Ice Dance Technical Requirements 2022/23

morqet

rising like a phoenix

RD Requirements
Junior: Tango plus at least one of the following Dance Styles – Paso Doble, Flamenco, Spanish Waltz, Fandango, Bolero, Jota, Sevillanas, Milonga • The Pattern Dance Element - Argentine Tango - skated to Tango rhythm, with the range of tempo: 24 measures of 4 beats per minute (96 beats per minute) plus or minus 2 beats per minute
Senior: Latin Dance Styles: At Least Two (2) Different Dance Styles/Rhythms chosen from Salsa, Bachata, Merengue, Mambo, Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba • The Pattern Dance Type Step Sequence and Step Sequence must be skated to a different Latin Style/Rhythm

Juniors still have a Pattern - 2 sections of the Argentine Tango. Seniors have a Pattern Style Sequence, but no set pattern, and a Choreographic Rhythm Sequence (ChRS) that must be mostly in hold.

FD is mostly the same, but with the option to choose assisted jumps as one of the choreographic elements.

Choreographic Assisted Jumps: at least three assisted jumps performed in a row
The following requirements apply:
  • At least three in a row (same or different)
  • Cannot rotate more than 1 ½ rotations in each assisted jump by the assisting partner
  • Less than three seconds off the ice for assisted partner
  • No more than three (3) steps in between each assisted jump
  • Either partner may do the assisted jumps

Last edited:

clairecloutier

RD Requirements
Junior: Tango plus at least one of the following Dance Styles – Paso Doble, Flamenco, Spanish Waltz, Fandango, Bolero, Jota, Sevillanas, Milonga • The Pattern Dance Element - Argentine Tango - skated to Tango rhythm, with the range of tempo: 24 measures of 4 beats per minute (96 beats per minute) plus or minus 2 beats per minute
Senior: Latin Dance Styles: At Least Two (2) Different Dance Styles/Rhythms chosen from Salsa, Bachata, Merengue, Mambo, Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba • The Pattern Dance Type Step Sequence and Step Sequence must be skated to a different Latin Style/Rhythm

Juniors still have a Pattern - 2 sections of the Argentine Tango. Seniors have a Pattern Style Sequence, but no set pattern, and a Choreographic Rhythm Sequence (ChRS) that must be mostly in hold.

I know we knew it was coming, but still :wuzrobbed over no more compulsory in RD.

FD is mostly the same, but with the option to choose assisted jumps as one of the choreographic elements
Choreographic Assisted Jumps: at least three assisted jumps performed in a row The following requirements apply:
  • At least three in a row (same or different)
  • Cannot rotate more than 1 ½ rotations in each assisted jump by the assisting partner
  • Less than three seconds off the ice for assisted partner
  • No more than three (3) steps in between each assisted jump
  • Either partner may do the assisted jumps

Bet you $50 that Fear/Gibson are the first team to jump on this. (Lewis loves his leaps. :lol:)

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Well, that certainly guarantees that we won't see any teams doing a split season between junior and senior with the RD being completely different. I'd have preferred to see the rhythms at least be the same between the two divisions.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Other changes:

The lifted partner’s pose or change of pose in the RD Short Lift must be different from the same type of Short Lift in the FD or part of the same type of lift in the Combo Lift. The repeated pose or change of pose performed in the same type of lift will be considered as a simple pose/change of pose for the FD.

And in the FD:
The Step Sequence is evaluated as one unit by adding the Base Values of the Woman Step Sequence Level and the Man Step Sequence Level and then applying the GOE

I'd say I really, really dislike the second one. And the new Choreographic Rhythm Sequence is evaluated as a choreographic element so just another BV 1.10 with massive GOE thing.

ETA: Here's another one on the last page:

Note: Any music of the same tempo/rhythm and expression should last no more than 75% of the program

Last edited:

EdgyIceMarks

Only the first two attempted Different Difficult Turns per partner selected from those above are considered for level.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the Style D Latin PSt should include at least 2 of Rocker/Counter/Chocktaw/Forward Outside Mohawk per partner, each executed nonsimultaneously to another, and the turn requirements for the final level are only judged based on those two difficult turns per partner? I don't think this Communication or previous ones have specified what the exactly the level requirements are for a Style D step sequence would be like, but based on the information we're given, this seems to be a downgrade in difficulty requirement compared to the previous Style C PSt where each partner needed to do at least 4 difficult turns for the highest level?

Between this, the removal of a set pattern and the Choreographic Rhythm Sequence for the Seniors, I wonder if ISU is aiming for lesser technical difficulty in the step sequences in the Rhythm Dance in favor of their being generally more presentable / visually appealing...?

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Oh and they will be able to use Spain’s Eurovision entry this year too! Por favor! :encore:

I want this level of THE SEX and nothing less. :p

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Well, that certainly guarantees that we won't see any teams doing a split season between junior and senior with the RD being completely different. I'd have preferred to see the rhythms at least be the same between the two divisions.
I assume they did this on purpose but I have to wonder why.

I fear you are doomed to disappointment, unfortunately. :drama:

Also, sad that there is no compulsory for Seniors. As for the changes to step sequences, I can never follow written instructions like that. Hopefully, The Technical Panel will do a YouTube video on it. :D

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Copying from the Dance Hall thread...

I'm non-plussed by the removal of the pattern, and non-plussed by the inclusion of another element so easily scored on reputation points.
👆 This right here.

The rhythm dance has really punished teams with weaker skating skills and rewarded those with stronger ones when there were 3 high-value step sequences. Teams like SinKats and HubDon were really able to establish strong leads internationally that weaker teams skating-skills wise like ChoBat and GilPoir just could not overcome unless the teams ahead made mistakes in the Free Dance.

