2022 Nationals in Nashville

Sylvia

TBD
I would imagine that this year especially they might send a completely different team to 4CC and Olympics.
I thought the US already said they weren't sending their Olympic team to 4CC? (Sorry that may be what you're saying and I'm just not getting it haha).
Yes, they (USFS) are sending 2 different teams to 4CC and Olympics -- link to the 4CC selection criteria is posted here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...cation-to-tallinn.108605/page-12#post-6070176

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It look like only Mexico (Donovan Carrillo), Australia (Men & Women), and Korea are sending their Olympic-bound athletes to 4CCs also.

Debbie S

My main thoughts now are about the athletes traveling and flight cancelations, both for this event, returning home, and those on their way to 4CC or the Olympics.
I worry about this too, for both the athletes and myself. The memory of my nightmarish trip to and from Detroit 3 years ago is still fresh in my mind. Hopefully, travel calms down next week and the new CDC quarantine guidelines help ease staffing shortages.

Debbie S

I thought it was reported that most are taking chartered flights.
To/from the Olys, but I believe the chartered flights are only operating between Beijing and a handful of cities (I think Tokyo is one) so athletes have to get to those cities. And they are not taking chartered flights to/from Nats or 4CC.

Karen-W

I'm pretty sure that the USOPC has planned chartered flights from the US to Beijing on Delta, independent of the limited flights being arranged from Tokyo, Sydney, Paris (and one other city that I'm forgetting off the top of my head) by the Beijing organizers & IOC. I could be wrong but I don't think the USOPC is taking any chances. Granted, the athletes still need to get to wherever the Delta flights will be originating from within the US, but hopefully it is less traveling and opportunity for incidental exposure.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
The Renaissance Hotel (the official hotel) is connected to Bridgestone Arena by an underground tunnel. The tunnel goes under Broadway and is only available to credentialed folks.
I understand why they're keeping us out, but that's a bummer. Would have been nice for the rainy days! I know we can walk through the 5th and Broadway complex, but that's not really appealing with the current crud situation.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
With Skate Canada's announcement today, I am concerned. I hope for all of you going to our US nationals, I pray it stays open to audience. With the protocols in place, I think it should be fine? I am not going in person but I like the audience for the skaters. Everyone stay safe!

jlai

Question everything
So if you don't have the clear app or can't make it work can you show your vaccine card? or is it just the clear app and nothing else?

Also, the usfs email says the refund deadline is 1/2 but the ticketmaster email says 1/5. Which one is it?

Sylvia

TBD
@jlai this (from earlier in the thread) sounds reasonable:
Does anyone know if there is an alternative to the clear app for those who don't use cell phones? There really has to be one, but I don't know if the USFSA has made arrangements or if those people will have to make a fuss when they get there.
I suspect original vaccination cards matched against an ID will also suffice. The main reason venues use the Clear app is for efficiency.

ross_hy

Did the ticket refund email happen to indicate if those tickets would then be resold? I’ve procrastinated buying tickets and am wondering if better seats will become available after the refund deadline.

Tahuu

Karen-W

USFS, please follow Canadian’s lead and cancel live audience and the gala.

The chance of your Olympic team members getting omicron and can’t enter China is too high a risk to take. Once infected they’ll not have time to wait for a negative PCR test and thus will be denied entry into China.

Typical ********* infection and test timelines here https://www.mdpi.com/sensors/sensors-21-06581/article_deploy/html/images/sensors-21-06581-g001.png
The audience isn't going to come into contact with the athletes at US Nationals. What purpose is there in cancelling the gala? I'm sure that the athletes who are named to the Olympic team or who are in the mix for consideration are going to be taking every precaution possible already. It's time to move past the fear.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
The audience isn't going to come into contact with the athletes at US Nationals. What purpose is there in cancelling the gala? I'm sure that the athletes who are named to the Olympic team or who are in the mix for consideration are going to be taking every precaution possible already. It's time to move past the fear.
"It's time to move past the fear" is not a great phrase to use when people are still dying.

I agree that they can have a gala, but maybe not the production numbers. It's just a smart idea to avoid groups if you want to stay disease free right now.

Karen-W

"It's time to move past the fear" is not a great phrase to use when people are still dying.

I agree that they can have a gala, but maybe not the production numbers. It's just a smart idea to avoid groups if you want to stay disease free right now.
Cutting out the production numbers seems like a reasonable suggestion.

