Anna Pogorilaya - Her future prospects?

alexikeguchi

Anna's skating just gets better and better, and I love her look this year... Her natural hair color is much more flattering IMO, and her dress is so elegant.

FunnyBut

I am so impressed with Anna's SP, it is my favorite of any lady so far this year. There is a new freedom and confidence this year, perhaps it's the result of finally getting that World medal. Scent of a Woman is a great vehicle for her, the violins even perfectly match her long strokes across the ice, and she is saucy to the hilt. She has always been strikingly beautiful, but this year her hair and dress complement her looks rather than distract from it.

She is a standout for the deep edge and lean of the body and effortless power she generates from it. Of course all the top Russian are looking so good and they each have so many strengths, but Anna is my personal favorite.

kwanatic

I really noticed Anna's improvements last year. I loved her SP and I thought her FS was the best of the Russian ladies. She struggled so much during the regular season last year but completely flipped the switch at nationals and rode that wave to a World medal.

I really think losing that gold at Finlandia re-ignited her drive to win. She had the lead there but fell apart in the FS. It was great to see her not only skate well with the lead at COR but go all out and not back off of anything. That's the kind of killer instinct I love to see.

I do prefer Anna over Evgenia at this point. I think Evgenia is awesome but her programs annoy me this season. Anna OTOH has two very strong programs and she's backing it up with great skating. I'm glad she was able to get this win and I hope this boosts her confidence and she continues to skate well.

bardtoob

I really do love Anna's natural mature choreography with powerful athleticism. We feel what we are intended to feel, and it is supported by steps, spins, and jumps that are everything they are supposed to be. They are on edge and go high, far, and fast with great stretch ... And nothing more are we left wanting :)

https://youtu.be/1ednNQgR5EU

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
She's almost there, but realistically there's still lots and lots of little things that need polish. All of the great qualities are there, yes - but so is the sloppiness and throwing away a lot of her lines/movements IMO. Her arms should be more fluid. It's all kind of on the surface for me right now, I'd like to see more richness/finesse to the quality of her movement. Musicality and connection with the music is a totally different skater now, this is where her big improvement is IMO. She's so high maintenance it astounds me. She can be so sloppy one second even doing a basic move, and having people predict her as OGM the next.

She needs to work a bit more on her line and the small details before I'll even put her on the Olympic podium.

She was fab at COR though and I love her programs, I hope she keeps this up!

Last edited:

rhapsody

She's almost there, but realistically there's still lots and lots of little things that need polish. All of the great qualities are there, yes - but so is the sloppiness and throwing away a lot of her lines/movements IMO. Her arms should be more fluid. It's all kind of on the surface for me right now, I'd like to see more richness/finesse to the quality of her movement. Musicality and connection with the music is a totally different skater now, this is where her big improvement is IMO. She's so high maintenance it astounds me. She can be so sloppy one second even doing a basic move, and having people predict her as OGM the next.

She needs to work a bit more on her line and the small details before I'll even put her on the Olympic podium.

You are aware that Adelina Sotnikova is an Olympic champion, right? :rofl::rofl: #Justice4Yuna :mitchell:

Polaris

All of this. Pogorilaya has all of the raw goods, but she needs quite a bit of polish and refinement. Her basic lines are off. She needs some fundamental ballet training, and I don't have alot of hope for her in this area as polish doesn't seem to be one of the things emphasized by the Russian coaches. None of the senior Russian ladies have it.

Cachoo

I have to say both Rad and Anna have caught my eye this year. I love some of their choreo....Rad's short and Anna's long. Wouldn't it be a treat to attend Russian Nationals?

Ka3sha

I have to say both Rad and Anna have caught my eye this year. I love some of their choreo....Rad's short and Anna's long. Wouldn't it be a treat to attend Russian Nationals?
I like both Anna's programs this season, perfect choices for her :glamor:
And I agree that Radio's short is great and her free also has potential, imo

Wouldn't it be a treat to attend Russian Nationals?
RusNats in Olimpic season will be a bloodbath! And finally a big event in St. Petersburg after 2010 :cheer2:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Resurrecting this thread because I can't find a recent one that is strictly a cheer thread for Anna.

I am so impressed with her this year! She proved that her success at the Euro and worlds in 2016 was no fluke. I hope she gives her injured knee some rest and wins better than just a bronze at the Euro and worlds in 2017.

Plusdinfo

Ditto, but my interpretation of her scores is that the judges are not as impressed as some of us are. Or maybe they are but they're not willing to reward her...

