2021/2022 Canadian Ladies: News and Updates

Colonel Green

Also, I believe that Madeline now has two new personal bests in each segment but no new total score PB, because as far as I recall you don't get a total score for the Olympic team event.

I'm sure she'll be annoyed since this would have been her first over 200 points.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
201.64 combined score for Schizas in the TE! Unofficial because of the nature of the event (some countries splitting competitors).

Congrats, Canada!

In comparison, Karen Chen - who also skated both segments- had about 196+ total.

zigzig

Was really hoping for a breakthrough skate from Maddie but she should she proud of what she put out there over a very long and exhausting Games. Hopefully she'll take some learnings from these Olympics and use it to become a frontrunner in the next quad.

honey

Not much different from how Osmond skated in Sochi. A learning experience. Judges won't forget her potential due to a disappointing individual.
Yes, I was thinking the same this morning. It felt very similar. Madeline really came through in a big way in the team event (even more so than Osmond in 2014), and I think she just didn’t have enough gas left to regroup to do it again a week and a half later.

I was happy to see her come out swinging with the 3Z+3T today after missing it in the short. Hopefully she can turn it around for worlds, because getting into the top 10 is still a tall order, but not off the table now. Of course she should be foremost focused on herself, but I’m sure this is going to be to the goal.

Sylvia

TBD

Sylvia

TBD
According to the Skate Canada International Assignments page, Pereira and Miclette are doing the Challenge Cup as a tune up for jr worlds
Competition thread has been started in Kiss & Cry. :)

Lia Pereira shared an IG story from a Junior Worlds camp in Mississauga, ON that's happening right now.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Thank you so much for posting this quote, @Sylvia. This is so what we need to see right now.

Not for this thread but there's a wonderful article today about Alysa Liu, and her joy at her Olympic experience including sharing it with her skating friends.

There is a lot positive to focus on!

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Colonel Green

Madeline was interviewed about the team event medals question recently:

Marco

The Team Event took out all of Maddie's energy, like it did for Roman. Unfortunate. Better luck at Worlds!

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
The Team Event took out all of Maddie's energy, like it did for Roman. Unfortunate. Better luck at Worlds!
And yet, Sinitsina/Katsalapov, who competed in their individual event before Maddie competed in hers, were actually better in the ID event than the TE. And Nathan was even better in the Men's SP than he was in the TE SP. And Gubanova was about the same in both.

My point being - there's really no rhyme nor reason for why some skaters did better in one event than the other and blaming the TE for "taking out all their energy" is a lame excuse. Many of these skaters have competitions in back-to-back weeks during the fall, so I'm pretty sure that most of them had plenty of time to recuperate and rev back up (or not) for their individual events.

Colonel Green

And yet, Sinitsina/Katsalapov, who competed in their individual event before Maddie competed in hers, were actually better in the ID event than the TE. And Nathan was even better in the Men's SP than he was in the TE SP. And Gubanova was about the same in both.

My point being - there's really no rhyme nor reason for why some skaters did better in one event than the other and blaming the TE for "taking out all their energy" is a lame excuse. Many of these skaters have competitions in back-to-back weeks during the fall, so I'm pretty sure that most of them had plenty of time to recuperate and rev back up (or not) for their individual events.
You're correct that it's not universal by any means, but worth noting that that was Maddie's self-assessment of the situation.

euterpe

Madeline was interviewed about the team event medals question recently:

I'm not sure Canada would get the bronze medal even if Valieva were disqualified. The Russians had a total of 74 points, 20 of them from Valieva's two segments. That would leave Russia with 54 points and Canada with 53. Russia would win the bronze medal, US gold and Japan silver.

The only way Canada gets the bronze medal would be if everyone in the two women's segments gets moved up one point; it's not clear that would be done.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I'm not sure Canada would get the bronze medal even if Valieva were disqualified. The Russians had a total of 74 points, 20 of them from Valieva's two segments. That would leave Russia with 54 points and Canada with 53. Russia would win the bronze medal, US gold and Japan silver.

The only way Canada gets the bronze medal would be if everyone in the two women's segments gets moved up one point; it's not clear that would be done.
That is what should be done if Russia is treated the way Germany and Ukraine were in the Pairs and Men's SP segments where they got 0 points for not fielding a competitor. And I'm pretty sure that precedent is what the COC would point to in an appeal if the ISU doesn't redistribute the points from the Women’s SP and FS.

Dr.TylerPhD

That is what should be done if Russia is treated the way Germany and Ukraine were in the Pairs and Men's SP segments where they got 0 points for not fielding a competitor. And I'm pretty sure that precedent is what the COC would point to in an appeal if the ISU doesn't redistribute the points from the Women’s SP and FS.
But if you remove only Valieva's points, then you also have to bump up the individual female skaters, meaning Canada gets end place points for both women's segments, which placed them ahead of Russia.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
Back in 1968, when one of the Swedish modern pentathletes tested positive for ethanol (Liljenvall claimed he had two beers to calm his nerves before the shooting phase, but his alcohol level was 0.4 :eek: Must have been two very large beers), the whole team was disqualified, losing the bronze medal. They didn't just remove Liljenvall's points and recalculate the results.

1968 Modern Pentathlon

OTOH - in 2004, Ludger Beerbaum's horse tested positive and they recalculated the results and Germany still won bronze in the team event.

The horse was on drugs

Last edited:

Former Lurve Goddess

Back in 1968, when one of the Swedish modern pentathletes tested positive for ethanol (Liljenvall claimed he had two beers to calm his nerves before the shooting phase, but his alcohol level was 0.4 :eek: Must have been two very large beers), the whole team was disqualified, losing the bronze medal. They didn't just remove Liljenvall's points and recalculate the results.

1968 Modern Pentathlon
Silken Laumann's teammates lost their Pan Am Games gold medal when Silken tested positive for pseudoephedrine (she took the wrong cold medicine).

Marco

You are referencing all the seasoned, top competitors. And Gubanova has been consistent the entire season. Skaters like Maddie and Roman are already inconsistent at times and not that experienced - for them it is as much psychological as it is mental. Not even Mark K survived. I am guessing the expectation on Maddie went up ten fold given how she skated at the TE and she simply couldn't handle. On the other hand, the subpar outings by Roman in the TE broke him to the point of no return.

Sure ice is slippery too. However, it doesn't hurt and isn't lame to put things in a little context.

Sylvia

TBD
I looked at their results at Challenge Cup and it looks like both got their minimums for Jr. Worlds
Both Justine Miclette and Lia Pereira already had their Junior Worlds minimums from the JGP and improved their TES scores in their free skates (Miclette improved SP too) — congrats to both on a successful competition! :)

ETA:

Miclette 25.53 (JGP SVK) to 29.00 (CC); 40.62 (JGP SVK) to 49.86 (CC)

Pereira 26.69 (JGP RUS); 40.19 (JGP RUS) to 53.07 (CC)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information