The Skating Lesson 2019/2020

giselle23

Regarding Lease's abilities as a skater, I really took issue with the way he unkindly mocked the young Indian skater who competed at Lake Placid. I thought she was delightful, as did Ted Barton, when he interviewed her, too.

Yes, David, your Western privilege may have given you more access to ice time. It certainly hasn't made you a better person, though.

Thank goodness there are other educational resources out there apart from TSL, that leave the superior-minded snobbery at home.

Sorry, Dave, the Indian skater was better. Not that Dave is bad for an adult skater, but she tried more difficult jumps and had more transititions.

Seerek

Not thrilled that Lease uses his angry man personal agenda to bash Ted Barton, too.

He really did not like the Debbi Wilkes/Ted Barton combination at the mic at Skate Canada Autumn Classic last year.

I think the notion of requiring technical minimums for Junior Grand Prix was a little too much, imo

starrynight

My personal feeling is that the junior competitions for children (and sports in general for children) should be about enjoyment, learning and personal growth.

And for the vast majority of the juniors competing from all over the world, this is what the junior circuit is. (Charlie White once described skating in juniors as a really intense hobby - and that's coming from a USA skater who has more fed backing).

I think ever since all the little Russian girls came along skating at such an intense level in juniors, that people have lost perspective of what juniors should be. It's not fair to compare those Russians to everyone else, because they have the backing of the might of Russian funding, money and facilities and are trained at an intensity on a different planet to the other kids from small feds who do it as a past time after school. (And their parents have to pay for everything and ice time is limited). It's all just warped a lot of people's perspectives on things.

Honestly I have always felt uncomfortable with the focus that gets put on juniors (and particularly the obsession around the junior ladies who are so young). They are kids who should just be left alone to have positive experiences.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

My personal feeling is that the junior competitions for children (and sports in general for children) should be about enjoyment, learning and personal growth.

And for the vast majority of the juniors competing from all over the world, this is what the junior circuit is. (Charlie White once described skating in juniors as a really intense hobby - and that's coming from a USA skater who has more fed backing).

I think ever since all the little Russian girls came along skating at such an intense level in juniors, that people have lost perspective of what juniors should be. It's not fair to compare those Russians to everyone else, because they have the backing of the might of Russian funding, money and facilities and are trained at an intensity on a different planet to the other kids from small feds who do it as a past time after school. (And their parents have to pay for everything and ice time is limited). It's all just warped a lot of people's perspectives on things.

Honestly I have always felt uncomfortable with the focus that gets put on juniors (and particularly the obsession around the junior ladies who are so young). They are kids who should just be left alone to have positive experiences.

Interesting post.

I like the Junior Grand Prix Series in that it allows skaters who are still developing as technicians and performers the opportunity to compete on the global stage. Many have different goals, and just to get to this level of competition is a massive achievement. For some, it is their World Championship or Olympic Games.

Eastern versus Western goal setting is probably very different, too. Insofar as for some skaters, it is a nice extracurricular activity. For others, it is an important stepping stone to bigger things.

What probably makes it such a high-stakes experience overall, is the amount of time and money it takes to create a champion.

starrynight

Interesting post.

I like the Junior Grand Prix Series in that it allows skaters who are still developing as technicians and performers the opportunity to compete on the global stage. Many have different goals, and just to get to this level of competition is a massive achievement. For some, it is their World Championship or Olympic Games.

Eastern versus Western goal setting is probably very different, too. Insofar as for some skaters, it is a nice extracurricular activity. For others, it is an important stepping stone to bigger things.

What probably makes it such a high-stakes experience overall, is the amount of time and money it takes to create a champion.

Having attended a junior grand prix event, you can really see the vast range of competitors there. There are a big chunk of kids for whom you can tell just being there and competing internationally is a massive achievement. And you can also tell that this is a hobby they are pursuing while they are at school for fun and they will move on from it when they go to university.

