From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Never paid much attention before to Artemieva and Nazarychev, but they have really become more confident and stable.

She is very clutch like Pavlyuchenko, Russian pairs is so deep, second only to the womens.
Post 2022 we could see a Golden Era in Russian Pairs. Tarasova / Morozv will not be included as they are considered not from the new generation and too Old.

Mishina / Galliamov
Boikova / Kozlovsky
Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin
Artemeiva / Nazarychev
Akopova / Rakhmanin

A pleothora of Juniors with difficult jumps and elements, I will only list some junior pairs with an acceptable height difference

Mukhortova / Evgenyev
Khabibullina / Knyazhuk
Akhanteva / Kolsekov
Geinish / Mironov
Kostyuk / Chigiriev

Panfilova / Rylov hope they can come back next season, They have the best elements, if they can just jump triples a toe and salchow will be enough for them to be competitive, the jumps are lacking but they still are that good.

Last edited:

jiejie

It would not surprise me a bit if Davis/Smolkin take the third Russian Olympic ice dance berth (along with Sin/Kats and Step/Bukin). A very very strong message is being sent with these Warsaw Cup scores. And the most immediate recipients of this message would be Russia's other Senior ice dancers who had not necessarily planned to retire after this season. I can think of a number of teams for which time has basically run out on ever progressing further in their Russian ice dance careers. Put another way, it won't be a fair fight.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
It would not surprise me a bit if Davis/Smolkin take the third Russian Olympic ice dance berth (along with Sin/Kats and Step/Bukin). A very very strong message is being sent with these Warsaw Cup scores. And the most immediate recipients of this message would be Russia's other Senior ice dancers who had not necessarily planned to retire after this season. I can think of a number of teams for which time has basically run out on ever progressing further in their Russian ice dance careers. Put another way, it won't be a fair fight.
At this point of the tragedy I am even preferring Morozov's daughter and partner to Davis/Smolkin. "Scheherazade" has got to beat ****ing "Moulin Rouge". Period.
And this is not easy for me to say since I have been an avid hater of "Moulin Rouge" for the last...let's say couple of years.

aliona22

At this point of the tragedy I am even preferring Morozov's daughter and partner to Davis/Smolkin. "Scheherazade" has got to beat ****ing "Moulin Rouge". Period.
And this is not easy for me to say since I have been an avid hater of "Moulin Rouge" for the last...let's say couple of years.

I thought I preferred Morozova/Partner too, until I saw them in person at Skate America. They are incredibly slow, like memories of Grushina/Goncharov slow. It was disappointing to watch but helped me understand the PCS scores they get internationally.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I thought I preferred Morozova/Partner too, until I saw them in person at Skate America. They are incredibly slow, like memories of Grushina/Goncharov slow. It was disappointing to watch but helped me understand the PCS scores they get internationally.
I liked her costume and their music. And they had some nice ideas in their FD.

But yeah, I get what you say.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Sorry, but Anabelle and her pitiful partner are slow and they look like pairs skaters with no jumps.

hanca

Values her privacy
A pleothora of Juniors with difficult jumps and elements, I will only list some junior pairs with an acceptable height difference

Mukhortova / Evgenyev
Khabibullina / Knyazhuk
Akhanteva / Kolsekov
Geinish / Mironov
Kostyuk / Chigiriev

Panfilova / Rylov hope they can come back next season, They have the best elements, if they can just jump triples a toe and salchow will be enough for them to be competitive, the jumps are lacking but they still are that good.
You said you will mention only those with acceptable height difference and then you mention Mukhortova/Evgenyev? I don’t think this couple actually matches to your demands on height difference.

Akhanteva/Kolesov will not stay together for that long. They have been together the longest from all those junior pairs, they spent 6years in juniors doing JGP and yet they didn’t manage to push their way to the top in Russian juniors. They placed as the lowest ranking Russian junior pair at this years JGP events. They are quite inconsistent and that will hinder them even more in seniors. They already did not manage to qualify for senior nationals this year. It is harsh to say this, but I don’t think this pair has a long term future.

hanca

Values her privacy
I do prefer Davis/Smolkin’s skating to Morozov/Bagin. Morozov’s daughter just put me to sleep. There is no expression, nothing to stand out.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
You said you will mention only those with acceptable height difference and then you mention Mukhortova/Evgenyev? I don’t think this couple actually matches to your demands on height difference.

Akhanteva/Kolesov will not stay together for that long. They have been together the longest from all those junior pairs, they spent 6years in juniors doing JGP and yet they didn’t manage to push their way to the top in Russian juniors. They placed as the lowest ranking Russian junior pair at this years JGP events. They are quite inconsistent and that will hinder them even more in seniors. They already did not manage to qualify for senior nationals this year. It is harsh to say this, but I don’t think this pair has a long term future.
Evgenyev wont have to worry of Mukhortova ever growing much because her built already shows that she wont grow anymore taller.

