Paul and Islam: "No Matter What"

canadablue

Nothing personal, but you seem to be an uber-fan that has overreacted to a couple of rather mild comments by myself & Emdee. ;)

I don't consider someone who responds in detail to criticism of a team in that team's own thread as especially uberish. If I was going around finding a way to mention P/I in every single thread on here, or insisting that only those who truly appreciate P/I can be a part of this thread, I might see your point. And what exactly is overreacting about correcting someone when they're putting inaccurate information out there in a discussion? Backing up your arguments with evidence is much more mature IMO than filling your reponse with condescending emoticons. If you don't wish people to point out where you might have your facts wrong, then don't make statements that are easily shown to be inaccurate or logically tenuous. I will say, though, that some of my response was driven by the fact that this type of criticism (expression, originality) keeps coming up - regarding Mitch, regarding P/I, regarding other teams - and so the strong tone of posts is not only in reponse to this isolated conversation - because it's not an isolated argument you're making, it's far too common.

Neither one of us said anything to attack P&I - we were just discussing some ways they might get higher marks from judges. :)

Exactly. And I used the opportunity to point out why your criticism of them didn't justify why their marks were lower. You made the specific argument that the marks at Worlds were possibly partly determined because of P/I's lack of expression, and so I responded with two points - one, that there style of projection is just as legitimate as G/P's per the rules, and that the relative weight of something like "expression" is not much of an explanation for the difference in scores to begin with. If you were talking strictly pragmatically, acknowledging that the judges do seem to have a habit of being corrupt/lazy/whatever and not always going by the book, that'd be one thing, but the rest of your post seems to suggest that you feel the judges' decisions are trustworthy.

But this is your opinion, not a fact. At Worlds the judging panel placed G/P ahead of P/I in almost every area of both TES & PCS. So actually, according to the judges at Worlds, G&P were the ones that excelled on all the PCS criteria. According to the way the judges used the rulebook you referred to, G&P were ranked higher than P&I. Maybe next year it will be the reverse. I think the two teams are close in ability and may flip back and forth. I can see the strengths in both teams.

I thought I made it perfectly clear that I think the judges aren't judging per the criteria. You are using the scores to justify G/P's supposed skills, when it should be the other way around. The actual skating that occurred should match the scores, and it doesn't. It is a FACT, not my opinion, that the PCS criteria, as written, as a whole, cannot justify G/P winning the PCS component at all, let alone by the margins they did - 1.60 in the SD and 2.79 in the FD. The fact that the judges gave a different verdict about it says little because the criteria is still the criteria. If you want to defend G/P's PCS capabilities, explain why they met the actual criteria better than P/I did. If you don't have time for this serious discussion thing, that's certainly fair, but then I trust this specific topic will also no longer presently be worth your while. I only posted a second time because you appeared to be attempting to continue the conversation by completely ignoring what I had said. If you don't wish to continue the discussion due to the seriousness and time commitment, by all means, it is well within your rights to not continue it.

And btw, I never said that expression was the only element of PCS. You're right that there are many other aspects of PCS - and G&P beat P&I on all of them at Worlds. So did Coombes & Buckland, The Shibutanis, Sinitsina & Zhighansin, etc. So this isn't about G&P vs. P&I -- it's about looking at how P&I are being evaluated in relation to all of the other teams too.

Hahaha, I'm quite aware that it's not only G/P that are unfairly outscoring P/I on PCS - you were the one who brought up G/P. Or, rather, emdee discussed the top 4 Canadian guys, and you connected that to why P/I finished below G/P in the PCS scoring. Line up the criteria with P/I's skating, and their placement clearly becomes ridiculous vs. many teams. The Shibs are excellent PCS skaters, but S/Z and especially Co/Bu should certainly not be beating P/I in components either (regarding the latter of which I acknowledge you agreed later in your post). Let me reiterate - you cannot use scores to justify scores. You can only use the criteria and the skating that actually happened. It just so happens I'm working on a video project that will allow people to do just that - compare those two things and figure out what range the score should have been in. I will be sure to post here for anyone interested once it's ready.

