2021/2022 Canadian Men: News and Updates

Colonel Green

Between Roman and Nam, they’ll go with whoever places higher at nationals. That’s the federation’s preferred method unless there are really strong countervailing considerations. Canada’s second man in 2022 will be like Canada’s third woman in 2018 — not for team event use, so just along for the ride.

RoseRed

Between Roman and Nam, they’ll go with whoever places higher at nationals. That’s the federation’s preferred method unless there are really strong countervailing considerations. Canada’s second man in 2022 will be like Canada’s third woman in 2018 — not for team event use, so just along for the ride.
Yeah, I think so. Unless someone has a really strong fall season, they'll just go by Nationals.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Saw a tweet from one week ago by an Ontario-based account that's followed by a few people in the figure skating world (including KMT) stating that Stephen Gogolev is still injured and it's not clear if he's back on the ice yet. Not sure if that's true, but it sounds plausible. If true, I hope he can get back on the ice soon and make a full and permanent recovery.

screech

Since mens is the first individual event, do we think SC will end up splitting the men in the team event? We're likely to rank 4-6 in mens no matter which of our men take part, though as usual, Keegan has a better chance of getting to the higher end of that range.
We can't split ladies, so it'll be between men, pairs and dance. Our second-ranked dance team is likely stronger than our second-ranked pairs team, so IMO it makes most sense to split men and dance (if anything ends up split).

Colonel Green

Since mens is the first individual event, do we think SC will end up splitting the men in the team event?
No. It will be our strongest doing both, as in 2018 (where the only place they didn’t use only one was women’s, and there if Kaetlyn hadn’t been flopping in the free all season they might not have split either).

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Since mens is the first individual event, do we think SC will end up splitting the men in the team event? We're likely to rank 4-6 in mens no matter which of our men take part, though as usual, Keegan has a better chance of getting to the higher end of that range.
We can't split ladies, so it'll be between men, pairs and dance. Our second-ranked dance team is likely stronger than our second-ranked pairs team, so IMO it makes most sense to split men and dance (if anything ends up split).
No. It will be our strongest doing both, as in 2018 (where the only place they didn’t use only one was women’s, and there if Kaetlyn hadn’t been flopping in the free all season they might not have split either).
Superficially, I tend to agree with @Colonel Green that SC won't split the men but thinking about it a but more, I think if they have a scenario where one man has been skating consistent, strong SPs but struggling in the FS while another has been strong in both, then it is possible they could split the assignments. I don't think it is likely because apart from Keegan, most of the Canadian men are inconsistent as heck, but I don't think it is entirely out of the realm of possibility. Men would be the better option to split, if they do decide to split it, than Pairs, that's for sure at this point.

greenapple

I cannot imagine that Skate Canada will not split the men for the Team Event, no matter who goes. So I am betting that whoever is the stronger SP skater will do that and the best free skater will do the LP.

Colonel Green

I cannot imagine that Skate Canada will not split the men for the Team Event, no matter who goes. So I am betting that whoever is the stronger SP skater will do that and the best free skater will do the LP.
Keegan is both of those things at the moment.

The federation is trying to win a medal — they learned in 2018 that to do that you play your strongest hand.

barbarafan

Keegan is both of those things at the moment.

The federation is trying to win a medal — they learned in 2018 that to do that you play your strongest hand.
question: Anthony Paradis from quebec is now competing in Juniors. Is he too young for the junior grand prix? we have no men at Gdansk poland.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Does anyone know the nature of Gogolev's injuries? I'm wondering if it is the same injury that's not healing or if he is just prone to injuries. Seems like we hardly ever get to see him skate.

barbarafan

We didn't have a spot there. JGP spots are allotted based on the previous Junior Worlds, and Gogolev and Phan were, ah, not good at the last Junior Worlds.
thanks for the explanation. I did not know how that worked. So the few spots we have are filled by either former junior gp or challenge results of last year as there were no nationals last year.?

Sylvia

TBD
Corey Circelli & Wesley Chiu placed 1-2 in the NextGen Simulation competition in July and each received 2 JGP assignments.

3rd to 5th were:
Matthew Newnham 59.87 (5) 114.40 (3) 174.27 (assigned to #7 in Linz)
Aleksa Rakic 66.92 (2) 100.40 (6) 167.32 (listed as an alternate)
Alec Guinzbourg 59.22 (6) 107.70 (4) 166.92 (assigned to #5 in Ljubljana)

screech

Good SP for Keegan at Finlandia. He doubled the second part of his combo after having a veeerrrry low landing on his 4T, but still got 92.39 points. If he'd done the triple toe he would have been around his personal best (96.34). He was also only the 3rd skater out there, so skating later might have had a bit of an influence too.

ETA: haven't seen this situation in a while but he and Jason Brown tied in total SP score. Keegan's ranked ahead though, due TES being the SP tie breaker. They're 1 & 2 heading into the FP, just under 10 points ahead of 3rd place Mikhail Kolyada.

Last edited:

mackiecat

Let’s compare similar competition structure for Roman verses Nam. First full event, a video taped event judged by Ontario judges ( actually some of same tech and judge panel). Roman 244 verses Nam 219

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Wesley Chiu and Stephen Gogolev are on the roster for Warsaw Cup! Great move by Skate Canada to allow for Chiu to get the senior TES minimums and wow it's been so long since we saw Gogolev compete! I hope he's ready to go!

ETA the Austria Challenger entries are out and include Cory Circelli and Beres Clements.

Sylvia

TBD
Corey Circelli & Wesley Chiu placed 1-2 in the NextGen Simulation competition in July and each received 2 JGP assignments.
3rd to 5th were:
Matthew Newnham 59.87 (5) 114.40 (3) 174.27 (assigned to #7 in Linz)
Aleksa Rakic 66.92 (2) 100.40 (6) 167.32 (listed as an alternate)
Alec Guinzbourg 59.22 (6) 107.70 (4) 166.92 (assigned to #5 in Ljubljana)
ETA the Austria Challenger entries are out and include Cory Circelli and Beres Clements [senior international debuts for both].
As well as Aleksa Rakic in the junior event in Graz, Austria - glad to see him listed since he didn't get a JGP opportunity this season.

screech

Well not a perfect SP from Nam (74.32), with the stumble on the 3F and doubling the second part of his combination after a gorgeous 4s, but I definitely noticed some overall improvements - his spins had more speed, and for the first half of the program (before the flip) his actual skating speed seemed really good (he seemed a lot slower after that, though he did head right into his footwork).
Not a fan of his costume, though. Seems too 'heavy' for Nam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information