Survivor S42

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I'm back to hating Tori.
I found this interview with her quite amusing. Some excerpts:

I sure as heck did not come all the way here to play that pretty nice, boring girl who does nothing.

As a therapist, I’m literally trained in the art of trust. . . . I know how to be warm, empathetic, open, and genuine with people to create that safe space. That’s what I do as a therapist, creating a safe space for people to be themselves, be authentic, and talk about real things. So I’m totally going to bring that into the game. That’s my social strategy.

I did not want people to peg me as just this pretty girl, or maybe a mean girl or someone who’s stuck up, because that’s not me at all. I have a servant’s heart. I love people.

I’ve gotten feedback before that I’m intimidating. And so that’s something I’m working on. That’s why I have this social strategy of being Tori the therapist on the island. Because outside of the therapy session, I’m loud and super extroverted. I can be dominant; I can be annoying; I can be the center of attention. But when I’m in therapy, it’s a more professional role. And I’m also much more calm and collected. I’m more chill. I don’t talk as much; I do a lot of listening.

And the kicker:

I think that self-awareness is probably my strongest attribute.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
well, the adjustments they made to the "turn back the clock" aspect made it a little better I guess - but honestly, with the person on exile in danger as is, anyone who doesn't change the outcome would be an idiot.

Of course the Survivor gods were smiling and let the easy target win immunity, and we finally got some interesting scrambling. There's a lot to unpack from that TC, especially Omar noticing Romeo's little shake of the head to tell Maryanne not to use her idol. And Drea arguing far more than necessary with Maryanne about their voting strategy.

Of course, the beetle was the true star of TC.

Jonathan is growing on me - but I wonder who will be kicking themselves over this when he goes on an immunity streak?

jamesy

delightful
well, the adjustments they made to the "turn back the clock" aspect made it a little better I guess - but honestly, with the person on exile in danger as is, anyone who doesn't change the outcome would be an idiot.
What adjustments did they make besides bringing in Applebee's?

Jenny

From the Bloc
I'm not watching this season but having checked the cast list I'm curious about one thing - are Omar and Maryanne working together?

I know the show sometimes puts different hometowns than where they actually live, but these two apparently live less than 15 mins apart. Doesn't mean they know each other of course, but they'd have a lot to connect them, and they were on the same original tribe. Plus there's a third Canadian Drea, curious about that too.

Hope y'all are otherwise enjoying the season :)

genevieve

Staff member
What adjustments did they make besides bringing in Applebee's?
Jeff told everyone that the exiled person would be given power, also gave the winning team the opportunity to send one of their own (maybe this was offered last season? Can't remember), and when they chose Rocksroy, asked them if they were realllllllllly sure they didn't want to send one of their own instead, which made someone on the losing team (Drea?) correctly guess what the power would be.

I have never eaten Applebee's in my life, but I would put on quite the sponsorship show to get food at that point. Best Survivor product placement ever was S2 when Tina went on about how much she just loves doRItos in her southern twang :lol:

Also - Jonathan is so good at everything, but man, he does not take losing well.

jamesy

delightful
Ah ok, yes, the Jeff warning, thank you. Season 41 felt like it was 3 years ago.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I'm not watching this season but having checked the cast list I'm curious about one thing - are Omar and Maryanne working together?
No. Omar has bonded with the person who most wants Maryanne gone.
Plus there's a third Canadian Drea, curious about that too.
Drea is Canadian? She is part of the Omar alliance but they are not, at least as of now, allied personally.

smurfy

I am liking Omar - something about him, a bit under the radar, nice guy, capable physically, good social - but also stealth - could win.

Rocksroy - didn't like him in the past - but his time in exile was interesting and glad he flipped the game.
crazy tribal - the 8 are all over the place.

sk8pics

No. Omar has bonded with the person who most wants Maryanne gone.
Who is that again? I’m enjoying the season but mixing up who’s working with whom,.
I am liking Omar - something about him, a bit under the radar, nice guy, capable physically, good social - but also stealth - could win.
I like him, too, though he reminds me of a rather clueless former coworker of mine, so I’m not sure what to think.

