2021/2022 Canadian Ladies: News and Updates

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I'm surprised if she was landing triple jumps 6 weeks ago why they aren't sending her to Jr Worlds.
Could be the reason alluded to regarding why she did not compete at Canadians is still an issue with her receiving the assignment. Hopefully she'll be able to travel and compete again next season.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Could be the reason alluded to regarding why she did not compete at Canadians is still an issue with her receiving the assignment. Hopefully she'll be able to travel and compete again next season.
What exactly? Was is family pressure or something like that?

RoseRed

The only confirmed reason she didn't compete at Challenge/Nationals was that she was injured.

Pink Cats

Canada will be sending several women to the Egna Spring Trophy taking place in Egna, Italy from April 7 - 10/22 :): https://www.fisg.it/upload/result/5612/online/index.htm

Junior Women

Abby Baltzer (N3)
Fiona Bombardier (J2)
Angelina Grant (N8)

Advanced Novice Girls

Kara Yun (N2)
Lulu Lin (J9)
Hetty Shi (N1)

Lulu has been working on a 3flip-3toe as per Coach Evans’ Instagram post, possibly we will see her attempt it in the FP. 🤞

All 6 Canadian girls are in the top 7 in their respective levels, so not too shabby

euterpe

All 6 Canadian girls are in the top 7 in their respective levels, so not too shabby

Here's how the Canadians did so far:

Novice Men: 1. David Li, 3. David Bondar, 5. Edward Vasii (Kirk Haugeto USA was 2nd)
Novice Women: 2. Hetty Shi, 4. Kara Yun, 8. Lulu Lin

Junior Women: 3. Fiona Bombardier, 6. Abby Baltzer. Unfortunately, Angelina Grant fell in her FS and may have hit her head, so she withdrew. Anna Pezzetta (ITA) won, Hannah Herrera (USA) was 2nd.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
From Skate Canada's April 6th team press release for Egna: https://skatecanada.ca/2022/04/canadas-future-stars-travel-to-egna-italy/
Abbie Balzter, 13, Hamilton, Ont., will be the first of three entries for Canada in junior women. Balzter competed at the novice level for the 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships where she came in third place. Balzter is coached by Jen Jackson and Bryce Davison in Hamilton, Ont.
Fiona Bombardier, 16, Newmarket, Ont., is the second Canadian entry in junior women. Bombardier had a promising 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships where she came in second taking home the silver medal in the junior women’s event. She is coached by Ken Rose in Richmond, Ont.
Angelina Grant, 13, Edmonton, Alta., is the third and final entry in junior women. Grant competed at the novice level for the 2022 Skate Canada Challenge where she placed second. Grant also took part in the 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships where she placed eighth. She is coached by Katherine Co-Grant in Edmonton, Alta.
Hetty Shi, 13, Mississauga, Ont will be the first Canadian entry in novice women. Shi claimed top spot on the podium at the 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships. Shi also finished seventh at the 2022 Skate Canada Challenge. Shi is coached by Andrew Evens, Paul Parkinson and Laurisa Wyant in Mississauga, Ont.
Lulu Lin, 13, Oakville, Ont., is the second entry for Canada in novice women. Lin had two top 10 placements at the junior level at both the 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships and the 2022 Skate Canada Challenge. Lin is coached by Paul Parkinson and Andrew Evans in Mississauga, Ont.
Kara Yun, 13, Vancouver, B.C., is the final Canadian entry for novice women. Yun captured two medals domestically as she finished second at the 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships and third at the 2022 Skate Canada Challenge. She is coached by Joanne McLeod and Neil Wilson in Vancouver, B.C.
Junior women's results (field of 22):
BRONZE Fiona BOMBARDIER CAN 151.82 6 2 (49.79 SP, 102.03 FS with 3Lz+2T, 2A+2T, 3Fe+1Eu+3S<, 3Lz, 2A-, 3Lo, 3S)
6 Abbie BALTZER CAN 140.96 5 7 (49.88 SP, 91.08 FS)
WD Angelina GRANT CAN (7th in SP 49.74) - hope she will be/is okay after hitting what looked to be the side of her head during the FS :(

Adv. Novice results (21 competed):
SILVER Hetty SHI CAN 128.05 4 2 (42.96 SP; 85.09 FS with all jumps called clean: 2Ab+2T, 3Lob+2T+2Lo, 3Fb, 3Lo, 3S, 2A) - FS video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iru94U2qsl4
4 Kara YUN CAN 117.97 2 6 (43.87 SP with 3F+2T & 3Lo; 74.10 FS with clean 3Lz & 3F)
8 Lulu LIN CAN 104.83 7 7 (37.05 SP; 67.78 FS with clean 3T+1Eu+3S)

