Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

text_skate

Channel One/perviy kanal has a message up on it's site, that there could be reception problems with satellites in Europe, Asia and USA (eutelsat hotbird13 and asiasat5)

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
this is very annoying. My provider doesn't get to dictate what I stream. I guess no more skating for me this year as I won't be watching Worlds.

The anti-Russian bias here on FSU has been building long before Putin decided to invade Ukraine, but oddly, I don't see any posters complaining about China or the Chinese skaters. If the Russians should be banned, so too should Sui/Han due to human rights.

Oh, well. The Russian skaters are posting links on IG to subscribe to their Telegram accounts.

Last edited:

Bigbird

this is very annoying. My provider doesn't get to dictate what I stream. I guess no more skating for me this year as I won't be watching Worlds.

The anti-Russian bias here on FSU has been building long before Putin decided to invade Ukraine, but oddly, I don't see any posters complaining about China or the Chinese skaters. If the Russians should be banned, so too should Sui/Han due to human rights.

Oh, well.
Aren't they? They are not on the roster. Am I missing something?

Sylvia

TBD
Is there a list of participants for the Channel One cup?
Not yet. Think I saw a Russian article that mentioned Tarasova/Morozov would participate.

From the RusFed press release posted earlier:
More details about the rules of the competition and the lineups will be announced later. Not all athletes declared for participation in the jumping festival will be included in the teams.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
No, or even Facebook.
Both Twitter and Facebook have versions that can't be censored by countries so they could if they wanted to. I don't blame people for not wanting to do that though.

oddly, I don't see any posters complaining about China or the Chinese skaters.
Then you aren't looking very hard because I've certainly seen them.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
This stuff just got very very real.

But as I said before, the Russians will play amongst themselves and award each other platinum medals and such....etc, etc etc. On to more pressing news next Thursday is the Last Episode of Flip or Flop on HGTV. I will miss Christina, sigh.
Now that's bad news. I know they have their own shows but why did they finally call it off? (THREAD DRIFT ALERT)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Oh, well.
China hasn't, as far as we know, invaded Taiwan yet. I'm not going to say they're any "better" than Russia on the human rights or censorship fronts, but plenty of private companies as well as sports organizations have not walked away from allowing China to have a presence on the global stage.

I have a hard time with the censorship happening by the likes of various social media and content providers. It absolutely is wrong, whether its done by a private company or a government institution and I'm highly disturbed at the lengths to which these companies are going to block access to anything and everything Russia.

I guess a lot of people have forgotten some of the larger lessons learned from some of the great works of literature like "The Scarlett Letter", the plays of Arthur Miller and Orwell's novels. This road we have been heading down, as a society, is a very scary one when it comes to the free exercise of thought, debate and tolerance.

zebraswan

The less access that Russians have to international sites or independent media, the more they will end up only hearing/seeing official propaganda. Which, of course, is the point. Isolate them, blame everything on the evil West...it's scary how far backwards things have gone in just a few weeks. And this is just the very beginning.

Bigbird

Now that's bad news. I know they have their own shows but why did they finally call it off? (THREAD DRIFT ALERT)
Too much tension. They just needed to close that chapter. Added to which Tarek had a meltdown last July where he said some really cruel things. Christina just said enough was enough. Those were the reports.....

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I have a hard time with the censorship happening by the likes of various social media and content providers. It absolutely is wrong, whether its done by a private company or a government institution

Censorship by government and censorship by private companies are two totally different things. If you don't like what a private company is providing in its content, don't support that company. That's not censorship, it's the free market at work.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
At least with Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, it’s the Russian government blocking access and not the companies. For me, it’s been heartening to see so many Russian people not lose connection to their friends and news from the rest of the world.

Vagabond

I don't see any posters complaining about China or the Chinese skaters.
How disappointing that you would engage in whataboutism. :(

Be that as it may, people here on FSU aren't likely to complain about China in this thread when they can complain and have complained about China here:

BittyBug

Disgusted
This is what my grandmother used to call biting off your nose to spite your face.
The anti-Russian bias here on FSU has been building long before Putin decided to invade Ukraine...
Bull sh!t. There is decidedly an anti Tutberidze bias, but show me where posters are dissing Kolyada, Russian pairs, or Stepanova and Bukin.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Censorship by government and censorship by private companies are two totally different things. If you don't like what a private company is providing in its content, don't support that company. That's not censorship, it's the free market at work.
You keep telling yourself that.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Bull sh!t. There is decidedly an anti Tutberidze bias, but show me where posters are dissing Kolyada, Russian pairs, or Stepanova and Bukin.
Also, FSU disses Tom Z. all the time. Do we have an anti-American bias because we do that? Of course not.

There are people who are biased against certain countries and others are biased for certain countries. There were more people biased for Russia than against it before the invasion IMO.

airgelaal

The less access that Russians have to international sites or independent media, the more they will end up only hearing/seeing official propaganda. Which, of course, is the point. Isolate them, blame everything on the evil West...it's scary how far backwards things have gone in just a few weeks. And this is just the very beginning.
They had access to independent media and what is the result? They didn't want to hear before, much less they want to hear now.

bladesofgorey

Not only that, but not all that long ago these platforms were used as a tool to promote and encourage GENOCIDE. Genocide that quite frankly may not have happened if twitter and facebook were not weaponized. Social network algorithms already create information (and disinformation) silos and echo chambers. Couple that with extremely sophisticated manipulation by state actors or political operatives (or until very recently hate groups although they are still on facebook in crypto fashion to some degree) and I wonder what people are thinking when they say this removes "Free Speech". Speech was never freely and equally disseminated on these platforms to begin with, with horrific results. These companies do not want another Myanmar on their hands, and the Ukrainian invasion is a testing ground for whether or not they are taking actual steps to avoid that.

bladesofgorey

Oh, well. The Russian skaters are posting links on IG to subscribe to their Telegram accounts.
Oh noes! I can't watched drugged and starved children anymore and now I can't even support a fascist state that's killing people in another country because I need my entertainment! Guess I know what you'd be doing when Hitler was in power.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Oh noes! I can't watched drugged and starved children anymore and now I can't even support a fascist state that's killing people in another country because I need my entertainment! Guess I know what you'd be doing when Hitler was in power.
Well, @rfisher and I are from the US. Our military has killed thousand of civilians in the Middle East with drone attacks. Maybe we shouldn’t be watching US skaters for entertainment either.

zebraswan

They had access to independent media and what is the result? They didn't want to hear before, much less they want to hear now.
What was the result? Millions of Russians don't support the war and don't support Putin. They can't do much about it because opposing him can land you in prison, or dead. Many of those who have the means are trying to escape the country, but it's getting harder by the day with their currency devalued, visa problems, limited flights, etc. You may also be interrogated by the FSB at the border trying to leave, have your devices searched.

"They" are not all the same and the ones who are stuck there not supporting this regime are really suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information