Bruno Massot called Savchenko “A tyrant” and said he has PTSD after working with her.

Perky Shae Lynn

I don’t think it’s hard to understand why Bruno didn’t leave.

1. He made an agreement to do this for 4 years.

2. Lots of people implicated financially and professionally if he left.

3. Investment from the German Federation may have been in his mind.

4. He knew there was an end date. People can get through a lot of garbage when they know when it will end.

5. Would you want to be on the receiving end of breaking an agreement with Aliona?

In any case, it’s a shame that he feels the Olympic gold medal wasn’t worth it.
This is all fair. However, Aljona was known to be very difficult. Harsh. Rude. Demanding. Unfriendly. All that. He wasn't going into the situation blindly. She didn't "change" and they didn't "grow apart". This was a step that was taken willingly and knowingly.

canbelto

I find it really disingenuous to compare the plight of poor adult big bloke Bruno who was dragged against his will to unimaginable career success that he could only have dreamed of (by being forced to work hard and shouted at) to the plight of people truly trapped in abusive relationships they can't get out of.

By the same measure, why didn't Aly or Simone leave gymnastics? No one was forcing them. But they went to Marta's camp year after year and both have spoken about how traumatized they were from Larry Nassar.
Just because Bruno is a big guy doesn't mean that the same forces weren't at hand that made him feel he had to stay.

just tuned in

Sports federations, in cooperation with legal entities and NGOs, need to determine what is allowable and what is not. To some, being yelled at is harassment, and for others, perhaps it provides motivation necessary to become a champion.

People have different "pain" thresholds. Bruno seems rather tender, if you ask me. That is not Aljona's fault.

Xela M

By the same measure, why didn't Aly or Simone leave gymnastics? No one was forcing them. But they went to Marta's camp year after year and both have spoken about how traumatized they were from Larry Nassar.
Just because Bruno is a big guy doesn't mean that the same forces weren't at hand that made him feel he had to stay.
He wasn't being physically abused! And he was not a child when he got into the situation like Aly or Simone.

Xela M

Sports federations, in cooperation with legal entities and NGOs, need to determine what is allowable and what is not. To some, being yelled at is harassment, and for others, perhaps it provides motivation necessary to become a champion.

People have different "pain" thresholds. Bruno seems rather tender, if you ask me. That is not Aljona's fault.
I agree. My teenage daughter does a different sport (show jumping) to a high level and she constantly gets yelled at by her coach who is really tough on her. But she doesn't like the nicer coaches because she doesn't feel they are able to achieve the same results with the nicey nicey approach.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
And herein lies another issue, especially with older generations and ignorant types. I have a strong feeling that if Bruno were to call it quits in the middle of the partnership and/or decide to reveal why there were struggles, we'd have a bunch of people telling him to grow up and be a man, or ridiculing him because a woman supposedly had that kind of power over him.

It's really okay to be tender and struggle with BS, either as it happens or when reflecting on it.

I agree. My teenage daughter does a different sport (show jumping) to a high level and she constantly gets yelled at by her coach who is really tough on her. But she doesn't like the nicer coaches because she doesn't feel they are able to achieve the same results with the nicey nicey approach.
But what happens if the yelling and toughness catches up with her one day, either soon or in the distant future when she's reflecting on what she put all of her time into? I'm sure you'll be right here saying that's her problem for sticking with it :shuffle:

Habs

A bitch from Canada
After all of your victim blaming and efforts to dismiss abuse experiences, I admit I'm very surprised to read that you have a teenage daughter.

Vagabond

He wasn't being physically abused! And he was not a child when he got into the situation like Aly or Simone.
Abuse is always psychological. It may have a physical component, but often it does not.

Sometimes the worst abuse is entirely psychological.

ETA: Adults can be victims too. Haven't you ever heard of spousal abuse?

Last edited:

just tuned in

I have a strong feeling that if Bruno were to call it quits in the middle of the partnership and/or decide to reveal why there were struggles, we'd have a bunch of people telling him to grow up and be a man, or ridiculing him because a woman supposedly had that kind of power over him.
Pairs break up all the time, and no one here is telling anyone to "tough it out." He could have quit at the time, saying it was too difficult, or she was horrible to work with or whatever. Five years later, if he has 'PTSD', perhaps he can find a therapist to help.

Last edited:

Winnipeg

He made an adult decision and he has to live with the consequences both GOOD and bad. He may never have achieved his current status in FS without having gone through the tough relationship.

Everyone, or many people, have had to deal with difficult personalities at work but I guess most companies have respectful workplace policies which address personalities like AS is alleged to have.

canbelto

Tough is not abuse. For the last time. if your coaches were tough on your teen daughter and asked her to practice hard, that's fine. If they call her "lazy" because she has a lung infection that needs hospitalization, that's abuse. See how it works?

Also, abuse is psychological. it's called a mental prison for a reason.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
He made an adult decision and he has to live with the consequences both GOOD and bad. He may never have achieved his current status in FS without having gone through the tough relationship.