Not sure what you mean by G/P not being 'required' to do 'subtle romance'. G/P have actually done a couple of playful/romantic programs. This year they moved on from the bubbly stuff of their youth and did a FD which had a darker obsession theme. A team doesn't have to be a real-life couple to try 'subtle romance'. Unless the team are Siblings, every dance/pairs team becomes a romantic couple in the eyes of the audience, while they are on the ice.

By subtle romance, I mean the style of program and expression that P/I do that I love, that appears to bore a certain segment of ice dance fans. I found their FD this year absolutely breathtaking, but it's certainly valid if others did not. Some fans I know feel that there is something quite difficult - or perhaps, underappreciated might be a better word, since being an off-ice couple certainly makes it easier for P/I to convey - and beautiful about the type of connection P/I portray. I think many criticisms aimed at them seem to be saying that they should be doing something different than what they're already great at, and my whole point to begin with was that isn't necessary under the actual written publicly-available criteria. I don't think G/P pull off the romance angle anywhere near as well as you seem to, but where they aim for that, it's not meant to be subtle. And that's fine. That's valid under the rules as well.

Anyways, as a Canadian, I like to appreciate all our dance teams and their different qualities. :) I hope fans of each team will praise their favourites without being too negative about their rivals. Btw, it would be good to discuss our Canadian teams without always having to discuss one vs. the other.

As a Canadian, I value things like fair play in sports, and open, but factual, discussion. In the format of skating, where nationality plays a much diminished role compared to something like team sports, I feel no obligation to cheer for teams I don't enjoy, or to have a high opinion of teams that I don't think exemplify great ice dancing, just because they are Canadian. (Or to love a team I enjoy less because they aren't Canadian.) Nor do I feel obligated to ignore when the scoring has been hinky. This is (supposed to be) a sport. A sport in which teams compete against each other. Comparing teams and pointing out the flaws of teams - not trashing them, but pointing out where in there skating/dancing there are issues - is totally reasonable. I have no issue with the simple fact that you criticized P/I. Your criticism and accompanying theory were flawed, so I responded, with arguments, with evidence. I respect that some people are fans of figure skating only to be entertained, and dislike criticism or comparison of teams, and that is totally their right, but if they're going to make statements about the scoring, then I'm not going to pretend that it's not a sport with rules and criteria for their sake.

Emdee

I love P/I 's sublety and have never questioned their techinical competence. I still believe they need to deliver on the day of. Historically they have made a number of silly mistakes.This year I saw a big difference in them which I ascribe to (KC). I saw them several times in Thornhill, St John and Ottawa - all live. Their FD in St John was exquisite and they clearly outshone GP at Canadians.

Unfortunately COP is not really followed by judges and ultimately either politics or a desire for a certain style trumps technical competence when the marks are given. I wish it were not so because then my favourites VM would have won the GPF and Olys!

My opinion of P&I not bringing the WOW factor ( except for Alex's gorgeous red dress!) on the ice still stands. There is something very hesitant about their delivery. Its as though they are not sure that they deserve to be there on the podium.They do not exude confidence.

GP ( especially P) have so far to go in terms of quality of skating, technique edges etc. Yet their force of personality and their programs make one take note of them. Clever choreo has hidden their flaws as a team but I think they are coming together very nicely and the Hitchcock program was IMO a masterpiece in hiding the flaws and bringing out their strengths. After all that is what Zueva did to highlight DW who have done the same twizzles and programs for the last 5 years and it worked for them.

I wish both teams well going forward. I am a proud Canadian and I want our dance teams and other teams to do well on the world stage. This doesnt mean that I dont like teams from other countries but I certainly wouldnt fly to Paris for a Lithuanian team!

canadablue

I agree with many things you just said, Emdee. K&C deserve much credit for the leaps and bounds by which P/I have improved over the last two seasons, not the least of which is consistency. They had three competitions this season in which there was no major mistake in either segment, and I'm sure that will help their confidence heading into next season.

