Ashley Wagner reveals she was assaulted by John Coughlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie S

USFSA PR has been terrible for years and years, to the point that I'm assuming that somebody higher up in the organization is a) limiting them from hiring someone decent or b) overseeing all somewhat major decisions and preventing any decent PR person from handling situations in a reasonable manner. I suspect option b.
It's probably both. They are a cash-strapped non-profit, so they're not going to hire a top-of-the-line professional. And the Board of Directors (i.e. the volunteers who officially run the org) probably have a large say in what happens, or at least keep the Exec Director on a tight leash, who in turn keeps the staff on a tight leash.

When USFS thinks of PR, they think about publicizing the skaters and events and engaging their members and fans. For something like this, they need a highly experienced PR director who is skilled in crisis mgmt. Since they probably can't afford that option, they could hire an agency. But agencies charge $200 and up an hour, so USFS likely can't afford that either. And with the BoD likely holding the reins tightly, hiring a take-charge crisis communicator would likely not be effective.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
TBH it's times like this where it becomes pretty obvious that USFS has no PR department - only a propaganda one. If their magazine/social media/website wasn't filled with flowery prose about how kind, talented, and perfect their skaters are I would think they had no one at all - just bots to post generic pictures and tweets.

I understand the purpose of canned statements (avoiding liability, fears of PR backlash, etc), but this is just outright tonedeaf. Tweeting a message that reads straight-up copy and pasted (sans words to name USFS) while not addressing major problems in reporting - like Sappenfield's social media posts and the baseball caps ETA: and at least one high profile skaters calling the accusers liars - appears and feels downright icky.

I looked up the USFS Communications Director and he’s six years out of college. He was promoted from coordinator to manager to director in that time. With all due respect, at this point they had better get themselves someone with experience in crisis communications because a crisis is what they’ve got.

ETA: hadn’t read Debbie’s post: I’m sure she’s right about the finances and political structure.

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
USFSA PR has been terrible for years and years, to the point that I'm assuming that somebody higher up in the organization is a) limiting them from hiring someone decent or b) overseeing all somewhat major decisions and preventing any decent PR person from handling situations in a reasonable manner. I suspect option b.

Sorry for double post but years ago I learned that option b is also accurate. You can have the best communications professional around but if you don’t listen to her, it won’t help.

I’d also note that it’s hard to get an experienced communications professional to move to Colorado Springs, not exactly an epicenter for career-building in my field.

BittyBug

Disgusted
They are a cash-strapped non-profit, so they're not going to hire a top-of-the-line professional. And the Board of Directors (i.e. the volunteers who officially run the org) probably have a large say in what happens, or at least keep the Exec Director on a tight leash, who in turn keeps the staff on a tight leash.
So cash-strapped that they are able to pay their Executive Director, David Raith, $330K in direct compensation? (That is from their IRS 990, which is publicly available.) For a position based in Colorado Springs? That is a LOT of money, so sorry, no sympathy for them.

Debbie S

So cash-strapped that they are able to pay their Executive Director, David Raith, $330K in direct compensation? (That is from their IRS 990, which is publicly available.) For a position based in Colorado Springs? That is a LOT of money, so sorry, no sympathy for them.
Non-profits usually give big money to exec directors and those involved in fundraising. Communications (and marketing) is not a priority for most orgs, for-profit and non-profit. They want to hire the least experienced, i.e. cheapest, person they can get away with. And as long as a crisis doesn't come along, promoting a 20-something who knows social media and knows design and video editing software to director probably works fine. But with this situation, their wonderkid is way over his head.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Non-profits usually give big money to exec directors and those involved in fundraising. Communications (and marketing) is not a priority for most orgs, for-profit and non-profit. They want to hire the least experienced, i.e. cheapest, person they can get away with. And as long as a crisis doesn't come along, promoting a 20-something who knows social media and knows design and video editing software to director probably works fine. But with this situation, their wonderkid is way over his head.
My point is that as Executive Director, being paid $330K+ for a job in low cost of living CO Springs, David Raith is responsible for making sure that the organization is adequately resourced. That's why he's being paid the big bucks. So when these types of failures repeatedly occur, it is Raith that should be held accountable. Not the Board - they don't make line staff hiring decisions, nor do they produce the budget. Raith. The buck stops with Raith.

Finsta

Maybe certain countries don’t value women. I see responses from Russia are differ than those of others. It’s a shame

This was sad from the beginning and keeps getting even more awful.

