Who will win the bronze medal in ladies

Bronze medal in ladies

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slipchuk

Banned Member
Unless Medvedeva misses the games with injury it seems almost a done deal Medvedeva and Zagitova will win the gold and silver medals. Who will win the bronze though. Kostner, Daleman, Osmond, Sotskova, Miyahara seem to be the 5 who have a real shot at it. Anyone else would be a major surprise.

topaz

I have a feeling Alina Z will not be the silver medalist. I think the pressure will get to her and I see Caro winning the silver and Alina Z holding on for the bronze.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I wouldn't count on your top 2 being the top 2.

Daleman on fire, Satoko on fire.

No-one seen Medev skate in a bit.

LOL, I just read your post @MR-FAN you go!!!! Id lurve for a Canadian repeat sprinkled with a Kostner or a Nagasu.

slipchuk

Banned Member
I think it will be Daleman who will carry momentum from her great Canadian skates. Regardless though I dont think it will be Sotskova. While she looks the strongest now I think the judges will make her the sacrificial lamb to deny a Russian sweep. Judges dont usually like sweeps.

worldsnice12

I voted for Satoko although I am a bit worried if she actual manage to jump well enough to get into the last group after the SP. If she does, then I believe she has the goods in her LP to get the bronze.

slipchuk

Banned Member
I find the support for Daleman in this thread kind of surprising. I did vote her, but I thought I was going out on a limb and going on a gut feeling, I didnt expect so many to follow suit. I would love to see it, but she isnt the most consistent skater, and she is really just a jumper and technician so she has to hit all the jumps with big GOE like she did at Canadians or she wont medal if the others girl skate clean or even reasonably clean. Her PCS wont hold her up, and her PCS are only fairly high if she hits all the jumps to create enough energy and spark to compensate for her lack of polish.

I also find the degree of support for Miyahara a bit surprising. She looks back on track but she still came only 5th at the GPF skating well, and that was in an incomplete field. Her jumps are very prone to underrotation, and the judges are no longer turning a blind eye to them like they were for awhile.

Lastly I find only 1 vote for Sotskova kind of amazing. It looks like a lot really agree with me that the judges are unlikely to allow a sweep if they can avoid it as she has been the strongest of all these women so far this year.

It is also interesting to see Osmond with only 5 votes when Daleman has 11. Before Canadians this year, it seemed pretty set Osmond was the Canadian #1, even after worlds last year where Daleman medaled with her.

caseyedwards

Injury isn’t the only reason Medvedeva may miss the games! the screening panel may not like her lobbying for Russia!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
There are no guarantees in the Olympics, The favorite may not win. We have seen this many times. I think almost everyone on this poll has a chance to win Gold or Silver.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I think Osmond will earn an Olympic bronze with the strength of a good SP. Daleman’s PCS won’t be in the same league internationally so I’m surprised people suddenly have such faith in her again.

My second choice would actually be Medvedeva :shuffle:

Of course there is room for upsets but I see the Olympic podium consisting of a combo of Zagitova, Sotskova, Kostner, Medvedeva or Osmond.

Miyahara would be pick my as a dark horse

Then I’d have Daleman, Tursynbaeva, Sakamoto, Whichever U.S. woman delivers.

briancoogaert

It's so opened. So many talented girls who can make mistakes.
Daleman and Osmond can be fantastic but not so consistent.
Miyahara is consistent but has underrotation issues.
Carolina Kostner is by far my favorite skater of the field, but her technical content is not the best, and she rarely skates without mistakes when she tries 2A/3Sal, 3Flip...
Sotskova is the most consistent with proper jumping technique, but I'm not fond of her style.

petro

1. Kostner
2. Miyahara
3. Nagasu

Ha I wish. Bronze will go to whoever hits better between Kostner and Osmond IMO, unless disaster strikes for them both in which case I predict a Russian sweep.

topaz

Carolina unveiled her revamped 3lutz at Italian Nationals and it looks good. The 3fl/3toe combo appears to be back to. I think Caro is going has no pressure and she'll skate brilliantly.