Trusova at that JGP event literally looked (I say this nicely) like a space alien compared to some of the other girls. She had a level of intense physical conditioning that was very very different to the rest of the field - the intense kind that delays puberty and creates a tiny girl very different to your regular 13/14 year old. You could tell her training environment was on a different planet. After all, those girls from Sambo 70 actually go to school at their training location. It's a different world and there are opportunities to train intensively from a young age that are beyond the realms of even imagination for some kids. And in Russia there is incentive as well because of the funding opportunities and potential for quick fame. So much of this is about money. This training cannot happen without money. And lots of money. Could you imagine how much the all inclusive training and schooling at Sambo 70 would cost if it had to be paid on an hourly rate on a commercial costs structure?

My personal impression was that there is a big gulf at these events between those athletes from big feds with funding and a future mapped out for them and small fed skaters with $0 funding who are there for personal goals (because there are no other goals to reach because there are almost zero $$ and opportunities in their country for skating)

So I guess my point is that it is extremely elitist for TSL to make fun of small fed skaters. And also misses the point of what sports should offer for children i.e. the opportunity to have fun.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

So I guess my point is that it is extremely elitist for TSL to make fun of small fed skaters. And also misses the point of what sports should offer for children i.e. the opportunity to have fun.

I absolutely agree with this statement 100%.

Ted Barton is very much aware of this, too. He will sometimes comment that a skater did everything they planned within their ability, and on that basis alone, the experience is deemed a personal success.

For viewers, this is gripping entertainment.

It is also an opportunity to see the total spectrum of participants. Those, that do it for the love of skating, and those with Olympic Games aspirations on their minds.

On a side note, Trusova was a machine in practice and competition when I saw her live and in person. From memory, she did a jump sequence in warm-up that contained nine triple jumps. Crazy stuff that virtually had her victory sewn up before the competition had even begun.

Conversely, it must be eye-opening for skaters who are serious about the sport, yet are competing against the likes of Trusova. You have to wonder if it would make them and their team either strive to work harder, or re-evaluate their goals.

Last edited:

starrynight

On a side note, Trusova was a machine in practice and competition when I saw her live and in person. From memory, she did a jump sequence in warm-up that contained nine triple jumps. Crazy stuff that virtually had her victory sewn up before the competition had even begun.

A machine that was created by the Ru$$ian Machine. For example, would Trusova have been able to do this at that age had she been born in Johannesburg, South Africa, or Christchurch, New Zealand and not had the same opportunities?

Maybe she would have still become a very successful skater, but maybe taken a slower developmental path to success (as small fed skaters often do). After all, Javier Fernandez eventually harnessed all that raw talent of his, but it was a longer road.

You sort of really appreciate the success of some skaters who achieve it despite the system working against them and not for them. For example, some of the rinks in Australia aren't in great shape (I swear one of them is actually on a slope so you have to skate uphill when you go a certain direction lol). So I have a lot of respect for the skaters who achieve results when training in these conditions.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

A machine that was created by the Ru$$ian Machine. For example, would Trusova have been able to do this at that age had she been born in Johannesburg, South Africa, or Christchurch, New Zealand and not had the same opportunities?

Maybe she would have still become a very successful skater, but maybe taken a slower developmental path to success (as small fed skaters often do). After all, Javier Fernandez eventually harnessed all that raw talent of his, but it was a longer road.

Several examples I can think of are Australia's Kailani Craine and Victoria Alcantara training overseas, and getting the benefit of more ice time and concentrated training. It must cost their families an absolute fortune, too.

Also, female skaters are in the unenviable position of having to deliver technical fireworks earlier in order to make an impact at the world level. When compulsory figures were still around, ladies' often didn't begin to make their mark until their late teens, or even their early twenties.

mackiecat

The Jr Grand prix isn’t a competition for children to have fun at. It is a high level international competition for jr age skaters. Would the skater from India have gotten more value from taking the funds that were used to create jr level programs and send the skater and coaches to a Jr Grand Prix and use those funds to send the skater abroad to train or to bring in a coach from a developed skating program to teach both the skater and the coach?

