Shibutanis thread 3: Evolution

VGThuy

Well, one positive thing about them getting Rostelecom Cup is that if they lose to B/S there they have a whole month before their second event at Skate America. If they win over B/S, well that's just a big statement for them for the rest of the season AND it'll be another GP title that they've collected out of six in the series.

chapis

Oh wow, did they say anything interesting in the live video?

I only understood that they were lamenting for the lost camera, Maia still hopes to find it and Alex put a face like :huh:¨no girl, the camera will never appear¨ :lol:. And I think they said something else about the vlogs but I did not understand.

DreamsofBliss

I only understood that they were lamenting for the lost camera, Maia still hopes to find it and Alex put a face like :huh:¨no girl, the camera will never appear¨ :lol:. And I think they said something else about the vlogs but I did not understand.
oooh Okay. I am still lamenting the lost camera, too. :wuzrobbed

chapis

I hope they go to Nepela, Nebelhorn or Finlandia. I am stressed that they have to present their programs precisely in Russia.

San José (Kristi Y. event) will be 3 sep
Nepela 21-23 sep
Nebelhorn 27-30 sep
Finlandia 6-8 oct

Russia 20-22 oct

clairecloutier

I would like to see them do a CS event ... Then again, I wanted them to do a CS event last year, and they didn't, and everything worked out fine. So I trust they will make a good decision. (But I'd still like to see them at Nepela. :))

DreamsofBliss

This season is a little different and I really hope they do a CS event. While technically the season turned out well for them last year, they could have been on top of the World Standings had they done one last year. Plus, debuting in Russia just doesn't seem like the best idea. Maybe they will go to Salt Lake like DW did? It's a friendly environment to get a good score and leaves them with plenty of time to implement feedback. Otherwise, I guess Nepela is the best bet.

VGThuy

I just don't want their first event to be Rostelecom Cup. I'd feel better if they introduce their programs earlier and get feedback and watch the videos and make changes if the scores and/or audience reaction isn't what they expected like Fix You at Nepela.

chapis

Yes, but home generous scores could give them a wrong perspective too. I think they need go to Europe.

Last edited:

DreamsofBliss

The caller in SLC last year was REALLY strict and that is what is most important at that stage in the season. But I see your point.

VGThuy

Here's a YouTube link to Latin Ballroom dancer Jenna Johnson short clips that she posted on Instagram of her working with the Shibs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCtGcLs2ctQ

You can hear some music in the background but I don't know if it's their music or not.

I love that position she's in during her and Alex's stationary lift. I wonder if Maia can replicate it.

Last edited:

chapis

Here's a YouTube link to Latin Ballroom dancer Jenna Johnson short clips that she posted on Instagram of her working with the Shibs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCtGcLs2ctQ

You can hear some music in the background but I don't know if it's their music or not.

I love that position she's in during her and Alex's stationary lift. I wonder if Maia can replicate it.

Jenna is speciallist in latin ballroom, and she is only 23 yo :eek: . I wonder if they are working in lifts with her too. By the way, I was watching her videos and the poor girl has no hips, so I was thinking that Maia has advantage in that aspect . It is a little awkward to see girls without hips trying to move their hips cough almost all female skaters cough :slinkaway.

eta. OMG! This picture :swoon: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVD29oIgePH/?taken-by=maiashibutani

VGThuy

Jenna is speciallist in latin ballroom, and she is only 23 yo :eek: . I wonder if they are working in lifts with her too. By the way, I was watching her videos and the poor girl has no hips, so I was thinking that Maia has advantage in that aspect . It is a little awkward to see girls without hips trying to move their hips cough almost all female skaters cough :slinkaway.

eta. OMG! This picture :swoon: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVD29oIgePH/?taken-by=maiashibutani

Goddamn, she's so beautiful. I think she's the most beautiful woman in skating right now.

chapis

@LynnRutherford talks about the high expectations she has for the @ShibSibs on this week's #IceTalk.
https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/872894559801548805 (Ice dance 10:30)

Talking about the top 3 american teams, she thinks that Maia and Alex will be the clear number 1 american team in the olympic season :cheer2:, and when the guy says that it will depend of the programs, she answered something like (14:43): You can pick the best pieces of music for you in the world, and you can have the most romantic, fabulous connection in the world….but If you mess up your twizzles…, if you fall, you won´t win. :rofl:

Last edited:

VGThuy

Interesting quote from Rutherford about falling on twizzles, romantic connection, and music chosen. It's been clear for a while that H/D are real fan favorites on this forum and elsewhere (like TSL) and many are rooting for the Shibs to falter just so H/D can take over as the number 1 American team. People can say what they want I still find the lack of reaction to the Shibs being the only Americans to win a medal at worlds telling especially when their placement secured 3 spots. More people were upset about H/D (I would also say C/B except I don't think they are close to being the fan faves that H/D are). I'm also a fan of H/D, but it's nice to hear someone is talking so highly of the Shibs.

clairecloutier

The Shibs don't get much love on FSU (especially from international fans), but my impression is they have quite a bit of support from Twitter fans. Who are a somewhat different group from FSU fans.

I love H/D, but Lynn is right that in the Oly season, especially, it's all about execution.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Yep, and they will hit. They should definitely be one of the teams in the team event, even if it gets split.

However. Lynn also predicted that Gracie would be the 2017 World Champion. And right before US Nationals, she predicted that Gracie would win.

I agree with her that the Shibs should be in the team event, but let's not get ahead here. ;)

And BTW Paradise isn't as bad as before to me now, I listened to it recently and like it more because I know the Shibs are skating to it.

chapis

The Shibs don't get much love on FSU (especially from international fans), but my impression is they have quite a bit of support from Twitter fans. Who are a somewhat different group from FSU fans.

I love H/D, but Lynn is right that in the Oly season, especially, it's all about execution.

And youtube :), their SD of worlds 2017 has more views than H/D and C/B even when Maia and Alex were 5th place in the SD.
And I could mention instagram but their accounts have so many adorable pictures than even the most bitter person would follow them.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Bellanca

The best way to get around a developing fan-induced Shib and H&D rivalry is to admire and root for both teams. This ice dance combo would be my 1-2 U.S.A. punch (in a perfect ice dance world) going into this season, with H&B in the third spot and eyeing the next quad. I would celebrate for weeks if the Shibs won it all this upcoming season. For weeks! Aah, who am I kidding?! I'd celebrate forever! :encore:

VGThuy

Maia has a cameo appearance eating $1 pizza in NYC with Arden Cho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzRxAcDlu8Y

I've eaten at almost all of those places, except Raclette, but now I have to. Pio Pio is so amazing. Best roasted chicken I've ever had. I'm totally craving Ippudo now. I only eat Halal Guys when it's like 2am and I'm not quite sober.

chapis

I've eaten at almost all of those places, except Raclette, but now I have to. Pio Pio is so amazing. Best roasted chicken I've ever had. I'm totally craving Ippudo now. I only eat Halal Guys when it's like 2am and I'm not quite sober.

All that food looks delicious :eek:. Except the pizza :huh:, no wonder it costs 1 dollar.

gk_891

The dishes at Pio Pio look interesting, especially the chicken. I love Peruvian food. Do you know by chance know if they have other Chinese Peruvian dishes besides lomo soltado?

I've never tried Halal Guys before although they do have a location in Toronto. Maybe one day I'll get to try them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information