Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Is that true? He started working with them in 2010 which was 12 years ago. Did Tutberidze's Junoir skaters start tearing up the Jr circuit soon after?

In 2008-2009, the JGP Finalists were Kristine Musademba (USA), Yukiko Fujisawa (JPN) Alexe Gilles (USA), Kanako Murakami (JPN), Amanda Dobbs (USA), Becky Bereswill (USA), Angela Maxwell (USA) and Diane Szmiett (CAN). No Russians.

In 2009-2010, the JGP Finalists were Kanako Murakami (JPN), Polina Shelepen (RUS - Eteri student), Kiri Baga (USA), Angela Maxwell (USA), Ksenia Makarova (RUS - USA export), Christina Gao (USA), Anna Ovcharova (RUS) and Ellie Kawamura (USA).

In 2010-2011, the JGP Finalists were Sotnikova (RUS), Tuktamysheva (RUS), Shoji (JPN), Shelepen (RUS - Eteri), Gao (USA), Siraj (USA), Gong (USA) *Baga (USA- WD) * Zijun Li (CHN replacement athlete).

So Russia begins to emerge in 2009-2010. Eteri has two athletes in reduced final of six skaters in 2011-2012 (Shelepen & Lipnitskaya). Russia has four finalists in 2013-2014, two of whom are Eteri's athletes. Japan keeps pace with Russia 2014-2016. Eteri hits her stride in the 2017-2018 season with four athletes in the JGP final (and Russia also has Samodurova in that final) which she repeats in 2018-2019. In 2019-2020, Russia continues its stranglehold on the top, but Eteri only has two out of the four Russian JGP Final qualifiers (Valieva, Usacheva). They are both on podium in the final, though.

What I want to know is whether the good doctor worked with more figure skating schools than just Eteri's program.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
What I want to know is whether the good doctor worked with more figure skating schools than just Eteri's program.
That's what I'm curious about also. The NYT article states that he was the Russian figure skating team's doctor, and it was noted above that for a time, he worked closely with Mozer's team. So, who else has he worked with? Is it any coincidence that he's in Moscow and most of the successful women have been Moscow-based during the most successful parts of their career? The whole thing is smelling as bad as The Oregon Project or BALCO in their heyday did.

Yehudi

AITA
That's what I'm curious about also. The NYT article states that he was the Russian figure skating team's doctor, and it was noted above that for a time, he worked closely with Mozer's team. So, who else has he worked with? Is it any coincidence that he's in Moscow and most of the successful women have been Moscow-based during the most successful parts of their career? The whole thing is smelling as bad as The Oregon Project or BALCO in their heyday did.

I dunno if he worked closely with Bobrova but he was name dropped when that whole scandal hit, as he was with the team at Euros. Vaitsekhovskaya didn’t outright accuse him but said enough to imply fault. He ended up suing Sport-Express for libel, but it seemed he was more angry about the implication he was incompetent enough to accidentally give the drug.

clairecloutier

Interesting to note that the increased dominance of Russian pairs at the junior level dates from about the 2015-16 season. Russian pairs have of course been generally strong since the 1960s. However, their 3 consecutive World Junior podium sweeps (2018-20) is something that was not achieved even in Soviet times (although it was close in 1985-87).

VGThuy

Worse comes to worst…this may rock the skating world in a huge way. We’re now talking about other disciplines and the past 12 seasons of results in both the junior and senior level being looked at.

In reality, nothing will most likely happen except Valieva’s case and only her case being looked at.

soogar

I dunno if he worked closely with Bobrova but he was name dropped when that whole scandal hit, as he was with the team at Euros. Vaitsekhovskaya didn’t outright accuse him but said enough to imply fault. He ended up suing Sport-Express for libel, but it seemed he was more angry about the implication he was incompetent enough to accidentally give the drug.

Thanks for posting that article. Readers should open up the reader comments because there was this interesting nugget about the rowing team and I added the bolding to the translation.

"
Words of rower Podshivalov:

"I am a disqualified athlete of the Russian national rowing team in the eight," wrote Ivan. "We won the Olympic license, but we were deprived of it due to the fault of the head coach and the doctor of the national team, who made us drips. The doctor DID NOT KNOW that drips and all intravenous injections are prohibited ... "

And one more thing:

"- From the center of sports training they sent. Philip Shvetsky. A 28-year-old guy. He has been working with us since 2005. It seems that the Russian national rowing team was his first place of work in big-time sports. The most interesting thing in this whole story is that athletes are now the disqualification is serving, but he continues to work at the school of the Olympic reserve. Participated in the preparation of the men's doubles and the fours of the pair for the Games in Beijing. I don’t know how he was formalized there - officially or unofficially - I don’t know. "

Interesting, right? By the way, he worked with the national teams of 2005. Approximately from 2008 to 2011, he could not work with national teams, there was a decision. Where did he get 11 years of experience then? Or did he still work, although it was impossible?