Sotskova is prone to under-rotations too and along with Satoko. However, jumps looks better at Japanese Nationals in which was not given under-rotations. Satoko has the BEST programs(short and long) of any skater maybe in any discipline and her I expect huge scores in pcs for Satoko. I think Satoko could be outside shot at bronze too if Alina Z feels the nerves.

Spun Silver

My crystal ball tells me one of Med or Zags will succumb to loss of training time or pressure and have to settle for bronze or silver. I think Kostner will get a medal, or if not her, then Mirai. :) Hey, it's the Olympics. Surprises happen!

slipchuk

Banned Member
I agree with the individual who said Dalemans PCS internationally will be lower than the other girls on this list UNLESS she skates virtually perfectly, in which case there is a PCS boost as PCS always follows TES to some degree. Really she does need to jump superbly though to medal.

Kostner upping her jump content makes her very dangerous if she hits everything. Her spins are weaker than virtually all the other top girls too though so she will give up some in TES there, and in fact needs to be close to the others in jumps even with a PCS advantage. And her PCS is not that big, since as I said PCS always seems to follow TES to a degree.

Osmond needs a great short, since a totally clean long is unlikely, and she needs a better LP than she had at the GPF or she has hardly ever had regardless.

I am interested how the judges score Tennell. I do not think she can medal regardless, unless it is a real splatfest. I just dont see her getting the PCS needed. I am interested seeing how close she can come though if she skates cleanly (which she usually does) as you know some of the others will make mistakes.

Nagasu if she can somehow get that triple axel more solid is a much better dark horse for a medal than Tennell I think IMO. Although I am not sure if she will get the PCS or even GOE needed regardless, but a clean triple axel early in a program should give her a boost in all her scores, particularly PCS, the way the judges normally score.

I do agree both Medvedeva and Zagitova, while clearly the hands down favorites, are both possibly vurnerable too. Medvedeva due to her injury and some time off from competition. Plus the insane pressure she will be under. Zagitova due to inexperience, and also she has had problems with the short program all season.

shady82

Both top Russians seem a bit vulnerable. I'm betting Medvedeva will win gold since she's a trooper. Zagitova lacks experience and might fold like Lipnitskaya in Sochi. It's a whole new ballpark for her, and her SP seems to give her so much demons. I'm predicting Kostner and/or Miyahara will end up on the podium. Nagasu is a dark horse.

Another prediction similar to what happened in Sochi -- I bet Daleman will be like Suzuki in that she peaks at Nationals and skates so-so at the Olympics.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Nagasu if she can somehow get that triple axel more solid is a much better dark horse for a medal than Tennell I think IMO. Although I am not sure if she will get the PCS or even GOE needed regardless, but a clean triple axel early in a program should give her a boost in all her scores, particularly PCS, the way the judges normally score.

Neither one of them will get the PCS from an intentional panel of judges.

Bradie will get higher Technical because none of her jumps are under review, Mirai's all of them are. Depends on her night.. she may get little or no UR or she may get an Easter Basket. We have to wait and watch!!!

Yes, Osmond needs a squeaky clean SP.

Kostner will get the highest PCS of anyone (and deservedly so).

If Daleman is back on she will do great. Positives are changes of her SP costume and going back to last years Rhapsody (even if boring). Anything beats the tinkerbell version of Gladiator.

Will be very exciting! And so will Worlds...

Im wondering also how Satoko will do...

Polaris

I have a feeling Alina Z will not be the silver medalist. I think the pressure will get to her and I see Caro winning the silver and Alina Z holding on for the bronze.

