Anna Pogorilaya - Her future prospects?

Meoima

Agree with this. I guess the one thing is that we don't know how the results would have turned out if Anna hadn't hurt her knee before Nationals.

Where she still managed to skate well/clean, the issue of her injury is not that significant a factor, but presumably it did have some affect on her performance. My hunch is that if Anna was fully healthy at Nationals and skated like she has all season, she would have beaten Maria, probably just by a smaller margin than she has internationally. If that was the case, the issue becomes the same one of some skaters getting inflated scores at Nationals while others do not. For Anna her inflation at Nationals has never been significant, but this season the same can be said of Radinova who previously did receive big inflation at Nationals.

So basically it seems the Fed is kind of indifferent to Pogo, they will reward her if she skates well but not hold her up if she doesn't.
Not to mention we should not forget that Anna is also from Sambo 70, same club as Evegnia and Alina Zagitova. While Maria now belongs to CSKA and she's their No1 now. Russian fed would choose maximum 2 girls from Sambo 70 at most. They have to keep the quota for CSKA. I guess this is why Anna wanted to move to CSKA 2 seasons ago but they rejected her. Russian fed will only care for Eteri's students by the Olympic. Even if Anna skates well next season, CSKA might still push her down.

Marco

Are Turskaya and Zagitova age eligible next season for Olympics and Worlds?

Another medal at Euros and Worlds would really help Anna's case for next season. All the wonderbabies from Sot to Lip to Tuk to Rad to Med have not won (or yet to win) back to back world medals and get dropped like a stone the moment they don't perform at Nationals. Med has a very good shot at another title and virtually locked for a medal at coming Worlds so she is quite secure for PC Olympics. Being the last Worlds before the Olympics though, I expect each Fed will play politics to full force. It's not so simple to have Anna medal again together with Med even if her skating deserves it.

Ka3sha

I don't believe that the Fed will give all three spots to one school (Sambo-70) and especially to one coach (Tutberidze)

Marco

The Olympic team could very well be Medvedeva, Zagitova, and Tsurskaya.

That idea had certainly crossed my mind but I would be surprised if Russia would send 2 out of 3 skaters to Olympics without them haven't even been to Worlds. Lip was 1 out of 2 sent to Sochi without having been to Worlds, but she was wildly successful in juniors for two seasons in a row before the Sochi season and aced the Sochi season. There can only be one junior world champion between Tsurskaya and Zagitova (even if it wasn't going to be someone else) in 3 months time. Assuming Medvedeva wins both of next season's GPF and Euros, I guess this Olympic team can only happen if Anna Pog does not win another world medal, AND both of Zagitova and Tsurskaya medal at senior GPF next season ahead of Anna Pog and Maria Sot and also beat them decisively at Nationals.

Ka3sha

I know that TTW-thread is mostly about Tsareva, Adoniev and Pogo but thought that it would be nice to bump Anna's own thread up :)

Her skates at Nationals
SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITuPWOlunlU
FP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAKUljOEgU

Europeans:
SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDNIHU2nPvo
FP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kShiHWM3Bms

Her 'Rise Like a Phoenix' EX at Art on Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X053yCNPfms

EX at Tarasova's birthday show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2Nq8fZWQs

It has been a good season for her so far and I just hope that she will do her best in Helsinki and medal there:cheer2:

annie_mg

She still needs the polish, and needs to improve her spins to get to the very top. She has the potential to become a Carolinaesq skater who is elegant and can still land difficult jumps consistently. However, when you see what her competition is doing, she deserves better marks. They are ignoring the flaws of her competitors but not being that lenient with her. A clean Anna should not be beaten by Maria Sot with one mistake. JMO

Funny you mention Kostner. To everyone saying that Pogo is sloppy, and I totally agree, I thought Carolina was very sloppy at the beginning of her career (and couldn't stand watching her for that reason). I was SO impressed with her when she started controlling her arm mouvements and she hasn't stopped improving since. We all know what an artist she's become.

I'm hoping for the same for Pogo.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Funny you mention Kostner. To everyone saying that Pogo is sloppy, and I totally agree, I thought Carolina was very sloppy at the beginning of her career (and couldn't stand watching her for that reason). I was SO impressed with her when she started controlling her arm mouvements and she hasn't stopped improving since. We all know what an artist she's become.

I'm hoping for the same for Pogo.

Carolina was coltish for a very long time, and inconsistent too. After she reduced the jump difficulty her artistry really improved. I don't think Anna has the luxury of reducing her jump difficulty but she may still be able to develop artistically.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Thanks for the links, @Ka3sha! You're amazing.

I'm slightly nervous for Pogo at Worlds. She's had a great season, but now with Miyahara out, anything less than silver is going to be a bit disappointing (unless Osmond goes 100% clean).

If she can snag a medal, she's set up really well for next season and will put her in the driver's seat for an Olympic berth.

I'm hoping next season she can build on the sass and personality in the short program and go with something sexy/flirty. An for the LP, I really want to see her embrace her inner Butyrskaya and do something like Otonal. It would be a great opportunity for her to extend her long line, clean up some of the frenetic arms she has going on, but still unleash her inner :drama:. The potential is there to exhibit more control in her skating and allow her to challenge Med on PCS.

Last edited:

morqet

rising like a phoenix
I'm hoping next season she can build on the sass and personality in the short program and go with something sexy/flirty. An for the LP, I really want to see her embrace her inner Butyrakaya and do something like Otonal. It would be a great opportunity for her to extend her long line, clean up some of the frenetic arms she has going on, but still unleash her inner :drama:. I think it would be a good opportunity to exhibit more control in her skating and allow her to challenge Med on PCS.