I actually do agree somewhat with you about the confidence thing, now that you have clarified that. I don't think they need to change the type of subtle connection they do, and so much criticism of them seems to be coming from that angle. And I think the expression that they do at present have is underrated. But do they still have room to improve their projection and seem a little more sure of themselves? Absolutely. And I don't doubt they will, they've had a hard road to get to the point they're at, but have hopefully hit the point where they can just concentrate on building from here. I remember watching SC, Tracy saying in the commentary that she spoke with Krylova and she screams at them whenever they start to doubt themselves LOL. It seems to be working. I thought over the season I saw a real improvement in their expression - the strongest of which was Nats IMO. Near the beginning of their FD, there's this moment where Alex turns and gives the judges this look, and it's awesome! And Nats actually seems to be, understandably, where they peak - the strongest performances of their programs that have some more extraverted, playful moments are the 2013 Nats SD and the 2014 Nats SD IMO. If they can get to the point where Nats isn't the be-all-end-all for them - either because of V/M or W/P retirements, or simply because they become the secure #3 team, I expect to see more evenness, more of a steady build over a season, in their confidence levels and consequently in the strength of their performances.

Also, I would just like to rephrase my comment on being Canadian a bit, because I certainly am proud of my country as well. I want Canada to be successful, and I want Canada to have excellent skaters and teams that they can send to competitions. But that's more just my wish for the way I'd like things to be, and has no effect on which teams I actually cheer for. It's just the cherry on top if they happen to be Canadian. Many of our fellow V/M devotees aren't Canadian, and yet V/M is still their favourite team, and they'd do/would fly to competitions if they could. Likewise, I have a set of teams that I love, and if I had the resources would fly to see any of them anywhere. I wouldn't go to a competition nearby if it only had Canadian teams that I don't enjoy. But I get that some others enjoy rooting for all the Canadian teams, and that's cool too.

Emdee

I agree with many things you just said, Emdee. K&C deserve much credit for the leaps and bounds by which P/I have improved over the last two seasons, not the least of which is consistency. They had three competitions this season in which there was no major mistake in either segment, and I'm sure that will help their confidence heading into next season.

I actually do agree somewhat with you about the confidence thing, now that you have clarified that. I don't think they need to change the type of subtle connection they do, and so much criticism of them seems to be coming from that angle. And I think the expression that they do at present have is underrated. But do they still have room to improve their projection and seem a little more sure of themselves? Absolutely. And I don't doubt they will, they've had a hard road to get to the point they're at, but have hopefully hit the point where they can just concentrate on building from here. I remember watching SC, Tracy saying in the commentary that she spoke with Krylova and she screams at them whenever they start to doubt themselves LOL. It seems to be working. I thought over the season I saw a real improvement in their expression - the strongest of which was Nats IMO. Near the beginning of their FD, there's this moment where Alex turns and gives the judges this look, and it's awesome! And Nats actually seems to be, understandably, where they peak - the strongest performances of their programs that have some more extraverted, playful moments are the 2013 Nats SD and the 2014 Nats SD IMO. If they can get to the point where Nats isn't the be-all-end-all for them - either because of V/M or W/P retirements, or simply because they become the secure #3 team, I expect to see more evenness, more of a steady build over a season, in their confidence levels and consequently in the strength of their performances.

Also, I would just like to rephrase my comment on being Canadian a bit, because I certainly am proud of my country as well. I want Canada to be successful, and I want Canada to have excellent skaters and teams that they can send to competitions. But that's more just my wish for the way I'd like things to be, and has no effect on which teams I actually cheer for. It's just the cherry on top if they happen to be Canadian. Many of our fellow V/M devotees aren't Canadian, and yet V/M is still their favourite team, and they'd do/would fly to competitions if they could. Likewise, I have a set of teams that I love, and if I had the resources would fly to see any of them anywhere. I wouldn't go to a competition nearby if it only had Canadian teams that I don't enjoy. But I get that some others enjoy rooting for all the Canadian teams, and that's cool too.