I bet this too. Not Kostner winning the silver, but Alina Z not being silver medallist.

shady82

If the outcome is similar to Sochi, then I bet: (1) Kostner, (2) Medvedeva, (3) Osmond, (4) Miyahara, (5) Zagitova. Kostner is the spoiler, Osmond hasn't been on top form throughout the year but skates very well at the Olympics, Miyahara does well but is just under the radar, and Zagitova struggles with nerves (but will probably do better at Worlds).

slipchuk

Banned Member
I could maybe see Kostner beating Zagitova is she is perfect with her supposably upgraded content and somehow delivered one of her best performances with it (already a big ask) particularly if Zagitova has a bad short as she has in many of her competitions this year.

For Kostner to beat Medvedeva though, Kostner would have to even outdo her Sochi performances and Medvedeva would have to skate really bad, probably the worst she has since becoming a Senior. Despite some in this thread saying Kostner will get the highest PCS the reality is in 4 head to head programs this year Medvedeva has the higher PCS in 3 of the 4, and the one she didnt was already one of her weakest performances. So Medvedeva certainly is going to be up if not ahead of Kostner even in PCS if she skates well. And of course a clean Medvedeva would utterly demolish even a clean Kostner on TES. Much higher base value, higher GOEs especialy on the spins. And since Medvedeva is so consistent that scenario is unlikely, even topping the already unlikely scenario of Kostner skating cleanly to begin with.

demetriosj

Bradie will get higher Technical because none of her jumps are under review, Mirai's all of them are. Depends on her night.. she may get little or no UR or she may get an Easter Basket. We have to wait and watch!!!

While Bradie's jumps seem reliable, they are very low and not pretty. As tall as she is, I would think she'd have higher, bigger jumps. Just not exciting to watch.

Sonata

In my dreams, Miyahara or Nigasu!....
As much as I like Daleman, I think if she skates well, the judge will go, how wonderful, such potential for the next cycle.... and then stick her in the dreaded 4th place position.

slipchuk

Banned Member
I dont see international judges loving Tennell nearly as much as the U.S Nationals jumps. Little jumps and little girl programs, with childish music. A bit like Tara Lipinski in 97, a poorer version of 97 version Tara with poorer spins and less X factor that is, but she doesnt have the benefit of a rubbish field that Tara had in 97, and her technical content is not superior to the international big guns like Tara's was.

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
We need to get some of the US pride back in ladies' figure skating. I hope one or all of them have a good Olympics, so we can get some metal in the suitcase home.

I'm hoping the next group of US female skaters get psyched to learn big jumps and develop PCS skills to catch up with the rest of the world.

There are so many good skaters around the world today, so it is fun to see the diversity and talent from around the world. I can't believe I'm saying this, because I used to be so racist. California has changed me for the better.

tylersf

Amen to that sister!

We need to get some of the US pride back in ladies' figure skating. I hope one or all of them have a good Olympics, so we can get some metal in the suitcase home.

I'm hoping the next group of US female skaters get psyched to learn big jumps and develop PCS skills to catch up with the rest of the world.

There are so many good skaters around the world today, so it is fun to see the diversity and talent from around the world. I can't believe I'm saying this, because I used to be so racist. California has changed me for the better.

DreamSkates

I voted Kostner for bronze because her skating is so special, not to mention her short program score at Euros. Can't wait to see what happens with the long program.
I think Med and Zag have the international points and momentum to place on the podium. But I would like to see Osmond, Satoko, and/or Nagasu there. Can we give medals to the top ten, please?

JockProf

I think the gold medal will be between Thomas and Witt leaving Kadavy, Trenary, and Manley to fight for the bronze ...

Oh wait a minute, I'm channeling my Calgary predictions here since I had no one to talk to about these with 30 years and there was not something called the Internet ... :)

skatingguy

decently
I think the gold medal will be between Thomas and Witt leaving Kadavy, Trenary, and Manley to fight for the bronze ...

Oh wait a minute, I'm channeling my Calgary predictions here since I had no one to talk to about these with 30 years and there was not something called the Internet ... :)
That Midori Ito is something - she seems like someone to watch. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information