Willin

@Finsta TBH considering the response from Russian posters (at least Tinami Amori), Russian media, that Russian skater's instagram, that one Russian coach known to date/marry barely (or not) legal skaters, and the general acceptance of sexualizing some young skaters in magazines (sexy clothes) and on ice (Alina's catsuit program anyone?) I worry a lot about the young female skaters in Russia. I debate whether or not Tinami is a very determined troll, but what I have seen is that a lot of Russian fans are seemingly in agreement with her that certain relationships we'd consider predatory in the west are "cute" and then turning around and victim blaming skaters like Wagner. Although the culture in the West is still facing issues, at least it is in the process of changing to one where consent is discussed and predation is reported and punished. It doesn't seem to be that way in Russia yet, which is made all the more disturbing by all the very young superstar skaters they have there.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The existence of sibling dance pairs and mixed-orientation dance pairs (eg the Shibutanis, Karina/Manta, Papadakis/Cizeron) suggests that it's completely possible.
But people bitch about the sibling pairings and say they need to break up and skate with other people to get anywhere. Most of the time they say this is because sibling pairs can't do romantic programs. Apparently that's some kind of requirement as far as they are concerned.

https://streamable.com/rynvn

Dude doesn't seem to understand that both John Coughlin and his mother are dead, but whatevs. He can crawl back under whatever rock he came from.
He also seems to think that Coughlin was a psychic who knew Ashley was going to out him and so killed himself retroactively. :rolleyes:

It's actually not a lot of money for that sort of position. I would expect an ED of a sports NGB in the US to make between 500K and 1 mil. No matter what city they work out of.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Here is a capture of his Insta story. It’s ****ing gross.

https://streamable.com/rynvn

What an ignorant pile of crap. I’m glad Ashley came forward. The only way for the skating community to be able to start seriously addressing this issue was for a top name in the sport to come forward. My support is with Wagner and others that are victims. I know there are those out there that loved and knew a good side of Coughlin, but let me tell you this, both your experience and that of those who were assaulted can be true. Those that just defend because you choose to be ignorant or troll, I wish the best for your small and narrow minds.

Orm Irian

What's a mixed-orientation dance pair? Are you referring to sexual orientation?

Yes. You may remember that a few years ago there was a lot of kerfluffle in the media when a high-profile critic tried to argue that gay, lesbian and bi actors should stay closeted because once people knew they were gay they'd never be perceived as capable of playing straight roles/romances? (Ian McKellen, Sean Maher, Miriam Margolys and Jonathan Groff beg to disagree.) I've seen people claim the same of dance pairs with one LGBT and one straight member, but I doubt anyone other than a particularly committed YouTube troll could convincingly argue that, for example, P/C's tango from last season lacked convincing romantic chemistry.

The squick factor might put sibling pairs off trying, and fair enough - there are always other options for those who want to take them - but just having personally incompatible orientations doesn't mean a team can't create and portray heteronormative romantic chemistry if they want to, or other forms (eg P/C's To Build A Home, K/M's Sweet Dreams) if they want to do that. All that matters is that you click with your partner. The rest ist just acting.

canbelto

Here’s a personal story. I once taught a child who was put into my class after he had troubles with another teacher. With me he was a joy. Funny and sensitive and he would show me poetry he wrote. However one time I saw him get into an argument with his gf and I was truly terrified. The amount of rage and the fact that he kept lunging for her even with numerous ppl holding him back was chilling.

He graduates. Fast forward a few years. I read about him ... in the papers. He had viciously beat a man to death.

I was heartbroken ... but not surprised. To this day I get sad when I compare the funny child I taught to his haunted mugshot. But I know he had a dark side.

I think the JC defenders need to realize that it is okay to love someone with a dark side. It is not okay to dismiss out of hand any suggestion that he was less than an angel. You can grieve and not victim blame at the same time.

Here is the student I taught:

just tuned in

Here's my stupid comment: Assuming Coughlin hanged himself because he did not want to face the repercussions of his actions, I don't understand why he didn't leave a note to confess and apologize to his family, friends, and his friends whom he assaulted. I assume that he hanged himself because he expected that victims were going to come forward. Had he written a note to confess and apologize, perhaps the young ladies would have been spared the need to publicly step forward to identify themselves, and thus spared from subsequent bashing.

VGThuy

Here's my stupid comment: Assuming Coughlin hanged himself because he did not want to face the repercussions of his actions, I don't understand why he didn't leave a note to confess and apologize to his family, friends, and his friends whom he assaulted. I assume that he hanged himself because he expected that victims were going to come forward. Had he written a note to confess and apologize, perhaps the young ladies would have been spared the need to publicly step forward to identify themselves, and thus spared from subsequent bashing.

This will probably be the meanest thing I will say, but I think in order for him to do that, he'd have to self-reflect, be aware his behavior was wrong, and actually be sorry for what he did. I'm not saying he was not, but there's nothing out there to suggest to say he did any of that. Especially considering multiple people have come out with accusations against him meaning he continued this behavior of targeting and exploiting young, vulnerable girls/women for years, and with people like Dalilah and Tara Modlin and others in his circle who acted like he was an innocent saint who was undeservingly characterized as a villain by evil accusers with bad motives after he died.

Japanfan

A suicidal person is not always going to capable of thinking logically. Coughlin was likely feeling desperate, scared and deeply disturbed when he took his life.

