U.S. Men 2022-23 news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Has USFS indicated how qualifying is working this year for Nationals on the senior level? I have completely lost the plot and trying to find info is very challenging.
I've replied with a link that should explain this season's Nationals qualifying process in this GSD thread:

Re-posting here from the Champs Camp thread (thanks for the info! :)):
Ryan Dunk is not competing this season. Collegiate Nats was his last competition. He graduated college in May and has moved on to his next chapter, now working full-time (although he is skating with Forte, SCOB's Senior TOI team, so he'll be able to continue skating in a different capacity). :)
An April 2022 article about Ryan -- well worth reading, IMO -- was linked in the previous thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ason-news-updates.108445/page-85#post-6244566

In the case of Paniot, he has been on his way back from surgery. I doubt he’s competition ready yet.
Case in point: Paniot's latest Instagram story showss him landing 3F with the caption "First flip."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Junior age-eligible (JGP candidates in ISP):
Robert Yampolsky (won the U.S. Junior Team Cup in Milwaukee, scoring 201.76)
Michael Xie (199.44, 2nd; won FS)
Maxim Zharkov (170.69, 3rd)
It was great to hear Ted Barton & Mark Hanretty complimenting Michael Xie's expressive skating in his JGP debut yesterday! :) Here's his Team USA profile:
Michael is getting closer on his 3A this season - think he landed at least one cleanly in a summer comp. I really loved his "Found/Tonight" SP last season but this year he's using "Never Enough" which is not a fave song of mine. ;)

I just noticed Xie's first Team USA assignment (Adv. Novice at Challenge Cup in February 2020) is not included in his Competition History (@mtnskater check out who he edged out for gold! :)): https://knsbfigureskatingresults.nl/2019-2020/20200220/CAT001RS.HTM

For those who don't have access to the Kiss & Cry section, info on the NQS comp. in Sherwood, Oregon this weekend: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1562977194909245442

ice coverage

It was great to hear Ted Barton & Mark Hanretty complimenting Michael Xie's expressive skating in his JGP debut yesterday! :) Here's his Team USA profile:
Michael is getting closer on his 3A this season - think he landed at least one cleanly in a summer comp. I really loved his "Found/Tonight" SP last season but this year he's using "Never Enough" which is not a fave song of mine. ;) ...

👍 Michael Xie's 3Ab1 received +0.40 GOE in 2022 CCIA SP in June. 💪

Michael's expressive skating at 2021 Junior Cup was a revelation for me, and I have been his fan ever since.
It is very exciting that he is reaching new heights this season. 👏

mtnskater

So excited that Michael Xie landed his triple axel in the free in Courcheval :cheer2::40beers:

Looking forward to when we get to see him skate again. Does he have a second JGP assignment?

Also good solid effort by 14 year old L. Kanshecki in his JGP debut. (I probably butchered the spelling).

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So excited that Michael Xie landed his triple axel in the free in Courcheval :cheer2::40beers:

Looking forward to when we get to see him skate again. Does he have a second JGP assignment?
Not yet, but the assignments for the final 4 JGPs have yet to be announced.

Hopefully Lucas Broussard will skate well tonight in his FS at the Sherwood Invitational - he had a great SP last night - and earn one of the open assignments.

Sylvia

TBD
Not yet, but the assignments for the final 4 JGPs have yet to be announced.
Final 3 JGPs (Gdansk 1, Gdansk 2, Egna).
Hopefully Lucas Broussard will skate well tonight in his FS at the Sherwood Invitational - he had a great SP last night - and earn one of the open assignments.
Copying over from the U.S. Club & NQS Competitions thread in the Kiss & Cry section:
Lucas Broussard now has the highest NQS total score among the Junior men - 210.95, landing 6 triples through Lutz (assume one of his triple Lutzes in the second half was supposed to be in combo with the 3T) - link to his FS protocol: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/30631/SEGM008.html [...]
Same person has copied his FS from the livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tumjx8LpzM
His music begins with the main title theme from The Leftovers by Max Richter (I thought it sounded familiar) and ends with "Compassion" by Ilya Beshevli (thanks to my pal who used the Shazam app!).
Broussard's programs were choreographed by Corrie Martin who has worked with him since the beginning of his career, IIRC.
Two judges gave him +5 for the choreographic step sequence in his FS.

