Who will win the bronze medal in ladies

Bronze medal in ladies

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

berthesghost

Assuming everyone skated well, I don’t think the judges will be interested in recreating the euro podium when there are viable contenders from Canada and Japan. I think ideally they like to spread the oly medals around amongst the continents.

bumblebeevich

Banned Member
I think the judges would be just fine with a European sweep given the current field. It hasnt happened in awhile or maybe ever (not sure if it ever has) since there has been atleast one special skater from U.S or Japan ever Olympics since the 80s atleast- Witt, Ito, Yamaguchi, Kwan, Lipinski, Slutskaya, Arakawa, Kim, Asada. There is no non European skater like that currently. There also has arguably not been 3 really strong skaters at the Games from Europe ever, while this year there are 4 this year with the 2 obvious favorites plus Kostner and Maria S.

berthesghost

Everyone is free to have their opinion. If you want to belive that Osmond, Daleman, and Miyahara are "nothing special" have at it. The judges have shown they have no problem giving them world medals. The judges also tend to mark down older skaters making a comeback, but we'll see. The last (and only) time the Olys had a European only ladies podium was Berlin 1936.

Speaking of stats: in the past 4 years the 12 world medals have gone to 11 different ladies. Only Med has a managed to win 2 world medals this past quad. Of the 11 world medalists this quad, 6 of them won't even be at the olys. So that means only 5 world medalists vying for 3 spots.

bumblebeevich

Banned Member
Well lets look at simply. Unless Medvedeva or Zagitova bomb badly they have the top 2 medals locked up. So that leaves only the bronze medal for the rest.

Kostner just turned in a bad free skate full of mistakes at Europeans and still was placed over a well skating Sotskova who has been the clear 3rd best skater so far this year until now and was 2nd at the GPF.

Daleman if she duplicates her Canadian National performances or Osmond if she somehow can do a clean short and semi clean long are the only threats to a European sweep. Miyahara's jumps are too weak, and the judges are no longer turning a blind eye to her <s and other isses like they did for awhile, the other Japanese nobody outside of Japan has heard of (they were stupid to not send Higuchi) and the U.S women sure arent going to medal.

DobrinFan

Miyahara's jumps are too weak, and the judges are no longer turning a blind eye to her <s and other isses like they did for awhile.

She got favorable calls as recently as Skate America were people argued that her underrotations weren't called allowing her to win over Sakamoto. And guess which judging panel will be at the Olympics ;)

Bellanca

Who will win the bronze medal in ladies? Impossible to say. Gold and silver (despite recent Euro results) remain up in the air. I know a few ladies who have their eye on the prize, ;) don't we all? And do not intend to settle for the bronze -- which is not too shabby of a prize, if you can get it!

Ice is slippery... :sneaky:

shady82

She got favorable calls as recently as Skate America were people argued that her underrotations weren't called allowing her to win over Sakamoto. And guess which judging panel will be at the Olympics ;)

The Skate America technical caller is a decent choice. Callers like the one at Skate Canada should have no place on judging panels.

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
Kostner probably. The scores she got in Euros LP for such a bad skate were a total joke. Although if Daleman skates like Canadian Nationals and Kostner falters again the judges hopefully have no choice but to give it to Daleman. I think those are the top 2 bets at this point.

Maria has had a good season but losing to a bad Kostner at Europeans on home ice is a forewarning of sorts as the Games near. The judges will not let a Russian sweep unless they absolutely have to. She was getting better marks while Medvedeva was away and she wasnt Russian #3 briefly, that isnt by chance.

Osmond can win the bronze or even better if she ever puts it all together but she is more unreliable than Kostner.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Kostner probably. The scores she got in Euros LP for such a bad skate were a total joke. Although if Daleman skates like Canadian Nationals and Kostner falters again the judges hopefully have no choice but to give it to Daleman. I think those are the top 2 bets at this point.

Maria has had a good season but losing to a bad Kostner at Europeans on home ice is a forewarning of sorts as the Games near. The judges will not let a Russian sweep unless they absolutely have to. She was getting better marks while Medvedeva was away and she wasnt Russian #3 briefly, that isnt by chance.

Osmond can win the bronze or even better if she ever puts it all together but she is more unreliable than Kostner.

Id love to see Kostner get the bronze... but after that display at Euros, I could easily see Daleman sneaking in after that display at Can Nats. (and a - 5 points for Kostner's costume disaster.) (And a +5 points for Daleman's new costumes) tee-hee

Osmond... well, she keeps doing the formula of GREAT first half of LP and as soon as the second half starts the same 2 mistakes on the next jumping passes......

Spoiler alert: KAORI!

briancoogaert

LOL
The only chance Carolina Kostner has to win the bronze at the Olympics with her Euros LP, is that the others skate very badly. And I love Caro skating !
At Euros, she had a FANTASTIC SP, with 78 points, while Sotskova faltered.
Her LP alone didn't give her a medal. She had a medal because it was against Sotskova who faltered both in the SP and the LP.
Anyway, I hope Daleman, Osmond, Miyahara or Sakamoto can do more than 204 points overall.
For their Euros performances, I hope Kostner and Sotskova won't be any better than 6th or 7th.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
At Euros it us clear that Carolina was suffering from the curse of the sparkling frog. Hopefully she will ditch that costume.