Dave’s one comment was correct, these skaters were a danger to both them selves and the other skaters on both the practice ice and the warm up. Especially in dance.

starrynight

Would the skater from India have gotten more value from taking the funds that were used to create jr level programs and send the skater and coaches to a Jr Grand Prix and use those funds to send the skater abroad to train or to bring in a coach from a developed skating program to teach both the skater and the coach?

I think that sending a skater abroad to train or flying in a coach costs a lot more than attending a JGP event. As for 'the funds' I expect it is all her parents' own money.

I just think it's nice to see young skaters enjoying themselves. There's enough 13 year olds crying in despair over a popped quad lutz to satisfy those who want brutal competition.

At the Olympics, they always invite wild cards in certain events (like some swimmers who could barely swim and had to be bought swimming costumes by the Olympic Committee) and I think it's good that likewise the JGP circuit gives a similar opportunity to small fed skaters. Much the way the Olympics doesn't collapse from having a bunch of very slow swimmers, neither will the JGP from occasionally having low level skaters participate.

TSL would have just seen someone being happy and enjoying themselves and not been able to contain their own spite and jealously at a display of positive affirmation and self-confidence from a young girl. They have a history of targeting self-confidence - remember how they tried to criticise Tuktamysheva over her body shape and (thankfully) she served them right back and told them they 'needed to see a doctor'.

Last edited:

Tavi

Having attended a junior grand prix event, you can really see the vast range of competitors there. There are a big chunk of kids for whom you can tell just being there and competing internationally is a massive achievement. And you can also tell that this is a hobby they are pursuing while they are at school for fun and they will move on from it when they go to university.

Trusova at that JGP event literally looked (I say this nicely) like a space alien compared to some of the other girls. She had a level of intense physical conditioning that was very very different to the rest of the field - the intense kind that delays puberty and creates a tiny girl very different to your regular 13/14 year old. You could tell her training environment was on a different planet. After all, those girls from Sambo 70 actually go to school at their training location. It's a different world and there are opportunities to train intensively from a young age that are beyond the realms of even imagination for some kids. And in Russia there is incentive as well because of the funding opportunities and potential for quick fame. So much of this is about money. This training cannot happen without money. And lots of money. Could you imagine how much the all inclusive training and schooling at Sambo 70 would cost if it had to be paid on an hourly rate on a commercial costs structure?

My personal impression was that there is a big gulf at these events between those athletes from big feds with funding and a future mapped out for them and small fed skaters with $0 funding who are there for personal goals (because there are no other goals to reach because there are almost zero $$ and opportunities in their country for skating)

But skating is an elitist sport. It takes years to develop an elite skater. That training is expensive, and in most places outside of Russia - certainly in the US - that training is primarily paid for by the skater’s family.

Most elite skaters here come from relatively well off families. In some cases their parents may take out second mortgages or work two jobs. A few may have private sponsors. USFS does not provide funding or guidance to skaters until they reach a fairly high level - and even then it’s limited. They may pay travel expenses for JGP skaters, but that skater will still have to pay her coach’s expenses (not just travel costs but the cost of the coach’s time) out of her own pocket.

I would never say that skaters in the US don’t have advantages to skaters in countries where the sport is less developed - more kids are exposed to the sport and we do have more rinks and coaches, for example - but as to the kind of training a skater needs to eventually become elite, the benefits are generally confined to those who can afford it.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Bringing this conversation here from U.S. Ladies thread regarding TSL's recent comments about Gracie's performances at Regionals:

I’m pretty sure Dave just makes up facts to support whatever trash he wants to say.

