"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Haven't watched Mirai's FS yet but it sounds like she did well, winning the FS and second overall with some good jumps but some shaky ones too. Not too shabby. And I'm encouraged by some of the remarks here on how Mirai's FS is shaping up! Here's crossing fingers for Mirai! It's only July but the future is now! Hoping that Mirai just gets stronger and stronger as the season progresses and that she Rocks out both of her programs in the GPs! :respec::rockstar:

For the moment I'm reading Jackie Wong's twitter pbp: https://twitter.com/rockerskating and I really love his website too! :D http://www.rockerskating.com/

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
hmmmmm well I like some of the elements looking stronger and Im glad she edited the dress...I wasnt liking the music... a bit too sleepy hollow, uninteresting for my taste. I think Im preferring The Great Gatsby and even TWTIA musical compositions over this. I thought would like the music a lot more. :( Maybe I need to watch this for a third time.

You do. It's understated and beautiful, but still with a touch of vulnerability. It's generic and it works. I'm so relieved.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Okay, reading over the above comments I am getting super psyched to see Mirai's new FS, mistakes and all! I'm holding out as long as possible till I read over comments here and on other boards. :D

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Why torture yourself like that? :confused: you could've been on viewing number 6 by now! :COP:

I like the use of her extended lines, the intentional half-arabesque, the spread eagle, Ina Bauer, and the music is edited in a way where it doesn't seem like 4 minutes. The jumping passes are all on important beats of the music, it's just solid all-around IMO. It showcases her as a very polished and beautiful skater. Big potential for her to finally come back as a leading lady.

What were her PCS for this? I'd expect low-mid 8's? I'd go 8.75 on choreography, the other ones still need some work.

chapis

I love it :cheer:, the program and how she is skating, I know she was not so nervous in this competition like a gp or other big competition, but she seems so into the choreo, I hope she continues like that because I really could not enjoy her last performances when she looked only focused on her jumps.

bardtoob

For Mirai's 2017-18 LP, if she hits the accents that are built into the choreography in addition to skating clean then it will really be something. There are some dead spots and the elements don't quite blend at times, probably because it is new choreography.

I am not a fan of 3Lp being at the end of an LP. I think a toe jumps, including Lutz and Flip, are a better way to go, or at least a 3S.

ETA: Yeah, I would interchange the placement of the 3Lp with the 3S so that the 3S is at the end.

Last edited:

Maximillian

RIP TA
Really, really like this LP! As others have said above, it has the feel of a champions program. But perhaps more importantly, Mirai looks in terrific shape and really beyond where she is usually by the GPs in other seasons. It really will be all about the nerves this season, as she has what it takes program and content wise to be on the Olympic team.

GullyGirl84

The program could use some content/transitions between the jumps (and even a few token facial expression cues could go a long way towards filling out the empty spots where there isn't much choreography), but overall, this program has much more potential than her last ones in recent memory! Good music cut, Jeff definitely understands her strengths, she looks like she's in great physical shape. I'm hoping the planned choreography has the spiral held a little longer. The jump layout that they are going for is interesting. I love how (mostly) consistent she has been with the 3S, considering she wasn't even going for it anymore until she went to Tom.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Why torture yourself like that? :confused: you could've been on viewing number 6 by now! :COP:

I like the use of her extended lines, the intentional half-arabesque, the spread eagle, Ina Bauer, and the music is edited in a way where it doesn't seem like 4 minutes. The jumping passes are all on important beats of the music, it's just solid all-around IMO. It showcases her as a very polished and beautiful skater. Big potential for her to finally come back as a leading lady.

What were her PCS for this? I'd expect low-mid 8's? I'd go 8.75 on choreography, the other ones still need some work.

I think I've watched it 8 or 9 times by now - and loving it more and more with each viewing! This FS has HUGE potential for Mirai if she hits and really sells it! I LOVE the cut of the music and how she hits certain music accents on the beat! Love it! I too would love to know what she got on PCS. I wonder if she was going for a 3A in the FS but switched to the 2A at the last second which caused her to put her hand down? The 2A is usually one of Mirai's best jumps (and she has one of the best 2A out there!).

bardtoob

I wonder if she was going for a 3A in the FS but switched to the 2A at the last second which caused her to put her hand down? The 2A is usually one of Mirai's best jumps (and she has one of the best 2A out there!).

