Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bladesofgorey

No one has any is any ideas of how to change things other than getting counselors in there for these federations so the kids have someone to talk to besides their coaches.
Incorrect. Worldwide coaches and federations need to be trained in what constitutes abusive training methods and interactions and if they cross the line they are banned for good. Federations who do not enforce this cannot participate.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I would like to see parents get more involved and not automatically send their kids to a coach not knowing what they're really sending their child to.

With all due respect, you're being really naive about this issue.

Parents don't always have a choice. Sometimes there are only a few coaches (or one coach) in the area with the qualifications to teach skaters at higher levels. Sometimes the parents can only afford what a particular coach is charging. Sometimes parents get the "message" from the federation or from other sources (e.g. judges, officials) that their skater isn't going to get further in the sport if the skater doesn't work with a particular coach.

And when parents meet with a coach about working with their skater, the coach isn't going to tell them, "My skaters get water as a special treat and I expect them to perform when they're injured", even if that's what they actually do. Coaches are good about selling themselves and portraying themselves positively, and that includes abusive coaches.

Last edited:

Scott512

No, she has not competed internationally so she is not on the WS or SB lists. But if Italy hosts again, she might be considered for a host spot.
Please let Italy host again.

Good luck to Maria I'm sorry she did not skate this season how do you ever recover from that?
Her friend Nastya also transferred and she will skate at Europeans and possibly the olympic and worlds.

Maria is of no threat to the top few Russian ladies so why not just release her and let her have a year I'm year of remembrance instead of a year of nothing?

Scott512

With all due respect, you're being really naive about this issue.

Parents don't always have a choice. Sometimes there are only a few coaches (or one coach) in the area with the qualifications to teach skaters at higher levels. Sometimes the parents can only afford what a particular coach is charging. Sometimes parents get the "message" from the federation or from other sources (e.g. judges, officials) that their skater isn't going to get further in the sport if the skater doesn't work with a particular coach.

And when parents meet with a coach about working with their skater, the coach isn't going to tell them, "My skaters get water as a special treat and I expect them to perform when they're injured", even if that's what they actually do. Coaches are good about selling themselves and portraying themselves positively, and that includes abusive coaches.
It's not naive to ask the parents to get more involved. It's a must.

Yes coaches are good at selling themselves all over the world. Things need to change so young people have a better opportunities to not be broken by not making it. And that is of course like 99% of the athletes.

Scott512

Finally an explanation for her long absence! Not (necessarily!) planning to switch countries, then.
She needs to switch for her future. She won't even get challengers as a senior in Russia. Liza B is a beautiful and lyrical skater. She will be buried by the top Russian girls the way so many others have been.

Sorry she's injured. But if she misses junior nationals there will be an opportunity to transfer and still live and train in Moscow like other skaters do.

Last edited:

Scott512

Incorrect. Worldwide coaches and federations need to be trained in what constitutes abusive training methods and interactions and if they cross the line they are banned for good. Federations who do not enforce this cannot participate.
Um all for that. But how do we kick start that? And how involved does the ISU have to be? If some of the stronger federations may respect that organization.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It's not naive to ask the parents to get more involved. It's a must.

Yes coaches are good at selling themselves all over the world. Things need to change so young people have a better opportunities to not be broken by not making it. And that is of course like 99% of the athletes.

Where did I say that parents should not be involved? You're completely missing the point. Most parents are very involved with their kids' skating, especially if they are paying for it. But not all parents have the same level of knowledge of how the sport works or what to look out for.

And it's highly ironic that you are saying "things need to change so young people have better opportunities to not be broken by not making it". Not too long ago you were all about winners being the ones who don't quit.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Just wanted to put this here:

Steven Rice, one of Ziegler's coaches, revealed that she recently suffered some injuries that left her status in doubt prior to the U.S. Championships.

"We had a few setbacks in December, leading up to this," Rice said. "We actually didn't know if she was going to be here today. She sprained her ankle; then she had a sesamoid bone injury that affected the ball of her foot. She's been wearing a boot here all week, and she couldn't do Axels, Salchows, and toe loops for about three weeks. But Ava is a true fighter, and when it counts, she'll do it. She's very tough mentally."

Arch-

In case you missed it. Liu has w/d from Nats after a pos *****-19 test Thurs night.

Not that it affects Russian women directly, but this is the 2nd high profile American across the 4 disciplines to withdraw due to *****-19 and Tennel withdrawaling earlier this week from injury. B/C nationals are being held so close to Beijing and the host hotel & venue's *****-19 protocols are so absurdly laxed, I think there is a fairly high probability that no USA figure skater will be allowed to compete and perhaps be granted Visa's. Looks like RUS did it right.

