feature about the Spin Move - clip captured here: https://twitter.com/aboutNathan0505/status/1315334234161127424

Sylvia

TBD
Yale Daily News article:
Excerpts:
The statistics and data science major — who is on a leave of absence this year and also plans to take off the following academic year to prepare for the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing — is set to embark on a season unlike any of his others.
Chen noted that while this year’s offseason has been a little longer than normal, the relative overlap with a typical figure skating offseason helped him stay prepared to return to the ice.
Specifically with the free skate, this year’s slower, classically driven program is very different compared to the more contemporary “Rocket Man” program from last year, which featured a strong hip-hop section. Last year’s program set a world record for points in a men’s free skate at the 2019 Grand Prix Final in Turin, Italy.
“Even since I was a little kid … I’ve really been trying to explore new styles, new genres of music per competition,” Chen said. “The [free skate is] more or less in my comfort zone since it’s a little slower, the music is a lot more emotional.”
A combination of flamenco and mariachi styles, this year’s short program is “character-driven” and specific to the feel of “Desperado,” Chen told the News.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan’s partial FS run through - jumps landed: 4F+3T, 3Lo, 3Lz, 4S, 4T+1Eu+3F, 4T+3T, 3A.
One of my favorite moments is his back lunge during the “Truman Sleeps” middle section. :)

Post-practice quotes:
In a Zoom press conference, @nathanwchen said he was introduced to minimalist composer Philip Glass in a Listening to Music class at @Yale. Chen said he also is a big fan of Dutch painter Piet Mondrian, whose modernist work some consider to have influenced the minimalists.
Lynn Rutherford: https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/1319384351688282112
[Nathan Chen] partly credits his fine form to more focused training during off-season:"The lack of shows, lack of other obligations, made be able to go on a daily basis & train with Raf (Arutunian)." He is not currently enrolled in Yale but is auditing classes.
[He] finds the movement in the Latin section of his short more challenging than his free to Philip Glass selections: "It is more character-driven .... it's new for me. Glass is simple, minimal, I feel like I can interpret it better than the short."

orbitz

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Well, the quad Axel is 4.5 revolutions. ;)
That is ok....I am sure he earned. It somewhere in that program❤️

I noticed something extraordinary about Nathan....his hands are magical so expressive. Songs is really two people his feet and blades the most talented powerful and exacting around. And his hands and wrists move like they are attached to a cloud.

Fiero425

Well the last group is warming up! Zhou will go early, while Nathan wraps up the evening for the men! I had no idea the season was beginning! I got no warning and wasn't paying attention to the posts that mentioned it! Lucky I was surfing my cable and came across Skate America Live (4 hours)! :duh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information