All Thing PBS

Artemis@BC

Re: The Paradise ... ok, so is the world of early-20th-century department stores so fascinating that we need two series about it? LOL

I'll watch, though, and hope that it's better than Mr Selfridge (which I did not like). I'm hoping that the combination of Bill Gallagher (who created Lark Rise to Candleford, which I did love) and Émile Zola will be a winner.

Glide2

Re: The Paradise ... ok, so is the world of early-20th-century department stores so fascinating that we need two series about it? LOL

I'll watch, though, and hope that it's better than Mr Selfridge (which I did not like). I'm hoping that the combination of Bill Gallagher (who created Lark Rise to Candleford, which I did love) and Émile Zola will be a winner.

I watched and enjoyed the first episode. It has an Upstairs/Downstairs feel. Nice costumes and sets and English garden/ grand house setting. Some of the gung-ho We'll-make-this-business-succeed story was a bit much. I think they took credit for inventing CREDIT. At least the soap opera story lines were tied up neatly with a bow by the end of the episode, so not too believable, but okay entertainment.

dardar1126

Twitter:

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 1h
ICYMI: "The Paradise," Part 1 is now available to view online, for a limited time - http://to.pbs.org/17NBnei

I like it, too. Couldn't help comparing it to Mr. Selfridge, and there are obvious similarities. But, overall, I prefer The Paradise...Jeremy Piven is a bit OTT for my tastes.

Artemis@BC

I didn't get past episode 1 of Mr Selfridge, mostly because Piven was just so unwatchable in that role. I watched the first 5-10 minutes of The Paradise before switching back to Battle of the Blades, enough to tell me that I'll probably like it. Looking forward to catching up with it tonight.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
If you read the Daily Mail and don't want to be spoiled for Downton Abbey's US broadcasts, well, don't read the Daily Mail. Spoilers galore in headlines :(

Artemis@BC

I caught up with The Paradise last night. And thought it was pretty good.

I like period pieces a lot, and usually enjoy comparing the social mores of ___ time & place with our own. But the hardest ones I have identifying with or wrapping my head around are those related to class entitlement. I can feel genuine sympathy for a woman who finds herself in a loveless (or abusive) marriage but because of the times has few options. But while false accusation is bad enough, having a man lose his livelihood just so the lady can protect her "honour" and reputation ... well, there's nothing honorable in that. If it hadn't resolved by the end of the episode, I would have been severely ticked off.

jlai

Question everything
I've just figured out that Mrs. Brookmire was the girl in Lark Rise. :eek:

Artemis@BC

^ Yeah it took me a while to recognize her -- because it was such a very un-Laura-like character. Impressive range.

And you recognized "Minnie" from Lark Rise too, right? She's pretty much exactly the same though.

merrywidow

Completely enjoyed Handel's "Giulio Cesar". One of the most amusing operas I've ever watched. Unexpected.

flutzilla1

Forever Ogling Ingo
The Paradise was ok but I didn't like it as much as Mr. Selfridge. I thought it was way too predictable. I can see 1,000 miles away that Denise and Sam are going to be endgame, yawn.

Artemis@BC

The Paradise was ok but I didn't like it as much as Mr. Selfridge. I thought it was way too predictable. I can see 1,000 miles away that Denise and Sam are going to be endgame, yawn.

I can't remember a single love story in a TV show (or movie), ever, that I didn't see coming a mile away. And about 75% of non-romance plotlines. So if I dismissed every show because of "predictability" ... I'd pretty much not ever watch anything ever.

But of course everyone has different tastes. I personally didn't like Mr Selfridge because Piven was so OTT, unbearably in-your-face, and completely unconvincing for the time period. And almost all the other characters were 2-dimensional. Yawn indeed. With Paradise I find the issues such as class and gender roles are dealt with in a much more interesting way. It's no masterpiece (!), but definitely enough to keep me going.

dardar1126

Last edited:

dardar1126

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304402104579147992592827078

'Masterpiece' Memoirist
By JOANNE KAUFMAN

Oct. 21, 2013 4:19 p.m. ET
New York

Excerpt:

The waiter at the posh midtown restaurant unceremoniously plunked down a pot of Twinings and insistently began pouring. In vain, Rebecca Eaton tried stopping him; her drink needed time to brew. "Of all people to be challenged about tea," she murmured good-naturedly.