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ditto, but my interpretation of her scores is that the judges are not as impressed as some of us are. Or maybe they are but they're not willing to reward her...

She still needs the polish, and needs to improve her spins to get to the very top. She has the potential to become a Carolinaesq skater who is elegant and can still land difficult jumps consistently. However, when you see what her competition is doing, she deserves better marks. They are ignoring the flaws of her competitors but not being that lenient with her. A clean Anna should not be beaten by Maria Sot with one mistake. JMO

DreamSkates

After a bronze medal at Worlds, the confidence has helped her this year. Hopefully she'll gain the finesse needed to be at the top of the podium.

Bellanca

I expect Anna to do quite well at Euros and worlds now that the pressure-packed Russian nationals are over, which can be extremely stressful and nerve-racking. It should be helpful to now have this competion behind her. I think Anna will be fine and I feel the judges will give her a fair shake as the season progresses.

ETA: Anna needs clean, polished, solid skates, period. If she does this, the scores will be there, as she already has a striking presence on the ice that the international judges have noticed. At home, politics provide plenty of :judge: :huh: :confused: which does not necessarily square with the big picture.

Last edited:

Meoima

She still needs the polish, and needs to improve her spins to get to the very top. She has the potential to become a Carolinaesq skater who is elegant and can still land difficult jumps consistently. However, when you see what her competition is doing, she deserves better marks. They are ignoring the flaws of her competitors but not being that lenient with her. A clean Anna should not be beaten by Maria Sot with one mistake. JMO
I am actually quite worried for Anna next season now that CSKA is pushing Maria. I have nothing against Maria but she has lesser skating skills and less attacks. Anna should be above her.

Bellanca

I am actually quite worried for Anna next season now that CSKA is pushing Maria. I have nothing against Maria but she has lesser skating skills and less attacks. Anna should be above her.
Anna is still considered top three in the (age-eligible) Russian ladies’ discipline (despite Sotskova's progress) at least for the remaining competitions left this season.

Elena and Liza are (currently) the skaters who are struggling to maintain a top three/four spot. Granted, this could all very well change in the Olympic season -- true, but for now, and to clarify, I do think Anna can/will maintain her spot. And, as I have mentioned, get a fair shake from the judges -- if she continues to skate and compete the way she is capable of skating and competing.

However, a known skater, a skater currently off the map, or a skater on the periphery could always upset (for the lack of a better description) the apple-cart.

Such depth in Russia, which is a good thing! IMHO. Many countries would love to have this ‘dilemma.’

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

If Maria doesn't do well internationally, I don't see the politics helping her. Anna has already proven herself. However, next year is anyone's guess.

Meoima

If Maria doesn't do well internationally, I don't see the politics helping her. Anna has already proven herself. However, next year is anyone's guess.
I'd say Anna should deliver well at European and WC. But even with that there's still next season to come. And Russian has so many good girls. So it's too tough. I am just mad that even Anna has been consistently robbed at both international and domestic events so many times.

Bellanca

I'd say Anna should deliver well at European and WC. But even with that there's still next season to come. And Russian has so many good girls. So it's too tough.
True.

The inevitable thing is that a few skaters will have their hearts broken, and that is always the hard part of this sport. It will be fierce, as so many good skaters i.e. Anna, Maria, Elena, Liza, etc. could (and should) go, but some of these wonderful and talented skaters will obviously not. :fragile: :(

And, unless some crazy implosion happens, Evgenia will be there. So, two spots to fill, assuming they hold three spots, *cough, cough* very high odds, don’t ya think?! ;)

These ladies must go for broke, pull out all the stops and see where the chips fall.

Too early to be hand-wringing and pearl-clutching, IMHO, but, we all do! Just check out the P&C dance thread. :p

I don't care who else they pick.....I wan Julia back!
Same here. That would be great to see her in the mix, again.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck

Agree with this. I guess the one thing is that we don't know how the results would have turned out if Anna hadn't hurt her knee before Nationals.

Where she still managed to skate well/clean, the issue of her injury is not that significant a factor, but presumably it did have some affect on her performance. My hunch is that if Anna was fully healthy at Nationals and skated like she has all season, she would have beaten Maria, probably just by a smaller margin than she has internationally. If that was the case, the issue becomes the same one of some skaters getting inflated scores at Nationals while others do not. For Anna her inflation at Nationals has never been significant, but this season the same can be said of Radinova who previously did receive big inflation at Nationals.

So basically it seems the Fed is kind of indifferent to Pogo, they will reward her if she skates well but not hold her up if she doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information