Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
Ive missed you guys :)
Been clearing out my stuff lately and realised what I miss and need is a quad or a smaller pallet for purse that has earthy rosy, golden shades. I am looking into some stuff, but what I have in stores here is not cutting it so I will have to order online.
I love Dior eye shadows and their small pallets are ideal size but Its tricky finding something that has mattes and satin finish.
I am thinking about this one (somewhat bigger than I wanted but good colours)
https://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/stila-cosmetics-matte-n-metal-eye-shadow-palette.html

or frankly and of these looks stunning:
http://eu.feelunique.com/p/Burberry-Eyes-Complete-Eye-Palette-5-4g

I am shopping within EU bc I cannot be bothered to deal with customs as well.

Also, a shout out the the best foundation I have ever tried. Makeup atelier Paris waterproof foundation. This thing is a beast. You do not need a filter on a selfie when using this thing. Thats enough said. Now I just need to buy white version because the lightest shade is just a bit too dark for my mozzarella face.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I use the UD for when I do cat eye liner and it works well for that purpose.

I need new foundation. Right now I'm using L'Oreal which is fine but I don't love. Makeup Forever HD was a bit too light and made my skin too oily. Estée Lauder feels too heavy and was too pinky. Suggestions?

The longer I use the YSL Touché Eclat the happier I am. It's glow and color and evening out imperfections and goes on nicely. Second best is Dior Star, which lasts longer on a really long day but is a tiny bit thick. Both are expensive but this is one product where I really think you get what you pay for.

Neither product cakes in wrinkles but that's not your problem. :p

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
For everyday use, I apply Dior Star with a damp cosmetic sponge which thins it a bit. If I'm going for super full coverage, I use a foundation brush.

skategal

Bunny mama
Ive missed you guys :)
Been clearing out my stuff lately and realised what I miss and need is a quad or a smaller pallet for purse that has earthy rosy, golden shades. I am looking into some stuff, but what I have in stores here is not cutting it so I will have to order online.
I love Dior eye shadows and their small pallets are ideal size but Its tricky finding something that has mattes and satin finish.
I am thinking about this one (somewhat bigger than I wanted but good colours)
https://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/stila-cosmetics-matte-n-metal-eye-shadow-palette.html

or frankly and of these looks stunning:
http://eu.feelunique.com/p/Burberry-Eyes-Complete-Eye-Palette-5-4g

I am shopping within EU bc I cannot be bothered to deal with customs as well.

Also, a shout out the the best foundation I have ever tried. Makeup atelier Paris waterproof foundation. This thing is a beast. You do not need a filter on a selfie when using this thing. Thats enough said. Now I just need to buy white version because the lightest shade is just a bit too dark for my mozzarella face.

Have you looked at the Smashbox Covershot eye palettes yet?

http://m.sephora.com/product/P19267373?icid2=skugrid&skuId=1877844

I love the size of them and the pigmentation is great. I've swatched and drooled over them all but am trying to resist purchasing because I don't need another warm toned palette.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I got: Bite lipstick in Cava, a Sephora lipstick with glitter in it, Sephora lengthening and volumizing mascara, Sephora brow liner, and an Urbsn Decay liquid eyeliner in purple. I forgot the actual name. And I have a cat on my lap so I can't check.

eta: @IceAlisa I almost got the Sake, but then I tried the Cava and I had to have it. But the Sake is gorgeous, too.

Last edited:

oleada

Thanks all, for the foundation advice. I tried the Smashbox one at Sephora (as well as others and quite liked it). Any concealer recommendations, particularly for undereye? I get slightly less than the ideal amount of sleep and it always shows. I didn't get a time to test some out because I had Mr. Oleada with me and we'd already gone shoe shopping and there are limits to his patience. :shuffle: I'm making a big order online because Sephora didn't have my color in the foundation.

