2024 US Figure Skating Championships

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I got this response from the arena about whether we can bring clear bags. This doesn't sound very official....

Guest Service has said they will be a bit lenient on the bag policy since this event is being handled differently. Try to bring a normal sized purse and it will be subject to search and it does not have to be clear.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I got that same response today so I think they have an automatic message they're sending out to fans. :rolleyes:

I sent a contact email directly to the arena asking specifically about their bag policy and you can tell that I've worked in customer service for a long time because I sucked up to them in the WORST way while being super sweet in composing my email to them, LOL :lol: (I will let you guys know if I hear anything back.)

Carolla5501

At this point if I was going I would be prepared to comply with the posted info... if it turns out to be more lenient that's fine but...

Have any of you considered Scott Vests... you can get them with about 100 pockets

https://www.scottevest.com/pages/best-travel-vest?channel=cpc&source=google&matchtype=p&kw=travel vests&adid=662112006208&addisttype=g&tw_source=google&tw_adid=662112006208&tw_campaign=16721093687&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAkp6tBhB5EiwANTCx1EzIbJUNEINou907CV6YPWvMYyJ4MBupxr9TE9lVIhmS2-yHXwjskxoC3AkQAvD_BwE

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
At this point if I was going I would be prepared to comply with the posted info... if it turns out to be more lenient that's fine but...

Have any of you considered Scott Vests... you can get them with about 100 pockets

https://www.scottevest.com/pages/best-travel-vest?channel=cpc&source=google&matchtype=p&kw=travel vests&adid=662112006208&addisttype=g&tw_source=google&tw_adid=662112006208&tw_campaign=16721093687&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAkp6tBhB5EiwANTCx1EzIbJUNEINou907CV6YPWvMYyJ4MBupxr9TE9lVIhmS2-yHXwjskxoC3AkQAvD_BwE

I think I’ll pass on buying a $200 vest lol.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There are cheaper products that do the same thing. Cargo pants, various vests with pockets, etc.

I agree with the approach of obeying the posted rules, but being prepared if it turns out they loosen up (which they almost always do once they figure out the audience is not rowdy).

Also, I bring a reusable grocery bag as they scrunch up small and I can use that if they stop requiring clear bags but normally what I do is bring it to the arena in my clear bag and then wear all my cold weather clothing (heavy coat over sweater/hoodie, gloves, hat, scarf). Once I get to my seat, I use the grocery bag to hold whatever clothing I don't want to wear just yet. Plus anything else I decide is better in there than in my pockets or clear bag.

sk9tingfan

There are cheaper products that do the same thing. Cargo pants, various vests with pockets, etc.

I agree with the approach of obeying the posted rules, but being prepared if it turns out they loosen up (which they almost always do once they figure out the audience is not rowdy).

Also, I bring a reusable grocery bag as they scrunch up small and I can use that if they stop requiring clear bags but normally what I do is bring it to the arena in my clear bag and then wear all my cold weather clothing (heavy coat over sweater/hoodie, gloves, hat, scarf). Once I get to my seat, I use the grocery bag to hold whatever clothing I don't want to wear just yet. Plus anything else I decide is better in there than in my pockets or clear bag.
I remember years ago when a member used her portable oxygen housing to store/hide items. :cold:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

I have a bunch of fold up tote bags that I've gotten free from random things. I put one of those in my pocket to use once I get inside usually.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Also, I bring a reusable grocery bag as they scrunch up small and I can use that if they stop requiring clear bags but normally what I do is bring it to the arena in my clear bag
The bag requirement here is 8x5x1. I don't know if you can squeeze another bag in there, even if it folds small.

Some good news--it's too early to be reliable, but for now, the forecast isn't bad. Lots of rain, but temps well above freezing.

ice coverage

Flash sale: 20% off -- I think maybe only for single-session tickets?
I don't know how long the flash sale will last. The code seemed to be working a few minutes ago.
The code is in this Instagram post from Jan 16 (yesterday).

Get 20% off tickets by following these simple steps:​
1️⃣ Visit ticketmaster.com/promo/wpc0c5​
2️⃣ Select any session​
3️⃣ Use passcode LOCSKATE to unlock the offer​
4️⃣ Choose your seats and check out​

... In 2018 they did a one time Memorial Fund cocktail hour fundraiser for $75/ticket, which got you a drink created and made in front of you by Brian Boitano, so you were also guaranteed a bit of one on one chit chat with him (but not so much that would make an introvert uncomfortable). It was also perfectly time in between two events. I thought that was really well done and garnered a lot of participation across a good cross section of fans.

And ... the same Instagram post is promoting that on Jan 23 (Tue), Brian Boitano "takes center stage behind the bar."
(Not at the arena, and I have not checked about proximity of these locations to the arena.)

📅 Date: January 23, 2024​
⏰ Time: 4-5 p.m. at The Guild House, 5:30-6:30 p.m. at Lincoln Social​

(4-5 pm is during Junior Men SP; 5:30-6:30 pm is during Junior RD -- but maybe some Boitano fans nonetheless will be interested. 🤷‍♀️
And maybe some local residents who happen to come across Boitano at these appearances even will be inspired to buy tickets to Nats. :))

ETA, new information from USFS event page:​

Press Conference Schedule

Press conferences will be live streamed on the U.S. Figure Skating YouTube Channel. Recordings will also be available on YouTube after each press conference ends.

Press conferences following championship short program events will start approximately 15 minutes after the event concludes. Press conferences following free skates will begin approximately 15 minutes after awards.