ETA:
Also good solid effort by 14 year old L. Kanshecki in his JGP debut. (I probably butchered the spelling).
Lucius Kazanecki. :) His Team USA profile: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/figure-skating/roster/lucius-kazanecki/716

I was happy to see Michael Xie's opening 3A in his FS as well (though wondering why 1 judge gave him -4 GOE when the other 6 gave him +1 +2 0 +1 0 +2 +1 0).

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
There's only six open JGP spots left.

Who has one assignment so far:
Xie, 5th at Courcheval JGP #1 180.95, probably getting a second to aid his development
Kazanecki, 8th at Courcheval JGP #1, 167.85, probably one and done
Kovar, JGP #2
Zharkov, JGP #2
Haugeto JGP #3
Yampolsky JGP #3
Annis JGP #4
Strommer JGP #4

If I was USFS, other than telling Broussard to pack his bags for JGP #5, I would want to wait as long as possible to see how these skaters perform before making the final assignments.

Stephanie

If I was USFS, other than telling Broussard to pack his bags for JGP #5, I would want to wait as long as possible to see how these skaters perform before making the final assignments.
USFS had submit the JGP#5 entries on Friday. Given that Broussard hadn’t competed by then I’m not sure he’ll be an option since USFS seems to refuse to list skaters even as subs if they haven’t competed yet. Hopefully I’ll be proven wrong when the entries come out on Tuesday!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Posted in this thread on July 26:
Michael XIE (won FS & 2nd overall in the U.S. Junior Team Cup in Milwaukee earlier this month) and Lucius KAZANECKI (4th place in Milwaukee) will make their respective JGP debuts for Team USA, August 24-27 in Courchevel, France. :) Kazanecki was added to the ISP in late June.

The 8 alternates (top 10 men's finishers in Milwaukee along with Xie & Kazanecki), as listed alphabetically in the ISU entries:
William ANNIS
Kirk HAUGETO (competed Novice earlier this summer & was invited to the Junior Team Cup after being added to the ISP in late June)
Jonathan HILDEBRANDT
Kai KOVAR
Taira SHINOHARA
Beck STROMMER
Robert YAMPOLSKY
Maxim ZHARKOV
Kovar, JGP #2
Zharkov, JGP #2
Haugeto JGP #3
Yampolsky JGP #3
Annis JGP #4
Strommer JGP #4
USFS had [to] submit the JGP#5 entries on Friday. Given that Broussard hadn’t competed by then I’m not sure he’ll be an option since USFS seems to refuse to list skaters even as subs if they haven’t competed yet.
Right.

Two new alternates were added to JGP #4 in Armenia after they competed at Cranberry Cup International in Senior and Junior, respectively:
Joseph KLEIN
Jacob SANCHEZ

Last edited:

Karen-W

USFS had submit the JGP#5 entries on Friday. Given that Broussard hasn’t competed by then I’m not sure he’ll be an option since USFS seems to refuse to list skaters even as subs if they haven’t competed yet. Hopefully I’ll be proven wrong when the entries come out on Tuesday!
Yeah, I noticed that when I was looking at the entries & subs for 2, 3 & 4. It's kind of crazy.

Sylvia

TBD
Will Annis WD from Cranberry after having competed at the Junior Cup in Milwaukee in July. Hopefully he will be ready to go to Yerevan because it I assume it would be difficult for one of the alternates to get a visa quickly.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Its kind of funny to say this about a skater with no 3axel, but Lucas would be worth sending to Skate America if he had senior programs, and could actually place decently with the way he skated at Sherwood. I guess he could end up at JGP 6 and 7...Anyway, I guess the SA spot will go to Tomoki unless someone else does something in the next week or 2.