And sorry but as long as fans support trashy David and his gossip it’s relevant to the topic at hand. People are relying on his gossip to influence how they feel about a skater

I'm not in disagreement with your views about DL. But regarding the bolded: I personally do not think it's true across-the-board that fans "rely on DL's gossip to influence how they feel." I think most fans who have followed skating for a long time, already know how they feel, and don't need DL to tell them how to feel. A lot of fans may listen to DL, ignore the crap and the cheap shots, and come away agreeing with one or two salient points that are void of nastiness. The problem is that newer fans, or less knowledgeable fans may end up relying on DL's gossip because he sells that he's in-the-know, via name-dropping, etc. Plus, in the absence of a variety of better fs coverage options, some fans are enticed to tune-in selectively.

TSL and DL have a following not just among some long time fs fans. There are also people in the skating community who actively support and deal with DL and appear on the show, likely for a variety of reasons: TSL is an important platform that so far has not gone away, in part because DL is tenacious, knowledgeable about fs, and he has contacts, followers, and supporters. He was lucky that Jenny collaborated with him and got the TSL platform going in a big way when it first started. They accumulated fans and some big time guests over the years. Though there was a slow, stagnant period after Jenny left the show, DL persevered and with the prestige of the platform and its archives, he gained support from some crucial skating insiders (possibly because they find him and the platform useful tools in publicizing what they are doing; and some people like Bezic and Doug Haw appear to actually like DL).

So, TSL began to pick up again with top level guests, even despite many skaters staying away who are turned off by DL. In addition, I heard on FSU that some U.S. skaters were advised to not give anymore interviews to TSL, or else they individually decided not to in the aftermath of DL's ill-chosen comments about Gracie and her family's woes a few years ago. But Canadian personalities continued to be hugely supportive of DL and TSL, especially Bezic, Haw, Duhamel, et al. And that support, along with the platform's viability, led to recent appearances by U.S. coaches and choreographers, as well as international skaters, including Aljona Savchenko, Benoit Richaud, and James/Cipres. Former top competitive skaters, including Kurt Browning and Katia Gordeeva, have also been interviewed on TSL.

The strengths of the platform itself, the recognition factor, the past guests and best broadcasts, the supporters DL has, and the die-hard fans who have stuck (added to the new fans picked up randomly on Youtube), have kept TSL afloat.

I agree that DL's less than respectable gossip gets spread, and that some fans who have issues with DL are still enticed to selectively watch on occasion (me included). This would be because there's precious little figure skating coverage and fans want to find out what's going on, and thus will try to filter out the dregs and crap to see if there's anything of substance worth listening to. In fact, there was in the Romain Haguenauer interview only because of Haguenauer, mind you! I have yet to listen to the Raf and Katia interviews despite really enjoying both of these skating greats. I listened to the Benoit Richaud and Igor Shpilband interviews because I didn't know much about either of them, and so I learned something new and enlightening. I think DL got the Raf, Shpilband and Richaud interviews partly in the aftermath of Frank Carroll's retirement and people in skating discovering that Jenny & DL had previously interviewed Frank in the early days of the broadcast. So, as I said, the platform and past, top level guests have continued to inject needed viability, buzz energy, and word-of-mouth.

So, while many fs fans in-the-know are fed up with DL, his putdown spiels, and his shtick, he has a core group of die-hards, key contacts in the skating community, the platform itself, renewed support from Jenny, fans who like DL's co-host (despite DL & JB both being way too similar and often grating). In addition, DL doesn't exhibit any discipline regarding format, length, random chatter, offensive chatter, etc. But it appears that most of the die-hards are forgiving, and some seemingly enjoy the snarky nature of DL's personality. Plus, as @essence of soy indicated in the U.S. Ladies thread, it's sometimes hard not to rubberneck in slow-moving traffic, when there's curiousity about the car crash that's snarling and holding up traffic. :( Thus, DL has lots of enablers added to his tenaciousness, and to the more straightforward aspects of his fs knowledge.