Last edited:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
The bag requirement here is 8x5x1. I don't know if you can squeeze another bag in there, even if it folds small.
I have one that has a carabiner, so I would just clip it to a zipper or belt loop. It’s not a bag when folded.

I won’t be at Nationals but I bought a carabiner blanket for Boston Worlds. When you see a woman with a bunch of stuff carabinered to her person, that would be me. :lol:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Well, I must be super good at my customer service skills or the folks at the arena are just freaking awesome. :D I got a PHONE CALL from Karen at Nationwide Arena today (I was at work so she left me a VM) and she gave me an update about the bag policy. This is what all she said in the message: They are going to be more lax on the bag policy for this event (all bags will still subject to search) and she suggested bringing something no bigger than a tote bag or an average size purse. The rule stating no outside food or beverage is still in play. You can bring a small blanket with you and stuff like binoculars are okay as well. She said to check their A-Z guide on the website for a full list of their totally restricted items. She reiterated at the end of the VM that they are going to be more lax for this event due to the time frame that guests are going to be in the building. I am going to call her back during the day tomorrow to thank her profusely for answering all my questions (I might ask her about the clear bags too if I happen to get her on the phone) and thank them for helping out the fans who are going to be there for most of the week. How about that guys?! :biggrinbo

Iceblink

Well, I must be super good at my customer service skills or the folks at the arena are just freaking awesome. :D I got a PHONE CALL from Karen at Nationwide Arena today (I was at work so she left me a VM) and she gave me an update about the bag policy. This is what all she said in the message: They are going to be more lax on the bag policy for this event (all bags will still subject to search) and she suggested bringing something no bigger than a tote bag or an average size purse. The rule stating no outside food or beverage is still in play. You can bring a small blanket with you and stuff like binoculars are okay as well. She said to check their A-Z guide on the website for a full list of their totally restricted items. She reiterated at the end of the VM that they are going to be more lax for this event due to the time frame that guests are going to be in the building. I am going to call her back during the day tomorrow to thank her profusely for answering all my questions (I might ask her about the clear bags too if I happen to get her on the phone) and thank them for helping out the fans who are going to be there for most of the week. How about that guys?! :biggrinbo
This is fabulous news! I'm planning to use a smallish clear bag since it has the added advantage of being waterproof and next week looks rainy, but it's a relief to know it should be fine to bring in.
Also a relief to know the weather is going to be relatively mild, it's been a frozen wasteland in Nashville this week.

Cinzano

I’ve been watching hotels closer to the Nationwide Arena because I’d like to move closer figuring some cancellations will occur. But they all still seem to be full or almost full with much higher rates than they normally charge. I can get a good rate at the Graduate hotel which is about .6 of a mile walk. Is anyone familiar with this hotel? And would the walk be safe?

Makes me think tickets have sold quite well for this event…not like San Jose. But who knows? Hotels may be holding our for the last minute to try and gouge event attendees too.
Columbus resident here! I don't have any personal experience with staying at that hotel in particular, but it is relatively new so it should be nice. The location is in the heart of the Short North which is filled with bars, restaurants, etc. The walk to the arena should be fine and that area will be quite busy especially on Friday and Saturday evening.

Happy to answer any other Columbus questions that you may have!

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Also a relief to know the weather is going to be relatively mild, it's been a frozen wasteland in Nashville this week.
Yeah, here, too (I live near Columbus) and it's supposed to snow the next couple of days, but so far, the forecast is calling for temps in the 40s during the day, possibly even 50, on Wednesday and beyond.

This being Ohio, you can't count on that, but my personal meteorologist has assured me that so far, it looks good for a warmer week.

I was planning to wear my parka of many pockets, but it would be way too much for this forecast so :cheer2: for the change in bag policy (although I will probably still bring my tiny bag the first day, just in case).

ETA: A walkthrough of the arena during a hockey game.

I wanted to see if people normally wear coats when there is ice (doesn't appear so), but it also gives you a good idea of the space and food offerings in the arena (IF they are open).

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I’ve been watching hotels closer to the Nationwide Arena because I’d like to move closer figuring some cancellations will occur. But they all still seem to be full or almost full with much higher rates than they normally charge. I can get a good rate at the Graduate hotel which is about .6 of a mile walk. Is anyone familiar with this hotel? And would the walk be safe?

Makes me think tickets have sold quite well for this event…not like San Jose. But who knows? Hotels may be holding our for the last minute to try and gouge event attendees too.
Just saw this thanks to the post above. I worked about 100 feet away from here for quite a few years, and lived just up the street. This is in the heart of the Short North, which is where all the 'action' happens in Columbus anyways. The walk is completely safe. All of the restaurants you want to go to are within a very short walk of that hotel (Marcellas, Bakersfield, Press Grill, The Rossi). Lincoln Social is a newish (less than 5 years, I think) top-floor bar that was really nice.

Jeni's Ice Cream is now nationally (and maybe even world) famous, but the flagship location is steps away.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Jeni's Ice Cream is now nationally (and maybe even world) famous, but the flagship location is steps away.

Jeni’s…made famous by Nancy Pelosi!

YukiNieve

Columbus resident here! I don't have any personal experience with staying at that hotel in particular, but it is relatively new so it should be nice. The location is in the heart of the Short North which is filled with bars, restaurants, etc. The walk to the arena should be fine and that area will be quite busy especially on Friday and Saturday evening.

Are there good places to buy small stuffed toys to throw near the Hilton or the arena?

paskatefan

Are there any supermarkets within walking distance of the arena?

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I was hoping for some snow since here in Charlotte it's SO cold but we still haven't had any snow. Boo!

I am staying at the Canopy by Hilton. Is anyone else gonna be there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information