I think she had a hand down on the 2A because it was too big #3AProblems. I think the solo 2A is placed so that it can be a 3A ... If she did do the 3A then my suggestion of interchanging the 3Lp with the 3S would probably be impractical since that would put the 3Lp immediately after the 3A ... However, Mirai would need to be in phenomenal shape to both do a 3A and do a 3Lp at the end, IMO.

3Lp is actually a good jump for Mirai but still hard compared to any toe jump at the end of a program.

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

While I can absolutely tell that she's thinking every single through, as she should be at this point in time in the season, that program was over before I knew it. She and Jeff have hit their stride as choreographer and skater.

Though this isn't the appropriate thread, I am so happy that Jeff is doing so well after his competitive career.

SidelineSkater

Mirai won the 'final round'/second FS portion at Skate Detroit with a score of 129. From twitter, she stood up on the 3A, and gave us an 8 triple program! With 8 triples and that score, I'm sure there were UR's, but nice she's skating this well this early.

I'm still warming up to the music selections, mostly because they don't move me for a FS program. However, I think its a perfect vehicle for her to develop over the course of the season. Great selection with highs and lows and plenty of spots for choreo highlights. Honestly, as a piece of music, TWTIA moves me musically/emotionally - but was likely not the best choice last season. Good to see others like the music on Mirai - I think it's a good fit too.

Hard to believe four years ago, she didn't have a 3S in her competitive arsenal. Plus no consistent 3/3. Naysayers will still harp on the UR's (let's get those fixed), but this is a fantastic start for her season!

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I felt something watching the second half of the 2nd 2017 Skate Detroit LP from Mirai. There was a lot of, ummm, American optimism or sentimentalism in it. Lynn-Holly Johnsonish.

Also, I believe she can do all the planned jumps now, including the 3A, although ending with the 3Lp was still difficult.

ETA: https://youtu.be/WXp01G6PoPE

Omigosh!! :eek: I LOVE this FS even more now!! We need a heart eyes smiley!! I'm already visualizing Mirai nailing a program like this (without the blip on the 3R!) at the GPs and especially Nationals!! :respec:

She'd bring the house down!! :cheer: :cheer2:And this is Mirai in July! :rockstar:

Hopefully she will just get better with each outing in both the SP and FS - when it counts! I'm afraid to even hope!

GO MIRAI!! :kickass:

Ok, I'm going to sit back and relax and watch that FS a half dozen times more or so! :summer:

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Wow the difference to her skating in just a 3 day period. :wideeyes: I love this program! I think it's going to be her best ever, it suits her so well and she's naturally more expressive with this more subdued music. The elements are so well placed. That 3axel was > but a great attempt, I'm so happy! Keep it up! :cheer2:

leigh466

I'm scared of how I feel right now. Afraid to even write this, so as not to jinx anything. Yes, Buttle gets her. Wilson tried to push her to a place she did not yet have in her repertoire. It might have worked with more time, but this Miss Saigon program fits her like a glove, as is.

floskate

Vacant
I felt something watching the second half of the 2nd 2017 Skate Detroit LP from Mirai. There was a lot of, ummm, American optimism or sentimentalism in it. Lynn-Holly Johnsonish.

Also, I believe she can do all the planned jumps now, including the 3A, although ending with the 3Lp was still difficult.

ETA: https://youtu.be/WXp01G6PoPE

Great analogy! It's when she lands the 2x3t combo isn't it? Totally get this. And yassss Mirai!! :kickass:

GullyGirl84

I'm so happy that Mirai was able to back it up with another solid performance. She supposedly landed several clean triple axels in the warmup (per the people live tweeting SD, but they said they didn't capture them on video). I will admit to still thinking that a LOT could be added to the program in terms of choreography and transitions. There are some lovely musical highlights where nothing but jump setup and two foot skating is going on, though I like the ending footwork a lot. I guess I should just be happy that she got a new LP. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information