I was hoping Jonathon didn’t get voted out, but would not have been surprised if he had. He might go on an immunity winning streak but at some point there’ll be a challenge that is not so suited to him; he did, after all, lose the first individual immunity challenge so he’s not invincible. I actually thought Maryanne might get voted out and I was sort of hoping for that, not because I don’t like her, but because of the drama that would have ensued.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Who is that again? I’m enjoying the season but mixing up who’s working with whom.

Jonathan. They bonded over their differing but mutually strong religious beliefs and Omar's scrambling last week all started as a way to keep Jonathan from being voted out. It just got more complicated as it went on.

genevieve

Staff member
I know it's a big bummer that Tori is the surprise IC queen, but how is NO ONE on this show talking about eliminating Jonathan before the immunity challenges start playing to his extreme strengths? So frustrating.

I was also super unimpressed by Jonathan not stepping down out of the IC - he has to be feeling confident in his alliance (again - his name is not even getting tossed out there!), and he just got a food reward - why is he leaving it to others to secure more food for him? :blah:

I was impressed by Lindsay almost keeping up with Jonathan in the swimming part of the reward, and really hoped Omar could have hit that 5th shot, just for a change of pace.

Channelle seemed really lost a lot of this game, so I'm not that sad she's gone. I guess. She was mad after the vote, but she had to know she was a possibility. Right?

I do hope Drea gets to use the knowledge is power advantage more effectively that last season. Her game is kinda interesting.

smurfy

Tori is annoying - just does not seem likeable.
Yes - why are they not targeting Jonathan.
Romeo - another annoying person
And rooting for Drea - so many advantages - hope it provides some great entertainment.
I like how she swapped with Maryann - does not like pbj (I hate pb - so can relate) - and she may get something from Maryann later on and she found the advantage.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I know it's a big bummer that Tori is the surprise IC queen, but how is NO ONE on this show talking about eliminating Jonathan before the immunity challenges start playing to his extreme strengths? So frustrating.
Immunity challenges after the merge typically don't require physical strength too much because the competition is individual and it would put women at a serious disadvantage. The challenges usually require endurance and concentration more than anything else.
I was also super unimpressed by Jonathan not stepping down out of the IC - he has to be feeling confident in his alliance (again - his name is not even getting tossed out there!), and he just got a food reward - why is he leaving it to others to secure more food for him? :blah:
I thought the same, but I am also sure that he has considered that he is a potential target because is the big, strapping guy who traditionally goes first. You can only trust your alliance as far as they need you in the game.
I was impressed by Lindsay almost keeping up with Jonathan in the swimming part of the reward, and really hoped Omar could have hit that 5th shot, just for a change of pace.
Lindsay is a great swimmer--she's really done well in the water challenges. And making that last shot would have made Omar's life. Making four shots probably made Omar's life, but a win?
I do hope Drea gets to use the knowledge is power advantage more effectively that last season. Her game is kinda interesting.
Drea has so many advantages and no one seems to be looking at her except Tori--and I don't think Tori has any friends. I do have to give it to her for her powers of concentration, though. She knows how to focus.

I guess the Hai and Romeo bond is broken already.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think it was Jenny, upon being voted out, who mentioned if they don't get Hai out he's going all the way or something along those lines. I've been watching and notice a lot of the Jeff scenes pan to him, which as of late means absolutely zero in editing but I'm still thinking there's a chance he goes all the way to the final tribal.

Has Maryanne gotten to a place where she can basically coast to the end, too, as a 'non-threat'? I know she's still on the outs but we all know that large alliance, especially with Jonathan there, isn't going to stay together too long.

All of the 10, save Lindsay IMO, have gotten a decent amount of screen-time this season. I find most of them to have likability but there hasn't been a huge amount of sneaky strategy yet. Maybe Drea will change that. And I really don't mind Tori winning immunity. It at least makes things a little more interesting until they really start playing.

ETA RE: Jonathan. He seems like the perfect candidate to be out at 6th or maybe 7th if he has an individual win next week. He gets to 5th then the tribe risks him having an advantage or immunity to play and then it's either he beasts through the final competition or they probably think he's the master at building fire anyways. That, and he hasn't really made any enemies.

