Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
So is the IOC asking the women to skate just to go on with the $how? As if commanding: “Skate but there’ll be no medals!” I hope that all 30 will eventually be well paid…from Shabotova on up. A lot of money is being made in ad revenue during the women’s FS events.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The other who is impacted are Tutberidze girls. Most ''others'' cannot even dream about Olympic podium. Valieva is not on dope now. She is clean and under a lot of pressure. They cannot bit her even in this situation.
People keep saying this and then it is explained that this is not how this particular doping (and most doping for that matter) work.

Athletes dope while training to gain an advantage that carries over into the competition. This advantage can actually carry over for years sometimes depending on what it is.

So do people keep repeating it because they didn't read the explanation or are they just being trolls who know damn well how it works??

Muffin

Its not the same. Her abilities are not enhanced by dope at he moment - so she competes on her own merit.
She's been spending all season with the endurance to go through 5 full run-throughs of her program every day, not to mention countless repetitions of her jumps, due to the help of a banned endurance drug. That's why she's able to do the programs she's able to do and it's not "her own merit", it's cheating.

Lara111

She's been spending all season with the endurance to go through 5 full run-throughs of her program every day, not to mention countless repetitions of her jumps, due to the help of a banned endurance drug. That's why she's able to do the programs she's able to do and it's not "her own merit", it's cheating.
Well she than should be banned and her coaches jailed - I think

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
She tested negative after her positive test

So if I robbed a bank a few weeks ago, but didn't rob a bank today, I'm no longer a bank robber!
The even better analogy would be that you ran a red light and got caught by one of those traffic cameras, but told the judge that the ticket should be dismissed because you've been through that intersection plenty of times since then and didn't get caught running the red light. I'd love to see the look on a judge's face if some 15-year old with a permit and an adult in the passenger seat tried that excuse in traffic court.

Muffin

Well she than should be banned and her coaches jailed - I think
My ideal would be that her coaches, the team doctor, and anyone from the skating club or ROC who participated in the doping and/or the coverup, be jailed and banned for life from the sport. I don't think that will happen.

I think Valieva should be suspended until the end of the season as it's not fair for her to compete at this time, but I wish that she and all of the other girls on Team Tutberidze (current and upcoming) would be taken on by a coach/club that care about their health and wellbeing and will give them the type of non-abusive coaching they deserve.

I would love to see Valieva skate again in the future. No quads if they are going to be harmful to her health. There's absolutely no reason why people should be acting like a 15-year-old skater is having her one-and-only chance at the Olympics. This Olympics should be a warm up for her! She should be planning to come back and win at age 19, 23, or even 27! Everybody knows the reason why this is probably her only chance is because in two years, she'll be physically wrecked just like the many Tutberidze skaters that came before her.

Meoima

I am just tired of this situation. The latest is this https://t.co/uJAEvNJDGZ
The skater, Kamila Valieva, was cleared to continue competing in the Games by a panel of arbitrators on Monday even though one of the drugs found in her system, trimetazidine, is on the list of drugs banned by global antidoping officials. Valieva, 15, provided the sample in December, but Russian antidoping officials said they only learned of her positive result last week. But according to documents reviewed by The New York Times and confirmed by someone who took part in the hearing, the Stockholm laboratory that carried out the examination of Valieva’s sample also found evidence of two other heart medications, hypoxen and L-Carnatine, that are not on the banned list. The presence of trimetazidine in Valieva’s system may have been a mistake, Russian and Olympic officials have suggested. But the discovery of several substances in the sample of an elite athlete, especially one as young as Valieva, was highly unusual, according to a prominent antidoping official. “It’s a trifecta of substances — two of which are allowed, and one that is not allowed,” said Travis Tygart, the chief executive of the United States Anti-Doping Agency, when told of the discovery. He added that the benefits of such a combination “seem to be aimed at increasing endurance, reducing fatigue and promoting greater efficiency in using oxygen.”
Now... what on earth... how can a 15 years old kid get 3 heart medicines in her system? If it's just one we can say it's "accidental" but seriously...