Skate Canada's recap of the competition (results link included at the end):
Hetty Shi of Mississauga, Ont., added a silver in women’s novice. ... Shi, moved from fourth after the short, to reach the podium with 128.05.
‘’I would have wanted to do the triple toe after the Axel but it was overall OK,’’ said Shi, 13. ‘’I was happy that some of the little things I worked on in training like my facial expressions were much better.’’
Fiona Bombardier of Newmarket, Ont., also made an impressive comeback to win the bronze in the women’s junior event.
... Bombardier surged from sixth after the short to produce the second-best free skate and take third at 151.82.
‘’I’m super excited,’’ said Bombardier, 16, about her international debut. ‘’The score was satisfying, and I accomplished my goals.’’
Abbie Balzter of Hamilton was sixth.
Re-posting here from the Egna Spring Trophy competition thread in Kiss & Cry:
In case anyone is interested, 3Turn3 on behalf of Skate Ontario recently interviewed Fiona Bombardier's mother, Josée Chouinard. Some of the conversation related to being a former competitor and a coach while having a competing daughter.
The link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHIZi3uu9Ys

Last edited:

pointbleu

Would Gabby Daleman consider doing an arm over the head variation in an actual program?
Jumping hands over head help so much with core control and stability. Look how her lutz landing is bang on. She always seemed to overrotate/land on the heel of her blade on most of her jump even when they are good. She should keep that technique!

honey

Would Gabby Daleman consider doing an arm over the head variation in an actual program?
She toyed with this in the program in the 2016/2017 season on the opening 3Z. Ultimately she abandoned it mid way through the season after having missed it several times.

She often posts Instagram clips of the Rippon lutz, but as far as I can remember she has not tried it in competition since 2017 nationals.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Well done to Lia Pereira and Justine Miclette who set personal bests in the short program at jr worlds today, finishing 12th and 14th respectively. They are in a good position to keep two spots at jr worlds next year. Miclette beat her ISU personal best by almost 10 points despite having two jump errors. Good luck to both in the free tomorrow!

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I also think Lia was scored/placed a little too low even, I'd have her at least 9th with that skate, but I am glad she made the 2nd to last group, and curious to see how things shake out after the free...

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I can’t help but wonder how Kaiya Ruiter would’ve done had she been here. Still, I very much liked Lia and Justine today.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Kaiya would have made the most of her opportoooonahhteeee and finished 6th in the sp. She wont waste it, guarantee

euterpe

Lia and Justine ended up at 14th and 21st after the FS. How many spots for JW 23 and how many ladies per event for the 22-23 JGP?

Sylvia

TBD
Emma Bulawka, 19 (6th in Senior at 2020 Canadians, last competed in the January 2021 Virtual Skate Canada Challenge, placing 13th) launched her "Wide Open Spaces" podcast earlier this year - her first guest was the newly retired Emily Bausback and the second was herself (will post the links to her other 2 spisodes in the Canadian Men's & Pairs threads in GSD later).

Bausback (Jan. 26): https://rss.com/podcasts/wide-open-spaces/373115/
Emily Bausback is the 2020 Senior Women’s Canadian Champion, National Team Member and... a beautiful human being, inside and out. Despite injuries, pandemic and a rough road towards her first ever gold medal at the National Championships in 2020, Emily stood tall and overcame adversity in the face of challenges. She just recently announced her retirement [Jan. 14, 2022] from competitive figure skating after an admirable career, filled with highs and lows. In this podcast, we cover everything from our obsessions with Whole Foods to mental health stigmas in figure skating. Emily opens up about her own struggles with mental health and body image these past two years. There is power in stepping into your own vulnerabilities, especially in a society that perceives it as being weak. Definitely worth a listen!
Bulawka (Feb. 24): https://rss.com/podcasts/wide-open-spaces/401995/
I am very excited to give you a little glimpse into my life as an athlete so far. This is Part 1 of a 2 Part series about my journey to figure skating.
In this episode, I share some unforgettable moments, funny/embarrassing stories and some of the mountains I had to overcome along the way, which have all shaped me into the athlete and person I am today. Give it a listen!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Posted in the Canadian Men's news thread back on Feb. 25:
I think that seems like a good choice for Conrad! I think he’s got lots of potential, but hasn’t really huge strides over the last couple seasons. Good for him for making a big change like that [switching to Ravi Walia]. Wonder if his sister will follow him?
Yes, Amelia Orzel is listed as representing Ice Palace FSC in the entries list for the Wild Rose Invitational in late July in the Edmonton area, along with Kaiya Ruiter in Senior:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Kaetlyn Osmond choreographed a long program for junior Karen Slade. (In the comments she says it's a flamenco.) Sounds like she wants to do more choreographing in the future!

Pink Cats

Per the international assignments page the new team of TILDA ALTERYD / GABRIEL FARANDT (I think his last name is spelled wrong? He and Pereira should start a support group LOL) have been assigned to Warsaw Cup.

Just wanted to cross post this because if you look further down Kaiya Ruiter has been assigned to 2022 Icechallenge (Graz, Austria) in senior Women

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information