Shibutanis thread 3: Evolution

princeton123

There is usually a really emotionally compelling reason for the opening ceremonies flag bearer selection. Someone who has overcome a disease or major life-challenge beyond the sport.

Or they've won multiple medals before.

VGThuy

Or they've won multiple medals before.

This inspired me to look up the number of titles won by the top U.S. skaters and as of right now, it looks like the Shibs with Ashley Wagner and Chock/Bates following have the most titles (counting Senior Bs, GP events, and ISU championships in the senior level) and probably medal count (I could be wrong about that) out of all the current top U.S. skaters going into Pyeongchang. Things can change this coming season of course AND they still have to qualify for the Olympics.

Still, they haven't won any World titles and "only" won one ISU championship title, so they're far from having a Davis/White level of dominance and D/W didn't carry the flag. Kwan won 3 world titles from 1998-2001 and a slew of other titles/medals following the 1998 Olympics and preceding the 2002 games and was probably one of the more famous athletes at SLC and she didn't carry the flag either. I actually think the flag carriers for the U.S. are athletes who have some sort of notoriety with a great story even if they aren't the most successful medal wise (like surviving adversity or competing at like 5 Olympics). I think those sorts of emotionally compelling reasons may be what appeals to the team captains who vote for the flag bearer. Unless you're like an out-of-this-world undisputed legend in his own time like Michael Phelps.

Last edited:

SCeline

Fingers crossed for a TUMI+Shibsibs special edition luggage collaboration!

Alex's instagram story has them hanging out with TUMI's Senior Creative Directors

VGThuy

I'm at a Latin club in the city right now and am observing how real people dance and not ballroom dancers and I sort of wish the Shibs went more contemporary with their choice just because they're both young and fresher face and I think a more youthful sound with a heavy beat would really work for them.

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

I sure hope someone convinces them that emotionally they need to go
Deeper not wider. The choreographer thing, it's fun but Maia and Alex haven't opened up enough

DreamsofBliss

If they are actually skating to the song Paradise, that song is more upbeat than their last two FDs. While Coldplay might seem samey, I actually think it is pretty different. Plus, they might be skating to more or different music and only used this as a theme, and thematically as a trilogy, I am loving the idea. We know too little to make a judgment.

chapis

They announced their music!!! :biggrinbo
First time I listen to the song and I liked it, I find very logical the choice after the comments of the last two years, it is olympic season!. And we already know that they like to arrange the music, probably they will modify it a little before and during the season :cheer:

sap5

Wow! Wasn't expecting an announcement so early! I'm glad they know their choices though. Better that than fumbling around trying to figure them out forever.

VGThuy

Now that I had a bit more time to process it and read a great argument in favor of the choice on Goldenskate about the trilogy and how personal the themes of programs are to the Shibs, I do think if they interject a nice melody with "Paradise", it could work. Despite me not being the biggest Coldplay fan, I always held on to the idea of Fumie Suguri skating to an instrumental version of "In My Place" and "Yellow" and maybe I can realize that through the Shibs, if they choose to add more pieces to "Paradise". Those of you who know Coldplay's music better can tell me if there are other pieces you'd prefer for them to use, if any.

What should we name this trilogy? The Peter Tchernyshev Sessions? :lol:

Spun Silver

What I think is interesting about this choice is that Maia will be the star. The song is all about "her." That will be different from their usual equal-sibling roles. It could be a breakout for them in another way. It's a risk and, if they pull it off, a big step forward for Maia and for them as a team. Without being in love with the music, I'm excited to see what they're going to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information