I think I will also get the Milk Cosmetics Lip + Cheek Stain in Coral as it seems like a nice natural blush for the summer.

skategal

Bunny mama
Thanks all, for the foundation advice. I tried the Smashbox one at Sephora (as well as others and quite liked it). Any concealer recommendations, particularly for undereye? I get slightly less than the ideal amount of sleep and it always shows. I didn't get a time to test some out because I had Mr. Oleada with me and we'd already gone shoe shopping and there are limits to his patience. :shuffle: I'm making a big order online because Sephora didn't have my color in the foundation.

I think I will also get the Milk Cosmetics Lip + Cheek Stain in Coral as it seems like a nice natural blush for the summer.

I had the Smashbox foundation once and really liked it too. I just couldn't quite get a perfect colour match for me so I didn't repurchase.

As for concealer, I am also in the market for a new one. Currently, Tarte Shape Tape is getting excellent reviews online. I have never tried it but plan to next time I go to Sephora.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Shape Tape is nothing short of revolutionary. Thanks to @my little pony for telling me about it. @skategal it's not available in Sephora. Try the Tarte website or Ulta.
I've been using Benefit Stay Don't Stray eye shadow primer for years, like it a lot.

Used my Rouge discount to buy my mom a bottle of Tom Ford Neroli Portofino for Mother's Day. She loved the sample I brought her from the store--smells incredible on her.

iloveemoticons

I don't know if this has already been posted about, but I recently discovered a skincare line called The Ordinary and I'm really, really impressed by it so far. This line is made by a London based company called Deciem, and their focus is on making affordable, no frills skincare that is based on effective ingredients (like retinol and retinoid, hyaluronic acid, niacinimide, peptides, AHA, rose hip oil, etc). Their products are labeled by the name of the active ingredient itself and don't have any vague or misleading advertising. The best part is that their serums are super affordable, all of their serums are under $15. They're able to offer these serums at such affordable prices because one, they don't charge a big premium for a luxury brand name, but also because they don't add extra things (like various oils or essences) into the formulations. Each product only has the active ingredient(s) that is in the name.

I'm currently using their serum called "the Buffet" and I love it so far. It has multiple peptide complexes, amino acids, and hyaluronic acid complexes. I've also read a lot of great things about their Advanced Retinoid 2%, that it's gentle and not irritating, but haven't tried that.

oleada

That sounds super interesting! ^^

I ended up going back to Sephora and totally changing my mind on what I wanted. So I ended up deciding I didn't like the Smashbox and the Nars wasn't quite right, so I had one of the saleswomen try the Makeup Forever again on me and found a very good shade so I got that instead. Plus more Tarte blush and the Diorshow Eyeshadow. I will have to look into this Shape Tape....

altai_rose

I got these from the Sephora VIB sale.
1) Laura Mercier translucent loose setting powder - I love a matte look (sorry, no dewy nonsense for me!) that minimizes pores, and this is it!
2) Tatcha camellia cleansing oil - super expensive for a cleanser but the DHC oil I'm currently using is too strong for me
3) Caudalie resveratrol lift soft cream - I use it as a night cream, and it's so lovely. My pores clog really easily, and this is one of the few light products that has great ingredients without clogging my pores.
4) Drunk elephant C Firma - going to try it out!

clairecloutier

I don't know if this has already been posted about, but I recently discovered a skincare line called The Ordinary and I'm really, really impressed by it so far. This line is made by a London based company called Deciem, and their focus is on making affordable, no frills skincare that is based on effective ingredients (like retinol and retinoid, hyaluronic acid, niacinimide, peptides, AHA, rose hip oil, etc). Their products are labeled by the name of the active ingredient itself and don't have any vague or misleading advertising. The best part is that their serums are super affordable, all of their serums are under $15. They're able to offer these serums at such affordable prices because one, they don't charge a big premium for a luxury brand name, but also because they don't add extra things (like various oils or essences) into the formulations. Each product only has the active ingredient(s) that is in the name.

