The Carolina Kostner Thread

MsZem

I see the sea
This isn't my favorite program of hers, but it was nice to see Carolina in such great form today! I hope she can keep this up in the free skate.

Let's say... I have perceptions about the future and I love to write them down.
Maybe you can start your own predictions thread, then, since this one is about Carolina Kostner and not about your attempts at performance art.

Laney

Wow, she was stunning!!!!!!! Such a great skate! And a fantastic second place! Congratulations Caro! The only thing I really don´t get is why she lost the PCS to Medvedeva... 2 points in the SP, 3 in the FP... Strange. But she can be so proud about how good she skated at this competition! Thank you Caro for such beautiful programs!

msadot

Wow, she was stunning!!!!!!! Such a great skate! And a fantastic second place! Congratulations Caro! The only thing I really don´t get is why she lost the PCS to Medvedeva... 2 points in the SP, 3 in the FP... Strange. But she can be so proud about how good she skated at this competition! Thank you Caro for such beautiful programs!

Love that you start praising and counting. :)
Next Stop: Korea Medal!

kittyjake5

Lol msadot are you serious? Your facts are a little screwy. That said Congrats to Caro on winning the Silver Medal. Her SP and especially her FS were just beautiful. Caro gave a master class in skating today!

Laney

Love that you start praising and counting. :)
Next Stop: Korea Medal!

I don´t start :p I praise her since 15 years...
OTOH you really seem to have big problems with her... I don´t get why you post here, but I won´t reply to anything you post after this and may just ignore you...

msadot

I don´t start :p I praise her since 15 years...

OK.

OTOH you really seem to have big problems with her...

Why? Because I say she medals? Go tell Plushenko, who calls her that way.

And... yes: I love the fact that "Medal" competes for Italy. :) Federica Pellegrini, Arianna Fontana, Caro, Tania Cagnotto grant great results.

Last edited:

bardtoob

Regarding Kostner's LP, skating to Debussy is very hard. French Impressionistic Music, as a form, does not have western tonal direction and so it does not sound like it is going anywhere is particular. To skate to it, a skater must captivate the audience beginning to end or the audience will get bored because they will feel like the program is never going to end.

Conversely, Romantic Music has western tonal direction and big sweeping orchestrations that give the skater clues about when timing of movements will be most artistically effective and tells the audience when to expect the music to be done.

Vagabond

Regarding Kostner's LP, skating to Debussy is very hard. French Impressionistic Music, as a form, does not have western tonal direction and so it does not sound like it is going anywhere is particular. To skate to it, a skater must captivate the audience beginning to end or the audience will get bored because they will feel like the program is never going to end.
This made me think of "the greatest of all skaters," seen here doing Prelude to an Afternoon of a Faun as an exhibition at the 1971 World Championships. John Curry says in a narration fourteen years after the filming, "You tell me afterwards if anyone has come near this kind of artistry." It's a shame he's not around so that he could finally get an affirmative answer. :swoon:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
What Kool-Aid is Johnny drinking?

I just watched the NBC telecast. Caro can absolutely be on the Oly podium as Tara said.

Johnny, Johnny.... she just got the Silver at GP Russia. Will she be Oly Champion. No. But she's right there for silver or bronze. Who knows what type a day Osmond or Wakaba will have at Olys. Or Daleman, or Wags and for SURE Anna if these people are there representing. Still need to see how Zagitova and Honda are scored on series.

Caro has the experience, the artistry and I think her technical content increases each time she will go out this season. Also, Caro isn't under review for <.

FSfan107

I guess he is thinking if everyone hits. It will be tough for Carolina if there are clean skates by the likes of Med, Zagitova, Osmond, etc with their more ambitious technical content. I don't think it's out of the question that Carolina could make the podium though. I think she'll add back the lutz and triple flip-triple toe. I loved her performance here and hope she can do well at the Olympics. Her music is a nice change of pace from the other "busy" music that tends to give me a headache.

Vagabond

I think she'll add back the lutz and triple flip-triple toe.

In the SP yes, but not in the FS. In her current FS, she has two triple flips, two triple salchows, two double axels, and two double toe loops. She can't repeat a third type of either a triple or double jump, so the most logical way for her to increase the Base Value of her jumps is simply to replace the triple toe loop in the second half of the program with a triple lutz in the first.

briancoogaert

This made me think of "the greatest of all skaters," seen here doing Prelude to an Afternoon of a Faun as an exhibition at the 1971 World Championships. John Curry says in a narration fourteen years after the filming, "You tell me afterwards if anyone has come near this kind of artistry." It's a shame he's not around so that he could finally get an affirmative answer. :swoon:

Conversely, Romantic Music has western tonal direction and big sweeping orchestrations that give the skater clues about when timing of movements will be most artistically effective and tells the audience when to expect the music to be done.
And talking about both Debussy and John Curry, I think her Exhibition to clair de Lune is a perfect example of what John Curry said about "writing the music on the ice" :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH2HlonLQ8o
Absolutely gorgeous. :swoon:

antmanb

In the SP yes, but not in the FS. In her current FS, she has two triple flips, two triple salchows, two double axels, and two double toe loops. She can't repeat a third type of either a triple or double jump, so the most logical way for her to increase the Base Value of her jumps is simply to replace the triple toe loop in the second half of the program with a triple lutz in the first.

If the opening 3F+2T becomes 3F+3T then she doesn't need the solo 3T later in the programme. I would expect her to be working up to adding the Lutz so that the FS opens with 3F+3T then 3Lz and the flip is repeated in place of the toe loop. Even if the 3F+3T doesn't transpire but the lutz does she could substitute the solo 2A for 3Lz. There's plenty of room to manoeuvre a 7 triple programme.

I found it interesting that she isn't doing the spiked three turn into 3F anymore she's using Mishin's technique of going from a RBO edge to step into the LFO three turn.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I have no doubt Mishin has it worked out and they will modify the program as they feel comfortable. Getting on the podium at the Olympics will be a challenge. Even getting there at Europeans with the top 3 Russians (whoever they are at that time) may be a challenge. But, I don't care. One thing for sure, barring an injury, at least one of Mishin's students will be at the Olympics so he'll be giving her his full attention.

Seerek

I personally think Kostner is safe for the Olympic podium if she duplicates her Rostelecom Cup performances even with the same base value content.

...though trying to explain that (well-deserved and well-earned) result to Canadian, Japanese (and perhaps American) greenhorn media should this happen will be a task-and-a-half.

msadot

at least one of Mishin's students will be at the Olympics so he'll be giving her his full attention.

Seems like Brian Orser ( sorry, do I spell it right?) separated his two Oly men and his two Oly ladies. Honestly, I 641596941588534% agree.
Caro herself trained in Oberstdorf in this period, even though Mishin seem to enjoy to make Caro and Liza compete for the same title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information