Stephanie

mtnskater

At the very least USFS should get Lucas Broussard assigned to 2 junior Grand Prix events. He would likely have a great shot to make the final. Maybe he is coming back from injury but he looked devine at Sherwood. So solid on his beautiful jumps, gorgeous line and posture. Lovely spins, with stretched camel spin positions we have not seen from anyone in a long time ♥️🤩 He looks to have grown and matured since I last saw him. Is he 16 now?

maureenfarone

At the very least USFS should get Lucas Broussard assigned to 2 junior Grand Prix events. He would likely have a great shot to make the final. Maybe he is coming back from injury but he looked devine at Sherwood. So solid on his beautiful jumps, gorgeous line and posture. Lovely spins, with stretched camel spin positions we have not seen from anyone in a long time ♥️🤩 He looks to have grown and matured since I last saw him. Is he 16 now?
His birthday is June 15, 2006 so yes he is 16...and I hope he gets 2 JGP events.

Sylvia

TBD
Lucas Broussard began attempting 3A in competition last season when he was 15: 3Aq fall in SP and 3A (-2.17 GOE) when he won the silver at JGP Courchevel #1; 3A<< fall in SP and 3A +1.26 GOE in his 2nd JGP in Krasnoyarsk (8th overall with ISU PB scores of 198.77 total, 64.00 in SP and 134.77 5th in FS - Ted B. spoke highly of him afterwards): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaMrOD-Dzp0
He had qualified for 2022 Nationals and was selected for Junior Worlds but WD from both. :(

He looks like he may have grown even taller and so I trust his coaching team (Hosier & Martin) not to "rush" the 3A back into his programs until they think he's ready. I see I'm not alone in thinking he has skating qualities that are quite special :) and I hope to be able to watch him develop without major injuries in the years ahead.

ETA - look how small Lucas was won when he won the 2019 U.S. Juvenile Boys national title just 3+ years ago (scroll down for the podium pic; Jonathan Hildebrandt won the bronze that year):
Lucas Broussard captured the title with a career-high 66.01 points in his free skate, topping the field by over seven points. The Eastern Pacific Coast Sectional champion was the top qualifier coming into the competition and improved his sectional score by over six points. The 12-year-old landed a triple Salchow and seven double jumps in his clean skate to Eduard Lalo's "Cello Concerto."
"My favorite part is being here and getting to see everyone on the ice," Broussard said. "It has been really fun. I felt really good today. I'm really happy."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
USFS had submit the JGP#5 entries on Friday. Given that Broussard hadn’t competed by then I’m not sure he’ll be an option since USFS seems to refuse to list skaters even as subs if they haven’t competed yet. Hopefully I’ll be proven wrong when the entries come out on Tuesday!
JGP #5 Gdansk (1) entries are published... U.S. men listed:

27 Lucius KAZANECKI USA 22 (appears to be a placeholder since his name is not listed on USFS' Assignments page like the others)
28 Michael XIE USA 22
William ANNIS USA 22 S
Lucas BROUSSARD USA 22 S :)
Kirk HAUGETO USA 22 S
Jonathan HILDEBRANDT USA 22 S
Joseph KLEIN USA 22 S
Kai KOVAR USA 22 S
Jacob SANCHEZ USA 22 S
Taira SHINOHARA USA 22 S
Beck STROMMER USA 22 S
Robert YAMPOLSKY USA 22 S
Maxim ZHARKOV USA 22 S

Karen-W

27 Lucius KAZANECKI USA 22 (appears to be a placeholder since his name is not listed on USFS' Assignments page like the others)
28 Michael XIE USA 22
William ANNIS USA 22 S
Lucas BROUSSARD USA 22 S :)
Kirk HAUGETO USA 22 S
Joseph KLEIN USA 22 S
Kai KOVAR USA 22 S
Jacob SANCHEZ USA 22 S
Taira SHINOHARA USA 22 S
Beck STROMMER USA 22 S
Robert YAMPOLSKY USA 22 S
Maxim ZHARKOV USA 22 S
Oh, this gives me hope that it will wind up going to Broussard!

