Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
They could declare the Russians ineligible since the Russian Fake Prix wasn't ISU sanctioned
No, they couldn't, since the Russian FauxGP did not have any international skaters - just Russians, therefore it's a Russian domestic series.

Additionally, Valieva wasn't under suspension by Rusada this fall - the provisional suspension for the doping violation lasted exactly one day, back in February, and it was the lifting of that suspension that allowed her to compete in the Women's competition during the Olympics.

So, none of the other Russian skaters, nor Valieva for that matter, are going to get in trouble for her competing in their fauxGP, nor will they get in trouble for any other domestic competitions in which she participates while the CAS appeal on Rusada's non-action is undecided.

coppertop1

No, they couldn't, since the Russian FauxGP did not have any international skaters - just Russians, therefore it's a Russian domestic series.

Additionally, Valieva wasn't under suspension by Rusada this fall - the provisional suspension for the doping violation lasted exactly one day, back in February, and it was the lifting of that suspension that allowed her to compete in the Women's competition during the Olympics.

So, none of the other Russian skaters, nor Valieva for that matter, are going to get in trouble for her competing in their fauxGP, nor will they get in trouble for any other domestic competitions in which she participates while the CAS appeal on Rusada's non-action is undecided.
Ok. I stand corrected.

I'm going to say something that could be controversial: I kinda feel like anyone who participated in the pro war rallies or wears a Z should be stripped of their medals.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Unfortunately, however, the rules say that in terms of what goes into her body and registers, or doesn't, on a drugs test, no matter how young she is the buck stops with her.

Remember Ashley Wagner pointing out back when the news first broke that from the age of 13, she was expected to know the rules and to take full responsibility for every single item she ingested and every single form she filled out - not her parents, not her coaches, her - and to understand why? If she was required to accept that level of responsibility according to the rules at 13, Valieva must be expected to do likewise, and to be capable of doing likewise - at 15.

Valieva could have been aware of the rules, but still felt pressured to do what her very powerful coaches and federation expected her to do. Wagner probably wouldn't have suddenly disappeared from international competition forever if she had refused to take something she was told to take but that she suspected might be illegal.

Karen-W

I'm going to say something that could be controversial: I kinda feel like anyone who participated in the pro war rallies or wears a Z should be stripped of their medals.
Won't happen. And, horrific as their behavior has been, it shouldn't happen. Talk about opening up a can of worms if the likes of Plushenko, MishGal, SinKats, etc were retroactively stripped of their medals for something they did after they won their competitions. What they did on the field of play should stand and be respected for the athletic achievements they were. Go down this road and you'll start seeing a lot of "what abouts" and calls to strip athletes from the past for their current political views - would you call for Caitlin Jenner to be stripped of the Olympic gold medal won in decathlon simply because she supported Trump at one point, or for Jamie Sale to lose her Olympic gold medal because she's gone down the Q-Anon path?

coppertop1

Won't happen. And, horrific as their behavior has been, it shouldn't happen. Talk about opening up a can of worms if the likes of Plushenko, MishGal, SinKats, etc were retroactively stripped of their medals for something they did after they won their competitions. What they did on the field of play should stand and be respected for the athletic achievements they were. Go down this road and you'll start seeing a lot of "what abouts" and calls to strip athletes from the past for their current political views - would you call for Caitlin Jenner to be stripped of the Olympic gold medal won in decathlon simply because she supported Trump at one point, or for Jamie Sale to lose her Olympic gold medal because she's gone down the Q-Anon path?
It would be a can of worms, I agree. I know it won't happen. I know some athletes have been sanctioned for their participation in these rallies.

Last edited:

On My Own

Of course but China has never been punished as a whole because they believe that while all the athletes are employees Of china the state doesn’t dope it’s all personal choice unlike Russia
Of course. Sun Yang is a doping Chinese swimmer. But he is basically ward and employee of the state swimming program. He is a proven doper but all his doping is considered personal rather than state. Why?
Nope, not true: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_in_China

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Won't happen. And, horrific as their behavior has been, it shouldn't happen.
Also, it doesn't really make sense to me. If an athlete does something sanctionable, you punish them for anything they did during and after that point. But no Russian skaters are winning ISU medals at this point to be stripped.

You would only retroactively strip medals if you found out later about behavior that happened during that time. Like a skater cheating or interfering with a competitor.

DreamSkates

Ok. I stand corrected.

There are so many wars that go on between and within some countries there practically have to cancel the Olympics until the world comes together in political peace.

Firedancer

RUSADA ruled Valieva committed an anti-doping violation but she bore no fault or negligence. The only sanction is disqualification of her Russian nationals result. WADA has requested a copy of the decision and will determine if they should appeal.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1132466/valieva-cleared-of-doping-by-rusada

I don’t think any of us expected much from RUSADA. I hope WADA appeals, wins and gets a long ban.

On My Own

I don’t think any of us expected much from RUSADA. I hope WADA appeals, wins and gets a long ban.
I don't really think they will. There won't be much pressure for a ban with the country-wide ban on Russia currently, so "all" there is, is the team medal placements, which the CAS arbitration panel can be easily swayed over. Maybe current anti-Russia sentiment can help, but OTOH it can easily be turned around against WADA as well.

angi

Well I guess Trusova finally got her gold medal...

Not a surprising decision, still a horrible one with dreadful repercussions to the sport unless WADA will appeal to CAS (didn't they already contact them? RUSADA is about 4 months late with this "decision") because otherwise, the sport loses the little credibility it has left.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Not surprised by this, honestly I'm sure RUSADA tried to find a way for her to keep the national title too.

WADA hopefully is able to do something. I do not want to see that Russian team awarded medals from Beijing. And honestly she needs to lose her Euro title too.

barbk

Not surprised by this, honestly I'm sure RUSADA tried to find a way for her to keep the national title too.

WADA hopefully is able to do something. I do not want to see that Russian team awarded medals from Beijing. And honestly she needs to lose her Euro title too.
She needs to be banned for several years. Bullshit excuses and a direct violation of the doping rules.
Until Russia cleans up its anti-doping regime, all Russian athletes training in Russia should be banned.

Karen-W

Well, I guess she has to continue competing now until she wins a Russian National title since that's been vacated by RUSADA's joke of a punishment.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Meanwhile, USA, Japan and Canada are still waiting for their medals. Loena still doesn't have her bronze from Europeans. Russia has decided that if they can't have their golds, no other will.
This decision means that Canada and Leona will not get medals as those titles haven't been vacated. I'm not surprised they didn't carry the punishment through the Olympics but I am surprised they didn't also vacate her Euros title. I think that would have appeased a lot of people and made it less likely for an appeal to CAS to succeed.

coppertop1

I k
She doesn't? ETA: Oh right, she was 4th.

(nitpick - still premature re. CAN team bronze)
Well, hopefully Russia will be stripped of their gold medal from the Team Event and Canada gets the bronze.
This decision means that Canada and Leona will not get medals as those titles haven't been vacated. I'm not surprised they didn't carry the punishment through the Olympics but I am surprised they didn't also vacate her Euros title. I think that would have appeased a lot of people and made it less likely for an appeal to CAS to succeed.
So Russia can't have their cake and they made sure no one else can. They're so entitled.

On My Own

Well, maybe that's what RUSADA will end up doing after this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information