He is not tall 6 footer but because Mukhortova is simply short in built, this makes him look taller than he really is.
They are few exceptions like Panfilova / Rylov height, if only they can get 3T and 3S They will beat even Boikova / Kozlovski and Mishina / Galliamov, they are that good, even the twist alone could get them +5 GOE.

pointbleu

I do prefer Davis/Smolkin’s skating to Morozov/Bagin. Morozov’s daughter just put me to sleep. There is no expression, nothing to stand out.
Conspiracy or not, Davis/Smolkin’s meteoric rise still remains suspicious for the level of skating shown on the ice. Their lastest score implies they could be contender for a bronze medal. That would be a shame for the integrity of the sport.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Conspiracy or not, Davis/Smolkin’s meteoric rise still remains suspicious for the level of skating shown on the ice. Their lastest score implies they could be contender for a bronze medal. That would be a shame for the integrity of the sport.
Not a World medal yet, maybe by Euros who could blame them G/F and S/B are flopping these season getting 79 SD and barely getting 120 in FD

olympic

TSL goes on about Diana Davis.

Piper and Paul's score at France took a dive and Davis / Gleb shot up at Warsaw. That is a quite coincidental (IDK what happened. I just looked at the scores)

Question - She has an Anglo surname. Was Eteri married to a Brit / American / Canadian?

love_skate2011

Banned Member
She has Davis as last name like Meryl Davis, does it matter though :confused:

unless Davis surname means that she and partner will become World and Olympic champions soon.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
But Diana's patronymic is "Sergeevna" IIRC.
There have been quite a few rumors about who her father is and there are different stories out there.
I even saw on twitter a conspiracy
that Eteri "spawned" Diana without a father.

Kinda like with Wonder Woman Diana from Clay ? or Zeus breaking his skull to birth Athena.

Sylvia

TBD
Jonathan Guerreiro is quoted in this article:
"Tiffany is back on the ice, we are training with her. Tiffany is generally a unique athlete and personality who always manages to do the impossible. This is not the first time she does what seems impossible. We started (training) with 15 minutes, and now it is We train in a good volume. We understand that there is a month before the Russian Championship. We look positively and believe that we will have time to prepare, and quite adequately," Guerreiro told reporters.
"This is such an Olympic story, a story of overcoming, an inspiring story, as it was, for example, with (gymnast Arthur) Dalaloyan in Tokyo. God grant that Tiffany succeeds, we succeed," he added.

mjb52

I feel like that internet mob mentality pile-on thing is starting to happen with D/S. Like, ok, everyone gets it, their score at this one event was high. I still don't think they have any chance at making the team this year. Being set up for the next quad maybe.

You may quote me derisively in a few months if I am wrong lol

Andrea82

Re Davis/Smolkin

yes, their Warsaw Cup score was out of control. However, the scoring at that event was over-generous for many teams, not just them.

For instance
Davis/Smolkin went from 184.62 at Cup of Austria (previous week) to 199.90 at Warsaw Cup
Mollly Lanaghan/Dmitre Razgulajevs (Canada) went from 154.03 in Austria to 170.19 in Warsaw
Aleksandra SAMERSOVA / Kevin OJALA (Estonia) went from 124.40 in Austria to 138.80 (with a fall on the twizzles) in Warsaw

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Re Davis/Smolkin

yes, their Warsaw Cup score was out of control. However, the scoring at that event was over-generous for many many teams, not just them.

For instance
Davis/Smolkin went from 184.62 at Cup of Austria (previous week) to 199.90 at Warsaw Cup
Mollly Lanaghan/Dmitre Razgulajevs (Canada) went from 154.03 in Austria to 170.19 in Warsaw
Aleksandra SAMERSOVA / Kevin OJALA (Estonia) went from 124.40 in Austria to 138.80 (with a fall on the twizzles) in Warsaw
Add Muramoto/Takahashi who went from 70.74 I'm the RD at NHK to 75.99 in the RD at Warsaw.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Channel One’s morning show just showed a preview of Team Russia in Sochi. For example, Pavliuchenko/Khodikin preparing even more new acrobatic transitions! Whoever finds it first, please feel free to upload. (I saw on regular TV; YouTube version not yet up.)

love_skate2011

Banned Member
They need to take a few acrobatic transitions out, not add more. I love the transitions but they need to be clean and fast. Maybe they have improved on that since we last saw them but then adding more does not make sense.
They want to be known of the innovative pairs skaters
They want to be set apart from Mishina / Galliamov, Boikova / Kozlovsky, Artemeiva / Nazarychev

They may need it, considering Russia has many juniors going to be seniors next season, pairs is the second deepest field russian discipline only after the ladies.

Mayra

I posted this in the WorldWide Health forum as well...

Unvaccinated Russian minors won't have to quarantine for Beijing

“The IOC has confirmed that our athletes will not be put in quarantine because we are not allowed to vaccinate minors,” RIA news agency quoted Stanislav Pozdnyakov, president of the Russian Olympic Committee, as saying. “We have seven such athletes at this point: three figure skaters and four freestyle skiers.”

Apologies if it was already posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information