Any talk of RUS skipping EURO's?

Sorry it doesn't look like the page can be linked due to the wording I guess.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
In case you missed it. Liu has w/d from Nats. Not that it affects Russian women directly, but this is the 2nd high profile American across the 4 disciplines to withdraw due to *****-19 and Tennel withdrawaling earlier this week from injury. B/C nationals are being held so close to Beijing and the host hotel & venue's *****-19 protocols are so absurdly laxed, I think there is a fairly high probability that no USA figure skater will be allowed to compete and perhaps be granted Visa's. Looks like RUS did it right.

Any talk of RUS skipping EURO's?

Are you nuts? The reason why Russia held it's Nats 2 weeks ago is because that's when they traditionally hold it. They celebrate Christmas according to the Orthodox calendar and, if you followed any Russian skaters on social media, you'd have seen a bunch of "Merry Christmas!" type of posts and IG stories already today.

Omicron is a friend to no one, regardless of your nationality, and it's raging across much of Europe and North America right now. We'll see just how "right" Russia does things if their fed decides to withdraw their Olympic-bound skaters from Euros.

Arch-

Are you nuts? The reason why Russia held it's Nats 2 weeks ago is because that's when they traditionally hold it. They celebrate Christmas according to the Orthodox calendar and, if you followed any Russian skaters on social media, you'd have seen a bunch of "Merry Christmas!" type of posts and IG stories already today.

Omicron is a friend to no one, regardless of your nationality, and it's raging across much of Europe and North America right now. We'll see just how "right" Russia does things if their fed decides to withdraw their Olympic-bound skaters from Euros.
I mean I am kinda nutty :) but still...RUS did do it right whether they intended to or not. I knew the Xmas ortho calendar reasoning for the timing of nats.

But, and I'm probably wrong, for some reason I think I remember my pas de deux partner in the late 90's translating Butyrskaya blaming RUS (at that time) historical singles' under performance at Worlds & Olympics (Remember she was the first World Champ in 99, and I think still the oldest) with something about having to peak 3x in 3 months, and it was harder for the women b/c men & pairs could withdrawl at no consequence. But since RUS women's singles success was lacking, competition between women for spots was demanded and usually required them to complete at nats. She blamed Euro's timing or she thought they would do Nat's closer to world/Olympics to judge who was at peak performance then and not months before....but the reasoning made no sense, since we thought Euro's was a contribution to the final team too.

Arch-

What exactly is the difference between going to US Nats and going to Euros a week later? :confused:
I'm sorry, maybe I am misunderstanding you. The US doesn't participate in Euro's. They do FCC.

But either one requires international travel with quarantine there, the quarantine back home, and I think a 14 day quarantine in Beijing. Sounds like a lot of not training.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'm sorry, maybe I am misunderstanding you. The US doesn't participate in Euro's. They do FCC.
Euros is next week. If Russia still insists on making their Olympic-bound skaters compete one last time at Euros to ensure their selection to the WOG, how different is that going to be from the US skaters going to compete at US Nats this week? Or the Canadian skaters from competing at Can Nats also this week? It's not. FWIW, this was posted in the Dance Hall thread last night - https://tekdeeps.com/russian-speed-skating-team-in-quarantine/

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

But either one requires international travel with quarantine there, the quarantine back home, and I think a 14 day quarantine in Beijing. Sounds like a lot of not training.

Yes, I've actually noticed that the US is not in Europe. Russia participates in Euros, however. You know, the country that you are saying is so much smarter for doing their nationals early and not exposing their team this late before the olys?

Arch-

Euros is next week. If Russia still insists on making their Olympic-bound skaters compete one last time at Euros to ensure their selection to the WOG, how different is that going to be from the US skaters going to compete at US Nats this week? Or the Canadian skaters from competing at Can Nats also this week? It's not. FWIW, this was posted in the Dance Hall thread last night - https://tekdeeps.com/russian-speed-skating-team-in-quarantine/

You are 100% right. If I were the Rufed I would certainly not send any of my potential Olympic or Olympic Alternates, or with the women top 8 eligible, anywhere except Beijing. Even then I'd probably only send the Team Competition participants and keep the others as bubbled wrapped as possible.