Kostners skating skills are so gorgeous she deserves her scores.

Gabby Daleman was utterly possessed at Canadian Nats. Has she ever skated like that before?

But OLY ice is mysterious. I don't remember the last time the " Clear Favorite" going in actually won.

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
But OLY ice is mysterious. I don't remember the last time the " Clear Favorite" going in actually won.

The last 3 Olympics it has happened a lot actually:

Plushenko 2006
Navka & Kostomarov 2006
Totmianina & Marinin 2006
Shen & Zhao 2010
Yu Na Kim 2010
Virtue & Moir 2010 (arguably, maybe they were only the slight favorites though)
Volosozhar & Trankov 2014
Davis & White 2014

And of the only 4 times it did not happen in most of those there wasnt even a clear favorite so the scenario was impossible to begin with- 2010 men, 2014 men, 2010 dance if you dont believe V&M were the clear favorites, 2014 ladies, all but 2006 ladies (where Slutskaya was probably the clear favorite and even that is debateable after the GPF loss to Asada). 8 of the 9 times there was a clear favorite, the clear favorite won at the last 3 Olympics. Of late if you are a clear favorite it is almost automatic.

The only thing is I am not sure if there is a clear favorite in any of the 4 disciplines this year. Nobody is probably anymore than a slight gold favorite.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Kaori is just so good.

After these Olys I could easily see Kaori and Bradie as the non-Russian skaters who start to rise!

I would say that both Kaori and Bradie need to mature but man so does Zag.... So saying they need to mature to medal doesn't then sound quite right.

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
Kaori is just so good.

After these Olys I could easily see Kaori and Bradie as the non-Russian skaters who start to rise!

I would say that both Kaori and Bradie need to mature but man so does Zag.... So saying they need to mature to medal doesn't then sound quite right.

Zagitova is technically light years ahead of Kaori and Bradie though, even if both are consistent and good jumpers they still dont come close to Zagitova who is destroying even Medvedeva on TES scores at the moment.

AxelAnnie

The last 3 Olympics it has happened a lot actually:

Plushenko 2006
Navka & Kostomarov 2006
Totmianina & Marinin 2006
Shen & Zhao 2010
Yu Na Kim 2010
Virtue & Moir 2010 (arguably, maybe they were only the slight favorites though)
Volosozhar & Trankov 2014
Davis & White 2014

And of the only 4 times it did not happen in most of those there wasnt even a clear favorite so the scenario was impossible to begin with- 2010 men, 2014 men, 2010 dance if you dont believe V&M were the clear favorites, 2014 ladies, all but 2006 ladies (where Slutskaya was probably the clear favorite and even that is debateable after the GPF loss to Asada). 8 of the 9 times there was a clear favorite, the clear favorite won at the last 3 Olympics. Of late if you are a clear favorite it is almost automatic.

The only thing is I am not sure if there is a clear favorite in any of the 4 disciplines this year. Nobody is probably anymore than a slight gold favorite.
Sorry. I just meant ladies....since that is what the thread is about. I dont know how clear a favorite Kim was with Mao there. But she was the only one I could think of as even close to a favorite.

zigzig

The judges are gonna make sure Kostner medals - even if they have to make a special exception for her PCS to go to 11 :lol:

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
Sorry. I just meant ladies....since that is what the thread is about. I dont know how clear a favorite Kim was with Mao there. But she was the only one I could think of as even close to a favorite.

Kim was definitely the clear favorite. Mao had a bad season and had not even make the GPF. Furthermore she had finished 4th at Worlds the previous year behind Kim, Rochette, and Ando. She was not even pre qualified for the Games going into her own Nationals while Miki Ando was. Mao skating as well as she did and getting the silver was arguably a bit surprising given her season.

So the only times there was a clear favorite since 88- Witt (88), Baiul (94), Kwan (98), and Kim (2010) the clear favorite won 3 out of 4, and the only time she skated cleanly and lost in a 6-3 split to her biggest rival.

In 92 Yamaguchi was co favored with Ito for the gold and won. In 2002, 2006 and 2014 there was no clear favorite for the gold but 2014 is the only time someone outside the top 3 favorites won and clearly it was all political.

There is no clear favorite in 2018 either as Zagitova and Medvedeva are very close at this point.

AxelAnnie

Kim was definitely the clear favorite. Mao had a bad season and had not even make the GPF. Furthermore she had finished 4th at Worlds the previous year behind Kim, Rochette, and Ando. She was not even pre qualified for the Games going into her own Nationals while Miki Ando was. Mao skating as well as she did and getting the silver was arguably a bit surprising given her season.
Thanks. I could not remember the season...just that she won silver

Kultakissu

I doubt the judges will let that happen unless it is a splatfest. She is Japanese #2 and not a big name outside of Japan. Her PCS will also be below all the other contenders probably, so her TES will have to slay.

Probably, I just posted it here for the record so that if it happens, I get to BRAG :biggrinbo

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information