And further. If at the time of that article he was 28 years old, now he is 36 (or even 35 more). He has been working as an anesthesiologist-resuscitator since the age of 18???

It's all kind of dull. We are waiting for Vaitsekhovskaya's answer."

Seems like there is also a discrepancy about his age and qualifications. In Sydney Olympics, when they stripped Raducan of her gold medal because she had a banned cold medicine, they gave a harsher punishment to the doctors because the doctors were expected to know what medicines to give the athletes.

soogar

If the good doctor worked with Mozer's teams, it definitely makes Stolbova/Klimov's decision to skip Worlds in 2015 look even more suspicious. I remember the speculation that she failed a drug test.
There was an interview posted on here a few years ago in which Mozer discussed Vladimir Morozov's heart and expressed concern that he couldn't pass a physical. There was speculation here that perhaps he had an arrhythmia. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him Meldonium before it was banned, and maybe he was given the same stuff as Valieva in this quad. The one thing I notice is that after a program, he is completely winded, same like Valieva. Granted he's a big man jumping and lifting a woman, but he seems to be the most winded of the pairs guys. Valieva always looked weird to me, the way she could barely breathe after a long program. She was only 15 years old. Most other skaters aren't breathing so heavily.

airgelaal

CAS has registered the Statement of Appeal filed by WADA against RUSADA and Kamila Valieva

WADA says it is seeking a ruling from CAS that Valieva committed an anti-doping rule violation and is calling for a four-year ban for the athlete if found guilty, along with the disqualification of all of her results from December 25 2021 onwards.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
WADA is seeking a 4 year ban for Valieva and to disqualify all of her results from 12/25/21 onward. I hope they get all of it:
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1130413/wada-rusada-valieva-case
Same! Throw the book at her! I'm sure Russia would find some minor, early January international for her to obtain her TES mins to compete in Milano, if she's still around by then.

I have a suspicion that RUSADA believes, due to Valieva's status as a "protected person," that they don't have to report their findings or their disciplinary committee's decision to WADA. I'm sure that's not in the WADA code, but that might be their play, based on the position they publicly took last month that they wouldn't release any information at all.

I hope that all of Team USA, Team Japan and Team Canada get a big, special medal ceremony in Paris. Hopefully it will be resolved by then and they deserve their special OLYMPIC moment. I want to see Nathan, Vincent, Karen, Alexa, Brandon, Madi H, Zach, Madi C, Evan, Shoma, Yuma, Kaori, Wakaba, Riku, Ryuichi, Misato, Tim, Roman, Maddie, Kirsten, Mike, Vanessa, Eric, Piper and Paul all there, celebrating their achievement.
The parties responsible should be punished, but we don't know who that was and it will be difficult to determine unless someone comes forward with such information.
Or RUSADA releases its findings...

coppertop1

I believe minors should be protected. It's also very clear that every single Olympic eligible sport needs an age rule the prevents protected minors from competing at that level if this is how it's going to be abused.
And minors competing at the Olympics is not just a figure skating thing. Almost every sport have teenage prodigies. Part of me is worried that this might happen again. Allowing Valieva to skate wasn't protecting her at all. There needs to be very real consequences for adults who abuse and exploit these teenage athletes for their or gaij

barbarafan

He should not be allowed on the premises.
When I read that she had monster quads and maybe she's on steroids, I thought @VICK B. meant big quad muscles. :lol:

Anyway, the smaller you are, the easier is it to get up in the air, stay there and rotate quickly. So that part isn't suspicious to me. I mean Stephen Gogolev had quads when was that age and he's from Canada. So did USFS' own Alysa Liu.
Stephen Gogolev had quads at 11 & 12. Once his bones started growing he would have soreness so was restricted by coach&Doctor and parents. If not sore he was only allowed to do them for a few mins a day (just enough to keep them)and if sore no quads and easy on other jumping...

kirkbiggestfan

Pretty crazy to think that it is 4 years after December 25th 2021. She could be in Milano if Russia is back....no international competition means no doping tests during that time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information