It really is amazing that VM have this fan base. We had a get together at nationals of VM fans from as far away as Italy and others were going to see them in Sochi. But they are a once in a generation team.
Alex is an expressive skater but Mitch needs to project and hang loose. Acting classes may help.

Hopefully they will skate at Thornhill. Last year they posed for me for a lovely pic after their program.

skatingfan04

It really is amazing that VM have this fan base. We had a get together at nationals of VM fans from as far away as Italy and others were going to see them in Sochi. But they are a once in a generation team.
Alex is an expressive skater but Mitch needs to project and hang loose. Acting classes may help.

Hopefully they will skate at Thornhill. Last year they posed for me for a lovely pic after their program.

Gosh, I hope they keep coming to Thornhill! Seeing them is usually the highlight of the competition for me!

Thanks for keeping it civil, everyone, and engaging in thoughtful debate. As I've said before, it's a refreshing change from other threads on here. :D

I don't mean to derail the conversation (I'm not going to add my two cents to this debate), but I'm really excited about seeing P/I skate in tomorrow night's show!

I remember seeing a picture on Alexandra's Twitter account from last month stating that they were working with Kelly Johnson on a new show program. I really hope they show it off at the COS show. I wonder what kind of program it'll be?

skatingfan04

:D

I apologize if this comes across scattered, because I literally just got home from the show, but I want to get my thoughts down before I forget things.

The show overall was fantastic, but I'll focus on P/I. They skated a knockout program to "I Wanna Be Loved By You," with Alexandra wearing the most gorgeous black dress. And they nailed it. They were relaxed, playful, flirtatious and perfectly suited to the style. Honestly, I was surprised, because playful and flirtatious was not something I expected them to excel at, but it worked SO well. For those of you wanting Mitch to take a more active role in the performance, you'll love this number. I think he definitely found a niche with this style, and Alex was right there with him. They locked eyes at the beginning of the number and never took their eyes off one another again (unless necessary). What a great way to showcase their chemistry. And, of course, their lines were stunning and their elements smooth as ever. The program was a dance, full of footwork and intricate nuances. Honestly, it was such a treat. I'm so glad I saw it! I'll stop gushing now...:rofl:

DE93

I agree with everything skatingfan04 said! :) Loved the dress, expression, lifts - everything. I'll have photos posted as soon as I get to the store to buy a new card reader! :)

ETA - photos https://flic.kr/p/ni45Xt

Last edited:

canadablue

I was lucky enough to see this new number, too, and I also second everything that skatingfan04 said. Very much looking forward to your photos, Daniskates93, thank you!!

It was steamy but classy, mature yet adorable... just perfection. I'm laughing that we just had a conversation here about their expression, because I must say even I was slightly taken aback at how perfectly at home they seemed in this type of number. I've never been a huge fan of the song, but my disappointment lasted only a few seconds because I was immediately captivated. The program contained their straightline and curve lift from this year's FD, and lots of the wonderful in-hold moments from both programs, as well as some of their classic romantic moves from previous programs. Their connection was just stunning, and honestly, I am so proud of them for trying something a little new! They absolutely nailed it. Cute, sexy, very confident but sophisticated. And I should also put in a word about their actual skating, because their ice coverage was insanely good, the program flowed beautifully. They were very warmly received too, which was nice to hear :)