Liz V

On the color coded schedule, anyone else wondering or know if the Monday times are correct or potentially venue flipped? I ask because on all other days they list the main venue then the practice venue. However on Monday it is practice then main venue. Any volunteers on here who might be able to confirm?

Tahuu

As of now vaccinated are not required to be PCR tested negative to enter the arena. Vaccination will not stop omicron transmission. There’ll be many of them omicron infected conceivably in the audience. Unless the arena is negative pressured, which of course is not, there’ll be plenty of viruses in the arena air. Some of the athletes will be sure get infected afterwards.

Karen-W

As of now vaccinated are not required to be PCR tested negative to enter the arena. Vaccination will not stop omicron transmission. There’ll be many of them omicron infected conceivably in the audience. Unless the arena is negative pressured, which of course is not, there’ll be plenty of viruses in the arena air. Some of the athletes will be sure get infected afterwards.
Okay, I'll be happy to say you were right if it turns out any athletes are infected post-Nationals. But, if the audience isn't coming into contact with the skaters then I fail to see how they are going to infect any of them.

Sylvia

TBD
On the color coded schedule, anyone else wondering or know if the Monday times are correct or potentially venue flipped? I ask because on all other days they list the main venue then the practice venue. However on Monday it is practice then main venue.
I assume the practice rink (closed to anyone who is not credentialed) is listed in the first column for Monday, Jan. 3 because the start time is earlier there than at the main rink.

The current colored schedule is correct, AFAIK.

Karen-W

Viruses are in the air circulation in the arena.
Exactly how many people are being infected by attending NBA or NHL games? Social distancing still works wonders and I'm positive the skaters will keep themselves appropriately distanced to prevent transmission of the virus.

Tahuu

Exactly how many people are being infected by attending NBA or NHL games? Social distancing still works wonders and I'm positive the skaters will keep themselves appropriately distanced to prevent transmission of the *****.
Should be a lot. For general population omicron is a gift from god to let us all get a natural “immunity” to c’vid, but it’s a different story for the athletes needing a PCR negative result to enter China.

Karen-W

Should be a lot. For general population omicron is a gift from god to let us all get a natural “immunity” to c’vid, but it’s a different story for the athletes needing a PCR negative result to enter China.
Again, you are making a huge leap that ANY of the skaters who are in the mix for an Olympic spot are going to mix with the general population/audience at Nationals. We already know that Hubbell/Donohue stay in airBnBs at competitions and were doing that pre-C19. Do you think the rest aren't being just as careful?

Sylvia

TBD
Replying here rather than in the OAS thread:
Anyone want to bet that the US Olympic-bound ice dancers are now packing their bags with the expectation that they won't be returning to Montreal post-Nationals?
Madison Hubbell addressed this during H/D's pre-Nationals media call: https://twitter.com/anythinggoe/status/1473073128498675712
“The absolute worst case scenario that we get stuck in the U.S. for 2 weeks between Nationals and the Olympics– we know we can find adequate training and proper care, so in that scenario we’ll do a couple weeks on zoom with our coaches and meet them in China.”

Mayra

Okay, I'll be happy to say you were right if it turns out any athletes are infected post-Nationals. But, if the audience isn't coming into contact with the skaters then I fail to see how they are going to infect any of them.
I fully expect a number of athletes to become infected before, during and after the event. Not because of the air circulating in the arena, but because the newest variant is highly transmissible and most of these athletes and coaches are flying in commercial airlines. They're staying in a general hotel and mostly eating out in some way. Even amongst themselves and those being tested, anything can happen in the 3 days after you were tested, and yes, vaccinated people are carriers too.

The state of TN isn't known for it's covid protocols. Only 52% of the state is fully vaccinated (Davidson county 62%) and they're reporting a 102% increase in cases overall.

These athletes are walking into a petri dish.

To be fair, I think this would have been the case in any city and unless you live in a bubble, this is the risk you take. Maybe it's a good thing if this "milder" variant infects athletes now vs February. :shuffle:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I agree that they can have a gala, but maybe not the production numbers.
When I looked at the colored schedule, I didn't see any times when they would rehearse numbers with the whole group. I guess we'll see.

The athletes are much more likely to get infected traveling, eating out, and interacting with each other backstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information