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I am just tired of this situation. The latest is this https://t.co/uJAEvNJDGZ

Now... what on earth... how can a 15 years old kid get 3 heart medicines in her system? If it's just one we can say it's "accidental" but seriously...
The other two are not "heart medications". They are supplements and anti-oxidants. Kamila told the CAS panel that she took them. One of them is extremely common to be taken by athletes and the other is similar to another common supplement.

I am very pissed off that a doping skater is appearing at the Olympics but let's not fall into exaggeration and unnecessary outrage.

Meoima

The other two are not "heart medications". They are supplements and anti-oxidants. Kamila told the CAS panel that she took them. One of them is extremely common to be taken by athletes and the other is similar to another common supplement.

I am very pissed off that a doping skater is appearing at the Olympics but let's not fall into exaggeration and unnecessary outrage.
The article says:
The teenage Russian figure skater at the center of a doping case at the Beijing Olympics had three substances that can be used to treat heart conditions in the sample she provided to an antidoping laboratory before the Games, according to a document filed in her arbitration hearing on Sunday.

Meoima

Not criticizing you @Meoima but the issue isn't whether it's harmful or dangerous. It's whether it enhances athletic performance.
That is not what I know of tbh. I am not working in the medical field. I simply quote what I saw. I hope someone who knows medication would help us with this.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
That is not what I know of tbh. I am not working in the medical field. I simply quote what I saw. I hope someone who knows medication would help us with this.

That's what I mean, I'm not criticizing you for passing this along. I think the person who wrote the Tweet is not clear on the issue.

nikjil

I'm sorry, there's a reason that there are lots of warning regarding children taking medication that has not been approved for kids. The same with supplements. These are young, developing bodies and we don't know the long-term effects of medications, particularly if they are not being taken for heart problems. I'm appalled and sickened at how careless Team Eteri appears to be with the skaters entrusted to their care.

Muffin

The other two are not "heart medications". They are supplements and anti-oxidants.
I agree with you to a certain extent here...L-Carnitine is a naturally-occurring amino acid that would correctly be categorized as a supplement. The Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition says it is a supplement taken by competitive athletes, and their research seems to indicate that it doesn't have proven long-term negative affects.

However Hypoxen is a synthetic drug. It doesn't seem to be available outside of Russia (at least not under that name), but it's advertised as a drug to increase the body's performance in extreme situations. Figure skating is not an extreme situation. It seems to be commonly used by mountain climbers to help battle hypoxia while climbing at high altitudes. It's serious for a 15-year-old girl to be routinely taking that medication, and I certainly wouldn't give it to a child or allow my child to take it.

Perhaps there should be a new category of drugs that are banned just for people under 18, so that coaches and parents who only care about athletic performance and not about long-term health can't be giving them to a child.

Meoima

I agree with you to a certain extent here...L-Carnitine is a naturally-occurring amino acid that would correctly be categorized as a supplement. The Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition says it is a supplement taken by competitive athletes, and their research seems to indicate that it doesn't have proven long-term negative affects.

However Hypoxen is a synthetic drug. It doesn't seem to be available outside of Russia (at least not under that name), but it's advertised as a drug to increase the body's performance in extreme situations. Figure skating is not an extreme situation. It seems to be commonly used by mountain climbers to help battle hypoxia while climbing at high altitudes. It's serious for a 15-year-old girl to be routinely taking that medication, and I certainly wouldn't give it to a child or allow my child to take it.

Perhaps there should be a new category of drugs that are banned just for people under 18, so that coaches and parents who only care about athletic performance and not about long-term health can't be giving them to a child.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:I am just speechless. Thank you for the information. It is sad because out of all Eteri girls, I like Kamila the most. Now we have no idea if she gave the other girls the same kind of "medication" and somehow only Kamila got caught. How on earth FS get away from this taint at this point I am so tired.

Lara111

Some teen athletes get sport induced hypoxia right around this time of intense growth. may be she needed support including some medications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information