I'll also say a little bit about the group number they were in, choreographed by David Islam. It said "Caribbean" in the program, and then David tweeted that the theme was "Havana Nights". It was supposed to have P/I, G/P, R/H, Lauren Collins/ Danny Seymour, Hannah Whitley/Elliot Graham, Megan Koenig-Croft/Jake Richardson, Ekaterina Fedyushenko/Kaelen Dunker, Priya Ramesh/Brandon Labelle. I *think* what happened is that Danny's new partner, Yasmeen Jong, was the substitute, but she skated with Danny and Lauren skated with Asher. (Kharis was sick, if you haven't already read that elsewhere. I was very disappointed not to see them skate one last time, hope she feels better soon.) All the guys were in simple black, and Alex was wearing her Rumba SD dress. Some of it seemed a bit inspired by their SD, which was fun to see, it was such a lovely program, but that season was so riddled by disaster. Some really fun moments, and G/P and P/I did one side of the rumba pattern together. I think the music was Besame Mucho (?) and definitely Mujer Latina at the end. Man, can Alex Paul move!! And Mitch was great too. Honestly, they sold this number so well, too. The take away from this night was that they absolutely excelled at playful, flirty numbers, to steal some adjectives from skatingfan04. What a great night!!

Last edited:

Emdee

So wonderful to hear the report.
I have to think its nerves that they need to control.

skatingfan04

I was lucky enough to see this new number, too, and I also second everything that skatingfan04 said. Very much looking forward to your photos, Daniskates93, thank you!!

It was steamy but classy, mature yet adorable... just perfection. I'm laughing that we just had a conversation here about their expression, because I must say even I was slightly taken aback at how perfectly at home they seemed in this type of number. I've never been a huge fan of the song, but my disappointment lasted only a few seconds because I was immediately captivated. The program contained their straightline and curve lift from this year's FD, and lots of the wonderful in-hold moments from both programs, as well as some of their classic romantic moves from previous programs. Their connection was just stunning, and honestly, I am so proud of them for trying something a little new! They absolutely nailed it. Cute, sexy, very confident but sophisticated. And I should also put in a word about their actual skating, because their ice coverage was insanely good, the program flowed beautifully. They were very warmly received too, which was nice to hear :)

I'll also say a little bit about the group number they were in, choreographed by David Islam. It said "Caribbean" in the program, and then David tweeted that the theme was "Havana Nights". It was supposed to have P/I, G/P, R/H, Lauren Collins/ Danny Seymour, Hannah Whitley/Elliot Graham, Megan Koenig-Croft/Jake Richardson, Ekaterina Fedyushenko/Kaelen Dunker, Priya Ramesh/Brandon Labelle. I *think* what happened is that Danny's new partner, Yasmeen Jong, was the substitute, but she skated with Danny and Lauren skated with Asher. (Kharis was sick, if you haven't already read that elsewhere. I was very disappointed not to see them skate one last time, hope she feels better soon.) All the guys were in simple black, and Alex was wearing her Rumba SD dress. Some of it seemed a bit inspired by their SD, which was fun to see, it was such a lovely program, but that season was so riddled by disaster. Some really fun moments, and G/P and P/I did one side of the rumba pattern together. I think the music was Besame Mucho (?) and definitely Mujer Latina at the end. Man, can Alex Paul move!! And Mitch was great too. Honestly, they sold this number so well, too. The take away from this night was that they absolutely excelled at playful, flirty numbers, to steal some adjectives from skatingfan04. What a great night!!

Thank you for going into more detail. I was beat last night (it's been a long week at work) and didn't elaborate as much as I wanted to. I couldn't have said any of this better than you did, though! i too am not a fan of the song, but that bothered me for about half a second. Seriously, I think this is a style they should really consider for a FD. Mix something like this with a jazzier piece and a bit of blues, and you've got yourself a heck of a dance.

And thank you, Danielle, for the gorgeous photos. They're perfection, as usual!

As far as I can remember, this is the version of the song they used (thank goodness, because the Marylin Monroe and Betty Boop versions made me cringe).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF-r3VJhMm4

Last edited:

canadablue

Seriously, I think this is a style they should really consider for a FD. Mix something like this with a jazzier piece and a bit of blues, and you've got yourself a heck of a dance.