Of course, as the longtime executive producer of PBS's "Masterpiece" (formerly "Masterpiece Theatre") and "Mystery!" Ms. Eaton is thoroughly steeped in all things English—from Big Ben to "Little Dorrit," from Jane Austen to Jane Eyre to Jane Marple to Jane Tennison.

Viewers like you may be interested to learn that Ms. Eaton, 65, the author of the new memoir "Making Masterpiece," has occasionally disrespected underwriters. Further, she spurned the chance to broadcast a film about a working-class Irishman (played by some guy named Daniel Day-Lewis ) who could control only, er, his left foot. And—grab the smelling salts—she said "no thanks" when the hugely successful "Downton Abbey" was first offered to her.

dardar1126

Twitter: a couple of more return dates...

Jace Lacob ‏@televisionary 34m
PBS return dates: #DowntonAbbey on January 5; #Sherlock on January 19; #CalltheMidwife and #MrSelfridge on March 30. Ta, @masterpiecepbs!

EDIT:

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 9m
#SherlockPBS Season 3 behind-the-scenes photos, broadcast countdown, videos & more - http://to.pbs.org/1h8qHLk

EDIT2:

Mark Gatiss ‏@Markgatiss 8m
You may have noticed there's a US airdate for #Sherlock but we DO NOT have one yet for the UK. I don't know how much plainer I can be.

EDIT3:

Radio Times ‏@RadioTimes 23m
Sherlock series 3 US air date revealed and BBC confirm it'll air in the UK first http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-10-23/sherlock-series-3-us-air-date-revealed …

EDIT4:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...60e344-3bf5-11e3-b0e7-716179a2c2c7_story.html

Other returning U.K. dramas include “Call the Midwife” and “Mr. Selfridge” starring Jeremy Piven, both debuting Sunday, March 30, and “The Bletchley Circle” on April 13.

The busy Benedict Cumberbatch, whose current movies include “The Fifth Estate” and “12 Years a Slave,” is part of another PBS program, “Hawking,” a Jan. 29 documentary about British physicist Stephen Hawking as told by him. Cumberbatch, who played Hawking in a 2004 TV movie, is a friend of the scientist and appears in the film, Hoppe said.

A lineup of science and nature programming for April includes a three-part special with the working title “Inside Animal Minds,” debuting April 9 on “Nova.”

More midseason programs scheduled to air on public TV stations:

— “Salinger” (Jan. 21), an “American Masters” documentary about the late “The Catcher in the Rye” author J.D. Salinger that includes interviews with his friends and colleagues.

— “Barrymore” (Jan. 31), a “Great Performances” presentation of Christopher Plummer’s stage performance as John Barrymore.

— “The Amish: Shunned” (Feb. 4), an “American Experience” documentary that follows seven former members of the Amish community as they adjust to a new life.

— “Story of the Jews” (March 25), a five-part series with historian and author Simon Schama examining the Jewish experience from ancient times to now.

— “Muscle Shoals” (April 21), an “Independent Lens” look at the fertile musical Alabama breeding ground, with the perspectives from Mick Jagger, Etta James, Clarence Carter and others.

EDIT5: link to full PBS press release...

http://www.downtonabbeyaddicts.com/2013/10/pbs-announces-winter-and-spring.html#.UmhhA7Butfc.twitter

PBS Announces Winter/Spring Season

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
I think she said at some point to her friend that she didn't want to be with him, she wanted to BE him. :) She and Sam are endgame, mark my words. ;)

Doesn't look like it so far, but I must say the whole saga is beginning to grate on me, and it's only the third episode. If Ms Glendenning and her dad are busier with their lives, they won't spend their days wondering about clothes or whether Moray will return her love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information