I'm currently using their serum called "the Buffet" and I love it so far. It has multiple peptide complexes, amino acids, and hyaluronic acid complexes. I've also read a lot of great things about their Advanced Retinoid 2%, that it's gentle and not irritating, but haven't tried that.

Thanks for the recommendation!! I just ordered their Hylamide line SubQ Anti-Age serum ... it's more expensive than the serums you mention above, but still far cheaper than other top-shelf serums I've looked at (but never actually bought). Wow, their prices are incredible!! Also ordered one of their facial oils.

altai_rose

they don't add extra things (like various oils or essences) into the formulations. Each product only has the active ingredient(s) that is in the name.
This is actually the part I find potentially problematic about The Ordinary. Sometimes the "extra things" are detrimental or superfluous, but other times, they improve the quality of the product by counteracting irritation, allowing our skin to tolerate higher concentrations of the active ingredient, or providing antioxidants. For example, my current retinoid and AHA (a "sold in derm office only" type of product) is expensive but is formulated together with niacinamide, squalene, ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and anti-oxidants so that I've had minimal irritation even in the beginning. Plus, I personally prefer to use fewer products that are well-formulated and with multiple useful ingredients, than to use several serums with separate ingredients.

Also, the "trying too hard to be sciency" flavor of their website is a major turn-off for me, so I'm a bit biased. 'The Buffet' sounds very nice, though, and has plenty of nice ingredients! :) Although I prefer the heavy-hitters like retinoids, acids, and vitamin C. Oh, and the most important, sunscreen every single day!

Last edited:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
T. Any concealer recommendations, particularly for undereye? I get slightly less than the ideal amount of sleep and it always shows.

The only thing that actually covers my dark circles are it cosmetics bye bye undereye. I don't like that it is tacky and 'heavy' though, but I think that is the only way you can get full coverage. I use some Tarte setting powder on top. I have heard good things about the NYX dark circles concealers, and it's only $6-ish, its tacky too. I haven't tried it though.

I recently got this recommended, Tony Moly dark eye corrector. I think it works over time? I ordered it, I will let you know what I think of it.

iloveemoticons

@clairecloutier Yw! I was looking at that subQ serum too, I'd be interested to know how you like it.

@altai_rose It definitely depends on individual preferences. Your derm office product sounds great. I'm thinking of many retail skincare products I've tried that are too vague (like calling something a "Deep Tissue Repair Cream" without going into any detail about how it works) and are expensive without having most of the ingredients your product has. I think it's refreshing that this company focuses on putting proven active ingredients and concentrations up front, to help people understand what they're buying. And the price point is pretty mind boggling--I've used Skinceuticals moisturizers that are comparable in terms of ingredients but are like 3 or 4 times more expensive :eek:

Aceon6

For those in North America, CVS now carries Vinylux polish. I got two nice spring colors, Wisteria Haze, a nice periwinkle purple, and Aqua Instance, a mid-turquoise. To prevent bleeding, I put a thin layer of Romantique on first. The aqua lasted about 8 days and came off easily with no residue. I've got Wisteria on now.

quartz

scratching at the light
I still can't go an hour without chipping my nail polish. I even go to the bathroom before I do them so I won't have to fuss around with the zipper on my jeans. :shuffle:

Anemone

I do ok with my polish not chipping - as long as I don't go to work. There is something about the way I type or my work keyboard or something, that my polish invariably ends up chipping at the ends. I've tried everything I can think of - longer nails, shorter nails, double coats of top coat (which means taking forever for my nails to dry), just putting top coat on the ends/edges/underneath, etc. etc.etc. Still chips. The only thing I haven't tried is gel polish. I have so many bottles of regular OPI, that tossing them in favour of gel would just be such a waste. So I just do my nails frequently - as in, every 1-3 days. I usually just do a single coat, for deep colours that might stain, I'll do a quick-dry base coat and then a single coat of colour. A lighter, more translucent type of colour (like Rose-y Future) I can get away with for probably 2-3 days; darker colours usually only 1, 2 if I get really lucky.

quartz

scratching at the light
My college job isn't too bad, but my bookstore job is ridiculously rough on my nails and hands in general. And then when I'm home, there's dishes, housework, yard work, etc.... I won't have nice hands unless I retire and hire a housecleaner. :D

skategal

Bunny mama
I can get 4 days out of Sally Hansen Miracle gel nail polish. It's a two step process (nail colour + UV top coat) but you don't need a lighting system to use it.

