Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

myhoneyhoney

I would suggest doing what Aceon6 suggested with the Jergens glow. Have someone "paint" it on your lines only.

I know bodybuilders use tanning lotions and sprays that wash off at the end of the day. May try one those products?

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I have no suggestions about tan lines, but I wanted to give a shout out to two awesome products. The first is a Sephora brand mascara called lashcraft length + volume. I think it was $12.50, and it's amazing. It does exactly what the name says.

The next is urban decay razor sharp liquid eyeliner. Don't fear it! It's so easy to put on. It does take a few seconds to dry, though. I'm using retrograde (a purple) and I want to go get more.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Thanks ladies!
I'm trying the Jergens.

That's a safe bet. I use it on winter-white legs and it works gradually and nicely.

I so wish they'd build a Sephora in Israel. I'm sitting in a new nail salon I found, waiting for pedicure, and it's obvious there's a market here for good makeup.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Here's the latest on my mascara sampler. I'm on the Blinc Mascara Amplified. The brush is regular shaped and quite soft. The product goes on very subtly to color each lash with zero clumps. So far, no rub off. While I still think that the MUFE has been my favorite, the Blinc may be a better daytime look.

FWIW, I seem to have developed a sensitivity to black/brown mascara. My beloved Clinique High Impact no longer agrees with me. I probably should have seen this coming as I have a huge sensitivity to any shadow or liner with red in the base. I'm bummed as my hazel/turquoise eyes really pop with purple shadow and black/brown mascara.

skategal

Bunny mama
Thanks for the heads up. I can't wear anything with a red base in it either.....

I'm glad you are liking the Blinc.

I used to wear the regular Blinc one for years and loved it.

I only gave up because it got really hard to find.

clairecloutier

A while back, @iloveemoticons mentioned the Deciem line of skincare products. I decided to try a few of these products, thought I'd share my impressions.

So far I've tried 4 products. Deciem has several different lines, each with its own products, so there's a lot to experiment with.

Hylamide SubQ Anti-Age serum This is the most expensive thing I've bought so far, at $38. I've been using it for several weeks now, and like it. What's nice about this serum is it comes in liquid format, with a dropper. I find that 2 large drops are sufficient to cover my face. So even though it's only a 1-oz bottle, I think it'll last me for several months. Not so bad, as an investment. I think the liquid format spreads a lot more easily than a cream. As to the effects, all I can say is I feel like my skin is indeed looking better. Obviously it's only a serum and it's not going to suddenly erase my fine lines, etc., but I do think it's helping. I give it a thumbs-up.

The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% This serum is supposed to deliver 2% retinoid, and that's all. At just $9.80, I figured why not give it a try. Like the Hylamide SubQ, it's liquid format, so again, it spreads easily and you don't have to use much of it. All I can say, having used it, I don't see any reason so far to go back to the drugstore retinol/retinoid treatments I've tried, which cost at least $10 more. So far, I've seen no ill effects from using 2 different serums.

The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil This is a nice facial oil, if you like to use facial oils. Again, it comes with a dropper, so it's easier to dispense than the Aveda oil I had been using (which doesn't have a dropper). And at $9.80, it's about $10 less than the Aveda oil. It also spreads better than the Aveda.

The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA Deciem seems to be more about serums than moisturizers. This is the only moisturizer cream product I've found so far on their site. It seems fine. I would characterize it as a light moisturizer, good for daytime use, but probably not as thick as you'd like for a nighttime moisturizer (if you have dry skin like me, that is). The only thing I'm not sure about is the form factor, so to speak. It comes in a small tube, only 1 oz, and that's going to go quickly. It's very cheap at only $5.80, but I feel like I'll be going through so many tubes of it, which seems a bit wasteful. I wish they would make it in a bigger container (just keep the same per-ounce price).

There's a few other products I want to try on the Deciem site--their Vitamin C Suspension serum and one of their new foundations. But right now they're out of stock with those.

PDilemma

Here's the latest on my mascara sampler. I'm on the Blinc Mascara Amplified. The brush is regular shaped and quite soft. The product goes on very subtly to color each lash with zero clumps. So far, no rub off. While I still think that the MUFE has been my favorite, the Blinc may be a better daytime look..

Forgive my laziness of not going back in the thread. Are you trying waterproof mascaras? I am looking for one that does not smudge in ten minutes because of my watery allergy eyes. I've been on a quest lately. I got Buxom's waterproof and it can make most of a day. But, of course, smeared all over about the time we were going out weekend before last and I had to redo everything. A woman at Sephora recommended Too Faced Better Than Sex waterproof. That was a disaster. Smeared and smudged within five minutes of putting it on. Kind of looked like I just smeared mascara around my eye area with a cotton ball rather than applying it to my lashes.

Did you use the MUFE waterproof? The reviews at Sephora's site are extremely mixed between "instantly smudges" and "OMG never comes off". So I am not sure I want to try it.

ETA: I'm also wanting to try a lash primer. Anyone have recommendations? I'm leaning toward Clinique's based on reviews.

A woman at Sephora recommended Too Faced Better Than Sex waterproof. That was a disaster. Smeared and smudged within five minutes of putting it on. Kind of looked like I just smeared mascara around my eye area with a cotton ball rather than applying it to my lashes.

