ISU Junior Grand Prix 2022-23 announcement

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Tom Wehrle, who was the director of the JGP broadcasts from 2014-2021, posted this really cool time lapse video celebrating his experiences over the years traveling to the JGP events.

ice coverage

Tom Wehrle, who was the director of the JGP broadcasts from 2014-2021, posted this really cool time lapse video celebrating his experiences over the years traveling to the JGP events.

Thank you for sharing this very enjoyable video from Tom Wehrle! 🤗
He wove together so many wonderful images and personal memories that I must go back and rewatch to catch some that went by too fast the first time.
His tone of absolute gratitude for an amazing ride made me teary. 😭

(As a fan of the JGP streaming, I also am sad to think that the production team is changing for 2022-23.)

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Can you refresh my Kahlúa I can’t find the junior Grand Prix on Peacock or YouTube with Ted Barton. I can’t remember where I was watching this last year it was on one of these two platforms…

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I just checked the protocols for Nakamura's free skate and he landed 9 triples! Was he penalised for it, because there appears to be an asterisk next to his second triple lutz?

Yes, repeated the Axel and toe already at that point so the second Lutz received no points.

The only way around it with that setup would've been to do a 2T or 2Lo on the end of his 3A.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Yes, repeated the Axel and toe already at that point so the second Lutz received no points.

The only way around it with that setup would've been to do a 2T or 2Lo on the end of his 3A.
Hopefully, Nakamura and his team remedy this oversight before his next event. You simply can't leave precious points on the table at this level.

I'm reminded of when Nobunari Oda lost world bronze in 2011 because he included the triple toe loop three times in his free skate.

tony

Hopefully, Nakamura and his team remedy this oversight before his next event. You simply can't leave precious points on the table at this level.

I'm reminded of when Nobunari Oda lost world bronze in 2011 because he included the triple toe loop three times in his free skate.
Don't want to drift the thread too far, but I think Oda had at least three different situations where counting the jumps incorrectly cost him a medal or a higher placement. And back in 'his' day, the penalty was much more severe. In 2011, an opening 3T+3T and then a 3A+3T lost him points on the entire combination because of the third 3T. 12.6 points base value gone off the start. At least now, only the jump in question is penalized.

ETA- one of those other instances was losing out on bronze at 2006 Worlds for an invalid combination, as well.

Last edited:

Hedwig

Antique member
the worst was when a jump was valued as downgraded and then became a jump with one less rotation and the skaters did not know wether or not their jumps would be downgraded.
So a quad toe which was underrotated would then be counted as a triple toe and against the Zayak rule if you did other 3toes later on.
that is how Oda lost out on the sole Olympic spot back in the day
they quickly changed this rule, though.

tony

the worst was when a jump was valued as downgraded and then became a jump with one less rotation and the skaters did not know wether or not their jumps would be downgraded.
So a quad toe which was underrotated would then be counted as a triple toe and against the Zayak rule if you did other 3toes later on.
that is how Oda lost out on the sole Olympic spot back in the day
they quickly changed this rule, though.
IIRC, Oda did four combinations at that Japanese Nationals, but was originally scored without any penalty. When it was pointed out, voiding out the fourth combo put him behind Takahashi.

So not a case of a downgrade here that turned into a repeated jump; but that, too, was an issue that made no sense. By 2007 they had the <

Sylvia

TBD
I am glad to see Hiro Yoshida tweet this series of comments yesterday (especially the 3rd one that I've bolded below & since re-tweeted): https://twitter.com/patinaggio/status/1563670585221255169

Really hurts to see some of the hateful comments posted about the #JGPFigure skaters on social media. What is wrong with people? This is the highlight of their careers for some of the skaters. Why does anyone feel the need to ruin it? Do they get pleasure from that?

People should realise that it might be a joke to them, but it affects the athletes mental well-being. If you do it intentionally you are the lowest of the low.

It’s wonderful to be the winners or a medallist. However each skater has their own objective when competing and each skater deserves respect for that. It’s why #JGPFigure means so much to the all the young skaters.