It's been a game changer for me. Before finding this, the longest I could get without chipping was 24 hours.

My college job isn't too bad, but my bookstore job is ridiculously rough on my nails and hands in general. And then when I'm home, there's dishes, housework, yard work, etc.... I won't have nice hands unless I retire and hire a housecleaner. :D

Retail is hell on nails :blah:

hanca

Values her privacy
I do ok with my polish not chipping - as long as I don't go to work. There is something about the way I type or my work keyboard or something, that my polish invariably ends up chipping at the ends. I've tried everything I can think of - longer nails, shorter nails, double coats of top coat (which means taking forever for my nails to dry), just putting top coat on the ends/edges/underneath, etc. etc.etc. Still chips. The only thing I haven't tried is gel polish. I have so many bottles of regular OPI, that tossing them in favour of gel would just be such a waste. So I just do my nails frequently - as in, every 1-3 days. I usually just do a single coat, for deep colours that might stain, I'll do a quick-dry base coat and then a single coat of colour. A lighter, more translucent type of colour (like Rose-y Future) I can get away with for probably 2-3 days; darker colours usually only 1, 2 if I get really lucky.
Nails every 1-3 days? I admire your commitment. I think I would rather find alternative solution or be without. What about the nails you stick on, wouldn't they last longer?

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Finding a base coat that really works for me, and wrapping it around the tips and on the underside of the nails really helps as does remembering to use top coat on the edge.

I used to do my nails 2-3 times a week, now its just 1-2. Though I admit that after 5 days I'm bored and want to change it lol.

oh and my manis started lasting longer after I started taking biotin? I think my nails being stronger helps with my the polish lasting longer.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I can get 4 days out of Sally Hansen Miracle gel nail polish. It's a two step process (nail colour + UV top coat) but you don't need a lighting system to use it.

It's been a game changer for me. Before finding this, the longest I could get without chipping was 24 hours.

I was going to say the same thing. The Miracle Gel Polish is nothing short of amazing. I can get 3-4 days without any chips, and if I'm careful, my nails will still look good after about a week.

Aceon6

I have some Miracle Gel as well as the Vinylux. I'm very fond of the iridescent purple!!!

Hindernisse

I need new foundation. Right now I'm using L'Oreal which is fine but I don't love. Makeup Forever HD was a bit too light and made my skin too oily. Estée Lauder feels too heavy and was too pinky. Suggestions?

Armani ones (depending on your skin type) are the best, but they are also expensive. That is why I am sticking to my Dior Nude BB cream if I like to have some coverage.

Any concealer recommendations, particularly for undereye?

Shu Uemura point cealer. But I am not sure if it's available in the US.

ALSO - glamour puss advice, please? Favorite eyes shadow primer.

I use Shu Uemura point cealer both as a concealer for under-eye area and as an eyes shadow primer and it works perfectly.

Veronika

gold dust woman
Buying perfume online without testing it has been...interesting. I don't have a full Sephora in my town now, just the JCPenney version without the perfume section. So testing stuff out was a bit prohibitive, I reviewed the scent descriptions and went with that. I love fresh florals and fruity scents, and I don't love musky or powdery orientals.

So I ordered a Tocca sampler and I thought I would love Stella. But it turns out that it's my least favorite of the 4 in the sampler...Giulietta is my winner so far. :)

http://www.sephora.com/uptown-girls-fragrance-set-P416572

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information