Natanielle825

When I started watching skating again 2 1/2 years ago, TSL was the most amazing find. Ive learned so much about the sport and I love that other people share my passion. But the continued coverage and exploitation of a girl with a mental illness has really turned me off the channel.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I found it interesting that DL made an effort to switch to at least pretending to be less snarky and more constructive regarding Starr Andrews' skating in TSL's Finlandia review (apparently JB didn't get a heads-up memo). Starr has clearly improved, and she is maturing beautifully, but of course she still has a lot to work on. This more constructive critique is warranted, but it still leaves me shaking my head in suspicion. The problem with DL and JB is all the mocking and putting down of Starr (and her mother) that they did previously which was uncalled for. Especially nutty and cruel is their harping on the viral video of Starr when she was 7. It's not as if Starr posted those early skating videos. It was her Mom who posted them. Doing so was about her Mom being proud of her young daughter and sharing her pride on Youtube. Looking at little Starr skating to Whip My Hair made a lot of people happy.

It's ridiculous for DL and cohort JB to have ever referenced those early childhood videos of Starr in a critical, putdown fashion. There's never any way to know how far a young skater will go. Some youngsters eventually decide to choose other pursuits, while some get bitten by the fs bug and end up perservering in what is an extremely difficult sport. So seeing videos of skaters on Youtube at very young ages has nothing to do with their current competitive status and on-ice prospects.

Accusing Starr of liking attention is also WTF dumb. :drama: DL must be projecting when he makes that claim. Anyone who enjoys performing and competing as an athlete at a high level either has a personality that comfortably and automatically attracts attention or else they have to learn how to deal with huge amounts of attention if they want to be successful. So DL should try and stick with the few positive observations he offered this time (but with less of the continued snobbery). Starr has always had a special quality about her. At her best, she's a wonderful performer. She needs to work on improving her SS and pacing herself in fp character pieces. The latter type of programs also require more expressiveness, which can be difficult to achieve when concentrating on completing packed technical content.

On another note, earlier in the pre-season or on the Junior GP, a young ladies skater (from Japan or Korea) skated a program to the music of The Color Purple. It was a nice program, but I had to wonder if the choice was made randomly and coincidentally because I remember DL & JB ill-advisedly mocking Starr and her mother in an episode last year, by suggesting Starr skate to music such as The Color Purple et al. They were being off-base snarky in suggesting that somehow certan music was necessarily confined to African-American themes and musicians. Actually, John Williams composed the score to The Color Purple. The selection used by the young skater this summer worked well for her.

I hope that Starr does not know about DL's putdowns, or that if she does know, it hasn't adversely affected her. This sport is tough enough as it is, without undue picking apart and snarky, malicious criticism. I think Starr is made of tough stuff though, and she's a beautiful young lady. I hope to see her re-discover the spark and confidence she exhibited in her breakout senior Nationals performances a couple of years ago.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I found it interesting that DL made an effort to switch to at least pretending to be less snarky and more constructive regarding Starr Andrews' skating in TSL's Finlandia review (apparently JB didn't get a heads-up memo). Starr has clearly improved, and she is maturing beautifully, but of course she still has a lot to work on. This more constructive critique is warranted, but it still leaves me shaking my head in suspicion. The problem with DL and JB is all the mocking and putting down of Starr (and her mother) that they did previously which was uncalled for. Especially nutty and cruel is their harping on the viral video of Starr when she was 7. It's not as if Starr posted those early skating videos. It was her Mom who posted them. Doing so was about her Mom being proud of her young daughter and sharing her pride on Youtube. Looking at little Starr skating to Whip My Hair made a lot of people happy.

It's ridiculous for DL and cohort JB to have ever referenced those early childhood videos of Starr in a critical, putdown fashion. There's never any way to know how far a young skater will go. Some youngsters eventually decide to choose other pursuits, while some get bitten by the fs bug and end up perservering in what is an extremely difficult sport. So seeing videos of skaters on Youtube at very young ages has nothing to do with their current competitive status and on-ice prospects.