Everyone, or many people, have had to deal with difficult personalities at work but I guess most companies have respectful workplace policies which address personalities like AS is alleged to have.
Difficult personalities isn't the same as abuse.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I’m not. It’s exactly what I expect from figure skating. I do think abuse is called what it is more often now than it used to be, and things are slowly getting better. But this thread is perfect evidence that the culture as a whole (fans included) still has a long way to go.
I'd go one step further. This is what I expect when a man admits he was abused.

kirkbiggestfan

I am really conflicted because Bruno was a diamond in the rough. Everyone knew he was so strong physically with excellent jumping technique. Even when he was 15th in the world, experts like Ingo knew Bruno was Olympic medal potential. He is a sweetheart but he also has his own strong personality. His breakup with Popova was probably not handled the best way he could. He is far from being perfect. But what was described is obviously an abusive situation.

What makes me sad is that Jean-Francois was such a father figure and Bruno misses his leadership in times like these. JF was the type that would have put them together in a room at Worlds this year and discuss this privately.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I’m not. It’s exactly what I expect from figure skating. I do think abuse is called what it is more often now than it used to be, and things are slowly getting better. But this thread is perfect evidence that the culture as a whole (fans included) still has a long way to go.
Took the words right out of my mouth. (Okay, fingers)

It's possible that some of these apologists have never been in an abusive relationship. If you ever have been, then you know how it goes. The abuser wears down your confidence and everything that is wrong in the relationship becomes your fault. if you are a person who is a bit insecure and/or you are very into self-improvement, it is easy to go from accepting what seems like honest and constructive criticism to accepting every criticism no matter how irrational. Then you get to the point where you can't leave because you feel trapped and aren't good enough to do anything about it. Or maybe you are financially trapped. Or both. And you can be a strong person in every other aspect of your life, too.

Anyway... back to Bruno. (Who apparently we do talk about. ;))

Bruno was asked about his relationship with Aljona for an article. He answered their questions honestly from his POV. He never asked anyone to feel sorry for him. So I'm not sure why people feel the need to come into this thread to declare that they don't.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
As for Bruno, I have no sympathy. He was nothing without her and wanted the OGM. Now that he achieved it thanks to her, he can badmouth her.
You know, regardless of what he wanted, there is no excuse for bad behaviour. Whether it was him, whether it was her. This is the sort of thing that people say to women who are subjected to rape or domestic violence. "If she hadn't stayed with him it wouldn't have happened. She brought it on herself."

The standard we walk by is the standard we accept. Regardless of the hindsight, this is still unacceptable.

skateboy

I will chime in with what I'm sure will be an unpopular comment but it's my honest opinion:

Aljona was always a total turnoff to me, I never liked her (meaning, of course, the persona she projected, based on her demeanor and in interviews). When she and Bruno won, I was happy for him because I could only imagine the grief he would have had to put up with if they hadn't.

And I was happy Aljona won because I figured I (as a FS fan) wouldn't have to deal with her anymore.

Nadya

Whatever happened to him, the answer to his troubles is: Bruno, you wanted a gold medal bad enough to take it.

Aljona was in a more vulnerable state, not Bruno. She wanted to win, like, WANTED TO WIN. And she needed a partner to make it happen. Whoever wants it more is always the weaker link.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Whatever happened to him, the answer to his troubles is: Bruno, you wanted a gold medal bad enough to take it.

Aljona was in a more vulnerable state, not Bruno. She wanted to win, like, WANTED TO WIN. And she needed a partner to make it happen. Whoever wants it more is always the weaker link.
And again another appalling judgemental comment saying abuse is acceptable and blaming the victim.

canbelto

What??? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Aljona was the skater with the reputation and clout to pair with any partner she wanted. The federation was always going to prioritize her first. Coaches and fans too.
Of all the victim-blaming in this thread, this whole idea that an OGM should make Bruno shut up is the most toxic.

canbelto

I have a serious question too. Suppose Savchenko/Massot didn't get OGM. Suppose they got bronze or silver or (gasp!) fourth. Would Massot have more room to complain? People in this thread think the OGM should erase everything. So what about a silver? Bronze? Off the podium?

Nadya

What??? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Aljona was the skater with the reputation and clout to pair with any partner she wanted. The federation was always going to prioritize her first. Coaches and fans too.
Of all the victim-blaming in this thread, this whole idea that an OGM should make Bruno shut up is the most toxic.

You must be very sheltered if this is the dumbest thing you've ever heard. I'm going to explain it to you like you're five. Aljona wanted the Olympic gold. Really wanted it, OK? But she needed a partner to make it happen because it's not like she could make it in singles, could she. Available, Olympic-caliber male pairs skaters aren't exactly standing in the streets waiting to be picked up by Aljona. Was there a line of partners screaming Aljona, pick me? Was there? No. If Massot walked out, Aljona would be SOL with all her fabulousness. Alors, he had the power - assuming he didn't want to medal as badly as she did. Did he?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information