But that being said, 7 days is a HUGE deal with domestic & international quarantine protocols. Especially with worse case scenario and someone has to leave the closed loop bubble while in China. I mean, they ARE allowing spectators to clap but NOT clap excessively nor shout or cheer at all. I feel like if there is any reason they even suspect an issue, they will quarantine an athlete no matter who they are, and they will miss their comp.

Evidently they are now not allowing non-vac athletes med exemption except in the most severe cases, like past vaccination reactions. Even then it's a 14 day quarantine if not vaccinated.

Arch-

Yes, I've actually noticed that the US is not in Europe. Russia participates in Euros, however. You know, the country that you are saying is so much smarter for doing their nationals early and not exposing their team this late before the olys?
Yo, definitely not saying Russia is 'so much smarter' than anyone. And I was responding to the convo about Euro's, you know, the conversation and question I, myself, personally wrote, and actually asked...not the Olympics. Please do not create a false assumptions and attempt to twist my words to fit your narrative. I clearly make my thoughts known so there is no confusion. I am an adult, so when I'm confused about something, I politely ask for clarification.

So, this is a thread about Russian Women's Figure Skating. For some members English is not their 1st...or 2nd...or 3rd language, the the proper thing is to politely inform. So when someone makes a statement like:
What exactly is the difference between going to US Nats and going to Euros a week later? :confused:
I don't assume 1) English is their 1st language in a Russian chat discussion 2) They know the US isn't sending a team to Euro's the next week, because they aren't European.

What I said was 'did it right'. Then I said 'did it right whether they wanted to or not'. So I'll repeat myself one more time, I didn't say Russia is soon much smarter than everyone else.

Maybe it's time to take that nap?

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Bold to assume that the polite thing to do on a figure skating forum is to assume that everyone else has no idea what they are talking about when it comes to the basics of figure skating, but okay.

And I was responding to the convo about Euro's, you know, the conversation and question I, myself, personally wrote, and actually asked...not the Olympics. Please do not create a false assumptions and attempt to twist my words to fit your narrative. I clearly make my thoughts known so there is no confusion.

I have no idea what you are talking about. You weren't responding to anything when you said that Russia did it right by holding their nationals earlier. Since they are currently still sending their entire team to Euros as part of determining their Olympic team, how are they currently doing it right? Their skaters are competing a week after the US and Canadian skaters.

Arch-

Bold to assume that the polite thing to do on a figure skating forum is to assume that everyone else has no idea what they are talking about when it comes to the basics of figure skating, but okay.

I have no idea what you are talking about. You weren't responding to anything when you said that Russia did it right by holding their nationals earlier. Since they are currently still sending their entire team to Euros as part of determining their Olympic team, how are they currently doing it right? Their skaters are competing a week after the US and Canadian skaters.
Yes, we all already guessed you have no idea what you are talking about.

Clearly, because after reading my entire statement and question & the article I attached, which was 1000 words by itself, your answer to my question regarding any updates about Russian skaters and the EC I brought to other posters in a Russian Ladies Figure Skating Forum in hopes of a Russian or further Eastern European poster who may have more access to Russian news might answer the said question; was not to answer the question at all (since you don't even know what I'm talking about anyway) and instead attack me for a 7 word side slang comment that only a nationalist would comprehended as a pro-russian/anti-american statement, which I certainly had no intention of making since its against the forum's rules....its just truly absurd and makes me very uncomfortable.

Today's Lesson: Don't answer questions you don't know the answer to.

And I am declaring you the winner. Congrats. This is the last comment I'll be making on this particular situation. There seems to be a lack of comprehension. Maybe you are ignoring the posters I've responded to and not seeing the answers to questions you are reasking? I can see that as frustrating. But everything else aside, being a bully typically means there is something deeper and I hope you find your peace.

Unless someone can actually answer the question I asked (with an answer I can not Google myself) and what the Russian Ladies Figure Skating forum is for, that'd be awesome. I eat up the inner-rusfed gossip.

Last edited:

trouble77

Banned Member
I haven't heard anything or see posts from any Russian Figure skater I follow on IG. I don't think Eteri will allow her girls to skip Euros. I also don't think they will want to. Becoming the next European Champion is very appealing.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Since most of the Russian skaters have had the 'rona anyway AND they are all vaccinated...maybe they are just not that likely to catch it again? I know, Omicron and all...but couldn't that be a thing?

pointbleu

Since most of the Russian skaters have had the 'rona anyway AND they are all vaccinated...maybe they are just not that likely to catch it again? I know, Omicron and all...but couldn't that be a thing?
They would be a fool then… I know few people who got Alpha or Delta and got Omicron nevertheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information