Accusing Starr of liking attention is also WTF dumb. :drama: DL must be projecting when he makes that claim. Anyone who enjoys performing and competing as an athlete at a high level either has a personality that comfortably and automatically attracts attention or else they have to learn how to deal with huge amounts of attention if they want to be successful. So DL should try and stick with the few positive observations he offered this time (but with less of the continued snobbery). Starr has always had a special quality about her. At her best, she's a wonderful performer. She needs to work on improving her SS and pacing herself in fp character pieces. The latter type of programs also require more expressiveness, which can be difficult to achieve when concentrating on completing packed technical content.

On another note, earlier in the pre-season or on the Junior GP, a young ladies skater (from Japan or Korea) skated a program to the music of The Color Purple. It was a nice program, but I had to wonder if the choice was made randomly and coincidentally because I remember DL & JB ill-advisedly mocking Starr and her mother in an episode last year, by suggesting Starr skate to music such as The Color Purple et al. They were being off-base snarky in suggesting that somehow certan music was necessarily confined to African-American themes and musicians. Actually, John Williams composed the score to The Color Purple. The selection used by the young skater this summer worked well for her.

I hope that Starr does not know about DL's putdowns, or that if she does know, it hasn't adversely affected her. This sport is tough enough as it is, without undue picking apart and snarky, malicious criticism. I think Starr is made of tough stuff though, and she's a beautiful young lady. I hope to see her re-discover the spark and confidence she exhibited in her breakout senior Nationals performances a couple of years ago.

Back in the day, I remember when I saw Starr's viral YouTube performance to Willow Smith. My first thought was, this girl is a natural performer. My second thought was, I'm definitely going to follow her progress.

Elite skating is lucky to have a talent who can take such a restrictive format as IJS and put her personal stamp on it.

I wish Team Starr a successful Grand Prix Series season.

exNyer

Can someone identify the female blonde ponytailed skater in the opening credits? I've exhausted all my guesses :unsure:

muffinplus

So TSL is spreading gossipy rumours about Anna' Shcerbakova's weight and insinuations that she is being used as a cash cow for (by?) her family..and of course throw in some insinuations about what Eteri did to make Anna skate a clean free( you know the usual schtick about being emotionally abusive to her skaters,)... I guess some things never change

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

So TSL is spreading gossipy rumours about Anna' Shcerbakova's weight and insinuations that she is being used as a cash cow for her family.. I guess some things never change

Won't be watching. But it sounds like Dave is skipping his meds again. That channel is such destructive trash.

They really need to take a page out of Fran's approach on YouTube. Her quirky style is fun and educational, mostly directed at questionable judging, or charting a skater's progress throughout the season. Definitely worth a look.

Last edited:

muffinplus

Won't be watching. But it sounds like Dave is skipping his meds again. That channel is such destructive trash.

They really need to take a page out of Fran's approach on YouTube. Her quirky style is fun and educational, mostly directed at questionable judging, or charting a skater's progress throughout the season. Definitely worth a look.

I like Fran but not a fan of some of her commentary as it seems a little biased ( she often thinks Nathan is overscored and Hanyu is underscored, as well as her commentary about Eteri skaters) Also she is not really a skater, but talks about bad quad technique ( prerotation, full blade)... I take some issue with that. But overall I enjoy watching her, and she is quite fun and pleasant to listen to. And no random tangents

Finsta

Anna seems to be Dave’s favorite this year though? Didn’t watch. But isn’t he calling Anna his daughter?

Rock2

When I started watching skating again 2 1/2 years ago, TSL was the most amazing find. Ive learned so much about the sport and I love that other people share my passion. But the continued coverage and exploitation of a girl with a mental illness has really turned me off the channel.

Are we talking about Gracie?
If so, then the exploitation is being done by the coaches and training facility, which is their point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information