I've found the same thing with that mascara. Once it's completely dry, it stays on well, but I find it really hard to get to where it's dry without it getting everywhere. So I'm back to my tried and true Lancome defincils waterproof mascara. I did get a sample of Benefit's They're Real mascara which I love, but the sample isn't the waterproof version. I'll probably try that next.

skategal

Bunny mama
Forgive my laziness of not going back in the thread. Are you trying waterproof mascaras? I am looking for one that does not smudge in ten minutes because of my watery allergy eyes. I've been on a quest lately. I got Buxom's waterproof and it can make most of a day. But, of course, smeared all over about the time we were going out weekend before last and I had to redo everything. A woman at Sephora recommended Too Faced Better Than Sex waterproof. That was a disaster. Smeared and smudged within five minutes of putting it on. Kind of looked like I just smeared mascara around my eye area with a cotton ball rather than applying it to my lashes.

Too Faced Better than sex mascara (both regular and waterproof) is notoriously bad. :yikes:

I have the same watery allergy eyes as you and my go to mascaras are from the drugstore:

1. Maybelline The Rocket waterproof

2. L'Oreal Lash Paradise waterproof (a new one on the market that is a dupe for Better than Sex but actually stays on your eyes)

If you want to purchase one at Sephora (ie. you have a gift certificate or want the reward points), Tarte Lights Camera Splashes is good. It is waterproof also.

All of these last on my eyes all day and don't budge. :)

Jenny

From the Bloc
2. L'Oreal Lash Paradise waterproof (a new one on the market that is a dupe for Better than Sex but actually stays on your eyes)

I just picked this up wandering around a drug store one day, and I'm really liking it. Not very thickening, but it does a good job of lengthening and fans out eyelashes with the brush style. And of course it's a fraction of the price of the one I was most recently using by Guerlain, which is fabulous but has the world's worst packaging - as you close it, some mascara inevitably squishes out, and it's really, really hard to get off the other items in your makeup bag and bathroom counter. I have to take eye makeup remover to it and everything else every time I use it.

re smudging - one of my eyes tends to water in the outside corner, but it's never been an issue with mascara. It will affect any shadow though, so I've never gone for the looks that require definition on the outer corners. I do find that a little bit of face powder around the eyes goes a long way to keeping everything in place.

Veronika

gold dust woman
I love TF's Better than Sex mascara...it's one of my holy grail mascaras. However, I have dry eyes so I have never had a mascara smudge on me. I have only ever had mascaras flaking be an issue :)

Mascara and foundation seem to be the 2 products that have the most variables when it comes to each person's needs and expectations for performance.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@PDilemma The MUFE I have is Excessive Lash. While I don't have watery eyes, I tend to rub my eyes more than I should. I never had a problem with it coming off after it was dry. It's fairly easy to get off with a makeup wipe, but doesn't seem to budge when I get my face wet. I don't understand the reviews either.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I really like Clinique's lash power mascara. It isn't waterproof, but it stays put all day (and I have watery, allergy eyes too). I have trouble with mascara running, but this one is fab.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
My favorite go to is Benefit They're Real. The problem is, it's hard to remove with anything other than Clinique Take the Day Off balm. But as long as I have that, I am good and the lashes are massive yet well defined and separated.

oleada

My holy grail mascara is Dior Diorshow Iconic Overcurl. It's waterproof and my lashes look amazing - long and thick. I used to love They're Real until I tried this and I prefer it now.

@clairecloutier, thanks for your reviews. I ordered some Deciem The Ordinary products this weekend (including the Rose Hip Seed Oil) since a friend and my sister are raving about them. I'm looking forward to trying them.

I actually fell down a deep Reddit/blogger hole about Asian beauty products and ended up ordering a bunch on Amazon. My wallet is not happy with me. I'm wearing some of this Skinfood Strawberry mask as I type. Oh, and I was looking for a headband to replace my old terrycloth one that I wore while washing my face/applying make up and ended up buy this which I thought might appeal to some of the cat lovers on FSU :cat::lol:

Veronika

gold dust woman
My favorite go to is Benefit They're Real. The problem is, it's hard to remove with anything other than Clinique Take the Day Off balm. But as long as I have that, I am good and the lashes are massive yet well defined and separated.

Eys, it's really hard to remove. For me, it was clumpy and combining that with the hard to remove factor--not my favorite.

I am a fan of using 2 different mascaras for my 2-3 coats of mascara, since mixing up 2 types of wands can help separate your lashes. So I will start with a volumizing mascara and finish with a lengthening formula.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Oh, and I was looking for a headband to replace my old terrycloth one that I wore while washing my face/applying make up and ended up buy this which I thought might appeal to some of the cat lovers on FSU :cat::lol:

:lol: if you put your hair up in a high ponytail you'll look like Ariana Grande!

I had a rather successful business meeting downtown yesterday, so I rewarded myself with little bag of goodies from the Charlotte Tilbury counter at Holt Renfrew :)

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
oh just popping in to say I got 3 liquid lipsticks from Colourpop at a promo (its over now), one was free. $12 for all 3!

and it is my first Colourpop, I am SO impressed. I got Wolfie (a glossy one, but it's not sticky and not sheer like lipgloss), Kween ;) (a metallic one) and Lyin' King (satin). They are all so pretty.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
My holy grail mascara is Dior Diorshow Iconic Overcurl. It's waterproof and my lashes look amazing - long and thick. I used to love They're Real until I tried this and I prefer it now.

Oooh, yes! I like the Iconic Overcurl as well. I haven't used it lately - I might pick some up next time I need mascara.
I used They're Real for awhile but I hated how difficult it was to remove.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
@Aceon6 MUFE aqua smokey lash waterproif is my fav at the moment. I also use waterproof for same reasons as you and am also sensitive... i live maybelline full n soft waterproof but they dont sell it in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information