Impact of Russia-Ukraine War on sports worldwide

Vagabond

This interview with Iryna Lishchynska, a Ukrainian who earned silver medals in the 1,500-meter run the 2008 Olympics and the 2007 World Championships in the 1500 meters, is in Ukrainian. She fled Donetsk in 2014 and has now fled Kyiv. She is married and has two young daughters.

Here's an automatic translation of one small part:

When asked why Russian athletes do not react to everything that is happening, the Ukrainian answered the following:
"They are all on state support. And their shirt is closer to the body. They probably think, 'Well, there's something going on. My house is on the edge - I don't know anything.' But my position on this is clear: if you don't report what war is terrible, it must be stopped, then you are an accomplice to this crime. All crimes are committed by the tacit consent of the crowd. Sport has always been in politics, because it is a sphere of influence. "
Apparently, "Their shirt is closer to the body," means that they must take care of their own needs first.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

MacMadame

Doing all the things

Karen-W

Why didn't they cancel it when the war started?
Well, if he hadn't put anything overtly supportive of Putin's War on his social media, would there necessarily be a cause for Speedo to cancel the contract (using the typical morals clause that's found in those things)?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Well, if he hadn't put anything overtly supportive of Putin's War on his social media, would there necessarily be a cause for Speedo to cancel the contract (using the typical morals clause that's found in those things)?
It just seems weird given that Russian athletes won't be able to compete anywhere and that Russia is being sanctioned. I wonder how many other Russian athletes still have sponsorship deals and if they violate the sanctions that have been set up.

Vagabond

It just seems weird given that Russian athletes won't be able to compete anywhere and that Russia is being sanctioned. I wonder how many other Russian athletes still have sponsorship deals and if they violate the sanctions that have been set up.
There are probably lots of Russian athletes (ice hockey and tennis players immediately come to mind) who live abroad, compete abroad, and have sponsorships.

airgelaal

Ukrainian refugee Leonid Stanislawski is the oldest active tennis player in the world 🙌🎾

This match was a dream come true for the 98-year-old, playing former world No. 2 Agnieszka Radwanska :love:

Karen-W

The issue, in my reading of the article, is that FIL's constitution doesn't have a mechanism to deal with this issue explicitly. I think this might be a similar issue facing the ISU, though it sounds like they are going to try and amend their constitution at the Congress in June. Until then, we might be in a state of limbo regarding the GP - though those assignments aren't finalized until late June/early July anyway, so it could be a matter of just waiting to confirm a new host after the changes to the ISU constitution are passed.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Oh, hell...

Oh hell doesn't even begin to cover this.

But if you lift the bans, and countries won't grant visas to Russians, then you're still keeping them out of competition.

If host countries do not issue visas to Russians, then oh well.

airgelaal

The Tennis Center of the Tennis Federation of Ukraine no longer exists. Officially

The war will throw back the sport of Ukraine, I can’t even imagine where. All sports. Professional, children's, amateur sports. There will be nowhere to train and there will be no money to pay for it. This is a disaster for Ukrainian sports. And I don't understand how one can sympathize with Russian athletes who have only lost the opportunity to participate in international competitions. And who knows for how long. Moreover, they continue to remain silent and consider themselves victims. They are victims of political discrimination. And, of course, they are not at all to blame for the destruction of Ukrainian sports.

caseyedwards

Organizations were able to ban South African athletes for decades over apartheid. So they should have something in their rules that lets them do this.
yeah but not every sporting organization has to decide what’s the proper behavior of Russia. Is it ok for them to keep crimea and Donetsk and Lohansk like it was before or do they have to leave any area Ukraine says is there’s now? And what about reparations? They have to announce all the policies the Russian government has to implement to be considered a proper moral government.

caseyedwards

That’s disgusting. It really turns every Russian athlete into a politician. And turns all athletes into politicians

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
That’s disgusting. It really turns every Russian athlete into a politician. And turns all athletes into politicians
I think that is a leap. Politician: "a person who is professionally involved in politics, especially as a holder of or a candidate for an elected office."

I don't see how you think the athletes are being turned into politicians. I would think just the opposite is true. I would imagine that they are not allowed to speak out about political anything.

"In an unusually strong statement Wimbledon expressed “sadness” that individual players would suffer, but stressed it wanted to play its part “to limit Russia’s global influence through the strongest means possible”. I am glad that someone has the courage to stand up for what is right, and punish those that are wreaking havoc on another country.

airgelaal

Russian and Belarusian players banned from Wimbledon and other British grass court tournaments this summer.

And Rublev's statement is soooo telling: I am an uneducated russian guy who knows nothing but tennis. I can't change anything, so here's your money and leave me alone. How is that not enough? This is discrimination!

I think more or less the same thing we will hear from any athlete from Russia. That is lies and manipulation. Like all Russian politics.

I think Alexandr Dolgopolov more accurately described everything that I think about such a statement.

caseyedwards

I think that is a leap. Politician: "a person who is professionally involved in politics, especially as a holder of or a candidate for an elected office."

I don't see how you think the athletes are being turned into politicians. I would think just the opposite is true. I would imagine that they are not allowed to speak out about political anything.

"In an unusually strong statement Wimbledon expressed “sadness” that individual players would suffer, but stressed it wanted to play its part “to limit Russia’s global influence through the strongest means possible”. I am glad that someone has the courage to stand up for what is right, and punish those that are wreaking havoc on another country.
But it’s probably true all athletes want to play their sport more than support any politician. The Russians are being asked to go back to Russia and seek to oust Putin.

caseyedwards

It turns them into propaganda pieces. If they were politicians, they'd be running for office or serving in office.
But of course they will seek to try to overthrow/oust Putin by joining and speaking out for his ouster so they can play their sport again

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information