2022-23 US Pairs Discussion - Second to None!

mtnskater

Really bummed about the split 😵 Honestly I noticed Andy kind of rolling his eyes at Cayla more than a few times like she was his irritating little sister. But having the goal of becoming a doctor is a very laudable goal so I understand. I thought Andy had really nice lines and posture so it’s double hard to lose a male pairs skater like that. Cayla is a talent and seems made for pairs so hopefully USFS will help her find the right one.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I haven't seen anything posted on social media by Andy yet
Andy Deng's post an hour ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnQkm0KNJdf/
I can’t believe it’s been three years! Lots of ups and downs but all things come to an end. As our paths no longer align, Cayla and I will be going separate ways. I wish her the best of luck with what comes next in her life.

At the same time I want to give my immense gratitude to our coach, Alena Lunin. With lots of hard work and dedication, she made this team achieve many great things. Also, thank you so much USFSA, Team USA, ISU, Fort Wayne Ice Skating Club, and friends everywhere for all the support and encouragement.

Moving forward I will be continuing to work on improving my skills and searching for a new partner for the future seasons.
I selfishly hope both will find compatible partners so I can watch them each develop further in this challenging discipline of pairs.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’ll miss Cayla and Andy…but can’t wait to see Cayla again in her upcoming team. She’s been my favorite Team Cheerleader this year!!!

mtnskater

I’m very glad that Andy plans to continue. I think Smith & Deng’s pairs coach did a very good job with their fundamentals. I kind of wish USFS could lure the coach to one of the skating centers where more skaters might take up pairs. It may be hard for Cayla to find another pair partner of her caliber in Indiana? Maybe Andy was already planning to relocate for college?

AYS

🌻
It's really too bad, as they were certainly a talented and promising pair, but pair skating (and dance) is a day in/day out grind with someone else, not just those few times a year we get to see them out there competing together. You have to be simpatico or it will tend to be a miserable experience. It's the road as much as the destination that matters in this life, including elite competitive skating.

Trillian

I’m very glad that Andy plans to continue. I think Smith & Deng’s pairs coach did a very good job with their fundamentals.

I agree. They were obviously not quite senior-ready. But it was nice to see a junior team at that really solid, well-rounded, age-appropriate stage of development with a few years of junior eligibility left. Both of them should have an excellent foundation for any future partnerships.

tapdancer10

I kind of wish USFS could lure the coach to one of the skating centers where more skaters might take up pairs.

The coach is the problem. She's coached several talented pair teams over the past 15 years whose partnerships exploded in the toxic environment. Wishing Cayla and Andy healing and hoping they both find healthy environments in which they can thrive.

mtnskater

The coach is the problem. She's coached several talented pair teams over the past 15 years whose partnerships exploded in the toxic environment. Wishing Cayla and Andy healing and hoping they both find healthy environments in which they can thrive.
What does she do to create a toxic environment? This is the first I’ve heard of this….of course I have not really heard of her before.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The Junior team of Lachlan Lewer (with his Australian accent ;)) and Naomi Williams spoke briefly in this local Colorado Springs news segment filmed Saturday at Acacia Park’s ‘Skate in the Park’ event for National Skating month: https://www.kktv.com/video/2023/01/08/watch-local-residents-skate-with-team-usa/
If the protocols from their skate at the Pairs Qualifying Event late last year mean anything, he has really improved as well.
How great to see another Aussie pair guy (after Hektor G-M) doing so well, too.

Sylvia

TBD
Phil Hersh's very compelling article on Anastasiia Smirnova and Danil Siianytsia that includes details about how he ended up in Minnesota in the summer of 2016 at the age of 15 and how he and Nastyia paired up:
Excerpt from the end:
“We felt so proud, knowing athletes in Ukraine or in the USA are looking up to you,” he said. “Maybe they wanted to be like you, the way I looked at the German Olympic couple (2018 gold medalists Aliona Savchenko and Bruno Massot). She was Ukrainian, he was French, and they were just doing what we all are: figure skating, performing, enjoying the sport itself, no matter what flag you are representing.”
He and Smirnova both have green cards – yet another thread color for the current iteration of their tapestry — and should become U.S. citizens in time to be eligible for the 2026 Winter Olympics.
“’I feel emotional ties to Ukraine, my heritage and my family, but I only have ever felt as an athlete that I represent and am a part of the U.S. team,” Siianytsia said.
They can be yellow and blue in the soul, red, white and blue on the ice, weaving the threads of their lives into a compelling narrative.
ETA that I've cross-posted an excerpt about how the war affects them here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...to-other-countries.107351/page-6#post-6368170

I hope they will see many Ukrainian flags waving for them in the San Jose audience!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Long interview with Valentina Plazas/Maximiliano Fernandez was published today by Absolute Skating.
(Interview was conducted at Skate America.)

