2022-23 ISU Grand Prix Assignments are published

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I'm a little disappointed that Camden Pulkinen will be at Skate Canada instead of Skate America. Overall prefer the men's lineup in Canada to that in Norwood, but that's just my personal preference. Women's lineup at SA, on the other hand, is much to my liking, especially with Sakamoto, Lee, and Park in the field.

I am SO relieved and excited that Peng/Jin are continuing!! This could be their season to finally medal at Worlds!! And of course excited to see Knierim/Frazier as well.

The dance rosters look so strong ... can't wait to see this year's events in dance. Very happy that the Browns are moving up and that so many U.S. teams got spots!

P.S. So it looks like the Skate America TBA dance spot will likely(?) be between Bratti/Somerville, Cesanek/Yehorov, and Pate/Bye, as they are the U.S. dance teams with just one assignment.
Same about Camden. He deserved a home spot. Also wish Green/Parsons or one of the MIDA teams were at SA instead of H/B. The dance and men’s fields at SC are more to my liking aside from C/B and M/T in dance and Ilia/Yuma/Roman in men. In non Covid times I’d be trying to figure out how to double dip SA and SC right about now.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
SkAm TBD spots - I expect the competition will be between the skaters listed below... Anyone else I'm forgetting/missing?

Men - Hiwatashi, Sjoberg, Naumov, Paniot?
Women - Izzo, Andrews, Wang, Ziegler?
Pairs - Plazas/Fernandez, Kam/Meyh, Mokhova/Mokhov (is she old enough for ISU senior yet?), Collier/Mitrofanov?, Hanns/Neudecker?
Dance - Bratti/Somerville, Pate/Bye, Cesanek/Yehorov, Ling/Wein, McNamara/Spiridonov, Zingas/Kolesnik

Carolla5501

So from reading on here I was under the impression that we expected the ISU to 'Invite" Russia and then throw them back out prior to each event. Guess I had that wrong!

Dobre

More than a little shocked that Komatsubara/Koleto and Kazakova/Reviya only received one GP assignment on the initial list!
They are right there in that one-spot zone. Soucisse & Firus, Wolfkostin & Chen, and the Browns are the only teams below K&R with 2 (and they have the guaranteed berths from the WS list + SA & SC to barter for them).

USA got all nine dance teams on the list. That's the most ever for one country, I think. Pretty sure 8 was the max previously. It's nice that they didn't stop short and skip Cesanek & Yehorov and/or Pate & Bye as I thought they would.

I'm glad to see Nazarova & Nikitin listed.🤞

P.S. So it looks like the Skate America TBA dance spot will likely(?) be between Bratti/Somerville, Cesanek/Yehorov, and Pate/Bye, as they are the U.S. dance teams with just one assignment.
Let's see who shows for Lake Placid. (They'll probably let them all sit on the replacement list for a while).

Last edited:

Stephanie

IIRC at least for ladies the SA host spot last year was determined by a skate off at Champs Camp, so perhaps that's how USFS will make their decisions again.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
IIRC at least for ladies the SA host spot last year was determined by a skate off at Champs Camp, so perhaps that's how USFS will make their decisions again.
STARR ANDREWS, baby!!! 👊
Didn’t she get the TBD spot last year? She should get it again. She has the sponsor backing & human interest story.

clairecloutier

SkAm TBD spots - I expect the competition will be between the skaters listed below... Anyone else I'm forgetting/missing?

Men - Hiwatashi, Sjoberg, Naumov, Paniot?

This men's SA pick is going to be interesting. A little surprised to see Kapeikis immediately named to the roster over any of these other guys (particularly Hiwatashi). Tomoki was #56 on last year's ISU season's-best list vs. #73 for Kapeikis. Plus Tomoki has a quad, whereas I think Kapeikis doesn't?? (If wrong, please correct me.) Makes me wonder if there is perhaps an injury issue with Hiwatashi ... His sole GP (NHK) is one of the last 2 events.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
This men's SA pick is going to be interesting. A little surprised to see Kapeikis immediately named to the roster over any of these other guys (particularly Hiwatashi). Tomoki was #56 on last year's ISU season's-best list vs. #73 for Kapeikis. Plus Tomoki has a quad, whereas I think Kapeikis doesn't?? (If wrong, please correct me.) Makes me wonder if there is perhaps an injury issue with Hiwatashi ... His sole GP (NHK) is one of the last 2 events.
For this and maybe the K/K dance situation, it’s possible that they are hoping Hiwatashi gets a second event after withdrawals/changes and that they are able to keep the TBA for yet another person. If you give the TBA to someone high up on the list of alternates, then you maybe sacrifice what could be an additional entry.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
The SB list. (I edited my comment above also to add the Browns and Wolfkostin & Chen. The teams with the top 24 WS spots all got a second berth. Otherwise, the teams with 2nd invites are all above Kazakova & Reviya on the SB list).
OK, that makes sense. I tend to get my lists mixed up. 😊

mtnskater

Surprised about Ilia M. v Yuma K. right out of the gate at Skate America! Did USFS want this? Also Kaori v Isabeau will be such a contrast. Glad to see Kneirim and Frazier continuing. All of the U.S. fields are depleted in the first post olympic year, except dance which is absolutely loaded. Will be exciting to see the first year seniors and how they fare on the GP! Especially Isabeau and Ilia…and several of the dance teams.

Sad that Mariah must have decided not to compete after all. And don’t flame me, but I’m still bummed Alysa called it quits at 16 after one year senior. I’ll eventually get over it. I sure hope Bradie can make a comeback.

I’ll be excited to see if Camden P. has retained his newly budding consistency. And great that Gogo is competing and so many Korean ladies. Would love to see Paniot and Sjoberg.

I’m still in denial that Nathan may be gone for good. And Vincent too. Both are still so young. At least we still have Shoma.

Dobre

Japan threw away their 3rd dance spot anyway. My best guess--if it's not a mistake--is that Komatsubara & Koleto would rather go somewhere else & not have this head-to-head on the GP.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Any official word on streaming or telecasting any of this - Sr or jr?

I sure hope that the ISU livestreams the Jrs, with Ted as host.

Hope that Peacock (or something, whatever it will be called this year) livestreams the seniors.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I'm thrilled that Kait & Jean-Luc got SkAm! They've earned it after being the #3 US team the last quad.

I agree that both the USFS with Hiwatashi and JSF with KoKo are probably hoping for a 2nd invitation somewhere other than their home event - I think the likelihood of that for KoKo is higher than that for Hiwatashi, but we'll see.

I think a big reason that a lot of skaters only got one assignment out of the gate was to keep the Alternates List pretty substantial and lengthy so that the host feds have plenty of options.

I'm a bit surprised that GBR only used one host spot for women - seems like Nina Povey would have certainly warranted consideration.

It's been so much fun the past few hours seeing skaters' reactions to the GP assignments on IG.
Dance - Bratti/Somerville, Pate/Bye, Cesanek/Yehorov, Ling/Wein, McNamara/Spiridonov, Zingas/Kolesnik
Gonna be Diana Davis & Partner/Husband of course :EVILLE:
LOL - nope. They need to sit out at least a year from their last competition, so they won't be eligible to represent another country until Feb 13, 2023. ;)

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Green/Parsons are gonna face Bratti/Somerville, Cesanek/Yehorov, Chock/Bates and Wolfkostin/Chen on the GP. Nice to see that it won’t be the same Americans facing the same Americans at their 2 GPs (except for Browns and C/P).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information