Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Zhulin claiming changing the nationality for the sports is kind of being a traitor.
Tarasova is talking about making the international competitions with the countries who are still in touch with Russia - Belarus/China and some others. Viner (rhythmic gymnastics) is talking about holding competitions with Mongolia. The trouble is football - that's where the money is and having only the national competitions would not attract many people.
Interesting... Sounds like they think this ban is going to last awhile. Good luck telling your athletes that they're the best in the world when no one wants to play with them.

So, last week, Gorshkov was telling us that NO skaters were asking about releases, now Zhulin is telling us that changing nationality for sports is equivalent to treason. If this isn't resolved by the end of June when the season officially ends, I'd bet we see the migration begin in earnest.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
For those of you who were concerned about Tiffany, she has safely arrived in Australia.🎉
As expected, she has a pretty bad headache🤯, despite the medication, as she was not supposed to fly so soon after meningitis.
However, she is just so happy and excited to be in Australia, despite the jetlag and head pain.😃

morgan rye

All of Georgia's skaters/teams who have the ISU TES mins to compete at Worlda (Kvitelashvili, Maysuradze, Egadze, Gubanova, Urushadze, Safina/Berulava, Metelkina/Parkman, and Kazakova/Reviya) train in Russia. Same with Azerbaijan's and Kazahkstan's skaters. Belarus' singles skaters split time between Moscow & Minsk and their Pairs & Dance teams train in Minsk.

Several other skaters/teams who train in Russia split their time between Russia and their home countries or are known to not be in Russia at the moment (Brendan Kerry, Hase/Seegert).

Not sure the status of Samoilov POL, Reshtenko CZE, Australia's pairs teams, and the dance teams of Mitrofanova/Kasinskij BIH, Mazingue/Gaidajenko EST, and Mueller/Dieck GER.

ETA - teams mentioned are ones who have ISU Worlds TES mins. There are others who train in Russia but Worlds isn't a consideration for them at this time, though they might also be reevaluating their training options too.
i would be surprised if russia wants anyone they can control to go to worlds and be exposed to western news media. they might bring home what is really happening.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
i would be surprised if russia wants anyone they can control to go to worlds and be exposed to western news media. they might bring home what is really happening.
Russia can't keep them in the country if they have passports for other countries - and any of them who competed at the Olympics will have them, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the Georgian team does too.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Russia can't keep them in the country if they have passports for other countries - and any of them who competed at the Olympics will have them, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the Georgian team does too.
They can be denied boarding at the airport, be turned back at land border, and/or the government can revoke their passport (everyone’s passport) and close the borders, preventing anyone from living.

hanca

Values her privacy
Did she want to continue though? They sort of hit a plateau? I wonder also if Bagin just wanted to move on. But will they skate for Russia? Where will they compete? They're starting over with new partners at 21 and 22. Hmmm.
Well, it worked fine for Katsalapov to switch at the age of 22.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10

Anyone with multiple citizenships including Russian citizenship is treated as a Russian-only citizen when they are in Russia. So if Russia is stopping Russian citizens from leaving the country, either all or a subset (ex: men between the ages of 16-60), they have the right to do so.

That is true of US citizens with other passports while they are in the US, Canadian citizens with other passports while they are in Canada, etc. There are exceptions, like foreign embassies, and possibly military bases, and any country-specific exceptions. But if you don't qualify, your other citizenships become meaningless.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
eeCan we even watch Channel 1 outside of Russia now? I thought YT blocked all the Russian channels.
If you check the "Russian Cup series & other domestic events (2021-22)" thread in Kiss & Cry, the most recent domestic comp. was livestreamed on YT from March 1-5 (eta via the TheFSRussia YT channel, not Russian Channel One).

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
They can be denied boarding at the airport, be turned back at land border, and/or the government can revoke their passport (everyone’s passport) and close the borders, preventing anyone from living.
Yes, just as happened to my husband (dual citizen) in mid-January…not allowed to board flight to the USA because of some instant COVID test that they concocted (“random test”) at Moscow Sheremetievo…despite him having taken the required lab test that indicated negative for the crud. He finally was allowed home four weeks later after we involved the US Consulate.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

"Channel One Cup is brought to you by the makers of Grandpa's. Grandpa's, the formula that lets you train longer and harder. You'll love it!" :grandpa:

Sort of like a Russian GERITOL!
at the risk of dating myself

FEEL STRONGER…FAST!
Быстро почувствуйте себя сильнее!

Last edited:

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Can we even watch Channel 1 outside of Russia now? I thought YT blocked all the Russian channels.
The last time I checked my saved skating videos, the ones from Channel One's YouTube were still available. I think YouTube took away their ability to make money from the channels, and they aren't advertising them.

Frau Muller

It’s on youtube. Search or copy-paste in Cyrillic:

первый канал

For example, the constant live news (or “news”) feed link:

So this and other Russian-language channels are no longer offered by Comcast (or other?) cable subscriptions…but we can watch it via YouTube. Just no ads/monetization.

Since I can call-up YouTube on my SmartTV, it can all be easily watched, live, on a big screen. Just no ads, which is fine by me. Not that there weren’t many to begin.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
It’s on youtube. Search or copy-paste in Cyrillic:

первый канал

For example, the constant live news (or “news”) feed link:

So this and other Russian-language channels are no longer offered by Comcast (or other?) cable subscriptions…but we can watch it via YouTube. Just no ads/monetization.

Since I can call-up YouTube on my SmartTV, it can all be easily watched, live, on a big screen. Just no ads, which is fine by me. Not that there weren’t many to begin.
UMMMM - don't I pay a lot of money to Peacock for access to these events? It is such a weird world.

kirkbiggestfan

I think that Australia can now expedite citizenship for potential Olympic athletes. Getting a release from Russia will be impossible these days but the ISU will have to react quickly. I would love to see Tiff and Jonathan back on the ice for another Olympic cycle.

aka_gerbil

UMMMM - don't I pay a lot of money to Peacock for access to these events? It is such a weird world.
The Channel One Cup is a Russian domestic cheesefest, not an isu international competition or US domestic qualifying competition. I find know what it would be expected for US-based Peacock to carry it.

mtnskater

Based on the Ukraine horror and the Russian doping of their figure skaters ( if you think Valieva is the only one, I have a bridge to sell you…) I will not tune into any Russian Cup, Nationals or any other event they put up on YouTube or any where else. For me Russia is canceled.

Last edited:

aka_gerbil

Based on the Ukraine horror and the Russian doping of their figure skaters ( if you think Valieva is the only once, I have a bridge to sell you…) I will not tune into any Russian Cup, Nationals or any other event they put up on YouTube or any where else. For me Russia is canceled.
And no one is going to force you.

I will continue to watch T/M skate wherever footage shows up of them.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I think that Australia can now expedite citizenship for potential Olympic athletes. Getting a release from Russia will be impossible these days but the ISU will have to react quickly. I would love to see Tiff and Jonathan back on the ice for another Olympic cycle.
That would mean a 4th citizenship for Tiff 😂
She is also entitled to an Irish citizenship via her Irish grandma.
Truly a citizen of the World 🌎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information