Remember that these skaters are teenagers. If you can’t find anything nice to say, then perhaps you should remain silent. If you can’t do that, then you are just a bully and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Dobre

I see the chat function is working on the youtube video that I just watched of the ladies free. Wasn't that turned off during the JGP at some point in the past?

Sylvia

TBD
I see the chat function is working on the youtube video that I just watched of the ladies free. Wasn't that turned off during the JGP at some point in the past?
Yes.

I posted this in the JGP Courchevel competition thread in Kiss & Cry during Friday's livestream:
ISU has a Poll in the livestream chat :D "Should the chat remain open?" Currently at 1,255 votes:
Yes 59%
No 41%

Andrea82

Bashynska & Beaumont, Kudryavtseva & Karankevich, Fradji & Forneaux, Tkachenko & Kiliakov, Neset & Markelov. I could see someone getting switched out of this lineup. Any of those teams could have a shot at the Final.

Tkachenko & Kiliakov pulled out now.

barbarafan

Yes.

I posted this in the JGP Courchevel competition thread in Kiss & Cry during Friday's livestream:
1}There was a warning on the chat- no politics etc. for obvious reasons.
2.) There are usually posters????? ads?? for hot dating etc. in previous yrs and some showed up here and there in the chat this time. Some comments were sort of borderline.....(not a direct quote here) switch over to the Russian competition for good skating but not too bad.
As usual the real straight skating fans will end up suffering for the as*wipes who have a great need to ruin things for others.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
Looking at the results of the junior grand prix, I am surprised that 5th place was the best American singles skaters could manage in this field devoid of Russians.

toddlj

Looking at the results of the junior grand prix, I am surprised that 5th place was the best American singles skaters could manage in this field devoid of Russians.
Claire Seo was the headliner for the US team and on a good day she would have definitely been a medal contender. Unfortunately, she's struggling with consistency at the moment. Hope she comes back strong.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
What @toddlj said regarding the women is accurate. We're a little thin on the junior men's side right now, with both Annis and Broussard coming back from injuries it would seem. I'd say the US singles skaters finished about where I thought they would, given the strength of the Japanese singles skaters at the junior level right now, plus, Korea always manages to have very successful juniors. The Russians aren't the end all-be all of junior level skating internationally. ;)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Claire Seo was the headliner for the US team and on a good day she would have definitely been a medal contender. Unfortunately, she's struggling with consistency at the moment. Hope she comes back strong.
I hope so too, for Clare. Remember that Clare won bronze at this very JGP event a year ago…but that was minus Team Japan (entire JGP 2021 season) and Russians (out for the two Courchevel events). In a way, Clare’s total presentation has improved, IMO.

Hedwig

Antique member
Japanese ladies have been very very strong for even longer than the Russian ladies and Korea often has quite a few young girls who are very promising.
Added a new stronghold from Estonia and we have a really interesting JPG season :inavoid:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Skate Canada has confirmed more JGP assignments.

SEPTEMBER 21-24, 2022
YEREVAN, ARMENIA

MEN
DAVID BONDAR
ANTHONY PARADIS

ICE DANCE
NADIIA BASHYNSKA / PETER BEAUMONT
DANA SABATINI-SPECIALE / NICHOLAS BUELOW

And

SEPTEMBER 28-OCTOBER 1, 2022
GDANSK, POLAND

MEN
ALEC GUINZBOURG
RIO MORITA

WOMEN
KARA YUN

ICE DANCE
CHAIMA BEN KHELIFA / EVEREST ZHU
HAILEY YU / BRENDAN GIANG

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Not on the Skate Canada assignments page, but coach Andrew Evans posted that Hetty Shi was assigned to JGP Gdansk (I assume #2 as Yun is assigned to #1).

RoseRed

Not on the Skate Canada assignments page, but coach Andrew Evans posted that Hetty Shi was assigned to JGP Gdansk (I assume #2 as Yun is assigned to #1).

Fiona Bombardier is the only skater on the subs list for Canadian Jr women who doesn't have one yet, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her get the last spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information