Bruno Massot called Savchenko “A tyrant” and said he has PTSD after working with her.

Lanja

I don't know if it's been posted elsewhere, but Aljona gave an interview in which she spoke about what Bruno had said about their partnership. I am biased against her so it came across to me as defensive, although I think she probably did experience their relationship quite differently to how he did.

"After our Olympic victory, Bruno wanted to take a break, in order to build up a training center in Switzerland with his coach Jean-François Ballester. I was supposed to join them. Then the coach died and Bruno gave up this engagement." (She seems upset by this, which is logical, but given the context I felt that she was trying to get back at him for putting her in a bad light.) "We were a dream pair on the ice, but in the end he wanted to do his own thing. I find it very sad. When we were together, I gave him everything that I had. Especially mental strength, which one needs in order to reach the top."

"Bruno had big doubts...many times he said: 'I am skating with a world champion, but I am not so good.' Again and again I tried to make him understand that we were on the same level and that he should forget what I achieved with Robin. ...We helped each other, and I thought that we had a good relationship."

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I think it's important to note that even in the Soviet Union, no one could force anyone to continue skating
There were major consequences if you stopped. They would hurt your family, they would take away your sources of food, shelter, and income. Among other things.
I wonder if there are still the mid-Western hausfraus who go to FS meets in fur coats and call themselves "Natasha" or "Svetlana" replete with a Russian accent.
For some reason this reminds me of the episode of The IT Crowd where the company imposes ever harsher restrictions on smoking, and Jen complains "It's like we have to go to Gorkiy Park to smoke."

delayedaxel

I saw them in persona back at „German National‘s 2017/2018“. Whereas he seemed to be a funny and down-to-earth guy, she tried so much to look „professional“ that it just came across as „fake“ to me. When there is everything planned months in advance - every meal you have, every training you do, every word you say to the audience while signing autographs - and there seems no room for a spontaneous reaction, a kind gesture that comes from heart, I cannot relate neither to such a person, nor the art she creates. Their Olympic routine just left me could, they just couldn‘t sell their programm as a „pair“ to me - when I think of pair skating and a programm that is perfect and stands the test of time, it is always Shen/Zhao that comes into my mind and never Savchenko/ Massot.

And yes, every athlete has a schedule and things planned, of course, it‘s jut that, for me, Savchenko always took it that tiny step too far, this „wanting it so much“ that made her annoy me. To sum it up: I`m shocked by Bruno‘s statement, but not surprised at all.

canbelto

I don't know if it's been posted elsewhere, but Aljona gave an interview in which she spoke about what Bruno had said about their partnership. I am biased against her so it came across to me as defensive, although I think she probably did experience their relationship quite differently to how he did.

"After our Olympic victory, Bruno wanted to take a break, in order to build up a training center in Switzerland with his coach Jean-François Ballester. I was supposed to join them. Then the coach died and Bruno gave up this engagement." (She seems upset by this, which is logical, but given the context I felt that she was trying to get back at him for putting her in a bad light.) "We were a dream pair on the ice, but in the end he wanted to do his own thing. I find it very sad. When we were together, I gave him everything that I had. Especially mental strength, which one needs in order to reach the top."

"Bruno had big doubts...many times he said: 'I am skating with a world champion, but I am not so good.' Again and again I tried to make him understand that we were on the same level and that he should forget what I achieved with Robin. ...We helped each other, and I thought that we had a good relationship."

This is depressing to read. All that success on the ice, and all these bitter feelings now. I think she probably did think they had a good relationship.

Nadya

There were major consequences if you stopped. They would hurt your family, they would take away your sources of food, shelter, and income. Among other things.
Like, they would burn your cabbage patch or something? Take away your sources of food?

Don't be ridiculous. There were dozens lined up to replace whoever was stepping down, and they'd probably throw them a very nice sendoff party.

ballettmaus

Like, they would burn your cabbage patch or something? Take away your sources of food?
Like taking away your privileges. Travel, an bigger apartment or an apartment you might not have to share or only had to share with one family, clothes that they had because they were traveling to Western countries, cars, weekend homes etc. I wouldn't be surprised if athletes got food that wasn't widely available in stores either.

Nadya

Like taking away your privileges. Travel, an bigger apartment or an apartment you might not have to share or only had to share with one family, clothes that they had because they were traveling to Western countries, cars, weekend homes etc. I wouldn't be surprised if athletes got food that wasn't widely available in stores either.

You mean I should be able to continue flying business (a privilege of my job) even after I leave said job? And retain all other benefits?

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
You mean I should be able to continue flying business (a privilege of my job) even after I leave said job? And retain all other benefits?
Don't forget, you are talking about KIDS employed by the state. The "privileges" that they took away from kid athletes and families if the kids quit were sometimes pretty basic things that we take for granted: Like an apartment that isn't condemned and overrun by roaches and rats, an apartment that was large enough for the whole family, sufficient and nutritious food, clothing that kept you warm during the nasty Soviet winters, etc. We're not talking about flying coach vs business class. We're talking about basic stuff that makes life liveable.

Nadya

Don't forget, you are talking about KIDS employed by the state. The "privileges" that they took away from kid athletes and families if the kids quit were sometimes pretty basic things that we take for granted: Like an apartment that isn't condemned and overrun by roaches and rats, an apartment that was large enough for the whole family, sufficient and nutritious food, clothing that kept you warm during the nasty Soviet winters, etc. We're not talking about flying coach vs business class. We're talking about basic stuff that makes life liveable.
Is it your position that families of kids who were not Olympic athletes in Russia (an overwhelming majority of the population) lived in condemned apartments overrun by roaches and rats, had insufficient and non-nutritious food, froze in winter and lived an otherwise non-liveable life? Remember that only a tiny handful of people in any given country can be Olympic athletes so is it your position that families with no Olympic athlete kids lived as you described?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information