Impact of Russia-Ukraine War on sports worldwide

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
But of course they will seek to try to overthrow/oust Putin by joining and speaking out for his ouster so they can play their sport again
And jeopardize their funding? To say nothing of any other punishment Putin might rain upon them?
To speak out about politics in Russia you had better have more than a pair of skates!

AxelAnnie

Train for the channel one cup?
Training to keep in shape. Training to hone in the fine points. Training to learn new skills. There is training for an event.....and then there is daily training to keep current, try new entrances, exits.

I don't think Russia is going away any time soon. It is still there, and Russian skaters will skate again.
But of course they will seek to try to overthrow/oust Putin by joining and speaking out for his ouster so they can play their sport again
I think you must be kidding. I can't find any athletes trying to overthrow any government. Although if the USFSA skaters wanted to overthrow the US government.....I would send a check.

caseyedwards

Training to keep in shape. Training to hone in the fine points. Training to learn new skills. There is training for an event.....and then there is daily training to keep current, try new entrances, exits.

I don't think Russia is going away any time soon. It is still there, and Russian skaters will skate again.

I think you must be kidding. I can't find any athletes trying to overthrow any government. Although if the USFSA skaters wanted to overthrow the US government.....I would send a check.
The Russian athlete has I guess 3 choices.
1.retire from sports
2. Train for nothing
3. Enter politics to try to create new government for Russia.

caseyedwards

Skate for Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, etc, etc, etc.
If Russia did this and funded it wouldn’t all skaters from Kazakhstan Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan be banned? Maybe they should try it. I bet all those countries would be banned if Russia did that

ninjapirate

If Russia did this and funded it wouldn’t all skaters from Kazakhstan Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan be banned? Maybe they should try it. I bet all those countries would be banned if Russia did that
The idea that athletes who switch countries will be hounded by governing bodies is far fetched. Possible but unlikely is that they may have to change training locations but rules that currently don't exist would have to be passed by governing bodies.

caseyedwards

The idea that athletes who switch countries will be hounded by governing bodies is far fetched. Possible but unlikely is that they may have to change training locations but rules that currently don't exist would have to be passed by governing bodies.
Wouldn’t they also have to change funding. No way scherbakova could be funded by anyone Russian

ninjapirate

Wouldn’t they also have to change funding. No way scherbakova could be funded by anyone Russian
It is a very good question how funding would continue, but there's no mechanism for someone to be banned for how they're funded.

Funding in Russia is given directly to coaches in a way that depends on how their skaters do. Skaters themselves are not directly funded. The state invests in coaches who get good results and not in the individual skaters themselves. Shcherbakova is not funded, Eteri or Sambo 70 is.

I could imagine someone like Adeliia Petrosian switching to Armenia and because her training mates continue to do well in internal competitions that nothing much would really change for her.

Also, a lot of these countries they'd be switching to have sports ministries and Olympic committees that can provide some financial support.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
It is a very good question how funding would continue, but there's no mechanism for someone to be banned for how they're funded.

Funding in Russia is given directly to coaches in a way that depends on how their skaters do. Skaters themselves are not directly funded. The state invests in coaches who get good results and not in the individual skaters themselves. Shcherbakova is not funded, Eteri or Sambo 70 is.
Not exactly true, the top skaters on the National team get a monthly salary, so they are directly funded.
The salary is in proportion to the skater's results at Nationals.

ninjapirate

Not exactly true, the top skaters on the National team get a monthly salary, so they are directly funded.
The salary is in proportion to the skater's results at Nationals.
Didn't know that. I did know that Olympic medalists get a monthly salary from the government.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Didn't know that. I did know that Olympic medalists get a monthly salary from the government.
The skaters on the National team sign a contract for the season, the 12 months until June.
The salary is pretty comfortable amount for the National medallists.

In addition to the salary, the Fed pays for coaching, ice time, boots/blades, costumes, choreography, and competitions.
At major competitions, the skaters also get a daily allowance for food and drink etc.

The skaters on the reserve team get a much smaller salary, which is nowhere near liveable.

In return, the Fed takes 10% of all prize money and the coaches take a further 20% of all prize money/earnings.

Russia treats its sportsmen well.

Last edited:

Vagabond

I could imagine someone like Adeliia Petrosian switching to Armenia and because her training mates continue to do well in internal competitions that nothing much would really change for her.

Also, a lot of these countries they'd be switching to have sports ministries and Olympic committees that can provide some financial support.
Armenia, however, may not be one of those countries provide financial support. IIRC, Tina Garabedian and Simon Proulx-Sénécal have said that they do not receive any financial assistance from the Armenian government.

AxelAnnie

If Russia did this and funded it wouldn’t all skaters from Kazakhstan Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan be banned? Maybe they should try it. I bet all those countries would be banned if Russia did that.
Why would they be banned? There has to be someone in the FS world who can and would make it equitable. They are either part of Russia, or they are not. If they can't agree, they can go to the Hague - the International Court of Justice, and get it untangled.
'
The Court has a twofold role: to settle, in accordance with international law, legal disputes submitted to it by States (contentious cases) and to give advisory opinions (advisory procedures) on legal questions referred to it by duly authorized United Nations organs and specialized agencies.

"In contentious proceedings, when a dispute is brought before the Court by a unilateral application filed by one State against another State, the names of the parties in the official title of the case are separated by the abbreviation v. for the Latin versus (e.g., Cameroon v. Nigeria). When a dispute is submitted to the Court on the basis of a special agreement between two States, the names of the parties are separated by an oblique stroke (e.g., Indonesia/Malaysia)."