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

Has Drea told anyone about all the extra things she has? Can't remember. She definitely should not tell a soul about that 'ask a question' thing (whatever its called) because then they'll just end up hiding the Idol like last time. As long as she doesn't use it against Maryanne cause I LOVE Maryanne! :p When she jumped off that platform I was :rofl: :ROFLMAO: :rofl:

sk8pics

I think last week there was some discussion about voting Jonathan out because of his dominance in the immunity challenges pre-merge, but I wonder if that idea will be dropped since he hasn’t won the last 2 challenges. I’m sure some will be gunning for Tory since she’s now 2 for 2 in individual immunity challenges and so many seem to dislike her.

And the previews suggest a men’s alliance…. Anyway, I’m enjoying this season a lot. I like Jonathan but don’t see him winning unless he ends up in the final against people that no one likes…

Susan1

I think last week there was some discussion about voting Jonathan out because of his dominance in the immunity challenges pre-merge, but I wonder if that idea will be dropped since he hasn’t won the last 2 challenges.
He did get out of the water and make 5 baskets in a row (I thought - what took you so long?) so they could have the pb&j.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
He did get out of the water and make 5 baskets in a row (I thought - what took you so long?) so they could have the pb&j.
He probably wants to stop constantly being attributed to wins.

Susan1

He probably wants to stop constantly being attributed to wins.
Yeah, it makes you a target. But he needed the food! The other team already had 4 baskets, didn't they? The people that got to eat should keep him around so they don't starve.

genevieve

Staff member
I like Jonathan but don’t see him winning unless he ends up in the final against people that no one likes…
I think if he makes it to the final he's got in in the bag unless someone else does something really amazing between now and then. Being that dominant and not getting voted out? Would mean he did more than just muscle his way through it. And he seems to have pretty good relationships with everyone.

But I still think this season is not great - the only other players who really have much game going on are Hai and maybe Drea.

sk8pics

Yeah, you may be right about Johnathan, but I feel like he’s one-dimensional. I’m thinking there’s going to be some challenge that’s heavy on puzzle solving, and unless it has a first part heavily weighted towards athleticism, I don’t see him winning it. Of course, that doesn’t mean he’ll be voted out at that point. Anyway, I really like him and I would not be sad if he won.

I actually like this season a lot. Seems like a lot less sour grapes going on than in recent seasons.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
This season is much better than last. I think it is the editing - last season seemed to have a social agenda and this one doesn’t. While I realize Survivor has always been a social experiment, last season felt preachy.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I think if he makes it to the final he's got in in the bag unless someone else does something really amazing between now and then. Being that dominant and not getting voted out? Would mean he did more than just muscle his way through it.
Well, maybe. But I LOL when he was talking to Lindsay and she pointed out the MAJOR, GLARING FLAW in his master plan :lol:. I mean, really. As a strategist, he is a physical beast.

And the way he started flexing his muscles (figuratively speaking) the second he thought he had some power. Tsk. He really does need to go on an immunity run now because people know how he acts when he has that necklace.

Lindsay is a good player--she's smart, low-key and good at challenges. She probably won't last too much longer, given her minimal role in the show so far.
That was quite the powerful tribal council (the second one). So much true emotion.
Yes. I hope people listened to what Drea and Maryanne had to say.

sk8pics

That really was quite a powerful second tribal council. I had to really listen to both Drea and Maryanne to understand fully their position. I’m glad they aired their speeches, and I wonder how much more there was. At the same time, I’m sorry both of them had to use their hidden immunity idols.

I realized watching this episode, before we got to the tribal councils, that I really don’t like Drea. I don’t like the way she laughs in her confessionals. And I thought Rocks was pretty bossy right from the start, so I wasn’t sorry to see him go. And now Jonathan was acting bossy as well. I was also :rolleyes: at how hard Tory rolled her eyes in council when she was getting up to go draw her scroll. Maybe there was a bit of sour grapes in this episode. Still, I’ve been mostly liking this season. I have no idea who’s going to end up winning.

Sparks

Johnathon saying that Drea was "aggressive" and getting defensive about the talk about race was a bridge too far.
A friend sent me this:

Yikes, Jonathan's #Survivor audition tape includes him working for notorious groomer and sexual predator Roy Moore. I've supported players that were Republicans (though it gets harder and harder to do so), but a Moore supporter is a non-starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information