Agree with this so much. Blues would push them to perform more confidently, while still relying on their connection that focuses on each other more than the crowd, but it would also showcase off all of skating/dancing skills they already have beautifully. And as has been discussed, they shouldn't have been being penalized for the type of programs they've done, but pragmatically, I agree that it can only help with their scores to show they can do something bolder and quite different than what they've done.

And thanks so much for finding the version of the song, that sounds right to me!

Rafter

Clarie, good to see you back...

The one thing I think brings down this team is Mitch. He needs to add some vibrancy to his personality. He is in tough competition with Scott and Andrew and Poirier has a bubbly personality that translates differently onto the ice.

I can see under K&C tutelage this is much improved. Love Alex's dress at Olys. Of course her lines are excellent and she definitely has Tessa's bearing. Would be nice if they can bring more of their own personality.

Interesting comment because I actually feel that Alex is the less expressive of the two. She looks gorgeous but I feel like she only has two expressions - smiling of a slight 'o' face. I actually think Mitch is the more expressive/relaxed partner of the two. Where Mitch needs to improve IMO is his leg line through the foot but it has improved over the last couple of seasons. I thin Alex looks like she's really concentrating at times and I feel like she needs to skate bigger and more aggressively.

On that note, I hope Team P&I have gotten the memo that subtlety and clean lines/skating is not wanted anymore by the ISU/judges in ice dance. They want to see speed, arm flailing, acting, flashy tricks, dramatic music, etc.

lavenderblue

Agree with this so much. Blues would push them to perform more confidently, while still relying on their connection that focuses on each other more than the crowd, but it would also showcase off all of skating/dancing skills they already have beautifully. And as has been discussed, they shouldn't have been being penalized for the type of programs they've done, but pragmatically, I agree that it can only help with their scores to show they can do something bolder and quite different than what they've done.

You know I've been rallying for that style for them for awhile now, but I'm so excited to hear that they demonstrated just how naturally that sort of approach could suit them. Thanks SO much for the detailed reports, canadablue and skatingfan04! And thank you for the photos so far, Danielle -- can't wait to see more! (But I especially can't wait to see the program in action, whenever that might be.)

skatingfan04

Any idea when the GP assignments are being announced? I know they came out around this time last year, but with the extended season I suspect they'll be later this time. Thankfully, we know P/I have 2 assignments, so it will be a less nerve-wracking wait this year. :D

I really hope they get Skate Canada. That event seems like a good luck charm for them!

Sylvia

TBD

canadablue

Thanks so much for your pictures, Danielle, and skatingfan04 for linking them.

A gloriously in-depth interview/article!

http://www.twofortheice.com/lifted-by-success-paul-and-islam-hold-to-foundations/

I just love how much these two care about things like using dance holds and skating as one, no wonder they are so incredible at it! And looks like the new ex was a purposeful experiment, good for them. It sounds like they have exactly the right balance of confidence and knowing they can still improve. It feels like such a long time until next season... I am just so excited for where they are in their career right now.

skatingfan04

Thanks so much for your pictures, Danielle, and skatingfan04 for linking them.

A gloriously in-depth interview/article!

http://www.twofortheice.com/lifted-by-success-paul-and-islam-hold-to-foundations/

I just love how much these two care about things like using dance holds and skating as one, no wonder they are so incredible at it! And looks like the new ex was a purposeful experiment, good for them. It sounds like they have exactly the right balance of confidence and knowing they can still improve. It feels like such a long time until next season... I am so excited for where they are in their career right now.

You took the words out of my mouth yet again! :D

They just sound so good. What a wonderful change from interviews of the past, where they were trying to explain what had gone wrong. They sound so happy and confident, and most of all, motivated. It seems as though the success has really lit their fire, so to speak. They sound like they're just dying to keep competing and improving. These are obviously two very smart people. They don't have a skewed notion of themselves: they know exactly where there priorities lie, what their strengths are, and where they need to improve. I'm also glad that they're not expecing an unrealtic amount from themselves for next season. Moving up the ranks could very well be a gradual process, so it's nice to see them acknowledging it and not setting themselves up for failure. I'm just thrilled for them.