The first case entered in the General List of the Court (Corfu Channel (United Kingdom v. Albania)) was submitted on May 1947.

The problem seems to be with Putin. He is allowed to run wild. And much of that falls at our feet. The US, UK, Finland, and Sweeden.

If one looks back at history, Russia (and certainly Putin) have acted unilaterally. We are all on this one planet. If I could get my teenagers to not kill each other, Putin could be a piece of cake.

BTW check out how the US was formed. Everyone did not agree about everything, but recognized that they could co-exist with the other states, and that that action would make them all stronger.

Banning athletes from competing is directed at Russia....not at the skaters.

reut

Out of concern for the safety and well-being of all participating players, officials, media, and fans, the IIHF Council has decided to withdraw the hosting rights of the 2023 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship from Russia, in accordance with IIHF Bylaw 9.

The decision to withdraw the event was made during the latest IIHF Council meeting held on Tuesday, 26 April in Zurich, Switzerland. The tournament was scheduled to take place in St. Petersburg, Russia from 5 to 21 May 2023.

Reasoning is lame but whatever

caseyedwards

More direct orders for Russian athletes to become political activists to try to overthrow Putin if they ever want to play again.

caseyedwards

What makes Russian athletes so special that they should be exempt from sanctions unlike ordinary Russians?
Because all sports organizations never punished all athletes for one policy of a leader before. It’s never been done. With South Africa it was about the whole system of government but with Russia and Putin all athletic organizations are demanding Russian athletes do something to end the Ukraine war. It’s been sports are not politics and a country is separated from its politics

airgelaal

Because all sports organizations never punished all athletes for one policy of a leader before. It’s never been done. With South Africa it was about the whole system of government but with Russia and Putin all athletic organizations are demanding Russian athletes do something to end the Ukraine war. It’s been sports are not politics and a country is separated from its politics
As citizens of Russia, they must do something.
War is not politics.

nlloyd

I don't get this distinction at all. In South Africa, the sports boycott was about the policy of apartheid that was implemented by South African presidents from the National Party.

Many commentators believe that the sports boycott played a key role in bringing an end to apartheid, even more so than economic sanctions. Such was the importance of sports to white South Africans.

And in South Africa, there was the same narrative by apartheid supporters of keeping sports and politics separate, keeping religion and politics separate etc., when of course "politics" and "political" referred simply to any politics or political dispensation that different from the current one.

caseyedwards

I don't get this distinction at all. In South Africa, the sports boycott was about the policy of apartheid that was implemented by South African presidents from the National Party.

Many commentators believe that the sports boycott played a key role in bringing an end to apartheid, even more so than economic sanctions. Such was the importance of sports to white South Africans.

And in South Africa, there was the same narrative by apartheid supporters of keeping sports and politics separate, keeping religion and politics separate etc., when of course "politics" and "political" referred simply to any politics or political dispensation that different from the current one.
The war in Ukraine isn’t part of any political parties platform. No Russian voted for it. It is the choice of Putin and Putin only as of now. No Russian ever voted for war in Ukraine ever. It’s not like the white people of South Africa only voting for the apartheid parties. It’s just like bush choosing the war in Iraq. It’s a choice of an elected leader but not something they ever campaigned on. All white South Africans knew they were voting to never allow blacks people to vote or have any power (except in designated homelands like Transkei I guess but that was to exclude them from RSA)

And who says Putin was actually chosen by Russians anyway? The elections there are pretty much fake. So why you punishing Russians for living in an undemocratic dictatorship where they can only change policies if they kill Putin? And why are all sports bodies now pretty much demanding Russian athletes try to kill Putin? Yikes

Last edited:

airgelaal

The war in Ukraine isn’t part of any political parties platform. No Russian voted for it. It is the choice of Putin and Putin only as of now. No Russian ever voted for war in Ukraine ever. It’s not like the white people of South Africa only voting for the apartheid parties. It’s just like bush choosing the war in Iraq. It’s a choice of an elected leader but not something they ever campaigned on. All white South Africans knew they were voting to never allow blacks people to vote or have any power (except in designated homelands like Transkei I guess but that was to exclude them from RSA)

And who says Putin was actually chosen by Russians anyway? The elections there are pretty much fake. So why you punishing Russians for living in an undemocratic dictatorship where they can only change policies if they kill Putin? And why are all sports bodies now pretty much demanding Russian athletes try to kill Putin? Yikes
I do not remember the Russians actively protesting. Oh yes, they are supposed to be afraid...
Ukrainians are dying because of their cowardice. International competitions in exchange for the lives of Ukrainians. This is the minimum they have to pay.
And I personally know Russians who actively support this war and Putin. So it's not just his war.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

This argument is stupid.

caseyedwards

I do not remember the Russians actively protesting. Oh yes, they are supposed to be afraid...
Ukrainians are dying because of their cowardice. International competitions in exchange for the lives of Ukrainians. This is the minimum they have to pay.
And I personally know Russians who actively support this war and Putin. So it's not just his war.
International Sports was always suppose to be about a country not being it’s government and the government policies. This is saying Russia can’t participate in sports unless all it’s people support or oppose certain things.

This argument is stupid.
So what is supposed to happen by banning all Russians? Putin is supposed to be like “oh no medvedev can’t play in Wimbledon better stop caring about Ukraine!”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information