This will probably be the meanest thing I will say, but I think in order for him to do that, he'd have to self-reflect, be aware his behavior was wrong, and actually be sorry for what he did. I'm not saying he was not, but there's nothing out there to suggest to say he did any of that. Especially considering multiple people have come out with accusations against him meaning he continued this behavior of targeting and exploiting young, vulnerable girls/women for years, and with people like Dalilah and Tara Modlin and others in his circle who acted like he was an innocent saint who was undeservingly characterized as a villain by evil accusers with bad motives after he died.

And this too.

His was most likely narrowly focused on what was going to happen to him - from his perspective, it probably looked like his life was going to be ruined.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I would expect an ED of a sports NGB in the US to make between 500K and 1 mil. No matter what city they work out of.
Geography absolutely matters in salaries - you don't get a NYC or Silicon Valley salary in Colorado Springs. And I don't know what the basis for your salary expectations is, but as an example, USA Hockey (also based in the Springs) has twice the revenue and their ED makes $319K base.

Vagabond

Last edited:

Debbie S

My point is that as Executive Director, being paid $330K+ for a job in low cost of living CO Springs, David Raith is responsible for making sure that the organization is adequately resourced. That's why he's being paid the big bucks. So when these types of failures repeatedly occur, it is Raith that should be held accountable. Not the Board - they don't make line staff hiring decisions, nor do they produce the budget. Raith. The buck stops with Raith.
I agree Raith is accountable. And I don't know for sure how USFS functions, none of us do unless we work there. I was pointing out some realities of the non-profit world and suggesting some reasons why crisis mgmt at USFS is nonexistent.

greenapple

Can't remember the last time I uttered the words "male chauvinist pig." But I am uttering them now.

Dumb does not even begin to describe the lack of intellect of this guy.

I remember reading somewhere last year that he was involved in a major online scam a few years ago.

MsZem

I see the sea
But people bitch about the sibling pairings and say they need to break up and skate with other people to get anywhere. Most of the time they say this is because sibling pairs can't do romantic programs. Apparently that's some kind of requirement as far as they are concerned.
I don't remember that being said about the Kerrs.

There's definitely a segment of fans who are like that, but we've also seen pairs and ice dancers find success without having a romantic connection on or off the ice. The question is whether skaters are getting a message that they need to look (and be) romantic.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
And I don't know what the basis for your salary expectations is,
Reading many articles about what CEOs of organizations like this get paid. The CEO of US Soccer's org made over 800k a few years ago and probably makes more now, as an example.

bardtoob

1) Men shouldn't rape.
2) Boys should be taught not to rape.

Now that is established ...

... Was John Coughlin the coach or some official that was overseeing Ashley Wagner?

If yes, then it is a USFSA, Safe Sport, USOC matter.
If no, then it is a police matter.

On a side note, Ashley's account sounds oddly like the end of Sixteen Candles when the Geek and Prom Queen are in the car except not skipping to the morning after.

aftershocks

Banned Member
If a skater is home schooled and spends most of his/her time at the rink, it is not an excuse for sexually inappropriate behavior in any way. Students are (hopefully) expected to behavior in a sexually appropriate manner at school, so the same should be true of the rink of other social environments.

Below is Ashley Wagner's take word-for-word, as she expressed in the video attached to the USA Today story. Her emphasis is on healing, and on people in the sport opening up and talking about these issues that have always remained silent and swept under the rug. As one individual was quoted in the NYTimes article, sadly the skating culture and the culture at large has condoned or looked away from behaviors often described as 'boys will be boys.' Ashley speaks more generally, but she does stress the fact that differing power dynamics are at play that need to be examined and changed within the skating culture. Ashley says she spoke out in order to help the next generation, not to hurt anyone:

"Naming John was such a hard decision for me to make. I do not know his family, but I can try to understand the pain that they are experiencing, and I never ever want any bit of this to hurt anybody. The only reason why I am doing this, and naming him, is so that I can add a bit of legitimacy to my story. It's not about his name. It's about the fact that this happened and it was allowed to happen because of the environment that I grew up in as an athlete.

A huge part of the problem that we face [in skating] is that [there are] all of these elite athletes who don't have an environment beyond their sport. And you have someone in their mid-20s, and the selection of women to choose from, it's a sea of teenagers… So it's a pressure cooker environment, and it creates really unhealthy power dynamics and relationships within the sport. And no one talks about it in skating, and it's not normal, and it creates situations like this where his [John Coughlin's] actions were inexcusable. But also, he didn't see me as a minor, he saw me as one of his equals because we were teammates. And I can understand, to a degree, how that can be confusing for someone on the other side of things.

... I've been living with [what happened] since I was 17. This has happened to other women, and this continues to happen in my sport. So just because [John] is no longer with us, doesn't mean that I can sit back and allow other athletes to put themselves in this position."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information