"Meet Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez, aka Black Widow and Captain Latin America"

William Church is now on Ice Partner Search. He was due to compete in Junior Pairs in San Jose with his sister Margaret.

Per USFS updates (published on Jan 17), Junior Pairs field at Nationals is down to nine pairs -- b/c of two other withdrawals in addition to Smith/Deng.

FWIW: Church/Church are not marked as a withdrawal [yet?] ... although jkl posted on Jan 8.
Meaning the field soon could be down to eight pairs?

Sylvia

TBD
FWIW: Church/Church are not marked as a withdrawal [yet?] ... although jkl posted on Jan 8.
Meaning the field soon could be down to eight pairs?
Or perhaps William Church is looking for next season?

The other two Junior Pairs WD are:
Graceann Gottschalk and Collin Motley (one year exception to Rule 2502; Novice 2nd) - withdrew 1/9
Isabelle Martins and Aaron Felberbaum (U.S. Pairs Final) - withdrew 12/15

shan

Phil Hersh's very compelling article on Anastasiia Smirnova and Danil Siianytsia that includes details about how he ended up in Minnesota in the summer of 2016 at the age of 15 and how he and Nastyia paired up:
Excerpt from the end:

ETA that I've cross-posted an excerpt about how the war affects them here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...to-other-countries.107351/page-6#post-6368170

I hope they will see many Ukrainian flags waving for them in the San Jose audience!
Great article! Thanks for sharing. I hope they have a great experience at Nationals! :cheer2:

ice coverage

Or perhaps William Church is looking for next season?

Junior Pairs is down to 8 and two groups.

Regarding Junior Pairs, still not clear (at least to me) whether or not Church/Church will compete at Nats.

According to the public Practice Groups document dated Jan 17:

Junior Pairs Practice Groups 1/17/2023 - consolidated from three to two warm up groups​

Junior Pairs Practice Group A​
Church, Church​
Murray, Gillette​
Park, Griffin​
Korytek, Chapman​

Junior Pairs Practice Group B​
Rivers, Rensing​
Delis, Schwab​
Williams, Lewer​
Flores, Wang​

Kayla Black/Kamden Black are the entry no longer appearing in the Practice Groups, although the Qualifiers list as of Jan 17 does not indicate that they withdrew.

[FWIW(?): And in Senior Dance: Depietri/Carey have been added to Practice Groups; but Murphy/Levitt have not.]

clairecloutier

Ashley Cain talks about her experiences touring the Middle East with Disney shows:

She's on a break right now from Disney but will move on to touring Singapore, Bangkok, and South America with them later this year.

I'm really glad that Ashley is getting these opportunities after what happened at Worlds last spring.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I’m very glad that Andy plans to continue. I think Smith & Deng’s pairs coach did a very good job with their fundamentals. I kind of wish USFS could lure the coach to one of the skating centers where more skaters might take up pairs. It may be hard for Cayla to find another pair partner of her caliber in Indiana? Maybe Andy was already planning to relocate for college?
I can confirm that Alena is an excellent coach. Very geared toward good basics. She and husband Sasha used to have figure sessions, a rarity in these days. And stroking classes are very much a part of her repertoire.
I have to disagree. Yes, she and her husband were raised in the Soviet system, and they are tough but fair. I will not name specific skaters here, but immaturity, alcoholism, scary parents, and manipulative personalities among a few of the skaters played roles in other partnership difficulties.

Stephanie

USFS added the Bavarian Open assignments on their website yesterday but Flores/Wang are not listed (they are still on the BO website ). Just Murray/Gillette and Williams/Lewer are listed for junior pairs.

ice coverage

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Smirnova/Siianytsia have withdrawn from Nats as of Jan 22 (today), per updated USFS qualifiers list. :(

Oh no!!!!!! I was so looking forward to them competing this week. 😪

ETA - strange - her IG account has a story from 6 hrs ago of an airplane wing and a flying gif. Perhaps the WD is an error... Crossing my fingers and hoping.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Smirnova/Siianytsia have withdrawn from Nats as of Jan 22 (today), per updated USFS qualifiers list. :(

They missed last year, too. Two years in a row.
Smirnova got a positive COVID-19 test last year, right before their first Sr Nats.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information