And best of all: new lifts and choreograpic elements!

So much to look forward to from them in the coming season.

clarie

Thanks for posting the article canadablue. Great in depth article and of course, they are my new favorite team aside from V/M if they decide to continue. I'm really hoping they can stay healthy and continue to improve. I do believe they will be on the world podium some day.

skatingfan04

More news!

Looks like P/I are going to be participating in the COC's 2014 Celebration of Excellence next weekend!

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1354569/more-than-200-olympians-paralympians-and-coaches-to-partake-in-2014-celebration-of-excellence

I've provided the link above, but just to paraphrase, it seems to be an event beginning in Ottawa and spanning a number of cities in Alberta which involves many public appearances by Olympic athletes (hospitals, schools, etc), culminating in a gala where the 2014 Canadian Olympic Hall of Fame inductions will take place.

Sounds amazing! I'm thinking we'll get a ton of press/photos from this event. The rest of the Olympic figure skating team is slated to appear as well!

skatingfan04

Juuuuust tweeted by Mitch:

Are they working with Dubreuil/Lauzon again?!

Gosh, I hope so. :D The last time they worked with D/L, they came out with their stunning Casablanca free dance, and a ton of beautiful elements. D/L are very, very good at two things: coming up with unique, awesome lifts (I believe Patrice created many of the lifts that D/L were famous for) and being passionate, engaging performers. P/I could benefit from both of those (though I felt their lifts were stunning this past season, coming up with some new ones never hurts). Besides, working with multiple choreographers sounds like a good way for a young team like P/I who are still developing in many ways to learn. I'm excited!

skatingfan04

Some news:

The initial entry list for the 2014 Thornhill Summer Skate has been posted. As of yet, Paul & Islam are not on the list, but registration is still ongoing, so I'm hoping that they end up attending. The event page can be found here:

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/2014%202015%20SER.html#SUMMER

Also, the ISU announced yesterday that Barrie, Onatrio will be hosting a Senior B event this coming October called the Skate Canada Autumn Classic International. It's part of the ISU's new Challenger Series. As far as I can tell, the event will allow skaters to accumulate ISU points and try to achieve the minimum TES requirements for the season. There's some info in the document posted below:

http://static.isu.org/media/153457/1876-decision-of-the-council-after-2014-congress.pdf

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Nice that it will be in Barrie.

The Challenger Series, described in more detail in this thread is a sub-set of Senior B's that have more stringent requirements for number of participants and judges and number of countries represented for each than regular Senior B's and must have at least three disciplines and be held before the end of the calendar year. Like at all other Senior B's meeting the regular Senior B requirements, TES minimums can be earned there and the Top 5 receive WS ranking points, but CS events are worth more ranking points. In addition, up to the two top scores/skater in these events will be totaled, and the skaters with the top three totals in each discipline will be awarded a prize in Swiss francs.

Emdee

Some news:

The initial entry list for the 2014 Thornhill Summer Skate has been posted. As of yet, Paul & Islam are not on the list, but registration is still ongoing, so I'm hoping that they end up attending. The event page can be found here:

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/2014%202015%20SER.html#SUMMER

Also, the ISU announced yesterday that Barrie, Onatrio will be hosting a Senior B event this coming October called the Skate Canada Autumn Classic International. It's part of the ISU's new Challenger Series. As far as I can tell, the event will allow skaters to accumulate ISU points and try to achieve the minimum TES requirements for the season. There's some info in the document posted below:

http://static.isu.org/media/153457/1876-decision-of-the-council-after-2014-congress.pdf

Good to see Nam and Roman skate. Have seen others there from time to time. I hope Gabby Daleman skates as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information