Sylvia

TBD
The 4 U.S. men listed for the first Challenger Series event, U.S. Classic, Sept. 12-15, in Lake Placid, are:
Jimmy MA
Ilia MALININ
Camden PULKINEN
Eric SJOBERG
Subs (2):
Goku ENDO
Samuel MINDRA
2 U.S. men assigned to Lombardia Trophy, Sept. 15-18, in Bergamo:
Tomoki HIWATASHI
Dinh TRAN (CS debut)
Subs:
Joseph KLEIN
Samuel MINDRA

1 man assigned to Nebelhorn Trophy, Sept. 21-24, in Oberstdorf:
Liam KAPEIKIS (CS debut)
Sub: Samuel MINDRA

Karen-W

JGP #6 Gdansk Poland entries are up - https://results.isu.org/events/jgppol2022_JuniorMen.htm
26 Kai KOVAR USA USA 22 (appears to be a placeholder since his name is not listed on USFS' Assignments page)
27 Robert YAMPOLSKY USA 22
William ANNIS USA 22 S
Lucas BROUSSARD USA 22 S
Kirk HAUGETO USA 22 S
Lucius KAZANECKI USA 22 S
Joseph KLEIN USA 22 S
Jacob SANCHEZ USA 22 S
Taira SHINOHARA USA 22 S
Beck STROMMER USA 22 S
Michael XIE USA 22 S
Maxim ZHARKOV USA 22 S

Also the Ondrej Nepela Trophy Challenger entries are up - https://results.isu.org/events/cssvk2022_Men.htm
18 Eric SJOBERG USA USA 13 (appears to be a placeholder since his name is not listed on USFS' Assignments page)
Goku ENDO USA 22 S
Joseph KLEIN USA 22 S

Stephanie

As many of us hoped, Lucas Broussard has been added to the Gdansk 1 JGP (replacing placeholder Lucius Kazanecki) :cheer2:

Unfortunately Will Annis has withdrawn from Yerevan and has been replaced by Joseph Klein.

These are both per the ISU entry lists (thanks to anythingGOEs on Twitter)

Sylvia

TBD
Broussard's assignment to Gdansk 1 has now been confirmed on the USFS international assignments page :)
Woo-hoo! :)

For some reason, Will Annis' name is still listed for JGP #4 in Armenia and Joseph Klein's name has not replaced him on USFS' Assignments page today even though the change was made in the ISU entries earlier today (Sept. 7): https://results.isu.org/events/jgparm2022_JuniorMen.htm
ETA: Never mind - the change was just made on USFS' Assignments page!

I also noticed yesterday that all the U.S. entries published on the ISU website for Ondrej Nepela Memorial were added on USFS' Assignments page except for Eric Sjoberg: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...23-international-assignments-and-results.aspx

Fingers crossed that 2 men who were not at 2022 U.S. Nationals will compete in the NQS competitions they registered for this weekend - Maxim Naumov is listed in Friday's Senior Men's SP starting order, along with Philip Baker (12th in Junior at 2022 Nationals) and Nathan Chapple (3rd highest NQS total score in Senior to date), for Middle Atlantics in NYC. Naumov last competed at the U.S. Classic at his home rink one year ago.

Daniel Martynov, who withdrew from a JGP last year and subsequently did not enter any U.S. qualifying competitions (assume due to injury?) is listed in Friday's Senior Men's SP starting order, along with Joonsoo Kim (also did not compete last season; 13th in Senior at 2021 U.S. Nationals) and Joseph Klein, for the Greater Chicagoland Fall Invitational in Evanston, IL.

(Edited to add more info about Baker, Chapple and Kim.)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the Grand Prix Assignments page:
Tomoki has been added to the British GP per the USFS international assignments page. Good job by USFS in waiting as long as possible to assign the third Skate America spot. Now someone else can go.
Perhaps this is why Eric Sjoberg's name was not added to Nepela yesterday with the others? He is listed now for Skate America!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information