Thanks to @Ka3sha in the :gallopin1-thread, I ended up spending last night watching novice/junior Pogo programs. She definitely has the ability there to grow artistically. Her FS from 2012/13 was gorgeous, she flew through the steps with a ton of musicality. Her last two free skates have had quite heavy music, and although she's more than capable of carrying it off, I'd like to see her try something a bit lighter and more flowing.

Ka3sha

I'm slightly nervous for Pogo at Worlds. She's had a great season, but now with Miyahara out, anything less than silver is going to be a bit disappointing (unless Osmond goes 100% clean).
If she can snag a medal, she's set up really well for next season and will put her in the driver's seat for an Olympic berth.
Same here, I'm also nervous for her before Worlds but I was nervous before Nationals and Europeans as well, and everything ended up quite well there ( I actually still cannot believe that she lost bronze to Sotskova at Nats :drama:)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Count me in also as someone nervous for Anna at worlds. She has had a very good season so far and I hope that trend continues.

Same here, I'm also nervous for her before Worlds but I was nervous before Nationals and Europeans as well, and everything ended up quite well there ( I actually still cannot believe that she lost bronze to Sotskova at Nats :drama:)

r Anna.

annie_mg

Carolina was coltish for a very long time, and inconsistent too. After she reduced the jump difficulty her artistry really improved. I don't think Anna has the luxury of reducing her jump difficulty but she may still be able to develop artistically.
True, it's a different era. Kostner's 3-3 was good enough, now they are all doing at least one 3-3!

Plusdinfo

Any word on Anna's physical health?

In a positive light: I don't have any of her short programs from this season downloaded even though I have watched them. Which one was her best for, in your opinion?

Today is a new day :)

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Is it just me or with Anna, I always expect splats. Something about her technique is so off to me, I'm always amazed she doesn't fall.

I feel so bad for her, poor thing, that was so rough, I hope she's feeling better. (((Anna)))

clairecloutier

According to this http://www.fsrussia.ru/news/2919-evgeniya-medvedeva-stala-dvukratnoj-chempionkoj-mira.html she suffered from a last minute injury (Плюс травмы, которые преследовали фигуристку в последнее время) Does anybody know more?

If she did have an injury, then I feel bad for her, having to skate through pain and enduring that horror yesterday. It's like an awful repeat of Worlds 2015 for her. :( Well, I hope she can come back from this, and that the Russian Fed is not unkind to her. She is a fighter, for sure. I didn't like her skating when she first started as a senior, but I've become a fan this past year. She has lovely speed on the ice and is really starting to show genuine musicality in her programs, as well as improved line. Really, everything about her skating has improved so much since 2014. I hope this Worlds doesn't disturb the upward track she's been on.

text_skate

If she did have an injury, then I feel bad for her, having to skate through pain and enduring that horror yesterday. It's like an awful repeat of Worlds 2015 for her. :( Well, I hope she can come back from this, and that the Russian Fed is not unkind to her. She is a fighter, for sure. I didn't like her skating when she first started as a senior, but I've become a fan this past year. She has lovely speed on the ice and is really starting to show genuine musicality in her programs, as well as improved line. Really, everything about her skating has improved so much since 2014. I hope this Worlds doesn't disturb the upward track she's been on.

I don't know about the fed, but TAT and Grishin were yesterday very respectful. That much I got with my limited knowledge of Russian. TAT even applauded – I think for being brave, going on and putting up a fight. Hopefully s.o. with good knowledge of Russian can confirm.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
So gutted for Anna, she came such a long way as a competitor this season, it's such a shame she had her one bad skate of the season at Worlds. Really unfortunate timing.

I mean, if you think about it, Kaetlyn Osmond had a similarly poor FS at 4CCs, but because everyone wasn't there, she was still 4th and it's not as tarnishing to her reputation. Had Anna had this FS at Euros, she would have been 4th or maybe 5th at worst.

I am just worried about what happens to her in Russia. Will they give her a fair chance to make future World and Olympic teams if she can skate well and earn it? Or will she be put on some kind of blacklist for this?

I know they forgave Sotnikova for all her meltdowns, but she was also the original wonder baby, a federation favorite, and was competing for World and Olympic spots when the field wasn't quite as strong. Then with someone like Kovtun it's different because the Russian men aren't at the top of the sport like the Russian ladies.

To me, Anna still has an upside to someone like Sotskova or Radionova, because if she skates well she is a legitimate medal contender on any stage. Her placing 13th at Worlds with an uncharacteristically poor FS isn't really embarrassing when the other girl on the team skated about her usual and finished 8th. When there are 3 spots, I feel like it's okay to put a wildcard on the team. Not sure if the Federation will feel the same way though.

I do wonder, though, if Anna would ever consider skating for Ukraine after next season if she still wants to skate and things don't go her way. I know she has also gone to Israel a few times and am not sure if that would be an option.

Sometimes I feel with the emotional skaters who for whatever reason aren't always stable in competition, if competing for a less competitive federation is better. I think of skaters like Carolina and Denis Ten and all the wonderful performances they've given us. Had they been skating for Russia, a lot of those would probably have never happened. So while it's painful to see the lows, for the fans it's just nice to see a great skater have the opportunity to skate.

I really wonder what Anna must be thinking now. I feel horribly for all the Russian ladies who have been thrown into the scrap heap (so to speak) while they are still teenagers. I know the competition makes the girls better, but with someone like Anna I don't doubt the work ethic or motivation. You don't have a season like she's had up until Worlds without that.

I really hope she continues to skate and is given fair treatment moving forward.

text_skate

She has at least one good friend in IOC president Bach, who is bf with president of Russia, who may intervene in her favour. This scenario is keeping my hopes up :cool:

(according to her instagram)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information