I get that the technical committee is trying to make programs more "entertaining" with actual choreography dictated by the music. The sport definitely needed to move away from the Shpilband/Zoueva era, but these changes are an overcorrection. The choreographic elements are now going to firmly decide competitions. Sigh...

I also disagree with another step sequence where the man and woman each get their own level call. Levels should live and die based on the weakest partner. I'm okay with twizzles and one-foot steps being called per partner, but step sequences should be one element, where there is a singular product created by the team trying to skate as one unit. Another sigh...

Changes I actually agree with...

The technical committee has defined a max ratio for the Free Dance in terms of the required rhythm/tempo change - 3:1 max. A max of 75% of the Free Dance can be done to one expression/rhythm/tempo. This ends up being more limiting, but this was necessary after the technical committee removed the 2nd leveled step sequence from the Free Dance (the two had to be skated to different rhythms/tempos).

There's also the Kaganovskaia/Angelopol rule for the Choreographic Steps - teams can now touch "the ice with any part of the body with controlled movements". So, teams can now perform "slides" as part of the choreographic steps and it won't count as a fall. I think this is a good, needed change.

And now I'm seeing a Flores/Tsarevski rule :wuzrobbed. There's no longer a distinct Combination Dance Spin. There's just a Dance Spin performed on "one foot or with change(s) of foot by one or both partners". I like the greater flexibility - it was nonsensical to have rules governing combination dance spin vs. dance spin when the general requirements were changed so that they were the same.

Former Lurve Goddess

Do we know whether the pattern is gone for good to just for some years? I rather like the idea of the RD having a prescribed pattern in alternating years. So perhaps next year's RD could include the new "Maple Leaf March"? I'd also like to see the Golden Waltz happen again sometime. On the other hand, I think there are some potential RD rhythms that don't really fit well with any the current senior-level compulsory patterns, so it's also nice to have the flexibility of no pattern requirement in some years.

mackiecat

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the Style D Latin PSt should include at least 2 of Rocker/Counter/Chocktaw/Forward Outside Mohawk per partner, each executed nonsimultaneously to another, and the turn requirements for the final level are only judged based on those two difficult turns per partner? I don't think this Communication or previous ones have specified what the exactly the level requirements are for a Style D step sequence would be like, but based on the information we're given, this seems to be a downgrade in difficulty requirement compared to the previous Style C PSt where each partner needed to do at least 4 difficult turns for the highest level?

Between this, the removal of a set pattern and the Choreographic Rhythm Sequence for the Seniors, I wonder if ISU is aiming for lesser technical difficulty in the step sequences in the Rhythm Dance in favor of their being generally more presentable / visually appealing...?
It is 2 different difficult turns done per partner at different times. -4 turns

mackiecat

So, no more Compulsories in Senior. What a shame ! That was not really good by most of the teams, which is the proof it's not that easy and that they are really important to learn to skate properly !
This may be for this year only as the pattern dance was suppose to be the Maple March

Rhumba d’Amour

sap5

Oh and they will be able to use Spain’s Eurovision entry this year too! Por favor! :encore:

No current ice dance team could do this. If Madi Chock and Laurence Fournier-Beaudry could skate together as a team, perhaps there would be a chance. Why didn't the ISU focus on the rule changes that could really make a difference??? ;)

Bigbird

This crud must have messed with peoples brains. Tell me without Virtue and Moir and without Andrew Poje what authentic latin will we be seeing? Help!!

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
I wonder if Chock/Bates had any inkling of these changes given their desire to continue on for at least another season…they’re likely to clean up with even more choreographic element scoring. Fear/Gibson will probably move up the ranks with more ease as well.

Let’s pray the removal of the compulsory pattern is an experiment and the backlash will be strong enough to have it brought back for the latter half of the upcoming quadrennial.

Also, I don’t even fully understand the point of saying two different rhythms/styles anymore without the required BPM of the compulsory pattern. They don’t publish the definitions of the rhythm count and judges don’t seem to score programs differently based on conventional dance knowledge and authenticity to the prescribed rhythm of the dance style. I don’t think the ISU cares if a Samba Pst is done in 3/4, 1/4, 1 or Rumba ChRS is SQQ SQQ as long as the tempo of the music noticeably changed and the dancing looks vaguely “Latin”. 🙃

Dobre

Lacey

I am embarrassed to admit that, for all the years I've spent watching ice dance, so much of this is still Greek to me. :slinkaway

Probably no one here wants to hear my story, but maybe someone will have suggestions...

I was an Adult Silver Dancer (tested to there and retired 40 years ago), my two girls both passed the Gold Ice Dancing Medal, the oldest 35 years ago and the youngest passed all but two of the Internationals 25 years ago. Our skating was all about the compulsories, one girl was a competitor so went beyond to an OSP and free dance, but that was a very long time ago. I am old and even they are older now and not one of us is actively skating. I remain the only fan, they have other interests than skating now. I have remained a steadfast fan, FSU has helped me follow skating tremendously, and it is key that my eye has always gone since day one to the strongest teams. But over the years I have lost my expertise and not gained or retained much new dance knowledge. And now I am feeling really ignorant.

This year, all of these new dance technical requirements as listed above herein are just about foreign to me. I wonder if the average dance fan can follow any of these new ideas and if I or they will be able to follow ice dancing as a fan any more. Or will we just hear, so and so won, and sadly wonder how it was scored, how they picked medalists & winners...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information